• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

What's the best non-Mega Garchomp set to run?

I have no access to Stealth Rock, so I was thinking,

- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

I'd go with Iron Head over Poison Jab if I were you, unless one-shotting Azumarill is really that important to you. It just has more coverage and is more useful in general.

one_kill

Out of curiosity, are you cloning, or just shiny-trawling to get things rolling? I've put some shiny/rare stuff out there, but no one seems to be biting. :/
I don't want to say the specific Pokemon I'm swapping, but my method is:

But it's swapping a Pokemon I've hatched for another Pokemon you can't normally get in the wild or by breeding, then swapping that Pokemon for a legendary (that people seem more open to let go), followed by swapping that legendary for a non Kalos legendary which I may keep or swap for another.

For shinies, I just approach random passersby and show them my shinies. Sometimes they offer legendaries, other times they offer shinies.

I'd go with Iron Head over Poison Jab if I were you, unless one-shotting Azumarill is really that important to you. It just has more coverage and is more useful in general.

I really have no desire to breed two Egg Moves on to him (as Outrage being the other). What coverage is Iron Head going to give me over Poison Jab? Or would I be better with a support move like Swords Dance or Protect?

OceanBlue

I really have no desire to breed two Egg Moves on to him (as Outrage being the other). What coverage is Iron Head going to give me over Poison Jab? Or would I be better with a support move like Swords Dance or Protect?

Lol, I have a Larvitar with Iron Head I can give you. It learns Outrage as an Egg Move as well so you can just breed Outrage on a Larvitar and use that to breed a Gibile with Iron Head and Outrage.

Edit: Also just because I was curious...
252+ Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 169-201 (81.6 - 97.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 180-214 (86.9 - 103.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Basically, if you use anything other than a Choice Band, you'll always do >50% but you'll never OHKO unless you've already boosted with Swords Dance. It doesn't seem like the difference between Earthquake and Poison Jab is that big on Azumarill.

Korosenai

I can hook you up with a Gible tomorrow with iron head and outrage if you want.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I don't want to say the specific Pokemon I'm swapping, but my method is:

But it's swapping a Pokemon I've hatched for another Pokemon you can't normally get in the wild or by breeding, then swapping that Pokemon for a legendary (that people seem more open to let go), followed by swapping that legendary for a non Kalos legendary which I may keep or swap for another.

For shinies, I just approach random passersby and show them my shinies. Sometimes they offer legendaries, other times they offer shinies.

I admit I'm curious as to which Pokemon you're using as a buffer that people are willing to let (even possibly cloned or native Kalos) legendaries go for, but it's all good. I might ask you again when Pokebank finally hits NA, though. :p

I'll have to invoke more edit: passerby, (lol) shiny exchanges, though. Never really paid attention to that part of the PSS.

Sigmaah

What I copped today:
Shiny 6v Timid Darkrai (JPN)
Shiny 6v Timid Latias (JPN)
Shiny 6v Timid Latios (JPN)
Shiny 6v Timid Thundurus (JPN)
Shiny 6v Jolly Landorus (JPN)
Shiny 6v Sassy Cresselia (ENG)
Shiny 6v Naive Rayquaza (JPN)

Competitive Mons
Shiny 6v Timid Drought Vulpix w/willowisp-hex-power swap
Shiny 6v Timid Solor Charmander w/Outrage-DD-Dragon Pulse-Ancient Power
Shiny 6v Timid Trace Ralts
Shiny 6v Adamant Iron Chimchar w/thunderp-firep-fake out-focus energy
Shiny 5v Adamant Speed Torchic w/Baton
Shiny 5v Timid Zorua w/sucker-counter-extrasn-snatch
Shiny 5v Adamant Totodile w/crunch-ice punch-DD-Aqua Jet
Shiny 5v Jolly Mold Axew
Shiny HP Fire Modest Chlor Bulbasuar w/hidden-giga drain-petal dance-leaf storm
Shiny 5v Adamant Beldum (FRE)
Shiny 5v Adamant Gale Fletchling
Shiny 5v Adamant Tech Scizor w/Bullet-night slash-silver wind-baton pass
Shiny 5v Calm Serene Togepi w/charm-nasty plot

I'd say today was a good trading day!

one_kill

jeez Sigmaah

Are you trying to get all the shinies?

