• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Holmes

I'll be generous with PokeGAF when I get my hands on Iron Fist Chimchar. I'll also be on the lookout for Overcoat Shelmet and No Guard Karrablast, so if anyone happens to get their hands on one, I'd love to trade.

edit: Is there a way to verify if a Chimchar that's being traded to me is legitimate or not? I mean, Iron Fist is legal on Infernape because it's released, and I'll be breeding my own anyway, but using a hacked parent would be kind of cheap.

Any chances of them having Dragon Dance as egg move? If so, I would like to ask for a female with swift swim as well.
It's not possible to breed egg moves on Magikarp, but Gyarados does learn Dragon Dance naturally at level 44.

Stencil

I know this thread has probably just evolved into some mad meta-meta-hyper-ultra competitive breeding stuff, but I just want to say.

I just started this game, and am so blown away. I love it. Mainly the inclusion of so many of the original 151. I'm amazed about that.

There are also a lot of mechanics I don't understand, a lot of which I don't know if I care to. BUT:
- Super Training. Does it matter?
- Why is everyone asking for a tip? Does that effect anything?

Firestorm

I know this thread has probably just evolved into some mad meta-meta-hyper-ultra competitive breeding stuff, but I just want to say.

I just started this game, and am so blown away. I love it. Mainly the inclusion of so many of the original 151. I'm amazed about that.

There are also a lot of mechanics I don't understand, a lot of which I don't know if I care to. BUT: Super Training. Does it matter?
Not 'til you get mad meta-meta-hyper-ultra competitive (though even then not really as there are more efficient methods). I didn't really touch Super Training until I wanted a specific stone to evolve one of my Pokemon that you can sometimes get in Super Training.

Then I found out it was also in a cave and that I was literally just outside the entrance to said cave.

Holmes

Unfortunately, Pangoro can't make much use of Iron Fist and learn Ice Punch (at the moment?), or Dragon Dance. :/ I would use Scrafty personally, Pangoro just seems like such wasted potential.

NEO0MJ

Unfortunately, Pangoro can't make much use of Iron Fist and learn Ice Punch (at the moment?), or Dragon Dance. :/ I would use Scrafty personally, Pangoro just seems like such wasted potential.

A real shame, it's one of the best new pokemon, at least design wise.

Well after my temporary betrayal to play Link Between Worlds, I'm back! Have I missed anything big? What awesome Pokémon have cycled through the PokéGAF hivemind?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well after my temporary betrayal to play Link Between Worlds, I'm back! Have I missed anything big? What awesome Pokémon have cycled through the PokéGAF hivemind?

There's a patch that fixed the battle hack thing, so download that.

I was going to do a tournament but people were awful about completing matches in the multibattle one :/ Do you guys think it would be better with one person per side?

A singles 6v6 would be fun. Getting a partner and the fact that it was very close to release made it hard to get a team ready for the last one. Maybe just limit it to anything available in this gen (safari included), nothing from the bank.

Though my team would love an Empoleon.

Today was my first attempt at super training. I used about 10 Kelpsy berries on my Kadabra in hopes that I could raise its SpAtk, SpD and Def. When I checked, Kadabra's max HP dropped by 17!?! Also, did I read that correctly when it said using one training bag will remove the effects of the previous bag? A Large HP bag only increased his HP by 2 (at level 86). Am I stuck wailing on Lickitung (HP), Haunter (SpAtk) and Graveler/Geodude (Def)?

Or would vitamins be a better idea?

Firestorm

A singles 6v6 would be fun. Getting a partner and the fact that it was very close to release made it hard to get a team ready for the last one. Maybe just limit it to anything available in this gen (safari included), nothing from the bank.

