• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Serrato

I'm still creating my Bug Team (for the Lulz) and so far I have :

Scizor
Scolipede
Galvantula
Volcarona

I still hesitate for the 2 others. I might go for Crustle since it has Stealth Rock and can go Toxic/Protect/Substitute since I need a defensive Pokemon.

But for the last one... Pinsir? Heracross? Something else I don't remember? What would you people suggest?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm mostly annoyed that I've used two soothe bags, which takes a billion hits to activate, and still haven't gotten the happiness yet.

MicH

Fourth perfect IV Scyther. Male this time. Still Swarm. Why :(
EVERY other Scyther in that batch has Technician

spiritfox

I'm still creating my Bug Team (for the Lulz) and so far I have :

Scizor
Scolipede
Galvantula
Volcarona

I still hesitate for the 2 others. I might go for Crustle since it has Stealth Rock and can go Toxic/Protect/Substitute since I need a defensive Pokemon.

But for the last one... Pinsir? Heracross? Something else I don't remember? What would you people suggest?

Vivillion. It's not numbered 666 in the Pokedex for nothing.

Compoundeyes plus Sleep Powder plus Hurricane... muahahahahaha

spiritfox

Woo, got my espeon.

jXE89wC.jpg

Cutest thing.

I think Powder is less useful than expected since sending out a Vivillon pretty much telepaths your intent, right?

Anyway, I finally got to see a sad Chespin that has maximum affection and has been boxed for a long time... and she's so happy when she saw me. :3

So adorable.

I also enjoy teasing Pokémon :p

Bit OT but I find it funny how the regional tournaments in April are in city, city, city, and small town in MA. Works out great for me since I live near there but I'm not patient enough to do all that EV, IV training stuff in order to have any shot at winning.

Serrato

I think Powder is less useful than expected since sending out a Vivillon pretty much telepaths your intent, right?

How does it work really? Does vivillon still receive the fire attack? or it's canceled and the Fire user receive a huge boom in the face? And how is the damage?

spiritfox

How does it work really? Does vivillon still receive the fire attack? or it's canceled and the Fire user receive a huge boom in the face? And how is the damage?

Boom to the face and no damage to Vivillion. It's not a lot of damage, but I think it's based on the attack's power.

I know this because I keep using fire attacks on Viola's Vivillion in the Chateau. OTL

Pachimari

I played my first 2 hours yesterday, and I'm surprised how much I like the atmosphere and new graphics especially. In fact, I were mind blown that I already caught a Pikachu within the first hour of the game! Even 4 Gen I Pokémons wow, nostalgia road!

If I receive or have traded a Pokémon with a NPC, and the one I receive have a nickname, can't I change it's nickname?

I really hate having Pokémons who don't have their original name. =(

spiritfox

Glaceon is probably my favourite of the line (dat hime cut), but espeon is a close second.

I'll like Glaceon more if it wasn't Ice type. It's design is cute but that worst typing ever combined with its slow Speed means Vaporeon does its job better. Ice sucks as a Wall Game Freak!

Tenck

Anyone with Flamethrower TM mind helping me out and teaching it to one of my Pokemon? I just got a TM from that Hex chick, but she wont give me another one (which would probably Flamethrower).

Aggrotek

I'll like Glaceon more if it wasn't Ice type. It's design is cute but that worst typing ever combined with its slow Speed means Vaporeon does its job better. Ice sucks as a Wall Game Freak!

Glaceon has really good SpAtk. Under Blizzard it is a monster.

Wichu

I played my first 2 hours yesterday, and I'm surprised how much I like the atmosphere and new graphics especially. In fact, I were mind blown that I already caught a Pikachu within the first hour of the game! Even 4 Gen I Pokémons wow, nostalgia road!

If I receive or have traded a Pokémon with a NPC, and the one I receive have a nickname, can't I change it's nickname?

I really hate having Pokémons who don't have their original name. =(

I also enjoyed that there were loads of Pokémon from across all generations obtainable early on.

And no, you can't change the nickname of traded Pokémon; I don't think there's any trade-only Pokémon you can't catch in the wild, though. If you're talking about Farfetch'd, it's found on Route 22.

Wichu

31/31/31/x/31/31 female Jolly Technician Scyther

Ain't male, but I'm done with these

Just curious, what parents were you using? The ability is inherited from the mother, so if you bred that with a male with the same IVs, you'd have a decent chance of getting a Technician male:
1/6 (chance of everything but Sp. Atk passing) * 1/2 (chance of male) * 4/5 (chance of Technician passing) = 1/15.

I love how Ninetales looks in this game. The sprites in the past few gens didn't do it much justice. Same goes for some others like Charizard, Blastoise, Zapdos... Zapdos' wings had some strange deformation in BW. Love how slick or graceful some of the animations are when they come out of the pokeballs too. Liepard and Pyroar come to mind.

Also I vote Espeon for best Eevee.

MicH

Just curious, what parents were you using? The ability is inherited from the mother, so if you bred that with a male with the same IVs, you'd have a decent chance of getting a Technician male:
1/6 (chance of everything but Sp. Atk passing) * 1/2 (chance of male) * 4/5 (chance of Technician passing) = 1/15.
Perfect male with Swarm and x/31/31/31/31:31 Technician female. I could breed this one, but I'm fine with this one. I can use the male parent to breed other bug Pokemon

Thsnks for the suggestion though

Kokonoe

Banned
I love how Ninetales looks in this game. The sprites in the past few gens didn't do it much justice. Same goes for some others like Charizard, Blastoise, Zapdos... Zapdos' wings had some strange deformation in BW. Love how slick or graceful some of the animations are when they come out of the pokeballs too. Liepard and Pyroar come to mind.

