• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think Sound-type is pretty much dead in the water now, considering they introduced a new type in Fairy, this would've been the best time to introduce it...

The fact they made an obvious Sound-type candidate in Noivern, and even differentiated the sound-based attacks by making them immune to barrier moves, makes it clear, imo, they're happy with it just being a sub-type.

Honestly though I think the idea of sub-types, like Sound, Fist, Ball/Bombs, is pretty cool and something I'd like to see expanded.

As for the Ice-type, I think making it resistant to Ground and Dragon, and giving it neutral damage from Steel, would be good enough.

v1n1c1uS

Neo Member
Cheers from Brazil.

I finished the Elite 4 + Champion yestarday.

Now I will catch the legendaries and enetr the breeding world :p

This is my FC if anyone want to add: 1762-4014-1491.

Please PM ME so I can add you

Watch Da Birdie

I don't see any types outright having an immunity to Sound, but we already have the ability Soundproof, so yeah. It'd pretty much become another Levitate.

I actually think Sound Pokemon being immune to Sound-type attacks would be nifty...there's already precedent with it for the Whismur line, who could be given a new, more useful Ability.

Can it learn gravity?

This took me a second. 10 / 10 would read again

too bad halogaf isn't here to see it, minus kittens giggling in his lurkery

Possible retroactive sound types: Whismur line, Chatot, Meloetta, Noivern...

Here's a cool fakemon idea: a grass/sound type based on a mandragora/mandrake. Give it the Aftermath ability or something.

Now we're talking!

I think Sound-type is pretty much dead in the water now, considering they introduced a new type in Fairy, this would've been the best time to introduce it...

The fact they made an obvious Sound-type candidate in Noivern, and even differentiated the sound-based attacks by making them immune to barrier moves, makes it clear, imo, they're happy with it just being a sub-type.

Honestly though I think the idea of sub-types, like Sound, Fist, Ball/Bombs, is pretty cool and something I'd like to see expanded.

As for the Ice-type, I think making it resistant to Ground and Dragon, and giving it neutral damage from Steel, would be good enough.

You're probably right, but I'm kind of impressed that Sound of all things has made its way into a fully-fledged "pseudotype" and nothing else has. The only things I can think of with similar properties are a Wind-type (based on all the air moves in Flying's arsenal), and to a much lesser extent light or Solar-type moves (which are almost completely rooted in either Electric or Grass typings; Solarbeam, Charge Beam, etc.)

I'll probably try and whip-up a what-if type chart, regardless.

One more idea for a move so ScraftyDevil can destroy the Gen VII metagame:

Con Yay
Sound / Physical
Power: 40 / Accuracy: 95 / PP: 25
The user gets in a last-minute insult that lowers the foe's Defense and always strikes first. If the foe is switching out, the power doubles and their Defense lowers upon return.

HkzUuAf.jpg

Another (bad) idea: in addition to Toxic being heavy poisoning, I wonder if we'll ever get any other "heavy statuses." Maybe Deep Sleep, which raises defenses but keeps you asleep for longer (thanks to the current Sleep nerf).

Maybe Sound-type moves could immediately wake up stuff the way Fire nullifies Frozen status effects.

Do we have any Pokemon that are confirmed deaf? Sliggoo is blind (it physically lacks eyes) and so is Roggenrola (the frontal concave thing it has is an ear, meaning the Gigalith line could probably become Rock / Sound, believe it or not) and I know there are a few similar situations with sight, but off the top of my head I can't think of any Pokemon that are consistently born without hearing.

In-universe, I guess that probably makes sense because being unable to hear your trainer's commands would equal immediate death.

Watch Da Birdie

Ice type is so bad I beat the Ice gym with a team completely weak to ice. Poor ice type.

I actually had the hardest time with Wulfric, and I was using Talonflame, Honedge, and Barbaracle. I forgot exactly what happened, but he was harder than I thought.

But Ice Pokemon are so mistreated, the only positive thing for them is because they have to include Ice Rock for Glaceon in every game, we're actually probably gonna see more ice areas where they can thrive.

By the way, how good would an Ice/Fairy Pokemon be? I had the idea for one, basically a christmas-ornament turns into a typical ice tinker bell-like fairy with great speed and sp. atk, but otherwise fragile, how would that work type-wise?

