• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Holmes

Yeah mixed is what I was thinking of going for, since its base Atk and Sp Atk are within 5 of each other, but yeah no real hard hitting moves with that set. Dropping Vacuum Wave for Close Combat or something I feel is kinda a bit too predictable...but would be able to focus on Atk and hit harder. Alternatively I guess I could go for a Sp Attacker and go with Vacuum Wave, Flash Cannon and Dark Pulse or something.

Two priority moves seems kind of redundant, especially when they both only have 40 BP. Lucario has the perfect stats to be a mixed attacker, but what's the point? What can Lucario do physically that he can't do specially, and vice-versa? People don't make mixed attackers because they can, it's usually out of necessity for coverage or to hit a Pokemon that can take you down first and hard. Instead of spreading yourself out thin, invest in either special or physical offense, boost your Lucario up with attack or special attack EVs and an appropriate nature, and start slaying.

That's what I would do anyway.

Panzon

Would some of you guys mind adding me for fiend safari? I just completed X and wanna complete the entire pokedex and also wanna breed many pokemon for battling. Feel free to delete me right away but for those who still want shinies, I can tell you your value with Instacheck.

FC 1907 9228 9203

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I cut my hair to be super cute and none of these "friends" noticed. Obviously all little shits only out for their own. I only exist as competition to them.

Also "There's a blackout" he says. Yeah? Then why are all the lights on behind you?!

Finished super training with one of my pokemon and it is awesome. I didn't expect to get the stones for Raichu and Delcatty in that way. So early in the game!

I also got a Farfetch'd and he's fuckin badass! I know eventually I'm going to be sad that I have to choose between many awesome Pokemon (I already checked and there are 24 that I really like)

Two priority moves seems kind of redundant, especially when they both only have 40 BP. Lucario has the perfect stats to be a mixed attacker, but what's the point? What can Lucario do physically that he can't do specially, and vice-versa? People don't make mixed attackers because they can, it's usually out of necessity for coverage or to hit a Pokemon that can take you down first and hard. Instead of spreading yourself out thin, invest in either special or physical offense, boost your Lucario up with attack or special attack EVs and an appropriate nature, and start slaying.

That's what I would do anyway.

Well, the point is coverage like you had mentioned. Bullet Punch alone hits rock and fairy type, Vacuum Wave gets normal, rock, steel, dark and ice too. I should mention that the idea for two priority moves originated to be fast and strong regardless if the other team trick rooms, but I'm realizing that a lot of trick room setters are psychic type. Also I wouldn't put EVs into speed if I went mixed, with 3 of the 4 moves I had in mind not relying on speed.

As for specific threats, I'm not really sure for Lucario, I know Blaze Kick helps out with like Ferrothorn and Scizor, so that seems like one of Lucario's best options.

I kinda stopped playing Pokemon from 08-13 so I'm not really all that familiar with the recent metagame, especially for doubles, so I appreciate the critique!

DaBoss

I just realized, why don't you use Black Sludge instead of Leftovers for Amoonguss, Wichu? It does the same thing and allows you to have leftovers for another Pokemon.

Speaking of Bank, CoroCoro has revealed that Brigette, the host of Pokémon Box Ruby & Sapphire, will be making a return for Pokémon Bank. I can hear the cries of "Hoenn Confirmed!" already....

JoeM86

Speaking of Bank, CoroCoro has revealed that Brigette, the host of Pokémon Box Ruby & Sapphire, will be making a return for Pokémon Bank. I can hear the cries of "Hoenn Confirmed!" already....

People take any reference to mean it's a remake hint. You should just ignore it.

Hell, people were using that backpacker who is from a new region as evidence of RS remakes being hinted. In addition to that, whenever a Pokémon appears on a bit of merchandise, people over-react.

People take any reference to mean it's a remake hint. You should just ignore it.

Hell, people were using that backpacker who is from a new region as evidence of RS remakes being hinted. In addition to that, whenever a Pokémon appears on a bit of merchandise, people over-react.

JoeM86

"Sapphire" has 8 letters in it
There were 6 Mainline games before R/S

Remakes fucking confirmed

Dice

I was lied to... this game is doing that same bullshit from Pearl where they make you replace moves you like with shitty TM moves just to get around... FUCK!!

Dice

I've already seen like 5 different places to use Cut, so I hope by "rare" you mean "completely optional" because that is just the first one. If I have a happy balance of moves in my team, which I always do, this means I have to go get some dummy pokemon to trade out at the pokemon center whenever I want to head out and do that, then trade back when my business is done. How many times will this happen? At very least as many times as there are things that require these stupid fucking TM moves. How many of them are there? 8 or so? Do any happen along battle routes that I'm going to have to have some shit pokemon instead of the team member I want? GET A FUCKING CLUE, GAME FREAK, THESE SHOULD NOT BE IN-BATTLE MOVES. I am literally only half as excited to finish this game now. I never finished Pearl and didn't play the games between because of this bullshit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've already seen like 5 different places to use Cut, so I hope by "rare" you mean "completely optional" because that is just the first one. If I have a happy balance of moves in my team, which I always do, this means I have to go get some dummy pokemon to trade out at the pokemon center whenever I want to head out and do that, then trade back when my business is done. How many times will this happen? At very least as many times as there are things that require these stupid fucking TM moves. How many of them are there? 8 or so? Do any happen along battle routes that I'm going to have to have some shit pokemon instead of the team member I want? GET A FUCKING CLUE, GAME FREAK, THESE SHOULD NOT BE IN-BATTLE MOVES. I am literally only half as excited to finish this game now. I never finished Pearl and didn't play the games between because of this bullshit.