I admit I'm curious as to which Pokemon you're using as a buffer that people are willing to let (even possibly cloned or native Kalos) legendaries go for, but it's all good. I might ask you again when Pokebank finally hits NA, though. :p

I'll have to invoke more passenger shiny exchanges, though. Never really paid attention to that part of the PSS.
Approach Japanese players who have done a lot of trades.

one_kill

Hearing so many people hacking/copying is making me lose interest in trying to complete my pokedex. :/
It shouldn't. Cloning in this game is not only difficult to do (it doesn't work 100%, technique is everything) but it also has a high barrier of entry (you need two systems and two games).

It also makes people more open to giving their Pokemon, particularly event legendaries. That means you have a better chance of actually getting a complete dex than you would otherwise. Right now to get everything you need to have had:
- Games from Gen 3 to Gen 6
- Old DS or DS Lite and 3DS
- Got the event Pokemon in each game

For someone trying to get 100% dex, cloning is a helpful tool.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
It shouldn't. Cloning in this game is not only difficult to do (it doesn't work 100%, technique is everything) but has a high barrier of entry (you need two systems and two games).

It also makes people more open to giving their Pokemon, particularly event legendaries. That means you have a better chance of actually getting a complete dex than you would otherwise. Right now to get everything you need to have had:

To be fair, it's still somewhat trading among the elite/cloners, admittedly with some people like yourself managing to break in, though. Obviously, as the cloning continues, standards will drop, but I wouldn't go putting in a lot of hope for seeing a Genesect just yet.

But you don't need event 'mon to complete the dex anyways, and I'm guessing/hoping that when the rest of the world gets Pokebank, standards will really drop.

My only tip would be to deposit stuff into the GL system, rather than trying to search/seek out stuff, as most reasonable trades get snapped up instantly atm. Honestly, I'm having fun just breeding semi-rare stuff from Friend Safaris in between Le Wow evolve Runs, and getting trades for stuff I'm missing.

On a sidenote, I need Sigmaah to teach me his timing precision. Mine sucks.

I dunno about flat out hacked, unless you mean RNG'd in White and then cloned here in X/Y.

Almost done with the Coastal Kalos Dex, then it's hunting down 10 or so 'mon for the Mountain. Elgyem has been a godsend for stuff like Dusknoir and Weavile.

If anyone has a porygon 2 or Z, if I could just trade back and forth for the dex, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.

false
RNG'd in Black

Kappa

It's the same to me either way; if you're going to game the system, just flat out cheat, or does it make one feel better that they took the half-ass approach.

oh it's you again
it seems I wrote something about that:

hey, I was just about to mention that Pokemon was the only other competitive community [other than Smash Bros] with more resistance from within its own fanbase than from the outside!

Nintendo casual is a real thing confirmed

To be fair, it's still somewhat trading among the elite/cloners, admittedly with some people like yourself managing to break in, though. Obviously, as the cloning continues, standards will drop, but I wouldn't go putting in a lot of hope for seeing a Genesect just yet.

But you don't need event 'mon to complete the dex anyways, and I'm guessing/hoping that when the rest of the world gets Pokebank, standards will really drop.

My only tip would be to deposit stuff into the GL system, rather than trying to search/seek out stuff, as most reasonable trades get snapped up instantly atm. Honestly, I'm having fun just breeding semi-rare stuff from Friend Safaris in between Le Wow evolve Runs, and getting trades for stuff I'm missing.

On a sidenote, I need Sigmaah to teach me his timing precision. Mine sucks.