Though my team would love an Empoleon.
I'll make a thread later this week but rules would be:

• All matches are played in Doubles format
  • Flat Battle
  • Players choose 4 of their 6 registered Pokemon after team preview
  • Pokémon must meet all three of the following conditions to be eligible for use:
    • Pokémon must be found in the Coastal Kalos, Central Kalos, or Mountain Kalos Pokédex (Full list can be found here)
    • Pokémon must have been obtained in Pokémon X or Y (identifiable by a blue pentagon on the stats screen)
    • Mewtwo, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde are banned
  • Species Clause: No two Pokémon can share the same Pokédex number.
  • Item Clause: No two Pokémon can hold the same held item.
This way people can use the same team in local tournaments and during the Global Link tournaments.

macklelol

Today was my first attempt at super training. I used about 10 Kelpsy berries on my Kadabra in hopes that I could raise its SpAtk, SpD and Def. When I checked, Kadabra's max HP dropped by 17!?! Also, did I read that correctly when it said using one training bag will remove the effects of the previous bag? A Large HP bag only increased his HP by 2 (at level 86). Am I stuck wailing on Lickitung (HP), Haunter (SpAtk) and Graveler/Geodude (Def)?

Or would vitamins be a better idea?

Maybe you used some HP reducing berries as well? Not sure what would have cause that.

The stat gains from core training bags stack, it doesn't undo the previous bag. You might be thinking of a particular training bag called the Reset Bag, which completely resets a Pokemon's EVs. You can just keep using Super Training minigames/core training bags and get EVs that way, so if you don't want to battle for EVs, you don't have to.

Vitamins is a nice way to quickly get a boost in EV training, but it can cost a lot to do, and only gets you 100 EVs in a stat.

Maybe you used some HP reducing berries as well? Not sure what would have cause that.

The stat gains from core training bags stack, it doesn't undo the previous bag. You might be thinking of a particular training bag called the Reset Bag, which completely resets a Pokemon's EVs. You can just keep using Super Training minigames/core training bags and get EVs that way, so if you don't want to battle for EVs, you don't have to.

Vitamins is a nice way to quickly get a boost in EV training, but it can cost a lot to do, and only gets you 100 EVs in a stat.
Thank you! I didn't touch any Pomeg berries, so maybe it was all in my head. Could've swore his HP dropped from 221 to 206. I haven't encountered any Reset bags but it's good to know changes stack. And that makes sense now when I tried a vitamin and it wouldn't have any effect. Guess it's back to SST and battling. Again, thank you!

PBalfredo

I offered to breed a pokemon for one of my friends who is making his way through the story, and he requested a stone cold killer Bidoof. So I breed Pusséwrecker, the most hardcore Bidoof in all of Kalos. But that left me with a PC box full of 5-4 IV Bidoofs and these OGs need a home, so...

d5rONwc.gif

I could be trading all of these phat Bidoofs for Mewtwos and lvl 99 Mudkips, if GTS postings are any indication, but instead I'm giving them away to you. Yes, you! I have 22 Bidoofs, 7 of which are 5 IV, the rest are 4 IV. All have Skull Bash for messing fools up. First come, first served and these mofos are HOT HOT HOT! Post if you want one and be sure to post your FC!

My FC: 0001-3764-1620

NEO0MJ

I could be trading all of these phat Bidoofs for Mewtwos and lvl 99 Mudkips, if GTS postings are any indication, but instead I'm giving them away to you. Yes, you! I have 22 Bidoofs, 7 of which are 5 IV, the rest are 4 IV. All have Skull Bash for messing fools up. First come, first served and these mofos are HOT HOT HOT! Post if you want one and be sure to post your FC!

I'll take a male 5 IV one! What's your trainer name?

Azure J

So we're talking about Pokebank wishes in here? I hope someone's been raising a lot of bug family Pokemon with Defog so I can get myself hooked up with a Shiny Defog Scizor with the swiftness.

NEO0MJ

It's also PBalfredo

All right, I'm ready to trade if you are. I can offer 4 IV Intimidate Growlithe with Close Combat and Morning Sun, Run Away Venonat with Giga Drain and baton Pass, Skrelp with Toxic Spikes and Haze, Infiltrator Noibat , Sturdy Bergmite and Swift Swim/Ratlled Magikarp.

