• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Anteo

So yesterday I went to the Safari to get some Rilous, and checking their IV's today, 2 of them have 4 perfect and the other 2 has 3 perfect. So.. was I just lucky? Or there is something else that affects the IV's from safari, like if the person is online or how many mons you ahve on your dex or something?

Any tips for passing down a hidden ability? Caught myself a Shelgon with Overcoat, but the nature is no good

60% chance when breeding a female with ha and a male with whatever ability (ha or not) of the same species, or 60% chance when breeding a male with the ha and a ditto. 0% for anything else

So basically get the other parent to have the ability you want.

Morokh

So yesterday I went to the Safari to get some Rilous, and checking their IV's today, 2 of them have 4 perfect and the other 2 has 3 perfect. So.. was I just lucky? Or there is something else that affects the IV's from safari, like if the person is online or how many mons you ahve on your dex or something?

Safari 'mons are guaranteed to have at least 2 perfect IV's

I think I might have a six 0 IV pokemon. But I don't know what the IV judge is supposed to say. Are anyone able to help me IV check via battle?
He calls out each stat that is a zero by name with a critical comment like "but how can you make it through battle with defense that low?" Or "an attack stat like that won't even scratch you opponent" if you hear 6 specific douchey criticisms the pokemon has straight zeros. He only does that for things that are exactly 0.

Reposting chances for getting at least a certain number of 31 IVs:

Wild:
At least 1: 17.34% (about 1 in 6)
At least 2: 01.35% (about 1 in 74)

Wild Friend Safari (guaranteed 2):
At least 3: 11.93% (about 1 in 8)
At least 4: 00.56% (about 1 in 178)

Wild No Egg Group (guaranteed 3):
At least 4: 09.09% (about 1 in 11)
At least 5: 00.29% (about 1 in 348)

Kinokou

He calls out each stat that is a zero by name with a critical comment like "but how can you make it through battle with defense that low?" Or "an attack stat like that won't even scratch you opponent" if you hear 6 specific douchey criticisms the pokemon has straight zeros. He only does that for things that are exactly 0.

The Italian translation is different it seems. I'm guaranteed 5 zeros, and the sixth is either zero or the other lowest rank. But I don't know.

Kinokou

What's even the point of a six 0 IV Pokemon? Are they used for that pseudo-RNG breeding method that I mostly don't understand?

That's the point. And I would really like some help to check since I have no clue what the judge will say if everything is zero in either English or Italian.

DedValve

Banned
I cannot be bothered IV breeding which sucks since I'll be at such a big disadvantage when I actually want to just battle people competitively :(

I hate IV's :(

I cannot be bothered IV breeding which sucks since I'll be at such a big disadvantage when I actually want to just battle people competitively :(

I hate IV's :(
You really won't be.

IV bred Pokémon are nice and all but strategy and a well balanced team are good factors too.

upandaway

Could use a bit of advice here, you guys. So my battle facility team in gen 5 was:

Starmie @ Choice Specs, Modest
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Surf

Volcarona @ Lum Berry, Modest
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Psychic (will replace this with Hurricane)

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers, Careful
- Gyro Ball
- Curse
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

But now I don't really wanna use Ferrothorn anymore, because he makes every battle last 10x longer and that's not a good idea for my sanity in Maison. My plan is really to switch on special peeps to Volcarona, and physical peeps to Ferrothorn, then set up, or stay with Starmie when I can't.

So to replace Ferrothorn, does anyone have a good idea for a physical Pokemon that can set up safely? Perhaps a Mega Evolution. I'd appreciate any ideas regarding the other 2, too.

DedValve

Banned
You really won't be.

IV bred Pokémon are nice and all but strategy and a well balanced team are good factors too.

But what if strategy I enjoy involves speed? Welp I guess I'm SoL in that case.

The only pokemon I'll IV breed is Vulpix and thats only because I want a shiny one so might as well try upping her IV's while I'm at it.

Morokh

But what if strategy I enjoy involves speed? Welp I guess I'm SoL in that case.

The only pokemon I'll IV breed is Vulpix and thats only because I want a shiny one so might as well try upping her IV's while I'm at it.

Then just make sure you pass down the speed IV with a power item and don't bother about the rest of them, easy as pie :)

@spindashing : thx for the Kanga :)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Could use a bit of advice here, you guys. So my battle facility team in gen 5 was:

Starmie @ Choice Specs, Modest
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Surf

Volcarona @ Lum Berry, Modest
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Psychic (will replace this with Hurricane)

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers, Careful
- Gyro Ball
- Curse
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

But now I don't really wanna use Ferrothorn anymore, because he makes every battle last 10x longer and that's not a good idea for my sanity in Maison. My plan is really to switch on special peeps to Volcarona, and physical peeps to Ferrothorn, then set up, or stay with Starmie when I can't.

So to replace Ferrothorn, does anyone have a good idea for a physical Pokemon that can set up safely? Perhaps a Mega Evolution. I'd appreciate any ideas regarding the other 2, too.

Mega Lucario might work.

While we're on the topic, I'd like someone to hook me up with Hidden Ability Carbink. I'll continue searching for it later myself if I have to, though. ;P

Morokh

Does anyone have a female Charmander with perfect Sp.def, and Speed IV's ? don't have a single one with those stats after two boxes :x

Tenck

That IV guy is a massive troll.

"Your pokemon has superior Potential " Names Attack and speed.

"Your pokemon has average potential" Names Hp, attack, SpDef, and speed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hmm, what's a good Mega Lucario defensive set up build? He doesn't seem to have good defensive stats, how well can he switch into things and set up?

Ahh, you wanted something defensive? Try Mega Venasaur then. Megas don't get a whole lot more defensive.

Blasty

Can you guys rate this team?

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Nature: Modest
Moveset:
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Stream
EV's: 252 Atk / 76 Spe / 180 HP
Nature: Adamant
Moveset:
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
EV's: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Moveset:
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EV's: 252 Def / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Nature: Impish
Moveset:
- Automize / Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EV's: 252 Spe / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Nature: Adamant
Moveset:
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- U Turn
- Tailwind

Also, what's a good Pokemon for the fifth slot?

Unicorn

That IV guy is a massive troll.

"Your pokemon has superior Potential " Names Attack and speed.

"Your pokemon has average potential" Names Hp, attack, SpDef, and speed.

That second one must have absolutely dreadful Def and SpA while the first is more well-rounded.

upandaway

Ahh, you wanted something defensive? Try Mega Venasaur then. Megas don't get a whole lot more defensive.

I'm still not really sure what to do, my basic idea is a physical Pokemon that I can switch into as many things as possible to set up. It would help if I knew what to watch out for in regards to Volcarona and Starmie's weaknesses in my set, but I have no clue. My only fight this gen was Whippy where he destroyed my in-game team.

60% chance when breeding a female with ha and a male with whatever ability (ha or not) of the same species, or 60% chance when breeding a male with the ha and a ditto. 0% for anything else

So basically get the other parent to have the ability you want.

Thanks, that worked! :)

Top Bottom