• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

JoeM86

Nintendo has noted from their Japanese Twitter what they are doing with Bank

They're currently still testing server loads and need to continue testing it. Once that is complete, they'll be able to restart distribution.

Lots of stress testing ahead

[任天堂] なお、『ポケモンバンク』は引き続きシステムに与える負荷検証を行っており、十分な検証を行ったのちに配信を再開させていただく予定です。お待ちいただいているみなさまには大変申し訳ございませんが、もうしばらくお待ちくださいますようお願い申し上げます。

Please understand

Oswen

Nintendo has noted from their Japanese Twitter what they are doing with Bank

They're currently still testing server loads and need to continue testing it. Once that is complete, they'll be able to restart distribution.

Lots of stress testing ahead

Please understand

Good thing they said something about it, what was killing most of the people was the absolute silence.
Hopefully we get a date soon.

Muku

Their body servers weren't ready.
:(

Though, you think they'll bring up JP first when they go ahead with PokeBank (again)?

JoeM86

Their servers weren't ready.
:(

Though, you think they'll bring up JP first when they go ahead with PokeBank (again)?

Well they'll definitely stagger it. It would be ridiculous to make it come out the same time worldwide as that'd just invite even more issues.

Bank killed their servers within 5 minutes with just Japan.

My bet is Japan first, then US/EU the following week and the other the next.

Muku

Well they'll definitely stagger it. It would be ridiculous to make it come out the same time worldwide as that'd just invite even more issues.

Bank killed their servers within 5 minutes with just Japan.

My bet is Japan first, then US/EU the following week and the other the next.

:( I'd kind of hope US would get a jump this time around, but considering it's a Japanese corporation might be hoping for too much. Just glad they've finally said something I guess.

Going back to these old game is driving me batshit insane.

JoeM86

:( I'd kind of hope US would get a jump this time around, but considering it's a Japanese corporation might be hoping for too much. Just glad they've finally said something I guess.

Going back to these old game is driving me batshit insane.

Look at it like this.

For Pokémon, Japan is the bigger and more enthusiastic market. If it works in Japan, then it's safe everywhere.

Good thing they said something about it, what was killing most of the people was the absolute silence.
Hopefully we get a date soon.

We don't have a date because they don't have one. If they were to give one and the servers require more testing, people would get even more annoyed. Better to give no timeframe and get it up as soon as they can than either rush to a date which will potentially cause issues, or have to delay it beforehand.

Real-life events are dying out and being replaced by Wi-Fi events. Your best bet is to find if they're holding a VGC qualifier near you.

Unless you move to Japan, and yet people wonder why Japan gets more events, since the west rarely holds them and when they do, people just get the Pokémon and leave.

Muku

Unless you move to Japan, and yet people wonder why Japan gets more events, since the west rarely holds them and when they do, people just get the Pokémon and leave.

Well, helps in some cases that it's smaller. Pokemon Centers also help. My problem is there was never anything really near me, and by time it was near my area, I'd have moved, which was more frustrating than helpful. I'm more for pushing the Wifi stuff. But I also live abroad right now too.

Forkball

How important is Pokerus for horde EV training? I know it's great beneficial, but doing horde EV training without it is still superior and faster than super training, right?

Oswen

Look at it like this.
We don't have a date because they don't have one. If they were to give one and the servers require more testing, people would get even more annoyed. Better to give no timeframe and get it up as soon as they can than either rush to a date which will potentially cause issues, or have to delay it beforehand.

Oh i know that, i'm not really complaining even if i am one who was really looking forward for the Bank.
All of that happening right in the middle of the holidays probably made things even harder since most workers were at home i guess, still hoping it's sooner rather than later.

JoeM86

Well, helps in some cases that it's smaller. Pokemon Centers also help. My problem is there was never anything really near me, and by time it was near my area, I'd have moved, which was more frustrating than helpful. I'm more for pushing the Wifi stuff. But I also live abroad right now too.

Well it's not just that. As I often say, it's a cultural divide.

In Japan, people go to events. They battle, trade, do missions etc. They make a day of it, and they buy stuff at the place.

In America and Europe, other than VGC and other very core events, people go to the store, try to download it from outside, and then leave.

Muku

Well it's not just that. As I often say, it's a cultural divide.

In Japan, people go to events. They battle, trade, do missions etc. They make a day of it, and they buy stuff at the place.

In America and Europe, other than VGC and other very core events, people go to the store, try to download it from outside, and then leave.