I'll probably end up doing that. I got a good chunk of my pokedex filled from the random trading in black/white where all you can do to communicate with people is a couple of emotes. Wonder if any of those are hacked. :/

It shouldn't. Cloning in this game is not only difficult to do (it doesn't work 100%, technique is everything) but it also has a high barrier of entry (you need two systems and two games).

- Old DS or DS Lite and 3DS

I got a Groudon and Swampert from my friends Ruby version. Can't remember if I still have it or not. Got the other gen III starters, Kyogre and two Rayquaza's from random trading. Also got a Deoxys from someone on another forum (gave him a Raikou, which I need another one now).

Wazzy

Banned
I've taken a bit of a break from Pokemon but I'm starting to miss it again. I can't wait until Firestorms tournament starts so I can get back into battling.

Man, Chatot's such a beast with Boomburst.

:(

GGs man. Well, the second one was close. I really screwed up that first match by doing Ice Shard by accident instead of Icicle Spear. Also, fuck Mandibuzz. That thing is unkillable.

I'm surprised by how scary and bulky Mega Heracross is. He put in work.

macklelol

:(

GGs man. Well, the second one was close. I really screwed up that first match by doing Ice Shard by accident instead of Icicle Spear. Also, fuck Mandibuzz. That thing is unkillable.

I'm surprised by how scary and bulky Mega Heracross is. He put in work.

GGs, that second match was great. Mandibuzz is da best.

This is the most effort I've ever put into a Pokemon game. It scares me, a little. I have a Life Orb. A LIFE ORB! You have no idea how big of a step that is for me.

Also I've bred two Pokemon to relative perfection. For example, my Aggron has four perfect stats. But fuck does an Aggron need Special Attack or Speed for? It's bred for its Mega Evolution, anyways (which is a goddamn tank/paper towel depending on if it's hit with physical or special moves, respectively).

CrimsonN0

Anyone still up and want to do a battle or two?
Fight against my randomly put together team of recently trained pokemon.

My FC:5000-3009-5859
IGN: Crimson

I'm surprised the offer stayed up a whole night but bagged myself Lucky egg number 4 for a Porygon2 (it also took a whole night for someone to up-grade my Porygon, now I have enough for one -z and one 2). Thats my limits for lucky eggs. I guess now I have no excuse not to level up and EV train stuff (such as Tepig which I now realise learns bulk up making curse as an egg move a bit pointless).

When I get Porygon-z I'll be at seen 678, obtained 673 (Articuno, GSC beasts, Elektross).

Usobuko

Banned
Anyone here want a Skarmory w/ Stealth Rock/Brave Bird/Whirlwind/Drill Peck? Have a handful with good IVs.

I also has Totodile with w/ IcePunch/DragonDance/AquaJet/Crunch.

Stealth Rock is only available after pokebank right? If so, I will take one together with Totodile. Time to retire my Skarmory.

Muku

Is it safe to assume that if I'm able to transfer my Pokemon from Pearl to White 2 that I'll be able to transfer them to XY?

Should be able to. I don't believe White is required. But I know I transferred from Pearl to Black though rather than Black 2. I imagine though you should be able to though. Once in there we just need PokeBank to come up and you would be able to get them in X/Y.

macklelol

Oh man, Focus Miss lives true to it's name. I don't even know what to say, Crimson.

You still won, but it should have been much easier wins for you.

Usobuko

Banned
What's the best non-Mega Garchomp set to run?

I have no access to Stealth Rock, so I was thinking,

- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

I will take away Poison Jab unless you want to go Choice Set. Stone Edge hits Togekiss already and you are better off with EQ for the other common fairies. Go with Sword Dance over Poison Jab. Use a lum berry on it.

