• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

MicH

I would love that! I won't be needing it until after Pokébank comes out though. (I'll take you up on that female Luxury Ball Raltz as well. =P)
Do you want one of those now? Because I got loads.

Just checked Ralts' egg group. HOLY I can use it to get a shiny Gastly. YES PLEASE

Also got a 4 IV JPN Magikarp which I will use to try and breed a shiny Tyrunt. Maybe. Depends how tired I am of doing this then

Do you want one of those now? Because I got loads.

Just checked Ralts' egg group. HOLY I can use it to get a shiny Gastly. YES PLEASE

Also got a 4 IV JPN Magikarp which I will use to try and breed a shiny Tyrunt. Maybe. Depends how tired I am of doing this then
Actually, scratch that. I totally forgot why I needed to wait until Pokébank. Lol. I'll need to grab a female who knows Hyper Voice, so I won't need that one from you. Thanks anyway!

An equally broken fakemon ability could be Tangled Web -- upon entering the battlefield, a Sticky Web is immediately deployed.

It could be for a spider legendary banned to ubers, a.k.a. It's OK To Be Broken. :p

Speaking of legendary fakemon, I thought up a "walking rainforest" Pokemon once, like Venusaur on steroids. All about stall tactics and support, weathering attacks with high defenses and HP and healing its teammates. :O

It would be a Grass-type and have a new ability, Evergreen, which makes it immune to Ice-type attacks. :O

Of course, this would exist in a Gen VII where the Ice-type gains many new resists and advantages.

Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat, so it's kind of what you described. Actually, Venusaur on steroids is literally what you described and what Mega Venusaur is. :lol

As far as types go, I think Ice is long overdue a spot check, and while it'd make shit even more complicated, I think they should probably add an additional type, hopefully Sound, to balance Ice out even further. You could also work out some additional kinks, for example giving Electric and Grass an additional resistance (electric users being able to tune out frequencies, plants grow better with music, etc.), giving Ground and Water an extra weakness (sound travels fine through water and you can put your ear to the ground to hear things better) - maybe even have Sound resist Steel due to some "telecommunications" excuse.

As for why Ice would be strong against sound, that's harder to bullshit. Uhhh... avalanches?

EDIT: This is pushing it even further, but if any future generation actually performs a fabled "minimalist soft reboot" and actually retcons some of the additional fluff (maybe not Pokemon, per se, but things like moves and extraneous abilities), I would love to have Rock and Ground merged into a more universal Earth category and introduce Sound to maintain the even number of types. Earth could also remain weak to ice and eliminate a key weakness to Ice itself, and if you want to get even more specific, Flying would lose a weakness thanks to Rock being scrapped - meaning Ice would be all the more vital as a type.

Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat, so it's kind of what you described. Actually, Venusaur on steroids is literally what you described and what Mega Venusaur is. :lol

As far as types go, I think Ice is long overdue a spot check, and while it'd make shit even more complicated, I think they should probably add an additional type, hopefully Sound, to balance Ice out even further. You could also work out some additional kinks, for example giving Electric and Grass an additional resistance (electric users being able to tune out frequencies, plants grow better with music, etc.), giving Ground and Water an extra weakness (sound travels fine through water and you can put your ear to the ground to hear things better) - maybe even have Sound resist Steel due to some "telecommunications" excuse.

As for why Ice would be strong against sound, that's harder to bullshit. Uhhh... avalanches?
Electric doesn't need another resist. It only has one weakness as it is. Ice definitely needs a defensive buff though!

Sound makes sense as an attack type, but not so much as a defensive type or a type that comprises a creature's entire being unless it's literally made of sound, which would be weird.

Ice should be super-effective against Water, seeing as it freezes water. Likewise, Ice should be able to resist Water.

Agreed. Steel should also be weak to Electric, IMO.

Electric doesn't need another resist. It only has one weakness as it is. Ice definitely needs a defensive buff though!

Wait, Sound could be SE against electric! Because it runs on electromagnetic frequencies or some bullshit!

Ice should be super-effective against Water, seeing as it freezes water. Likewise, Ice should be able to resist Water.

I hear this plenty in these threads, but I honestly have never understood the complaint. I think water resisting ice makes perfect sense, actually; ice would chill and condense water, turning it into a bulkier slurry, thereby establishing further resistance.

That being said, Freeze Dry is a very welcome move and I look forward to more like it in the future - maybe a pollution-based Poison move that's super-effective against Water. rip, azumarill.

Dammit, now I really want to make a soft reboot type consolidation chart.

Okay, why is a Megakangaskhan without boosts and no choice items outspeeding my Crobat?

Mega Kanga commonly runs Fake Out and Sucker Punch, both of which are priority moves. I'd wager that it probably has the power to one-shot (or two-shot thanks to its ability) Crobat with either, depending on stats.

Actually, scratch that. I totally forgot why I needed to wait until Pokébank. Lol. I'll need to grab a female who knows Hyper Voice, so I won't need that one from you. Thanks anyway!
How are you going to pass on Hyper Voice if it isn't an Egg Move?
I thought you could only pass on Egg Moves and TMs.