I actually had the hardest time with Wulfric, and I was using Talonflame, Honedge, and Barbaracle. I forgot exactly what happened, but he was harder than I thought.

But Ice Pokemon are so mistreated, the only positive thing for them is because they have to include Ice Rock for Glaceon in every game, we're actually probably gonna see more ice areas where they can thrive.

By the way, how good would an Ice/Fairy Pokemon be? I had the idea for one, basically a christmas-ornament turns into a typical ice tinker bell-like fairy with great speed and sp. atk, but otherwise fragile, how would that work type-wise?

Probably because they are physical based and Avalugg is a physical tank

That's an awesome idea! I was thinking about Ice / Fairy too but had no idea how to implement it. Statistically speaking, it doesn't actually help much; it's a decent offensive typing but the defenses are pretty similar across the board. It turns Fighting into neutral damage and adds an Ice resistance, but results in a x4 weakness to Steel, and still retains weaknesses to Rock, Fire, and Poison. Offensively the combination is doubly effective against Dragon and provides strengths over Flying, Dark, Grass, and Ground, off the top of my head.

It would need a lot going for it to work effectively as a type.

EDIT: It would take some heavy oversight to make sure it didn't end up being offensive, but what about a Pokemon rooted in Deaf culture? Think about it. Since Fairies rely on the whole magic thing, you could have a Fairy / Sound dude that doesn't have a sense of sound, instead relying on lip-reading and telepathy to understand it's trainer's commands; maybe for additional lore, it could be an empath. As for its battle style, it would use Sign Language-esque movements to alchemize hard-hitting special attacks.

http://pokemondb.net/type/dual

Click 'show all types' near the top. Ice/fairy would have:

three 2x weakness
one 4x weakness
three 0.5x resistance
one immunity

MicH

Finished EV training my shiny Ralts. Also checked his IVs. 15 in Speed. Eeek. Oh well, it could be worse, I suppose. Ironic that I actually have a perfect, female Trace Ralts set aside.

upandaway

Every time I see ya'll cry about Ice types, I feel weird. Poison gets it so much worse and no one talks like that about it.

Acids can eat through steel too, the hell is steel immune for :(

Watch Da Birdie

Another (bad) idea: in addition to Toxic being heavy poisoning, I wonder if we'll ever get any other "heavy statuses." Maybe Deep Sleep, which raises defenses but keeps you asleep for longer (thanks to the current Sleep nerf).

Maybe Sound-type moves could immediately wake up stuff the way Fire nullifies Frozen status effects.

Do we have any Pokemon that are confirmed deaf? Sliggoo is blind (it physically lacks eyes) and so is Roggenrola (the frontal concave thing it has is an ear, meaning the Gigalith line could probably become Rock / Sound, believe it or not) and I know there are a few similar situations with sight, but off the top of my head I can't think of any Pokemon that are consistently born without hearing.

In-universe, I guess that probably makes sense because being unable to hear your trainer's commands would equal immediate death.

Sound-type moves waking up normal Sleep would be a great idea honestly, would give them an interesting use.

I actually had an idea for a new status effect called Petrification, basically like Frozen, which it itself could receive an upgrade. Basically like this...

* Petrified Pokemon receive a defensive boost while petrified, Frozen Pokemon a special defensive boost. Upon returning to normal, their defense/special defense drops to normal, even canceling out changes happening before the status effect.
* Petrified/Frozen Ghost Pokemon can be hit by Fighting and Normal attacks because they are solid, and Flying/Levitating Pokemon are able to be hit by Ground, because they can't fly.
* Fighting attacks releases Pokemon from Petrification, but factors in the defensive drop to normal; same thing happens with Fire on Frozen Pokemon.
* Rock, Ground, Steel, and Limber Pokemon can't be petrified.

Every time I see ya'll cry about Ice types, I feel weird. Poison gets it so much worse and no one talks like that about it.

I always interpreted it as most of the Steel-types not just being rooted in metals, but being stainless steel.

That being said, we definitely need some Poison attacks that can deliberately damage Steel; maybe even an Ability called 'Potency' or 'Caustic' that makes all Poison-attacks do neutral damage to Steels, while corrosive / acid-based ones are super-effective.

Acid Armor should get a buff that makes the user immune to Steel moves, even if the original name is "Liquefy."

