• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

TWILT

Banned
I found another shiny Pokemon in the safari today (that makes 3 so far)

2013%2B-%2B1

I also managed to breed a HP Ice Galvantula without hassle.

Today was a win.
So jelly!

Also nice nickname. I named my Jolteon Narukami. :p

Yep, still got 5 IV Bidoofs. Got your friend code entered. What's your in-game name?
In-game name is Ai. (For now...)

I guess if I catch you online, I'll just ping you for a trade. :)

EDIT: Thanks a lot, PBalfredo! I'm sorry I didn't have anything to trade other than a measley Zigzagoon. :(

(Peanut butter and Alfredo? I should try that combo sometime... XD)

With it would be awesome! I haven't played in a while, but the thought of raising a Scrafty sounded very tempting...

Of course it sounds tempting! You'd be raising something capable of one-shotting Poké-God itself!

Could you hop on right now so we can trade before I turn in for the night?

Moppet13

I've read the guides on breeding pokemon and stuff, but I don't think I quite get it. When I give a pokemon an everstone to keep the nature, it doesn't seem to work, I even tried 3 eggs. I also don't quite get how the IVs work? Would someone mind explaining it to me? Feeling pretty dumb right now since there are like 3 how to guides in the OP and I still can't get it too well :(

Firestorm

I've read the guides on breeding pokemon and stuff, but I don't think I quite get it. When I give a pokemon an everstone to keep the nature, it doesn't seem to work, I even tried 3 eggs. I also don't quite get how the IVs work? Would someone mind explaining it to me? Feeling pretty dumb right now since there are like 3 how to guides in the OP and I still can't get it too well :(
IVs are a randomly generated number between 0 and 31 in each stat a Pokemon has.

When breeding, the offspring will inherit a total of 3 IVs from its parents. If you attach a destiny knot to one of the parents as a hold item, the offspring will inherit 5 IVs from its parents.

When breeding for a great Pokemon, you basically just keep replacing the parents with babies that have better stats until you're breeding with super parents.

When you give a Pokemon an Everstone, it will make it so the Everstone Pokemon's nature is passed down.

IVs (Individual Values) are a randomly-generated value in each stat that range from 0 to 31 (0 being lowest and 31 being highest). For example, a level 100 Pikachu with 31 Speed IVs will have 31 more Speed than an identical level 100 Pikachu with 0 Speed IVs.

When breeding, the game selects 3 IVs from both parents to give to the child then randomly generates the rest. By giving any of the two parents a Destiny Knot, the game raises this to 5 IVs and the game only randomly generates one IV.

As an example for breeding (IVs are denoted in the order of HP / Atk / Def / SpAtk / SpDef /Speed):

Pikachu (M) @ Everstone
Timid
31/31/31/31/31/31

Pikachu (F) @ Destiny Knot
Rash
15/27/31/10/10/19

Since the male Pikachu is holding the Everstone, his nature will be passed down. And since one of the parents is holding a Destiny Knot, five of both parents IVs are given to the child.

Pichu (M)
Timid
31/27/15/10/10/31

After checking the child's IVs, we see that the game has chosen to pass down HP and Speed from the father and Attack, Special Attack, and Special Defense from the mother. Checking IVs can be done through the IV Judge in the Kiloude City Pokemon Center (after Elite Four) or through an online IV calculator such as the one by MetalKid here.

Keep in mind that the Destiny Knot randomly selects from IVs from both parents so there may be times where one parent contributes all 5 IVs by themselves!

onslack

I've not seen a shiny yet either!

I did hatch a flawless charmander last night while searching for one with its HA! first time breeding and I'm kinda hooked

Bleeether

The everstone will always pass the nature down. you have to attach it to the parent that is going to the daycare. the hatched babies will have that nature.

Dittos will make breeding really easy especially if u get luck and find a 4 iv ditto. Also Alakazams with synchronize will make it easy to find the pokemon you need with the nature you need.

NEO0MJ

Dittos will make breeding really easy especially if u get luck and find a 4 iv ditto. Also Alakazams with synchronize will make it easy to find the pokemon you need with the nature you need.

