• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Tenck

Still giving it away?

Anything in particular you want?

Just bred a male with 31/31/31/x/31/31 if you want that one.

Offer anything you think that's fair. I'm just starting out with my team, and so far I've got Blissey, Gengar, and Garchomp. So I'll take anything really.

Edit: It's also an Adamant with Huge Power. Has both Aqua Jet and Belly drum for you to mess with.

Wow. How do you go about it? By just being insane or is their some other method?

You can ensure getting a shiny with some decent IVs, but not perfect. Nor can you guarantee it'll have the right ability or gender. It's mostly insane, but more power to the people who pull it off. I'd like to try someday.

upandaway

Bred and trained an Aggron today, Mega Aggron is crazy. He's handling the Maison by himself most of the fights (couldn't train anyone else because I spent my BP on his power items, I just took some of my in-game team with him). It's crazy.

I went with this set:

Aggron @ Adamant w/ Aggronite
HP/ATK EVs (4 SP.DEF)
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- Rest

And I only ever used Rest twice so far... to heal a burn. I'll probably just swap that for another attack move or some buff move or something.
How viable is Heavy Slam? I don't really care for memorizing weights, is it fine if I just replace it with Iron Head and use it without thinking about it?

edit: oh also, i have breeding leftovers for him if anyone wants some, PM

DaBoss

Since I was tired of watching assholes with their Azumarills run wild online with their Belly Drum + Aqua Jet, I decided to breed some. I've got one reject with x/31/31/x/31/31 that I'd like to give away. It has Huge Power and its nature is Adamant.

Really? Why don't you attack them when they use Belly Drum?

Just bred a male with 31/31/31/x/31/31 if you want that one.

Offer anything you think that's fair. I'm just starting out with my team, and so far I've got Blissey, Gengar, and Garchomp. So I'll take anything really.

Edit: It's also an Adamant with Huge Power. Has both Aqua Jet and Belly drum for you to mess with.

Sure thing, I should have either a Chespin or a Swinub if you want either of those. Might have a few other things but I'll check.

Bred and trained an Aggron today, Mega Aggron is crazy. He's handling the Maison by himself most of the fights (couldn't train anyone else because I spent my BP on his power items, I just took some of my in-game team with him). It's crazy.

I went with this set:

Aggron @ Adamant w/ Aggronite
HP/ATK EVs (4 SP.DEF)
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- Rest

And I only ever used Rest twice so far... to heal a burn. I'll probably just swap that for another attack move or some buff move or something.
How viable is Heavy Slam? I don't really care for memorizing weights, is it fine if I just replace it with Iron Head and use it without thinking about it?

edit: oh also, i have breeding leftovers for him if anyone wants some, PM
Heavy Slam hits a ton of Pokémon for more damage, but Iron Head is more reliable. I use it with Thunder Wave for para-flinch shenanigans.

Sigmaah

I can't get Aron in Y can I? Someone wanna give me one? I'm gonna breed it next! Would love if someone had a spare 4iv one they don't want!

DaBoss

Not sure of the name of the berry, but it gets back lots of HP, and I can't take it down with one hit. It proceeds to troll me with Aqua jet.

Oh right, forgot about that. It's the Sitrus Berry. I think it heals 30% of HP. I've found that Thunderbolt and Solarbeam can one-shot it.

Has anyone else had any luck actually using their favorites in battle? I don't know that my case is the most fair since a lot of my favorites factor in playstyle in addition to appearance, but I've been having some pretty consistent success on showdown using Avalugg / Chandelure or Volcarona / Haxorus / Malamar / Scizor / Togekiss. For some reason nobody really expects Lum Berry Haxorus during late-game.

That being said, I'd love an offensively-oriented ice-type in the future (gamefweak pls). Greninja is in my top 10 designs in general, too, but I'd have to figure out a spot for him.

I have to say, Malamar has definitely earned its way into my favorites along with Scizor and Togekiss. The design is amazing (especially that fucking smirk), and the typing, unexpectedness and Contrary just elevate it to GOAT status.