Oh I don't deny it's a cultural divide too. But also geared towards kids. I find as an adult, if I go shopping for Pokemon anything (cards, toys, etc) I get looked at funny. If I wear my Pikachu hat.. I get looked at funny. It's more than culture though. It's interesting. Stateside seems pretty open in who can like it. Here? You're odd if you're an adult and like it.

JoeM86

Oh I don't deny it's a cultural divide too. But also geared towards kids. I find as an adult, if I go shopping for Pokemon anything (cards, toys, etc) I get looked at funny. If I wear my Pikachu hat.. I get looked at funny. It's more than culture though. It's interesting. Stateside seems pretty open in who can like it. Here? You're odd if you're an adult.

Really? I hear stories from the US all the time of people being judged for being older than 13 and buying things for it.

Usobuko

Banned
How important is Pokerus for horde EV training? I know it's great beneficial, but doing horde EV training without it is still superior and faster than super training, right?

It's important because it is far faster, it also easy to obtain from other players as well as passing around to your Pokemons. You get 50 EVs per horde which takes less than a minute thanks to Pokerus compared to 25 EVs. Although you need the power items, it is good investment should you breed plenty of ideal pokemons. For Super Training, you are going to far more time to match the 50 EVs per horde. Far more.

I use Super Training if I need to hit specific odd EVs after 50(x) multiples. Say you want 216 in Def ( random example), you do 4 times horde training and 1 time Super Training which give 16 EVs.

Both systems complement each other.

Muku

Really? I hear stories from the US all the time of people being judged for being older than 13 and buying things for it.

Really? Now I'm kind of curious. Will have to test that out whenever I move back to States. Curious if it's a regional thing, or if I've just gotten lucky.

MicH

Yeah, you really need Pokerus for horde EV training. I trained three Pokemon in 15 minutes yesterday. God I love Exp Share + Power items

Muku

actually my colleagues ridicule me for playing at my age (30 y/o on 13th jan)..
then i gently remind them with a smirk their paycheck and mine, and that evidently i'm good enough that while "doing kid stuff" i can outperform them so brutally.. usually more arguments rises and yadda yadda..
in italy at least, videogaming is still seen as a stigma easily :)

Probably is in general. :( Though initially meant more regional in terms of where I lived originally. Glad to see you are proud to play it though! Don't know if folks know how in depth some of this stuff gets that goes over kids heads but is great for us.

I proudly play Pokemon and collect Pokemon stuff while I'm here. And proudly wear my Pikachu hat haha. I think people forget, that this is something we grew up with, in some way or another.

JoeM86

All my friends know I play it and run the site. When I'm introduced to someone, my friends usually mention the site and how popular it is. I'm known in my extended friend circle as "Pokémon Joe" and "Serebii Joe".

Almost all respect it. Never actually seen a bad reaction to it, but that could be due to the age group and the sort of people they are. Never really see stuffy people, nearly all the people I meet are into games in some form or another.

Maybe I'll see negative reactions in 10 years.

onslack

Only a few friends know I play it ( I'm 29 in Feb), I still get torn apart for playing it!

Might be why i dont attend any tournaments here in the uk lol

All my friends know I play it and run the site. When I'm introduced to someone, my friends usually mention the site and how popular it is. I'm known in my extended friend circle as "Pokémon Joe" and "Serebii Joe".

Almost all respect it. Never actually seen a bad reaction to it, but that could be due to the age group and the sort of people they are. Never really see stuffy people, nearly all the people I meet are into games in some form or another.

You just answered your own inquiry. You meet who you want to meet.

MicH

I was able to snatch a luxury ball female prankster cottonee and swift swim feebas with egg moves. :D gotta breed later.
Damn it, why did I already train a Milotic?! :p

Seriously, I'm very interested in getting one of each if you have any rejects even you're done :eek:

Hopefully you never do Joe. :) I turn 34 next month and have been enjoying the Pokemon games since I was 18. You can't put a age on fun. Only an ignorant person would make fun of someone for playing Pokemon.

Premier Balls and Luxury Balls are top tier stuff, I treat them equally.

Different balls are good for certain types of Pokemon. Like Dive Balls for Azumarill or a Shiny Gliscor (which I am dying for).

30-35 is the average age of first generation players.
This makes me feel better about myself. I'm 24. My friends don't judge me for it and they do play it themselves but still.

SeZMehK

Hopefully you never do Joe. :) I turn 34 next month and have been enjoying the Pokemon games since I was 18. You can't put a age on fun. Only an ignorant person would make fun of someone for playing Pokemon.

Premier Balls and Luxury Balls are top tier stuff, I treat them equally.