Considering how difficult it is to find 4IV Dittos I say building a good collection of 4/5 IV male pokemon from each egg group is better. Also, don't forget that Ralts and Abra both have this ability, not just Alakazam. I had a female synchronize ralts hatch me a bunch of eggs and as a result got one for most major natures. After that all that's left is getting a male pokemon with Cute Charm so it can make finding female pokemon easier.

Bleeether

Considering how difficult it is to find 4IV Dittos I say building a good collection of 4/5 IV male pokemon from each egg group is better. Also, don't forget that Ralts and Abra both have this ability, not just Alakazam. I had a female synchronize ralts hatch me a bunch of eggs and as a result got one for most major natures. After that all that's left is getting a male pokemon with Cute Charm so it can make finding female pokemon easier.

Thats right, i forgot that those had Sync as well. Idk the odds about catching a 4IV ditto, but it took me 3 boxes before i found one. Given how super fast and easy breeding becomes with one i would definitely say its worth investing a few hours trying to get one. Dat feel when you find it ! Worth the hunt.

NEO0MJ

Thats right, i forgot that those had Sync as well. Idk the odds about catching a 4IV ditto, but it took me 3 boxes before i found one. Given how super fast and easy breeding becomes with one i would definitely say its worth investing a few hours trying to get one. Dat feel when you find it ! Worth the hunt.

I stopped hunting them after a while, it was taking too much time. I got enough 4I/5V pokemon either from my own breeding or giveaways to not care about Dittos anymore.

Bleeether

Ahh i see, i've only been playing for a little over a week so i dont have that sort of collection yet. Nice though.

I just bred a Modest 6IV Lotad with swift swim, and i also got the 5IV i was aiming for in the same batch.

Anyone wanna trade something for a 31/x/31/31/31/31 Modest Lotad with swift swim ?

upandaway

Okay, I just had firsthand experience with how important team preview is. Battling a random Japanese passerby, I looked at his/her team and saw that besides Talonflame and Lapras, they has nothing to prevent my Charizard from going crazy. I went in completely reckless and wasted 4 of my Pokemon, leaving only Charizard and Meowstic, just to take out Talonflame and Lapras. Then I sacked Meowstic for some screens and twaves and Charizard as my last Pokemon ran through the entire team. It felt so good that I traded them my spare perfect HA Murkrow, haha.

So glad for my Charizard's EV spread (100 speed/152 HP), because it was fast enough for everyone and by the end I was in the red. I wouldn't have won the match with a 50-50 spread.

Holmes

Okay, I just had firsthand experience with how important team preview is. Battling a random Japanese passerby, I looked at his/her team and saw that besides Talonflame and Lapras, they has nothing to prevent my Charizard from going crazy. I went in completely reckless and wasted 4 of my Pokemon, leaving only Charizard and Meowstic, just to take out Talonflame and Lapras. Then I sacked Meowstic for some screens and twaves and Charizard as my last Pokemon ran through the entire team. It felt so good that I traded them my spare perfect HA Murkrow, haha.

So glad for my Charizard's EV spread (100 speed/152 HP), because it was fast enough for everyone and by the end I was in the red. I wouldn't have won the match with a 50-50 spread.

Yes! HP EVs (and defense and special defense) are so important but often ignored. :( For some Pokemon, a 252/252 spread makes sense, but if you're gonna use a set up move anyway for Dragon Dance or Quiver Dance that increases your speed anyway, might as well throw some EVs in HP to actually survive the set up in the first place.

TeaFan

Ok, i just got this game, ive never played a Pokemon game before and am wondering if there are any starter guides or anything

onslack

Ok, i just got this game, ive never played a Pokemon game before and am wondering if there are any starter guides or anything

1st page of this thread has alot of useful info, so worth a read.

Guy/Girls I need some clarification on something - when breeding for a HA does one of the parents already need to have it?

or would it have a chance of being passed to a baby if being bred with a ditto?

SeZMehK

1st page of this thread has alot of useful info, so worth a read.

Guy/Girls I need some clarification on something - when breeding for a HA does one of the parents already need to have it?

or would it have a chance of being passed to a baby if being bred with a ditto?

If breeding a male and a female of the species, the female MUST have the HA. If breeding a male with a ditto, the male must have the HA.

onslack

If breeding a male and a female of the species, the female MUST have the HA. If breeding a male with a ditto, the male must have the HA.