Sound-type moves waking up normal Sleep would be a great idea honestly, would give them an interesting use.

I actually had an idea for a new status effect called Petrification, basically like Frozen, which it itself could receive an upgrade. Basically like this...

* Petrified Pokemon receive a defensive boost while petrified, Frozen Pokemon a special defensive boost. Upon returning to normal, their defense/special defense drops to normal, even canceling out changes happening before the status effect.
* Petrified/Frozen Ghost Pokemon can be hit by Fighting and Normal attacks because they are solid, and Flying/Levitating Pokemon are able to be hit by Ground, because they can't fly.
* Fighting attacks releases Pokemon from Petrification, but factors in the defensive drop to normal; same thing happens with Fire on Frozen Pokemon.
* Rock, Ground, Steel, and Limber Pokemon can't be petrified.

That's a pretty interesting idea, but it strikes me as very ghastly and I've always interpreted your run-of-the-mill Ghost effect as "Cursed," the way Leech Seed functions as a Grass semi-status or why Toxic Spikes poison foes rather than possessing a new effect. I think it'd work if the Frozen status got the buffs you listed (as well as dropping certain immunities, like Ghost's Fighting / Normal or Flying's Ground) and Petrified got slightly reworked into a Deep Sleep concept with similar properties.

Tiamant

One cheesy japanese player trying to use Belly Drum Azumarril, yeah, good luck with that:

P69G-WWWW-WWW2-Q6GX

I always forget that marrill is now a fairy, my mistake for going BB instead of cross poison. He also had a lvl 1 Aron in the battle preview.

Ooh, while we're posting ideas for Fakemon, here are some I made up that I'd like some opinions on:

Breezard (Grass)

Resembles a small lizard with a cloud-like head that has a small sprout at the top (pretty much the most adorable thing you've ever seen). Learns Gust early on and has an access to a plethora of Flying- and Grass-type attacks. Evolves at Level 16 into:

Hurriguana (Grass/Flying)

A medium-sized bipedal lizard that stands in a hunched-over position similar to Druddigan. Has a propeller on the tip of its tail that allows it to hover short heights off of the ground or use it as a razor to cut opponents. Has a rather mean-looking face with a throat sack that can inflate with helium. Evolves at Level 38 into:

Tornadile (Grass/Flying)

A large (more than 6-foot-tall) humanoid reptile with a dragon-like head and a thin build. Has two whip-like tails that can rotate around its waist, giving his lower half the illusion of constantly being surrounded by a tornado.

Base stats: 65/90/80/125/70/110 (Total: 530)

Signature move: Tornado (Grass-type, Special, 100/90). Has a chance to raise the user's Speed

Puplume (Fire)

A small red Pomeranian-like dog with a plume of fire on its head. It spews volcanic ash when upset and warm embers when happy. Learns many Fire and Ground moves. Evolves at Level 18 into:

Spitzfire (Fire/Ground)

A German Spitz-like dog with a small volcano beginning to form on its back. Rather stout, and looks intimidating while remaining adorable. Has black and red fur that glows when it uses a move. Evolves at Level 34 into:

Magmakita (Fire/Ground)

A large dog with a volcano for a torso. Resembles an Akita Inu, but with larger lower fangs and a bigger size overall. Capable of creating volcanic plasma storms around the mouth of its volcano.

Base stats: 105/115/95/65/100/50

Signature move: Plasma Burst (Electric, Physical, 85/100). Has a chance to paralyze.

Beluguard (Water)

A small beluga whale with a shield on its back. Not very strong, but capable of withstanding several hits. Learns many status and stat-effecting moves early on. Evolves at level 14 into:

Narwall (Water/Psychic)

A whale with a sword-like tooth and an armored carapace. Stronger than Beluguard, but still not as powerful as its peers. Evolves at Level 36 into:

Orcane (Water/Psychic)

A purple-and-white Orca whale that protects itself using magical powers. Has a long, robe-like layer of skin on top of thick armor, and has a spike in the shape of a wizard's hat on its head.