Tenck

Oh right, forgot about that. It's the Sitrus Berry. I think it heals 30% of HP. I've found that Thunderbolt and Solarbeam can one-shot it.

Yeah I taught my Gengar Thunderbolt because of Azumarill shenanigans. I'm prepared for it now, but I had to go up against it 5 times. Worst thing ever.

Wazzy

Banned
My Vaporeon, Charizard and Dragonite have been pretty good in the 3v3's so far. Generally I just sweep with megazard X.

I would like to start using Jolteon and Espeon more. I'll need to work on the first and an add an Umbreon to switch things up.

Has anyone else had any luck actually using their favorites in battle? I don't know that my case is the most fair since a lot of my favorites factor in playstyle in addition to appearance, but I've been having some pretty consistent success on showdown using Avalugg / Chandelure or Volcarona / Haxorus / Malamar / Scizor / Togekiss. For some reason nobody really expects Lum Berry Haxorus during late-game.

That being said, I'd love an offensively-oriented ice-type in the future (gamefweak pls). Greninja is in my top 10 designs in general, too, but I'd have to figure out a spot for him.

I have to say, Malamar has definitely earned its way into my favorites along with Scizor and Togekiss. The design is amazing (especially that fucking smirk), and the typing, unexpectedness and Contrary just elevate it to GOAT status.

I definitely plan on raising a Primeape and Muk at some opint to see how they'd do between the Battle Maison and online.

MicH

My Vaporeon, Charizard and Dragonite have been pretty good in the 3v3's so far. Generally I just sweep with megazard X.

I would like to start using Jolteon and Espeon more. I'll need to work on the first and an add an Umbreon to switch things up.
I hate your Vaporeon :p

I rarely use mine even though I kinda like his role. I use a Hydration Vaporeon with Leftovers as a held item, Rest, Scald, Toxic and Rain Dance

Anyone have a female Magikarp/Gyarados with 31 IVs in Defense and Speed? I could sure use it.

One of my friends has a gyrados safari, so its possible I could randomly catch one. However, i will not have time to go hunting for several days. Pm me during this upcoming weekend if you still need one.

I won a couple of local tournaments with Scrafty during Gen V, and I've been enjoying a lot of success using Togekiss, one of my favourite Pokémon ever, in the Battle Spot this gen.

Scrafty's always interested me but I could never really get it working right on my team. Malamar pretty much filled that role this gen. Togekiss is pretty much the best Pokemon ever and the Fairy retyping made it even more amazingly broken. Not to mention Assault Vest.

Mega Togekiss would need its own tier.

Unrelated: does anyone know of a "type chart generator" along the lines of one of the Poketch Apps from DPPt? That is, I'm trying to find something I can use to get a cut and dry list of weaknesses / resistances for any typing, even ones that don't exist yet.

upandaway

Heavy Slam hits a ton of Pokémon for more damage, but Iron Head is more reliable. I use it with Thunder Wave for para-flinch shenanigans.
Hmm guess I'll try Heavy Slam out then. Not much use for paraflinch in the maison.

I can't get Aron in Y can I? Someone wanna give me one? I'm gonna breed it next! Would love if someone had a spare 4iv one they don't want!
Look a few posts up! Just PM me

Wazzy

Banned
I hate your Vaporeon :p

I rarely use mine even though I kinda like his role. I use a Hydration Vaporeon with Leftovers as a held item, Rest, Scald, Toxic and Rain Dance

You mean you don't like him stalling while poison strengthens, protecting and healing? :D

Mine's also Hydration and item is Leftovers. I found it's more useful that way since I want to avoid getting poisioned/burned when I'm stalling. Thing is, I need to find a better way to setup rain dance since I gave it to Dragonite and he's not always fast enough. I don't really have thise kind of trouble in singles but doubles it's a little harder.

I've got a Dragonite question: Is the recommended hold berry now Roseli Berry? It was Lum before but I'm finding Fairy's more of a threat than status conditions.