Most of the stuff that requires a TM or HM, outside of surf, is completely optional. I can't remember any point off the top of my head where using a move like that was mandatory to progress, they're mostly used to hide berry trees and TMs.

Well, the point is coverage like you had mentioned. Bullet Punch alone hits rock and fairy type, Vacuum Wave gets normal, rock, steel, dark and ice too. I should mention that the idea for two priority moves originated to be fast and strong regardless if the other team trick rooms, but I'm realizing that a lot of trick room setters are psychic type. Also I wouldn't put EVs into speed if I went mixed, with 3 of the 4 moves I had in mind not relying on speed.

As for specific threats, I'm not really sure for Lucario, I know Blaze Kick helps out with like Ferrothorn and Scizor, so that seems like one of Lucario's best options.

I kinda stopped playing Pokemon from 08-13 so I'm not really all that familiar with the recent metagame, especially for doubles, so I appreciate the critique!

type coverage alone means nothing if you hit with the force of wet paper tissue
even if you run a "mixed" set, it should probably be something like Close Combat/Flash Cannon/Dark Pulse/Protect or something, where the CC isn't really invested in and is just a backup (note: that moveset isn't actually good, just as an example)

however, I'd just pick either physical or special only and run with it, special is inferior in a vacuum (haha get it) but Intimidate exists and the current meta seems to be physically oriented

So going through my boxes, I notice a few of the Mawile I received in wonder trade have the elemental fangs. If this purely for passing onto erm...Tyrunt (I can't think who else uses the fangs) or do people make use of them on Mawile?

I'm screaming Pay Day Skitty confirmed here.
Not really, I'd hate for that be there and someone fills Pokebank and does not get surf Pichu

daripad

I should! What do you have?
Thanks a lot, it happens that I already had it but my story Aegislash was holding it (I don't even remember getting the leftovers lol).

Now I can say that my first competitive team is done! Yeah!
And I just got Mewtwo OMG

Holmes

What's Flygon's deal? Seems to have lost all its moves that made him worth using (Outrage, Fire/Thunder Punch, Superpower) in the move from Gen V to VI. What's his appeal now?

spiritfox

What's Flygon's deal? Seems to have lost all its moves that made him worth using (Outrage, Fire/Thunder Punch, Superpower) in the move from Gen V to VI. What's his appeal now?

zlCfzRO7zFMmv1CTIL

BTW he still has Superpower. He gets it from Trapinch.

dat nerd rage @ HMs

Just make some Key Items available in the postgame that replace them. Hedge Trimmers, Surfboard, Oxygen Tank (for Dive or maybe even climbing to extreme elevations on mountains), etc.

Fly would be weird as a Key Item but could easily be alleviated with a big, streamlined monorail or subway system that became available in towns you've visited.

Holy crap, I just realized that Cottonee, the cotton Pokémon, is exclusive to Black, while Lilligant (who's based off of Southern Belles) is exclusive to White.

gaemfrak pls. This is almost as bad as the Sieg Heil Registeel screwup.

I'm not sure what's so bad about carrying an HM slave with you when you have to use an HM. As others have stated, most of the HM use in this game is for optional stuff.

My HM Slave Diggersby whom I also use for Horde EV training to this day ended up being Level 100. :lol

Holy crap, I just realized that Cottonee, the cotton Pokémon, is exclusive to Black, while Lilligant (who's based off of Southern Belles) is exclusive to White.

the what-
*checks Bulbapedia*
oh wow unfortunate arm placement

type coverage alone means nothing if you hit with the force of wet paper tissue
even if you run a "mixed" set, it should probably be something like Close Combat/Flash Cannon/Dark Pulse/Protect or something, where the CC isn't really invested in and is just a backup (note: that moveset isn't actually good, just as an example)

however, I'd just pick either physical or special only and run with it, special is inferior in a vacuum (haha get it) but Intimidate exists and the current meta seems to be physically oriented

I think you're right, I just got distracted by M Lucario's high base atk & sp atk, and his adaptability, but even with those he wouldn't hit hard with my initially proposed build. Definitely agree about the meta seemingly skewed toward physical attackers, which is why special attacks are kinda attractive on M Lucario, though Close Combat with x2 STAB probably wrecks plenty of shit.

As for the last two spots on my team I'm kinda liking Cloyster and multiscale Dragonite with dragon dance at the moment, thought Cloyster's typing would fill my team with 3 water types so I dunno about that.

lupinko

Since it's pretty much confirmed that I am moving to Japan now, does anyone know if I can use my North American Pokemon X to get Japanese Pokemon XY event Pokes?

Though on the other hand I'm going to miss out on non-wifi North American retailer pokes. =/

Well also remember that BW/B2W2 take place in UNOVA, aka Pokemon's rendition of the United States of America.

Anyone know if there are and which ones are the terribly offensive/insensitive Francais Pokemon for Kalos/XY?

Since it's pretty much confirmed that I am moving to Japan now, does anyone know if I can use my North American Pokemon X to get Japanese Pokemon XY event Pokes?

Though on the other hand I'm going to miss out on non-wifi North American retailer pokes. =/
Wi-Fi ones might be locked, but local distros aren't locked I believe.

Top Bottom