Base stats: 140/40/120/90/120/20

Signature move: Barrier Crash (Psychic, Special, 60/95). Raises either the user's Defense or Special Defense

Watch Da Birdie

That's a pretty interesting idea, but it strikes me as very ghastly and I've always interpreted your run-of-the-mill Ghost effect as "Cursed," the way Leech Seed functions as a Grass semi-status or why Toxic Spikes poison foes rather than possessing a new effect. I think it'd work if the Frozen status got the buffs you listed (as well as dropping certain immunities, like Ghost's Fighting / Normal or Flying's Ground) and Petrified got slightly reworked into a Deep Sleep concept with similar properties.

Oh, I mean it's petrification as in "turned to stone" variety...it really wouldn't be based around one type, but I had a few ideas for it.

* A Rock-type move where the Pokemon is submerged in cement.
* A Psychic-type move that's basically a Medusa Eye stare
* A Poison-type move that's like Basilisk Venom.

But a Ghost-type move that petrifies the foe out of horror would be neat too...

Acid Rain Weather.

Hurts Rock, Water, Grass, and Steel Pokemon every turn like Sandstorm. Poison-type Pokemon take no damage from it and base damage of Poison-type moves increase.

And then some other little hidden effects...like Black Sludge restores twice as much HP.

Acid Rain Weather.

Hurts Rock, Water, Grass, and Steel Pokemon every turn like Sandstorm. Poison-type Pokemon take no damage from it and base damage of Poison-type moves increase.

And then some other little hidden effects...like Black Sludge restores twice as much HP.

I'd love Acid Rain, but my main worry would be making sure it didn't approach Gen III / IV levels of broken weather. There'd have to be some significant checks in place to keep it from getting out of hand, imo.

Plus, Gliscor would become even more of an asshole. :lol

EDIT: Ooh, what about a Poison / Fairy-type based on dehydrated astronaut food? Like, Vanilluxe's evil, chain-smoking cousin that nobody ever invites to the reunions.

Watch Da Birdie

I'd love Acid Rain, but my main worry would be making sure it didn't approach Gen III / IV levels of broken weather. There'd have to be some significant checks in place to keep it from getting out of hand, imo.

Plus, Gliscor would become even more of an asshole. :lol

How about it can't stack with the Poisoned status? If a Pokemon is already poisoned they're not hurt by the Acid Rain, and if a Pokemon is poisoned in Acid Rain, likewise the Acid Rain stops hurting them.

Ooh, while we're posting ideas for Fakemon, here are some I made up that I'd like some opinions on:
I'm not sure why Magmakita (A Fire/Ground Pokémon) has an Electric attack as it's signature move. To defeat super effective Water types? And holy crap, Orcane is unkillable! DAT BULK!

I need those Pokémon in my life.

They decided the organic variant of poison was the more definitive one, it seems. Metals don't give a crap about snake venom.

Of course, there should totally be a freeze-dry-esque poison move, Corrosion or something like that, that is super-effective on steel.

Watch Da Birdie

Whelp need BP for Weakness Policy. Let's see how far DisQuake gets me in Super Doubles.

That's what I'm trying to buy for Dragonite.

I was doing great in Super Singles, but I ran into a killer Serperior who Attracted everyone of my Pokemon besides my Gastrodon...and kept Dragon Tailing them preventing their stat boosts.

I finally froze it with Gastrodon and, guess what? IT HAD THE BERRY THAT CURES FREEZE! No way is that an accident, they knew I was packing Ice Beam!

I won that match, but then the next one I was killed by some Pokemon I don't recall.

Wazzy

Banned
When I get home I'm going to work on a Jolteon. I don't think much breeding is required other than for IV's which I've been pretty lazy on checking.

Whoa, just hatched a shiny Rotom!

IVs aren't spectacular, but it's a god damn shiny Rotom!

That looks awesome. Congratz!

I'm not sure why Magmakita (A Fire/Ground Pokémon) has an Electric attack as it's signature move. To defeat super effective Water types? And holy crap, Orcane is unkillable! DAT BULK!

I need those Pokémon in my life.

It's because volcanoes tend to generate a lot of static electricity when they erupt. I just thought it would be a cool nod to its real-life inspiration, similar to how Heliolisk can use Surf because basilisks can run on water ;)

Watch Da Birdie

They decided the organic variant of poison was the more definitive one, it seems. Metals don't give a crap about snake venom.

Funny thing is, when Steel was introduced, it COULD be poisoned...by the only non-Poison poisoning move, Twineedle.

So a living pile of toxic sludge throwing burning acid couldn't, but a bee poke could.

Top Bottom