• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Holmes

Shit. Shiiiiit. I was going for a 31/31/31/x/31/31 Marill with Huge Power when it hatched...

Shiny Marill! :D

It's 29/31/31/x/31/31, which is good enough for me! Unfortunately it has Thick Fat, so I need to get an Ability Capsule... and I've never even been to the Battle Maison yet. It's gonna be a long day of battling!

OceanBlue

Shit. Shiiiiit. I was going for a 31/31/31/x/31/31 Marill with Huge Power when it hatched...

It's 29/31/31/x/31/31, which is good enough for me! Unfortunately it has Thick Fat, so I need to get an Ability Capsule... and I've never even been to the Battle Maison yet. It's gonna be a long day of battling!

Daaaamn. That's really lucky. I can't imagine how jealous the people who've been hatching for even mediocre shinies with no luck feel, lol.

Ugh I messed up a 30 win streak in super singles because I couldn't figure out Gourgeists type. That's what I get for playing with a wiki open

L.O.R.D

how you guys know how much IV for the pokemon ?
i went to that man on pokemon center and he only said your pokemon is...etc etc
no numbers

MicH

I think I'm gonna breed a nice Gardevoir next. Never used one (prefer Gallade), so I have no idea what to run on it. The standard set seems to be something like

Psychic
Shadow Ball
Moonblast
Thunderbolt

What do you guys think? Also, Timid or Modest?

Wow, that is one hell of a shiny! Congrats :D

So I've been EV training my Aegislash and now I'm worried I've actually made a huge mistake on stats. Since King's Shield swaps attack and defense, if I want its moves as powerful as possible, am I supposed to be putting EVs into attack or defense? I thought it would make sense to do defense, but then I realized my Aegislash has a brave nature which also seems like a mistake, because isn't the original attack stat basically pointless?

Kinokou

Breeding question, which is more likely to give me a 0\0\0\0\0\0\ offspring:

a) two x\0\0\0\0\0 pokemon one holding a destiny knot
b) one x\0\0\0\0\0 with destiny knot + one 0\0\0\0\0\x holding a power item to pass HP?

NEO0MJ

how you guys know how much IV for the pokemon ?
i went to that man on pokemon center and he only said your pokemon is...etc etc
no numbers

That guy only tells you the average of your pokemon's IVs, and if it has any IV that are perfect or zero. You're gonna have to use an IV calculator such as the one on serebii if you want a more accurate estimate.

Wichu

So I've been EV training my Aegislash and now I'm worried I've actually made a huge mistake on stats. Since King's Shield swaps attack and defense, if I want its moves as powerful as possible, am I supposed to be putting EVs into attack or defense? I thought it would make sense to do defense, but then I realized my Aegislash has a brave nature which also seems like a mistake, because isn't the original attack stat basically pointless?

It doesn't swap actual stats, it swaps base stats. To increase its Attack while in Blade Forme, you still have to put EVs into Attack.

I'd got 252 HP / 252 Attack.

Breeding question, which is more likely to give me a 0\0\0\0\0\0\ offspring:

a) two x\0\0\0\0\0 pokemon one holding a destiny knot
b) one x\0\0\0\0\0 with destiny knot + one 0\0\0\0\0\x holding a power item to pass HP?

I think the second is more likely. The first is 1/192 (1/6 to inherit everything but HP, and 1/32 to get 0 HP). The second is 3/160 ((1 - 2/5 to not inherit 0 Speed) * 1/32 to get 0 in the non-inherited stat). That's nearly 4x better odds :)

Fireblend

Banned
So bear with me, I'd like to ask some noob team-building questions, mostly based around the fact that I really want to build a team Mawile/Mega Mawile can be useful on. I bred a Brave one with 0 speed for the purpose of being used in a Trick Room since I've read that's where it would really shine, plus, being the noob I am, I'd like to experiment with TR.

1. Does a Trick Room team have to be entirely built around that move? TR only lasts 5 turns, so I'd assume not all of my Pokemon should either be TR casters or slow as snails, right? I was thinking having only Mawile as the only really slow Pokemon, and having 1 or 2 TR casters, so that I can have 3-4 team slots saved for other uses. I might want to use an Azumarill, or maybe Greninja & Aegislash which I think are a nice team, for example.

2. What's a good TR caster? I was thinking Banette, maybe Gardevoir?

3. Since TR only lasts 5 turns and Mawile's supposed to do as much damage as possible, it doesn't make much sense to include Swords Dance on Mawile's moveset since it won't be able to set anything up, right? I was thinking Sucker Punch, Iron Head, Play Rough & Brick Break.

Question - why are personalities important (ex. Jolly dratini, adamant squirtle)?