Neiteio

Well, I use Carbink in 75% of my battles. I kind of like Carbink. ;)

Seriously, though, Carbink is amazing -- one of three MVPs who carried over into my new team. Some people see the value of spending a turn Swords Dancing, even though it only benefits that Pokémon until they switch out...... yet they can't see the value of setting up defenses that sharply reduce damage to the entire team, and laying down rocks that instantly remove half the max HP of Pokémon 4X weak to them. I've seen sweeper teams dissolve before Carbink's fortifications, even the occasional ones that have the means to get through. Most people don't calculate their damage output with consideration for the enemy who can cut it in half. Of course, you have to know how to use him -- when it's safe for him to be in the lead, and when it's better to roll him out mid-battle. And you have to avoid certain moves entirely -- not damaging moves, but disabling ones.

Kangaskhan was the first Mega Evolution I raised, but it was before I understood IVs, resulting in a weak specimen. Then I raised a perfect Mega Mawile and Mega Blaziken, which were both great, although too fragile for my tastes, hence one reason Carbink is so useful for support. But now I'm back to Kangaskhan -- Adamant and Scrappy with perfect IVs. She's such a beast that she borders on broken. She's mainly for the merciless Japanese players (who also don't hesitate to use her, resulting in many a mirror match).

I'm glad Mega Kangaskhan is so good, because I've loved Kangaskhan ever since the beach level of Pokémon Snap, and seeing the infant now a kindergartener, without any changes to the mother's perfect design, is nostalgia done right. Of course, Parental Bond is incredible with its 50% BP follow-up hit, sub/sash-breaker and 2x boost on Power-Up Punch.

I love the design of Noivern but hesitated to raise one due to its apparent fragility. Ultimately, I went ahead and bred a perfect Timid Infiltrator with six IVs (31/31/31/31/31/31). GOOD DECISION. It's great backup in many situations. I'm constantly tweaking its array of tricks.

Greninja was love at first sight, and Protean Greninja is incredibly resilient with Assault Vest under Light Screen. His ability to change types means he has many OHKO moves for a number of common OU Pokémon. He, along with Noivern and Carbink, are three enduring favorites.

My team is always changing, but I really do love all of the Pokémon I use. :)

Greninja was love at first sight, and Protean Greninja is incredibly resilient with Assault Vest under Light Screen. His ability to change types means he has many OHKO moves for a number of common OU Pokémon. He, along with Noivern and Carbink, are three enduring favorites.

My team is always changing, but I really do love all of the Pokémon I use. :)

Greninja is great, but I think I actually have fun killing it more than I do using it. There's something really great (and unexpected) about Greninja scoring a kill with an Ice move and then switching in to either Scizor or Togekiss and outspeeding it with Bullet Punch or tanking a hit as Togekiss and retaliating with Heat Wave. A lot of people don't realize that the typing change affects your type defenses as much as it does offenses - and while Ice is a great offensive form of coverage, it makes Greninja even more vulnerable thanks to its stats.

Scrafty's always interested me but I could never really get it working right on my team.

I run Moxie with Dragon Dance, Ice Punch, Drain Punch and Crunch. I usually switch into a Psychic move or something I know I can tank, Dance once in order to get some momentum going, and then coast along with Moxie while healing off any damage accures with Drain Punch. It's worked really well in the past, and carried me through every tournament in the PWT as well as the aforementioned two local tournies.

I can't even imagine how terrifying the little guy would be if GameFreak would man up and just give him Sucker Punch...

I run Moxie with Dragon Dance, Ice Punch, Drain Punch and Crunch. I usually switch into a Psychic move or something I know I can tank, Dance once in order to get some momentum going, and then coast along with Moxie while healing off any damage accures with Drain Punch. It's worked really well in the past, and carried me through every tournament in the PWT as well as the aforementioned two local tournies.

I can't even imagine how terrifying the little guy would be if GameFreak would man up and just give him Sucker Punch...

Wait, what the hell? The OG East Side Unova Balla Pokemon doesn't learn Sucker Punch?

Where's the logic in that?