Neiteio

I want an Electric/Poison-type Pokemon that is essentially a leaking battery -- a cracked shell where the crack forms the "mouth" and battery acid spills out in a pool of poisonous, supercharged tendrils it can control. :O

Also, a Water/Fire "lava lamp" fish -- football-shaped with a clear dome for the head, in which globs of lava it collects from thermal vents are stored!

Sigmaah

Got that 5iv Aron and it has rock head!!! Let's go! What to breed next?!? Guys, if y'all have any spare 4iv Pokemon they don't want, SEND THEM MY WAY!

MicH

I told you to believe in the eggs!
You were so right. MAN this makes up for all the other NON-shinies I've gotten. BEST first shiny ever!

Sorry :(

Whoa Trace is an awesome ability!
So happy it got Trace instead of Synchronize.

His IVs are.. could be better: 31/31/31/31/31/x

Timid nature with Trace. Need to check his Speed IV, but I feel like it's.. low.
49TG4lMl.jpg

You were so right. MAN this makes up for all the other NON-shinies I've gotten. BEST first shiny ever!

So happy it got Trace instead of Synchronize.

His IVs are.. could be better: 31/31/31/31/31/x

Timid nature with Trace. Need to check his Speed IV, but I feel like it's.. low.
49TG4lMl.jpg
If only his Attack and Speed switched IVs.
You could always get Tailwind support

Hey, everyone else is going to do it; nobody will care or even know/remember.
If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you? =P

I don't think I can do it. It would always bug me whenever I used it, and I wouldn't have the happiness of getting it myself. Plus... it's cheating. Lol.

Sound makes sense as an attack type, but not so much as a defensive type or a type that comprises a creature's entire being unless it's literally made of sound, which would be weird.

I kind of get what you're saying, but the same could be said with a few (but not many) other types - and it'd just be an expanded concept of a more "primordial" force, which several types do anyway. Dark's Japanese name is Evil. Dark-types aren't made of evil. Likewise, while they're few and far between, other Pokemon aren't physically rooted in their elements; Delphox doesn't exhibit fire as a natural part of its body, and Lapras isn't made of ice. I think the closest example we currently have is Flying. Most of the Pokemon that use it as a typing liken it more to the "Bird-type," which could have actually been a thing if MissingNo's Bird / Bird typing is any indication. The closest thing we have to something being "made of flying" is the fact that we got a wind djinn that's pure Flying in Gen V. Types as a whole tend to be based on what properties the Pokemon most naturally exhibit, so something like Exploud or Chatot (who are known for their very bombastic styles) would be shoe-ins for Sound-types.

And while it would be iffy, Sound has potential as far as defensive excuses go; to be resistant or immune to sound, you'd have to dampen, muffle or otherwise mitigate sound. For example, Ice could resist Sound because it could function as soundproof glass, while at the same time I could see a Freeze Dry-styled Sound move where a Pokemon screams so loud that it breaks glass being created that would be strong against Ice.

On the flipside, Flying might resist Sound and even be super-effective against it because noises can be more easily heard on the wind, meaning Flying-types could have a sensory advantage over Sound-types. Maybe even Dark could resist Sound; Dark-types, relying on pragmatism, would be cunning enough to have sharp hearing and not work their way through things by "talking them out," hence they wouldn't have to deal with its repercussions. Sound could be strong against Steel due to structural integrity issues, while Electric-types could have a weakness to Sound as Sound relies on a variety of concepts (such as air pressure or, more importantly to Electric-types, frequency and amplitude) that are critical to electricity functioning as a medium.

I don't see any types outright having an immunity to Sound, but we already have the ability Soundproof, so yeah. It'd pretty much become another Levitate.

Now I also want to see a Sound-type equivalent to Outrage based on an extended opera movement. If you want to push the envelope with sound as a concept, you could also tie it in to music in general, allowing something like Kricketune to become Bug / Sound.

Scrafty gets some new Sound moves; Beatbox, which raises its Speed lowers the foe's Attack; and Breakbeat, which is a powerful physical Sound move that functions as a slightly weaker, doubly-hitting Brick Break.

I want an Electric/Poison-type Pokemon that is essentially a leaking battery -- a cracked shell where the crack forms the "mouth" and battery acid spills out in a pool of poisonous, supercharged tendrils it can control. :O

Also, a Water/Fire "lava lamp" fish -- football-shaped with a clear dome for the head, in which globs of lava it collects from thermal vents are stored!

I had an idea for an Electric / Poison pseudolegendary extensively rooted in Gen I's design philosophy that would be inspired by Japanese demons as well as Japanese theatre performers. It'd look humanoid but the typing would not only come from implied gremlin or storm-demon roots, but also the nature of theatrical tragedies (think sharing poison in Romeo and Juliet) and the more subdued, realistic ninja of history (who would come in disguised as carpenters or chefs and beat dudes to death with hammers or poison the food they "prepared").

And while it's not the right typing, Smogon invented Mollux, a Fire / Poison lava lamp slug with Dry Skin.

frontnormal-mmollux.png

Top Bottom