PBalfredo

All right, I'm ready to trade if you are. I can offer 4 IV Intimidate Growlithe with Close Combat and Morning Sun, Run Away Venonat with Giga Drain and baton Pass, Skrelp with Toxic Spikes and Haze, Infiltrator Noibat , Sturdy Bergmite and Swift Swim/Ratlled Magikarp.

I think I saw you online for minute but I just missed the trade prompt and then you were offline. I'll still be online for the next twenty minutes or so, but if we miss again I'll be online tomorrow.

Just so we're clear, it's a giveaway so you're not under any obligation to give anything valuable in trade, though if you do it's appreciated. Since you're offering, I'll take the Growlithe, please.

Edit: This has me thinking, the feature I most want to see in a new pokemon game would be GTS style asynchronous trading between friends. Just deposit a pokemon and set it that I except friend X to trade with pokemon Y, then fire and forget. Friend X fulfills the transaction and I pick up the traded pokemon after it's all done. Would make online trading much easier, especially over different time zones.

NEO0MJ

Thanks for the Bidoof, Alfredo! Now it can be the most amazing cuddle-buddy at the daycare.

Just so we're clear, it's a giveaway so you're not under any obligation to give anything valuable in trade, though if you do it's appreciated. Since you're offering, I'll take the Growlithe, please.

I know, but if a person has any leftover pokemon from breeding it would be good to offer them to the person doing the giveaway.

So having never played a Pokémon game since the first one on Gameboy, I wasn't sure what to expect but I think fans of the series are looking through rose coloured glasses a little if they are giving it 9's or 10s out of 10.

While I'm enjoying it, the fact there is no minimap is absurd. There is the map that your Mum gives you but all it is is a few dots to show you basically where you are in the world.

I made my way to the big city, maybe 2-2.5 hours in and got lost. I had no way of telling which shops I have been into, or where the next objective was. I had to wander around until the dancing kid hit me up with a holo-message.

Also the movement is a bit indirect. When trying to get into the narrow hedge maze I had to keep adjusting to try and fit in which sucked because i was standing in bushes which prompted about 3 fights before I got in.

You see, folks, this is a prime example of how modern game design has ruined people. "You mean it doesn't hold my hand every step of the way? THIS IS A BAD GAME."

How the hell do you get lost in Pokemon?

NEO0MJ

What sets are you guys using with your Volcarona? I was surprised by how limited its offensive movepool is. Giga Drain is a tutor move and I don't know if I'm willing to get a hidden power for it, considering how weak they are now.

What sets are you guys using with your Volcarona? I was surprised by how limited its offensive movepool is. Giga Drain is a tutor move and I don't know if I'm willing to get a hidden power for it, considering how weak they are now.

I've been using Life Orb Giga Drain Volcarona on showdown. It's a little specialized and needs some support to get a dance in, but when it does it's bound to do some damage.

It's also amazingly satisfying one-shotting the few things weak to Giga Drain and immediately restoring all of the health your opponent just took away. Giga Drain can also work as a last-minute way to prevent a Life Orb suicide.

Wichu

It's worth getting HP Ground or Rock (maybe even Water), since it's your best bet against opposing Fire-types. Ground will be more useful in a couple of weeks when Heatran is available; Heatran is immune to Fire, 4x resists Bug and Grass, and resists Psychic and Flying, but Ground hits it for 4x damage. In terms of base power (after STAB): Fiery Dance/Flamethrower/Fire Blast: 0, Bug Buzz: 67.5, Psychic: 45, Hurricane: 55, Giga Drain: 37.5, HP Ground: 240. Quite a difference ;)
Charizard and Talonflame also resist Fire and 4x resist Bug, while HP Rock hits them hard.

On a pure offensive set, I think I'd run Fiery Dance/Bug Buzz/Psychic/HP Ground. Psychic is there pretty much for the little bit of extra damage on Poison/Fighting; replace it with Quiver Dance and Fiery Dance with Fire Blast/Flamethrower if you want to set up instead. Maybe HP Rock depending on how popular Charizard is compared to Heatran (you're not staying in on Talonflame, but you might be able to nail it on the switch).