I never understood this

Natures gives you a boost in one stat and a decrease in another. Depending on the pokémon, its natural abilities and stats, you may want to prioritize it (for example you'd rather have a nature that gives you a boost in Speed in a pokémon with naturally high speed).

NEO0MJ

Anyone here ever tried using a FEAR pokemon? I'm tempted to try it for trolling purposes.

Question - why are personalities important (ex. Jolly dratini, adamant squirtle)?

I never understood this

These give one stat a 10% boost at the cost another stat getting a 10% decrease. So for example Jolly boosts a pokemon's speed while decreasing its spacial attack. For a pokemon like Dragonite this can be pretty good as it mostly uses physical moves.

Edit: Beaten, twice.

Anyone here ever tried using a FEAR pokemon? I'm tempted to try it for trolling purposes.
I think nobody's ever going to use it in matches against humans, as the technique is really widespread and really, using a really low-level pokémon in matches (like Rattata or Magikarp) raises all kinds of danger flags ha ha.

Strigiday

Neo Member
Is there a better place to train attack evs than route 5? I keep trying to get scraggy hordes but they're always gulpins or plusles.

Holmes

When Aegislash uses King's Shield, it changes into Shield Forme with great defense and special defense, and crappy attack and special attack. When you use an attack, it changes to Blade Forme, with great attack and special attack and crappy defense and special defense.

Changing between these forms swaps Aegislash's base stats, not the actual stats. Additional EVs to a stat, nature bonuses (and penalties), and IVs are not swapped between forms.

I think I'm gonna breed a nice Gardevoir next. Never used one (prefer Gallade), so I have no idea what to run on it. The standard set seems to be something like

Psychic
Shadow Ball
Moonblast
Thunderbolt

What do you guys think? Also, Timid or Modest?

Wow, that is one hell of a shiny! Congrats :D

I run Moonblast, Thunderbolt, and then Light Screen/Reflect. Gardevoir's biggest issue is that she's frail as a twig, so those two help cover that. Moon/Thunder seem to give me pretty good coverage, can hit a lot of things at least neutrally.
Mine's Modest, but I'm sometimes wishing I had done Timid to outspeed some things... But I don't know too much about competitiveness so hey.

I never understood this

Different Natures give a 10+ and -10 boost in certain stats, buy choosing the right one for the job you can get the most out of your Pokemon's role in battle.

For example Pokemon with a Brave Atk+|-Speed. Pokemon like Mega Mawile are powerful but slow.

You might want to run Adamant Nature Atk+|-Sp Atk. Since you won't use special moves anyway and don't want to decrease defenses. But if for example you can to use Mawile in a Trick Room team (Trick Room has slower pokes attack first) then you want him to be as slow as possible.

So Brave is going to be the perfect Nature for the job.

EMT0

Banned

That's actually exactly what I'm gunning for lol. I've got a 4 IV Japanese Marill and my own 5 IV Marill doing the hanky panky while the daycare man ain't lookin, they're spitting out eggs like a factory and I'm at 200 eggs atm.

Kinokou

I think the second is more likely. The first is 1/192 (1/6 to inherit everything but HP, and 1/32 to get 0 HP). The second is 3/160 ((1 - 2/5 to not inherit 0 Speed) * 1/32 to get 0 in the non-inherited stat). That's nearly 4x better odds :)

Remember: in case you want to get odds for specific IV breeding outcomes, you can use the tool I made (it's in the OP under Training):

IV Inheritance Tool

Oh, awesome thanks. I'll just have to keep going then.

Holmes

What's the best way to get BP at the Battle Maison? Just starting now for the first time and I'll I'm getting is 1BP per battle. :\

What's the best way to get BP at the Battle Maison? Just starting now for the first time and I'll I'm getting is 1BP per battle. :\

Just do more Battle Maison. :/ You'll get more. After around 10 matches you start getting 2, then for the boss you get 20.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
By the by. Have any of you noticed that the ingame clock isn't working correctly? It says I played for 50 hours, but my 3ds says it has only been 30 hours.

It seems that the game adds bits of time even when in sleepmode.

Joqu

I revise my statement.

97% chance a troll.

Oh I think so too. Would be great if true though.

Was mostly wondering if anyone here has heard more about this, with people finding their shinies in the safari and all that. I never get any non-fishing shinies. :(

Wichu

Well, it's true that "shiny Pokémon are guaranteed to appear in the Friend Safari" simply due to probability.

I do believe the shiny rate is higher, but I'm curious as to whether some of the other things there are true (most of all "the song plays faster"). I don't think I had my sound on when I found my two FS shinies.

Top Bottom