• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

You'll be thankful for Power Gem when no Talonflame or Volcarona on Earth is able to stop you.
But wouldn't Explosion put quite a dent in them? Plus, it would injure any Pokémon who uses Carbink to set up. Wouldn't that be worth it?

I know you've used both though. Is Power Gem worth using just to mess up Talonflame?

Neiteio

But wouldn't Explosion put quite a dent in them? Plus, it would injure any Pokémon who uses Carbink to set up. Wouldn't that be worth it?

I know you've used both though. Is Power Gem worth it just to mess up Talonflame?
I haven't used Explosion, and I've only done one 6v6 battle (against Busaiku tonight). But I play a lot of 3v3, and I've beaten every Talonflame I've encountered using Carbink.

Here's how just about every Talonflame encounter goes:

OPPONENT SWITCHES IN TALONFLAME.

NEITEIO SWITCHES IN CARBINK.

TALONFLAME USES BRAVE BIRD... IT DOES FUCKING NOTHING.

OPPONENT WITHDRAWS TALONFLAME.

CARBINK USES STEALTH ROCK.

...... (fast-forward a few turns) ......

OPPONENT SENDS OUT TALONFLAME.

STEALTH ROCK TAKES OFF 50% MAX HP

TALONFLAME USES BRAVE BIRD... IT AIN'T DOING SHIT, CAPTAIN

CARBINK USES POWER GEM

TALONFLAME FAINTED! #swag #yolo #insufferable

So I was looking on pokemon gl and in my medals it says "A Medal for locals of Lumiose City who have become extremely stylish." and Le Wow has also now gone down to $90k. But the guy still asks $50k for the mega stones. I have to be close right?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hey, Mr "I'm gonna paraflinch you to deaeth because I'm togekiss", how about I trick room you so you can't even get a paraflinch off?

Neiteio

SkullHydra, to answer your question in a... less over-the-top way, yeah, Power Gem is a keeper, it allows Carbink to fight back with surprising competence against a surprising number of Flying-types, and flat-out walls anything 4X weakness to it after they take the inevitable Stealth Rock damage. Also, I switch out Carbink a lot. I originally planned him a straight-up suicide lead but I find preserving him often pays dividends.

PK Gaming

I haven't used Explosion, and I've only done one 6v6 battle (against Busaiku tonight). But I play a lot of 3v3, and I've beaten every Talonflame I've encountered using Carbink.

Here's how just about every Talonflame encounter goes:

OPPONENT SWITCHES IN TALONFLAME.

NEITEIO SWITCHES IN CARBINK.

TALONFLAME USES BRAVE BIRD... IT DOES FUCKING NOTHING.

OPPONENT WITHDRAWS TALONFLAME.

CARBINK USES STEALTH ROCK.

...... (fast-forward a few turns) ......

OPPONENT SENDS OUT TALONFLAME.

STEALTH ROCK TAKES OFF 50% MAX HP

TALONFLAME USES BRAVE BIRD... IT AIN'T DOING SHIT, CAPTAIN

CARBINK USES POWER GEM

TALONFLAME FAINTED! #swag #yolo #insufferable

Talonflame has Excadrill as a teammate

#Checkmate

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Even though I was breeding 4 IV Roselia, it took me about seven sets to get a 5 IV one...

But now I have my fourth trained Pokemon alongside Drapion, Gastrodon, and Dragonite, a Roserade!

I have a few 3 and 4 IV Modest Roselia (with Leaf Storm) for trade now along with 2-3 IV Jolly Skorupi and 3-4 IV Relaxed Shellos if anyone wants some.

Busaiku

Another mindgame moment: I think you switched to Jumpluff against Blaziken because you thought I'd Earthquake Pikachu instead of Stone Edge?

Protect is essential? Who knows. Stone Edge OHKO'd your Jumpluff. If I hadn't done that, maybe you would've Spored my entire team. Same fate!

I thought you had Protect, and I thought I might have a shot of outspeeding it next turn with Jumpluff.
So go Stone Edge/Hi Jump Kick/Flare Blitz/Protect.

Seriously, Protect is too good for Blaziken.

I asked this on another forum but let me ask you fine folks, how many of you have a gold trainer card. That is you completed the following objectives:

- Defeated the Elite Four
- Completed the Kalos Dex
- Acquired 50 wins in the Battle Maison in either the Super Singles, Doubles, Triples, or Rotation competition.