Have this Garchomp leads whenever you see a Klefki on opponent team preview. Let him Swagger you since he can't T-Wave and EQ him. I usually Sword Dance if I know the opponent is going WoW-ing me.

one_kill

Should be able to. I don't believe White is required. But I know I transferred from Pearl to Black though rather than Black 2. I imagine though you should be able to though. Once in there we just need PokeBank to come up and you would be able to get them in X/Y.
Thanks Muku

Guess I'll be playing the mini game for some time <_<

CrimsonN0

Oh man, Focus Miss lives true to it's name. I don't even know what to say, Crimson.

You still won, but it should have been much easier wins for you.

Eh, the only major miss was the one Focus Blast that might've finished off Mandibuzz.
I'm kinda suprised it hit as much as it did.

Really, though, Mandibuzz is tankier than I thought and I was wary to really use Electric attacks because you could switch to Excadrill who could kill off my Elecktross.
Really shouldn't have been lazy and actually tried to get Hidden Powers for some of my other pokemon,

Muku

Thanks Muku

Guess I'll be playing the mini game for some time <_<

Actually just realized.. it wasn't Pearl to Black... it was Pearl to SoulSilver. Will it let you transfer from Pearl to Black/White? I assume it does cuz I think it's generation IV.

And yeah, mini game is awful. Actually going Ruby -> FireRed -> Pearl -> SoulSilver again while waiting on PokeBank. (Skipped first two and working on Pearl since I lacked GBA cable at time but picked up one yesterday to go back to previous two.) Can't wait for PokeBank.. no muss, no fuss. Mini game is stupid.

ugoo18

Actually just realized.. it wasn't Pearl to Black... it was Pearl to SoulSilver. Will it let you transfer from Pearl to Black/White? I assume it does cuz I think it's generation IV.

And yeah, mini game is awful. Actually going Ruby -> FireRed -> Pearl -> SoulSilver again while waiting on PokeBank. (Skipped first two and working on Pearl since I lacked GBA cable at time but picked up one yesterday to go back to previous two.) Can't wait for PokeBank.. no muss, no fuss. Mini game is stupid.

Still better than the bs that is B/W to B/W2.....

Muku

Still better than the bs that is B/W to B/W2.....

Is it that bad? I transferred all my old legendaries and all to Black and held on to it there. When Black 2 came out I said screw it, they'll probably let us transfer off Black to next generation anyway.

ugoo18

Is it that bad? I transferred all my old legendaries and all to Black and held on to it there. When Black 2 came out I said screw it, they'll probably let us transfer off Black to next generation anyway.

You made the right choice.

There is no transfer system between B/W and B/W2 because it's technically in the same generation or some cop out like that.

Instead if you want to transfer from B/W to B/W2 you have to trade between the 2. I'd rather play the minigame than have to go catch and breed boxes full of pokemon just to move my living dex over to B/W2.

Muku

You made the right choice.

There is no transfer system between B/W and B/W2 because it's technically in the same generation or some cop out like that.

Instead if you want to transfer from B/W to B/W2 you have to trade between the 2. I'd rather play the minigame than have to go catch and breed boxes full of pokemon just to move my living dex over to B/W2.

LOL oh wow. Doesn't surprise me... but glad I stuck it out. Screw that.

hupla

rH0GbeW.jpg

Hatched this cutie today after about 5 boxeses of breeding (not counting the mons i gave up breeding a shiby of) but hey its actually not so bad when you pace yourself. This is the first shiny ive gotten with the masuda method and im super happy. Its named after my Kamen Rider Girls Oshi and its adorable yeah.

ugoo18

I really wish GTS didn't allow people to request the non gts legendaries since you can't offer them at all.

Some legendaries have long backlogs of requests for Darkrai's, Mew's and pretty much any of the other Non-GTS Bank Legendaries.

Usobuko

Banned
I really wish GTS didn't allow people to request the non gts legendaries since you can't offer them at all.

Some legendaries have long backlogs of requests for Darkrai's, Mew's and pretty much any of the other Non-GTS Bank Legendaries.

What do you mean? Why can you request these Pokemons?

Top Bottom