Cheers for clearing that up! I'll stop breeding like a crazy person lol

Anyone got a spare charmader with its HA they'd be willing to trade ?

I have a few 5IV charmander's to give in return but that's it

spiritfox

It's a pretty simple RPG if you don't go too deep into mechanics. One thing handy to keep around is a type chart to prevent situations where you are not dealing any damage due to type advantages. Just catch and train what ever catches your eye, and that will carry you through the game.

It's the post-game that gets all crazy.

The amount of time you have to spend sniping GTS to see those offers though...I've seen some similarly easy offers and not had the Pokemon in question to snap it up.

I love wonder trade, it's given me a lot of decent IV pokemon that I could use as a base for breeding
Like with anything using it a lot means is you see a lot of popular Pokemon. I get way too many 1-2 IV Noibat, Sliggo, Froakie, Charmander, Honedge, Gible and Eevee (though my trades are up to 1000 so I've seen better...this is a tad extreme I'll admit, plus early on these were really helpful).

couldn't find a thread, but can someone answer this please.

the best way to find out if any of my pokemon ds games are fake is if they cannot;

1. connect online
2. cannot be played on my 3dsxl

is this correct ?
Not sure about 1 but 2 applies to the majority of bootlegs.

I wanted to make a female Magic Bounce Espeon with 5 perfect IVs at least and spent the whole day yesterday trying to get one. At the end of the day, I ended up getting a 31/x/31/31/31/31 female Eevee, but the ability ended up being Run Away. I was so crushed.

I do have a male with the IVs that I need, but I've come this far, I might as well see this to the end.

In this search, I managed to make an HP Ice Eevee but the spread is something like 31/0/6/31/31/31. I'd love to make it a Jolteon but that DEF kills the perfectionist in me. I'd settle for something over 20.

joelseph

Harvest Trevenant w/ Sitrius berry is broken! I had no idea the ability was this awesome. Exceeding my wildest expectations and then some. Not uncommon to eat two berries in a single turn.

Harvest Trevenant w/ Sitrius Berry
Will-0-Wisp
Leach Seed
Shadow Claw
Wood Hammer/Leach Horn

Speaking of Trevenant, I want to try out the Natural Cure SubSeed set for it:

Substitute
Leech Seed
Will-O-Wisp
Phantom Force?

Would pretty much Substitute as soon as I can or Will-o-Wisp ninjas that I feel could break the Sub easy. Otherwise, it's all about leeching seeds and eatin berries all day

Wichu

Harvest Trevenant w/ Sitrius berry is broken! I had no idea the ability was this awesome. Exceeding my wildest expectations and then some. Not uncommon to eat two berries in a single turn.

Will-0-Wisp
Confuse Ray
Shadow Claw
Wood Hammer/Leach Horn

Now I need to try it out. Sounds like fun
pain

joelseph

Speaking of Trevenant, I want to try out the Natural Cure SubSeed set for it:

Substitute
Leech Seed
Will-O-Wisp
Phantom Force?

Would pretty much Substitute as soon as I can or Will-o-Wisp ninjas that I feel could break the Sub easy. Otherwise, it's all about leeching seeds and eatin berries all day

Yeah I mistyped, mine has leech instead of confuse ray. It's bonkers. Was running sub for a while but it's not needed imo

Tiamant

Will-0-Wisp
Confuse Ray
Shadow Claw
Wood Hammer/Leach Horn

Thanks to Skullhydra's Trevenant I discovered the huge buff given to Knock-Off.

joelseph

Thanks to Skullhydra's Trevenant I discovered the huge buff given to Knock-Off.

Do tell! Should I be running it over Shadow Claw?

I have a 6IV female Phantump I would willing to loan out for Trevenant breeding. The only issue is it's frisk and not Harvest.

Tiamant

Do tell! Should I be running it over Shadow Claw?

I have a 6IV female Phantump I would willing to loan out for Trevenant breeding. The only issue is it's frisk and not Harvest.

Well I meant as a counter to Trevenant, I used it on a Kabutops. I suppose Trevenant would prefer some STAB.

Top Bottom