The National Dex cannot be completed just yet so we don't know what color that will be.

SkullHydra, to answer your question in a... less over-the-top way, yeah, Power Gem is a keeper, it allows Carbink to fight back with surprising competence against a surprising number of Flying-types, and flat-out walls anything 4X weakness to it after they take the inevitable Stealth Rock damage. Also, I switch out Carbink a lot. I originally planned him a straight-up suicide lead but I find preserving him often pays dividends.
Okay, that makes sense. I also just remembered that Explode would be super weak since Carbink has awful physical attack. >_>

Neiteio

I thought you had Protect, and I thought I might have a shot of outspeeding it next turn with Jumpluff.
So go Stone Edge/Hi Jump Kick/Flare Blitz/Protect.

Seriously, Protect is too good for Blaziken.
I'm waiting on Pegosaurus to breed me a 31/X/31/31/31/31 Modest Rotom in exchange for a spare 31/X/31/31/31/31 Timid Interceptor Noibat. Once I get it from him, I plan to run a Chesto-Rest Wash Rotom with Will-O-Wisp, in which case Protect would be doubly useful on Blaziken since he could stall another turn while the burn (hopefully) works its magic.

Sora_N

Sort of tried to breed, but realized I really have no idea what I'm doing.

I sorted all my Dittos from Safari.

I took one with Max SpDef and Speed, then I took my Timid Clawizter (has Max HP) and slapped an Everstone on the Clawitzer. The Clauncher that came out was Timid and has Max SpDef.

I think I read Destiny Knot allows passing of 5 IVs, so was I supposed to slap it onto the Ditto too?

Busaiku

Oh, another thing about Carbink.
You should never waste your time fighting with it if you have other fully capable Pokemon.
Set up and get out of there, don't waste your Reflect/Light Screen time.

It's good for Talonflame, cause Talonflame beats pretty much everything else.
Or other things that are fast and whatnot.

But you should not be keeping it in for something like Flareon or Pikachu.

EMT0

Banned
Sort of tried to breed, but realized I really have no idea what I'm doing.

I sorted all my Dittos from Safari.

I took one with Max SpDef and Speed, then I took my Timid Clawizter (has Max HP) and slapped an Everstone on the Clawitzer. The Clauncher that came out was Timid and has Max SpDef.

I think I read Destiny Knot allows passing of 5 IVs, so was I supposed to slap it onto the Ditto too?

Yep

ramyeon

Battle Spot is shite. It's just not fun not being able to have a full battle 9 out of 10 times. Whenever you lose it's fine of course but as soon as you start winning, expect disconnects 90% of the time.

Just had an amazing sweep set up with Kanga after getting in two sword dances and speed boosts from Spoci before passing to her. It would have been my first time beating a Japanese player, but no, they couldn't play out the whole game and just flicked the switch as soon as I massacred their first pokemon.

EMT0

Banned
Hmm, that'd do more harm to Aegislash than Carbink, judging from past battles.

But yes, I suppose a Rapid Spin Brick Break Excadrill would shuffle priorities!

My answer to things that love to ruin Carbink's day tends to be Gourgeist. Because Ground resistance, bulky defense stat, and STAB Shadow Sneak/Pain Split/Leech Seed/Leftovers ain't nothin to joke about.

2nd FS SHINY!!!

tumblr_mvzajnCSwM1qgz1jao1_1280.jpg

Why my Shiny Fox Witch have to be male?!?! D:

I wasn't even trying to get it! If I were I would have used a cute charmer :/

OH WELL! GOTCHA NOW Kreayshawn!

ramyeon

Tried another battle. Guy has all legendaries so I'm looking forward to kicking his ass.

First pokemon go out, of course he sends out Mewtwo and then... "Communication with the other trainer has been interrupted".

Facepalm.jpg

Atlantis

I wasn't even trying to get it! If I were I would have used a cute charmer :/

...?

From Pokémon Emerald onwards, if a Pokémon with Cute Charm is first in the party, the chance of encountering a Pokémon of the opposite gender is 66.7%, regardless of gender ratios.

Whaaaaaaaaaat? This changes everything.