Different balls are good for certain types of Pokemon. Like Dive Balls for Azumarill or a Shiny Gliscor (which I am dying for).

This makes me feel better about myself. I'm 24. My friends don't judge me for it and they do play it themselves but still.

I'm about 10 years younger and from the very first generation. Maybe 1.5 since mine was Yellow.

I turn 29 this year and a soon to be father. I've been playing pokemon since I was 12 with the release of blue. I will continue to play. Hopefully I can have my daughter (excited) to play once she is old enough. :D

MicH

Oh wow, I have never bred a Pokemon this fast

Got a Growlithe with Close Combat from OceanBlue (male). Caught a female in a luxury ball in the Friend Safari and bred them. When I got a female (this took a while though) I bred it with my male Infernape and the very first egg was a 31/31/31/x/31/31 Adamant Intimidate Growlithe w/ Close Combat and Flare Blitz

Feels so great

joelseph

I started with red/blue and I'm 26, all my friends are about the same age.

It makes sense you are the same age as your friends. I should have put the word "ceiling" in there. 30-35 is average age of the oldest players that started playing first generation. . I am turning 34 in February, I have older friends that play now but they started in later generations.

35?! No chance. That would mean you were born in 1978, and 20 years old when the first game came out in America in 1998. I'm sure there were plenty of 20 year olds playing Red/Blue/Yellow back in the day, but I wouldn't call that the target market.

I would say those born in 1985-1991 were more the people who grew up on generation 1 Pokemon, and those that probably remember it the most in terms of impact to their lives. 20 year olds in 1998 will never be able to speak to trading via link cable at recess.

For reference I'm 15. I was 10 years old when the original games/anime/TCG came out. I was probably pretty close to the ideal consumer for Nintendo at that point.

Muku

35?! No chance. That would mean you were born in 1978, and 20 years old when the first game came out in America in 1998. I'm sure there were plenty of 20 year olds playing Red/Blue/Yellow back in the day, but I wouldn't call that the target market.

I would say those born in 1985-1991 were more the people who grew up on generation 1 Pokemon, and those that probably remember it the most in terms of impact to their lives. 20 year olds in 1998 will never be able to speak to trading via link cable at recess.

For reference I'm 15. I was 10 years old when the original games/anime/TCG came out. I was probably pretty close to the ideal consumer for Nintendo at that point.

Trading wasn't everything. Of course being older when it came out than probably initial intended audience, I just wanted to play an RPG and have fun. Trading didn't mean so much to me. I enjoyed the Pokemon I had access too, but I also ended up buying the version I didn't initially get and just traded to myself, haha.

Though, while not often, there were some older folks than me at the Pokemon TCG leagues. Could trade there too though, if you didn't know anyone else in scene in your daily life.

SeZMehK

Man, I am breeding a perfect 6 iv jolly hustle female nidoran with the god ditto and I still can't get the proper IV spread on a male nidoran. Damn RNG gods hate me. :/

Man, I am breeding a perfect 6 iv jolly hustle female nidoran with the god ditto and I still can't get the proper IV spread on a male nidoran. Damn RNG gods hate me. :/

I was breeding physical attacker MegaLucario the other day with Ditto God Edition. The Lucario had a spread of X/31/31/31/31/31...

For some reason? I would keep getting 31/X/X/31/31/X eggs. Like consistently. The RNG Gods were laughing at me.

Wichu

I was breeding physical attacker MegaLucario the other day with Ditto God Edition. The Lucario had a spread of X/31/31/31/31/31...

For some reason? I would keep getting 31/X/X/31/31/X eggs. Like consistently. The RNG Gods were laughing at me.

If you were using Destiny Knot, that's not possible. 6V and 5V parents with Destiny Knot means all children have at least 4 perfect stats.

joelseph

35?! No chance. That would mean you were born in 1978, and 20 years old when the first game came out in America in 1998.

I was a senior in High School in 98 when the game released. I have been playing ever since. My point was that anyone older than 30-35 now would have been in College at the time of the release and therefore would have been less likely to become a fan of the series during the first generation. Therefore I hypothesized that the oldest first generation players are currently 30-35.

MicH

That's how the Noibats treated me yesterday. I even got several with 31 IVs in Attack despite neither parent having that!

joelseph

Garchompite vs Choice gear

I play doubles with defensive chip team and sword setup. Lead with Rotom-Wash and Speed Boost Scolipede. Currently BP to Argon but built a Jolly Landshark to test. Been going back and forth on Mega vs Choice gear, would love to hear other people's thoughts.

Top Bottom