Usobuko

Banned

Bulky Sweep!

Ability: Flame Body

Roost, Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz, Flame Thrower or Fire Blast.

NEO0MJ

I've been using Life Orb Giga Drain Volcarona on showdown. It's a little specialized and needs some support to get a dance in, but when it does it's bound to do some damage.

Like I said GD is a tutor move which is not an option for.

It's worth getting HP Ground or Rock (maybe even Water),

I was considering ground or ice but then I'd have to play an annoying breeding game. But if anyone can lend me a Volcarona/larvesta with one of the above I'd really appreciate it.

Bulky Sweep!

Ability: Flame Body

Roost, Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz, Flame Thrower or Fire Blast.

What nature/EVs are you using? I was considering a bulky set but when I took a look at smogon it was too confusing for me to understand, the whole set looked like it was designed to counter specific pokemon.

Usobuko

Banned
What nature/EVs are you using? I was considering a bulky set but when I took a look at smogon it was too confusing for me to understand, the whole set looked like it was designed to counter specific pokemon.

Can't help you on that, sorry. I'm the cookie cutter Life Orb set without Giga Drain / HP. Mainly because I can't and don't want to remember who does what and how much for Pokemon. I am also too lazy to breed HP/Egg move. If I can't have specific moves, I will just make do with substitute. Unless they are essential. I like unconventional bulky sweep set because element of surprise is quite hilarious and needed in this game.

That said, I would recommend move that ohko on common switch in. HP Ground / Rock and Giga Drain are all generally useful. The same reason why I would recommend HP Ground / Rock for Mega Venusaur.

Tiamant

I offered to breed a pokemon for one of my friends who is making his way through the story, and he requested a stone cold killer Bidoof. So I breed Pusséwrecker, the most hardcore Bidoof in all of Kalos. But that left me with a PC box full of 5-4 IV Bidoofs and these OGs need a home, so...

I'll take one of those 5 IV's Bidoof if you still have one.

SeZMehK

Man trying to get a perfect HA riolu is like pulling teeth, such a pain and chore. I do have a perfect HA riolu but I want my OT so I am breeding for one... :/

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I'm catching this Throh and the shit shakes off a quick ball like nothing, then I manage to get him down to 1hp and paralyzed and he shrugs off an ultra ball! I caught him with a second ultra, tho. This is after the first encounter where I had him at like 2hp and poisoned and he shook off a dusk ball (it was night) and fainted. Now I'm out of ultra balls. I better not run into anything legendary until I'm able to buy them.

Holmes

So I'm catching this Throh and the shit shakes off a quick ball like nothing, then I manage to get him down to 1hp and paralyzed and he shrugs off an ultra ball! I caught him with a second ultra, tho. This is after the first encounter where I had him at like 2hp and poisoned and he shook off a dusk ball (it was night) and fainted. Now I'm out of ultra balls. I better not run into anything legendary until I'm able to buy them.
That's probability for you. If something is not 100% certain, there's always a chance that you won't get what you want no matter how stacked the odds are in your favour. You can always blame the RNG gods.

Now catching a sleeping Zapdos at 1 HP w/ Capture O-Power in a Luxury Ball... that was crappy.

Now catching a sleeping Zapdos at 1 HP w/ Capture O-Power in a Luxury Ball... that was crappy.
Yeeeeah... I'm just Master Balling mine when I go for it. I'll be SRing for a good HP Ice one so I need to be able to catch it quickly and consistently. I'm not man enough to go for a regular ball D:

ohkay

Man trying to get a perfect HA riolu is like pulling teeth, such a pain and chore. I do have a perfect HA riolu but I want my OT so I am breeding for one... :/
I feel your pain. The 1/8th chance of getting a female, the chance of not getting the HA and then having to raise friendship to evolve to Lucario to get better parents...I feel the need to punch the wall just writing this out

Top Bottom