• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

I need help picking a 5th character for my team, what do you guys would fit with these guys:

Greninja
Gengar
Golurk
Pancham
Yveltal
______

I'm thinking a fire or electric Pokemon, but I want something that's from a newer Pokemon game (so it's new and exciting to me, haha).

There doesn't seem to be too many cool new choices.

I need help picking a 5th character for my team, what do you guys would fit with these guys:

Greninja
Gengar
Golurk
Pancham
Yveltal
______

I'm thinking a fire or electric Pokemon, but I want something that's from a newer Pokemon game (so it's new and exciting to me, haha).

There doesn't seem to be too many cool new choices.

Use Heliolisk. It's an adorable lizard with an awesome theme and a pretty cool moveset. It doesn't really have any tools to deal with other Electric-types, but that's not such a big deal unless you're planning on going hardcore-competitive.

Use Heliolisk. It's an adorable lizard with an awesome theme and a pretty cool moveset. It doesn't really have any tools to deal with other Electric-types, but that's not such a big deal unless you're planning on going hardcore-competitive.

Hmm maybe! He looks kinda cool. I'm not trying to be competitive at all, I'm just trying to finalize my team before I get them all ready for the elite 4. Heh.

Holmes

Heliolisk is awesome but is such a frail little baby. Maybe you can look into an entry hazard layer?

I'm thinking of breeding an Emboar when the bank opens, or in my White file if there are any tutot moves he can use. But with that atrocious speed stat and useless hidden ability, I feel limited to what I can exactly run on him. Curse is an idea but his defense is so bad that it probably won't help. :/ And Heat Crash can be good because Emboar is so heavy...but so many Grass and Ice Pokemon are already so heavy. And Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat.

Argh. Why does his speed have to be so bad.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm trying to decide on Kangaskhan's last move. Right now he has

Nature: Adamant

Fake out
Power-up punch
Sucker punch

Any suggestions? I was thinking Return or Earthquake

Wichu

I'm trying to decide on Kangaskhan's last move. Right now he has

Nature: Adamant

Fake out
Power-up punch
Sucker punch

Any suggestions? I was thinking Return or Earthquake

I'd go for Return as a super-powerful move to use after Power-up Punch, but that leaves you defenseless against defensive Ghost-types. You could run Earthquake over Fake Out if that worries you; using Earthquake as a fourth move leaves you walled by defensive Flying type, which Return would take care of.

People tend to run fake out or power-up punch or was it sucker punch or power-up...

For some more unusual choices if you want to play battle maison triple then consider rock slide for that mode (you're potentially hitting 3 opponents twice, each with a flinch chance). Few people use crunch for a similar probability game (defence drop).

Tiamant

As much as I hate Kangaskhan thanks to it's megaevo I've seen that he learns focus punch. Pairing him with a mat-block Greninja would be hilariously trollesque.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mach punch breloom going to destroy kangaskhan then. :p

Or greninja actually. Mat block's lack of priority is fun to punish.

Wazzy

Banned
I was thinking of Fake Out for doubles since at the moment, it would work better with my team(I've already got two earthquakers) but I guess for singles it's not as good.

I'll try

Power-up Punch
Sucker Punch
Return
Fake Out

and see how I like it and if I don't see good results I'll change Fake Out for Earthquake.

Thanks for the suggetions!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Rage Powder is cast on Parasect. I think I haven't tried it facing another grass-type but it should work.

Hmm, I read on bulba that rage powder wouldn't affect grass types anymore based on Gen 6 changes while researching up on doubles strategy. I assume that powder moves in general are affected by this change.

Tiamant

Hmm, I read on bulba that rage powder wouldn't affect grass types anymore based on Gen 6 changes while researching up on doubles strategy. I assume that powder moves in general are affected by this change.

Well fuck me then, I made Parasect partially as a counter to grass types, especially Breelom D:

Wichu

People tend to run fake out or power-up punch or was it sucker punch or power-up...

For some more unusual choices if you want to play battle maison triple then consider rock slide for that mode (you're potentially hitting 3 opponents twice, each with a flinch chance). Few people use crunch for a similar probability game (defence drop).

Parental Bond doesn't work on multi-target moves in doubles/triples.

JoeM86

Somewhat, yeah..

Rage Powder does work when Grass-types use it, but Grass-type Pokémon ignore it when doing their moves. So if you use Rage Powder as Volcarona for example, to distract attention from say Simipour against a Meganium and a Raichu (random examples), Raichu's moves will be drawn to Volcarona, but Meganium's will not. Same if a Grass-type uses it.

Wichu

I just checked out its move list and I believe I need seed bomb and it has to be an egg move... Happen to have any hoppips with seed bomb?

I'd run Giga Drain over Seed Bomb. The recovery is worth the 5BP drop.

On the topic of egg moves, Encore seems pretty good on it.

I'm trying to come up with a VGC doubles team, and I figured I'd ask you guys for some advice. I haven't really played Pokemon while doubles has been a popular format so I'm not nearly as familiar with strategies and teams to expect compared to singles. It kinda seems that weather and trick room teams are still fairly popular, so I've been keeping that in mind..

The mega I think I want to use on the team is Lucario, strong & fast with good typing and priority moves. The preliminary moveset I'm thinking of is Bullet Punch, Vacuum wave, Blaze Kick?, and Protect.