Also I vote Espeon for best Eevee.

You can catch Ninetales? <3 all the Gen I Pokemon in this game. I'm gonna look it up on the GTS to see how it looks.

Flareon and Espeon are my faves.

-edit-

Gorgeous.

You can catch Ninetales? <3 all the Gen I Pokemon in this game. I'm gonna look it up on the GTS to see how it looks.

Flareon and Espeon are my faves.

-edit-

Gorgeous.
I think it might be friend safari only. I got one from the GTS. Espeon is another one that has benefit from 3D I think. Didn't like its weird DP/BW sprites, though the HG/SS one was cool.

Tenck

Still too long though. They could cut down a lot of the time if you didn't have to be kicked out to the beginning menu every. single. time.

I just checked and yeah you're right. What I was thinking of was regular trade with friends lol. Wonder trade is about 40-50 seconds.

AW SHIT.

First shiny in my life!

... and it's a foongus. Ah well, still cool.

Hah! It's funny that your first shiny is a Foongus.

I've encountered four shiny Pokemon in this game so far, and TWO of them were Foongus. I caught them both.

My other two were an Electrode via Friend Safari and a Hawlucha via breeding; non masuda method breeding I might add, and I didn't hatch many before I was granted a shiny. I beat the game with it, but I doubt an Impish Hawlucha with low IVs will net me many victories against real people.

There is no option for 6 vs 6 in free battles right? I'm not a fan of 3 vs 3 and for rated battles I lack items. And a decent Talonflame counter I guess...

Pachimari

I also enjoyed that there were loads of Pokémon from across all generations obtainable early on.

And no, you can't change the nickname of traded Pokémon; I don't think there's any trade-only Pokémon you can't catch in the wild, though. If you're talking about Farfetch'd, it's found on Route 22.
Yeah, it's Farfetch'd. :)

I'll try go for my first gym badge now.

I don't have any of those and I can't really be bothered to get them honestly.

I'll just keep resetting the 3DS date.
It's not too bad - you can just do the lumiose thing. Use a piece of paper under the slide pad though - it'll probably be easier on it.

Just slide it under there, and leave your 3DS to do other things. It'll take maybe... 10 minutes of waiting to raise it enough? Maybe 15, I'm not sure. Either way, it's going to be faster and easier, and will take less time than resetting your 3DS's date repeatedly.

I evolved my Crobat and my Swoobat in one session last night - raised both their happiness in one go while I was watching TV.

Aytrial

Perfect male with Swarm and x/31/31/31/31:31 Technician female. I could breed this one, but I'm fine with this one. I can use the male parent to breed other bug Pokemon

Thsnks for the suggestion though

I actually specifically aimed for a female Scyther ever since I read about how female manitses are stronger than males.

That and I think Scizor looks slightly feminine.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So I noticed that too much of the third dex is missing since at that point in the game, you tend to find second or third forms in the grass, with quite a few first forms not even showing in hordes. Any remedy for these gaps outside of turning to older games and waiting for the launch of the Pokemon Bank?

I'm 7 bagdes in, and getting close to having one of every evolution resident in my PC. Something like 392 seen and 350 fully registered and resident.

FSLink

Banned
So I noticed that too much of the third dex is missing since at that point in the game, you tend to find second or third forms in the grass, with quite a few first forms not even showing in hordes. Any remedy for these gaps outside of turning to older games and waiting for the launch of the Pokemon Bank?

I'm 7 bagdes in, and getting close to having one of every evolution resident in my PC. Something like 392 seen and 350 fully registered and resident.

Breeding.

Aytrial

Breeding and then evolving if there's a additional stages.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hah! It's funny that your first shiny is a Foongus.

I've encountered four shiny Pokemon in this game so far, and TWO of them were Foongus. I caught them both.

My other two were an Electrode via Friend Safari and a Hawlucha via breeding; non masuda method breeding I might add, and I didn't hatch many before I was granted a shiny. I beat the game with it, but I doubt an Impish Hawlucha with low IVs will net me many victories against real people.

Ah well, I don't actually care about shinies that much, but it was cool to finally catch one.

DaBoss

I have a question for those who were breeding in Gold/Silver (I don't mean for IVs and stuff, just getting more Pokemon).

Did you know that Ditto can be bred with any non-legendary Pokemon? If so how? I remember using Ditto, but I don't know how I knew to use Ditto. I never really used the Internet back then, so I'm kinda confused. It felt like basic knowledge to me.

DedValve

Banned
I'm only going to enter this thread to slap some of you silly with the undeniable truth.

Lefeaon is the superior eveelution. #truthfact

What are the recommendations for Harvest Trevenant? I've got one lying around and I don't want to waste it but I'm not the best at this. What should I be looking at in terms on IVs and EV spread?

I have a question for those who were breeding in Gold/Silver (I don't mean for IVs and stuff, just getting more Pokemon).

Did you know that Ditto can be bred with any non-legendary Pokemon? If so how? I remember using Ditto, but I don't know how I knew to use Ditto. I never really used the Internet back then, so I'm kinda confused. It felt like basic knowledge to me.

I think I knew, but I did not tinker with the breeding mechanics all too much back then. I'm not sure how it was basic knowledge. I think a friend let me know.

I... don't know how I figured that out back then.

It must've been when looking at some breeding guide, as I don't think that anyone really tells you about Ditto ingame.

Korosenai

Eevee is the best of the line. I always die inside if I KO an Eevee, trade/release an Eevee, and evolve an Eevee. Mega Evolution for Eevee please.

I have many spares I can send you.
Mega evolution, it becomes a chimera and has different body pieces of each eevee evolution.

Top Bottom