Neiteio

6SSG-WWWW-WWW2-LMKN

Double Battle from Passerby/Acquaintance
4 Bugs vs 5 Legendaries/1 Starter.
This. Was. AMAZING.

You should find a way to upload this to YouTube, seriously. :O

Oh, another thing about Carbink.
You should never waste your time fighting with it if you have other fully capable Pokemon.

Set up and get out of there, don't waste your Reflect/Light Screen time.

It's good for Talonflame, cause Talonflame beats pretty much everything else.
Or other things that are fast and whatnot.

But you should not be keeping it in for something like Flareon or Pikachu.
My Carbink stopped your Flame Charge Flareon!

I should use Steel wing Talonflame if I ever get around to facing you guys.
I've yet to see a Talonflame carry that, but I've survived STAB Steel attacks (see this past weekend's Meteor Mash vid), I can probably take a Steel Wing from Talonflame.

My answer to things that love to ruin Carbink's day tends to be Gourgeist. Because Ground resistance, bulky defense stat, and STAB Shadow Sneak/Pain Split/Leech Seed/Leftovers ain't nothin to joke about.
Hmm, that might work, although if the threat was Taunt, that'd be just as detrimental to Gourgeist. :-\

Tried another battle. Guy has all legendaries so I'm looking forward to kicking his ass.

First pokemon go out, of course he sends out Mewtwo and then... "Communication with the other trainer has been interrupted".

Facepalm.jpg

Maybe he considered you unworthy

My two replays I mentioned earlier, Neiteio:

Me freezing Goodra in the rain: B9DW-WWWW-WWW2-E3RA
Electrode hitting a raw Thunder to end the match: 4DCG-WWWW-WWW2-F85Q

DaBoss

Quiver Dance
Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
Bug Buzz
Hurricane (if you've got rain or plan on countering rain)/Giga Drain/Hidden Power Ground

I use SolarBeam with Power Herb. It messed up so many people so many times, it is pretty hilarious. What item do you put on a Volcarona? Giga Drain sounds very useful, but I think that is locked to Gen 5.

ramyeon

Fuck battle spot. I know I'm complaining a lot but I just had a CRAZY sweep against a Japanese player that I wanted to show you guys. Like literally after my set up Kanga one hit KO'd everything, didn't even use baby Kanga's turn. Then as soon as their last mon fainted they disconnected. WHY? At least let me get my victory screen and a chance to save my video. Ugh.

Sigmaah

Quiver Dance
Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
Bug Buzz
Hurricane (if you've got rain or plan on countering rain)/Giga Drain/Hidden Power Ground

Got fiery dance
Bug buzz
Quiver dance
And flamethrower, I think I should change flamethrower obviously. I have Hp dragon with volcarona.... Lame. And I can only learn giga drain through eggs right? LAME.

ramyeon

Exchange Friend Codes with Devo, go in his Friend Safari, use Pokémon with Thief to OHKO Golurks until you snatch a Light Clay (make sure your Thief isn't holding anything first, or it won't work), and... PROFIT
A tip is to lead with something that has Compound Eyes, it ups the rate of pokemon holding items by 50%.

Exchange Friend Codes with Devo, go in his Friend Safari, use Pokémon with Thief to OHKO Golurks until you snatch a Light Clay (make sure your Thief isn't holding anything first, or it won't work), and... PROFIT
Also don't forget keeping a Pokemon with Compound Eyes at the front of your team as you do this!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Fuck battle spot. I know I'm complaining a lot but I just had a CRAZY sweep against a Japanese player that I wanted to show you guys. Like literally after my set up Kanga one hit KO'd everything, didn't even use baby Kanga's turn. Then as soon as their last non fainted they disconnected. WHY? At least let me get my victory screen and a chance to save my video. Ugh.

Not really an excuse for disconnecting losers, but mega kanga tends to piss people off. A lot.

spiritfox

This. Was. AMAZING.

You should find a way to upload this to YouTube, seriously. :O

My Carbink stopped your Flame Charge Flareon!

I've yet to see a Talonflame carry that, but I've survived STAB Steel attacks (see this past weekend's Meteor Mash vid), I can probably take a Steel Wing from Talonflame.

Hmm, that might work, although if the threat was Taunt, that'd be just as detrimental to Gourgeist. :-\

Magic Bounce is fun.

Top Bottom