To set up protection from leading fire attacks against Lucario, and to counter sun, sand, and hail teams I want to have someone to cast Rain Dance next to him if need be, and right now I have Prankster Sableye to fill that role. This is not a set in stone decision, but I've been enjoying trolling Mewtwo X's online way too much with it and it's sort of become a pet project for me. The moves I have on it right now are Taunt, WoW, Knock Off and Recover...I do enjoy having the priority Taunt but I get the feeling anything that I'll REALLY want to Taunt right away will have a Mental Herb so I'm considering that to be the move to get rid of in favor of Rain Dance.

Another Pokemon I really want to involve is Rotom-W, such great typing and has been pretty much the most important pivot on my team in X&Y so far. Right now he has Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, WoW/Thunder Wave, and Reflect/Light Screen. For the new team I think I'll change Volt Switch to Thunder to take advantage of rain.

The next Pokemon that I think fits in is Swift Swim Ludicolo, obviously takes advantage of the rain and I can switch in on powder moves. The moveset I'm thinking of is Fake Out, Scald, Ice Beam and Giga Drain, just an extremely versatile moveset.

From here, I'm still trying to figure out what would be a good fit in the last two slots. I think I have enough Pokemon to take advantage of the rain if I put it up, so I don't think I necessarily need two more Pokemon that benefit from rain. I might want a supporter that can get rid of ailments or heal, but I don't know how viable that really is in VGC rules. I'm tempted to throw Garchomp in there because Garchomp is my favorite Pokemon and well, Garchomp kicks a lot of ass. :D Would Scizor be a good fit, or am I already too weak to fire?

I'm open to any advice and suggestions, I'm hoping to take part in some tournaments in a few weeks!

Wichu

On the topic of Sableye...
ihintZBsMyww1.png

And now, back to leveling :)

ZenaxPure

Well shit, I'm moving on to get my super multi-battle statue next and I'm doing the mega charizard/typhlosion combo because typhlosion is the best starter as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, more to the point I decided to have a Leafeon with chlorophyll as my other pokemon and literally the first egg I hatch is a shiny eevee with the hidden ability/adamant nature. His only perfect IV is attack, but, whatever this is just for maison stuff so I'll take it. Not that I was even trying for a shiny though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Remember how Serebii made an oversight on his site and made pages for the secret XY Legendaries?

Well, look at this new oversight, under "Shopping Details":

BJ1to5i.png

Wichu

What's better on Scrafty, Hi Jump Kick or Drain Punch? He'll also have Ice Punch and Dragon Dance.

On an offensive Dragon Dance set, I'd probably run High Jump Kick for the extra power; Drain Punch is better on Bulk Up sets IMO.

Also I just had a great battle (video code VDUG-WWWW-WWW3-KGRR). I love it when each of my team members does a thing :)

Sableye: ruined Ferrothorn and stopped Azumarill sweeping lategame
Charizard: Volcarona wasn't a fan; met an untimely end thanks to Azumarill's critical hit (with Reflect out, a non-critical hit would have done ~20%, letting me 2HKO with Earthquake)
Quagsire: cleaned up late-game, walling a burned Azumarill despite a critical hit
Florges: survived Kingdra's +1 Waterfall and OHKOed back, as well as healing Sableye's paralysis that could have otherwise screwed it over
Snorlax: walled and KOed Ludicolo, and defeated Klefki
Carbink: set up Stealth Rock that let me score a couple of late-game kills and screens that let my team survive some heavier hits

I did find out earlier that without Sableye around to Taunt, the team gets destroyed by Toxic stall Gliscor :(

CrimsonN0

Mega Aggron with Double Team.

Please fall in a well and die, Justin from Texas.

Seems normal to me.
I ran up against a MegaMewtwo who used Double Team twice.

Against all odds I hit him, killing him in one hit.
Sadder is that if he used pretty much any attacking move instead of Double Team, I would have died.

DaBoss

Oh man, I made a lot of mistakes during that battle, but it was a lot of fun.

The ending was quite funny though lol. I don't know what other move you had on Amoonguss though.

Good game Wichu.

The mega I think I want to use on the team is Lucario, strong & fast with good typing and priority moves. The preliminary moveset I'm thinking of is Bullet Punch, Vacuum wave, Blaze Kick?, and Protect.

what is your Lucario trying to do on your team anyway?
because it looks like it's trying to be mixed (already not a good idea).....then you don't even have a hard-hitting STAB attack

Wichu

Oh man, I made a lot of mistakes during that battle, but it was a lot of fun.

The ending was quite funny though lol. I don't know what other move you had on Amoonguss though.

Good game Wichu.

That was my first time trying this team, so I'm still getting used to it - it doesn't help I haven't actually played doubles properly for ages.

I should have sent in Machamp earlier; I forgot it had Quick Guard that would really have helped against your Bullet Punchers.

Amoonguss has Spore/Rage Powder/Protect/Giga Drain, so it couldn't do anything to Sableye.

what is your Lucario trying to do on your team anyway?
because it looks like it's trying to be mixed (already not a good idea).....then you don't even have a hard-hitting STAB attack

Yeah mixed is what I was thinking of going for, since its base Atk and Sp Atk are within 5 of each other, but yeah no real hard hitting moves with that set. Dropping Vacuum Wave for Close Combat or something I feel is kinda a bit too predictable...but would be able to focus on Atk and hit harder. Alternatively I guess I could go for a Sp Attacker and go with Vacuum Wave, Flash Cannon and Dark Pulse or something.

Top Bottom