Neiteio

Greninja is great, but I think I actually have fun killing it more than I do using it. There's something really great (and unexpected) about Greninja scoring a kill with an Ice move and then switching in to either Scizor or Togekiss and outspeeding it with Bullet Punch or tanking a hit as Togekiss and retaliating with Heat Wave. A lot of people don't realize that the typing change affects your type defenses as much as it does offenses - and while Ice is a great offensive form of coverage, it makes Greninja even more vulnerable thanks to its stats.
You're absolutely right that Greninja players need to factor in their new vulnerabilities when they change types via Protean. For example, when I'm facing Gyarados, if I'm already Grass or Ice I sometimes switch back to Water with Surf to "scout" and see if this Gyarados has any Ice- or Fire-type moves. I then react accordingly. But sometimes I predict wrong. When I faced Busaiku, I thought that he'd think I'd predict him using Flamethrower with Goodra if I used Ice Beam, so I went ahead and used Ice Beam, but nope, he still used Flamethrower, lol.

I love the design of Noivern but hesitated to raise one due to its apparent fragility. Ultimately, I went ahead and bred a perfect Timid Infiltrator with six IVs (31/31/31/31/31/31). GOOD DECISION. It's great backup in many situations. I'm constantly tweaking its array of tricks.

How did you spent EVs on it? I'm still wondering. I mean 252 SpAtk/252 Speed is the first thing that comes to mind, but I read about a utility set with a 252 HP/252 Speed split with Superfang, Taunt, U-Turn and one whatever attack move. I found this built pretty interesting. But I also would like to run Roost and Whirlwind on it... Noivern is cool.

Neiteio

How did you spent EVs on it? I'm still wondering. I mean 252 SpAtk/252 Speed is the first thing that comes to mind, but I read about a utility set with a 252 HP/252 Speed split with Superfang, Taunt, U-Turn and one whatever attack move. I found this built pretty interesting. But I also would like to run Roost and Whirlwind on it... Noivern is cool.
I run 252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed on Timid Interceptor Noivern. I out-speed and one-shot most dragons, which is nice. He also tricks many Earthquakes intended for Carbink -- Battle Spot players so often take the bait. He was my taunter for a while, but now I've relinquished taunting duties to Prankster Sableye (with Recover and Will-O-Wisp, nice!), and I'm trying out Whirlwind to scout enemies, shuffle unfavorable match-ups and rack up Stealth Rock damage from Carbink. He's more resilient than he seems -- I've hung on with one HP in many scenarios, lol.

Aggrotek

IT HAS HAPPENED

tc6kONl.jpg

KING OF THE SHINYSAURS!

Does anyone else think there should be a way for Pokemon in singles to get rid of Leech Seed without switching? Not a "consistent" method, mind you, but maybe using a Fire attack could get rid of them the way it'll defrost you. Hell, I'm pretty sure that's happened in the anime more than once.

Or even better, maybe all "dance" moves could get rid of them because your Pokemon is busy twirling around and shakes them off. Haxorus and Scizor would dance on Trevenant's grave.

The one of the kid it used to be anyway.

IT HAS HAPPENED

KING OF THE SHINYSAURS!

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDD

Aggrotek

Neiteio

He has perfect Attack and Defense, 29 Hp, 17 SpDef and SpAtk, and 2 Speed. Lol So not really that competitive. But he will manage for now. I intend on hunting another down the road.
Sounds good to me! Give him an Assault Vest and set him up under screens and Trick Room with Carbink. Then sweep with style.

Does anyone else think there should be a way for Pokemon in singles to get rid of Leech Seed without switching? Not a "consistent" method, mind you, but maybe using a Fire attack could get rid of them the way it'll defrost you. Hell, I'm pretty sure that's happened in the anime more than once.

Or even better, maybe all "dance" moves could get rid of them because your Pokemon is busy twirling around and shakes them off. Haxorus and Scizor would dance on Trevenant's grave.

The one of the kid it used to be anyway.

Rapid Spin does I believe but then again, can't really do that against a Trevenant. :p

Do you guys mind if I post a fanwank-y fakemon concept in a bit? I've had the idea for ages but any hope of it becoming "realized" has been lost since Greninja's pretty much usurped it in concept in both gameplay and aesthetic terms.

Top Bottom