• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Kawl_USC

What are you guys using for your Malamar? I'm ot quite sure what EVs to give him. So far I'm planning to use:

Malamar @ Leftovers
Contrary
Adamant (EVs ????)
- Superpower
- Night Slash / Foul Play
- Psycho Cut
- Topsy Turvy

What do you guys think?

I would recommend night slash over foul play, if foul play is the move that uses the opponents attack stat instead of yours. With Malamar you are trying to get boosted to hell using super power to be physically bulky and damaging. So you are vulnerable from the special side, if a dark move is your best bet against an opponent (say against an aegislash who is immune to superpower and resist psycho cut) the opponent can switch in to a fast special sweeper take the dark hit using their pitiful attack stat and then ohko through your unboosted special defense. I had a guy lose a match on showdown against me for this exact reason.

Edit: also with base 70 speed I don't see it out speeding much so if probably go bulk so maybe 252 attack/252 HP/4 Def or something.

MicH

I would recommend night slash over foul play, if foul play is the move that uses the opponents attack stat instead of yours. With Malamar you are trying to get boosted to hell using super power to be physically bulky and damaging. So you are vulnerable from the special side, if a dark move is your best bet against an opponent (say against an aegislash who is immune to superpower and resist psycho cut) the opponent can switch in to a fast special sweeper take the dark hit using their pitiful attack stat and then ohko through your unboosted special defense. I had a guy lose a match on showdown against me for this exact reason.
That's a very good point. I'll definitely take Night Slash instead of Foul Play on him then. I'm still not sure about IVs. I'm leaning towards 252 Atk, not sure if I should go 252 Speed or HP as well though

Also I just got a Japanese 4 IV Adamant Beldum off GTS. Time to MM a shiny Beldum :D (after I'm done with the Inkays)

Wazzy

Banned
I'm online toast! What's your in game name again?

Edit: sorry the connection at my work is garbage. Only took me one try before

Scrafty, can I have one of your breeding rejects? I can trade you some high IV noibats, Larvitars, mawiles, or marvel scale dratini. Let me know please!

I only have 2 rejects, but would you mind one with perfect HP, Attack, Defense and Sp. Defense in exchange for a Marvel Scale Dratini? I've always wanted one of those.

Damn, I never checked my Pokémiles and I woke up to this this morning when I finally did:
BY4hsuyCMAAAHUi.png

Damn. That's like ~250 Rare Candies.

I'm online toast! What's your in game name again?

Edit: sorry the connection at my work is garbage. Only took me one try before

I had this happen with someone else earlier as well. I'm not sure if its me although I've been able to battle online just fine.

Holmes

Malamar needs Sucker Punch, yo.

Does anyone have a 3+ IV female Torchic with Speed Boost that they don't mind giving away or lending me? I can't seem to breed any females, and when I do, they're Blaze. I have a lot of goodies I can give.

MicH

Malamar needs Sucker Punch, yo.

Does anyone have a 3+ IV female Torchic with Speed Boost that they don't mind giving away or lending me? I can't seem to breed any females, and when I do, they're Blaze. I have a lot of goodies I can give.
How do you get Sucker Punch on Malamar?

Gah just missed out on Shiny Kingdra on GTS (Seadra w/Scale). Odd request of level 1-10 Thorh so I bred one. Alas the Pokemon you requested has already been traded.

Then I recalled what chain fishing was...I don't care about the Shiny more about the Kingdra part...I suppose I can catch a Seadra myself and put it on GTS wanting a Kingdra so I can get the Pokedex...speaking of Pokedex one Pokemon to go for seen in Central Kalos...Belossum...that was my last one in Houen too...

Giga Drain missed twice in a row on an Octillery. It has 100% accuracy. POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON
Was it Moody by any chance? That ability is so daft...speed was lowered, evasion sharply rises...

Holmes

How do you get Sucker Punch on Malamar?
I tried Diglett -> Ekans -> Skrelp -> Inkay, but Skrelp didn't inherit it from Ekans. :/

Plan B involves teaching it to Chinchou or Huntail (who are in Inkay's egg group) from a move tutor in gen 4, then transferring it over with the PokeBank and breed with it. With Malamar's speed, a STAB priority move would be godly.

MicH

I tried Diglett -> Ekans -> Skrelp -> Inkay, but Skrelp didn't inherit it from Ekans. :/

Plan B involves teaching it to Chinchou or Huntail (who are in Inkay's egg group) from a move tutor in gen 4, then transferring it over with the PokeBank and breed with it. With Malamar's speed, a STAB priority move would be godly.
Yeah, Sucker Punch would be amazing. However, I'm pretty sure you can't pass down tutor moves, so I don't think plan B will work :/

What are you guys using for your Malamar? I'm ot quite sure what EVs to give him. So far I'm planning to use:

Malamar @ Leftovers
Contrary
Adamant (EVs ????)
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut
- Topsy Turvy

What do you guys think?

I'm playing him with
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut
- Rest
- Topsy Turvy

and a berry to wake him up. Split the EVs 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def. Built to last. I don't think you will outspeed much even with max Speed EVs.

Holmes

Yeah, Sucker Punch would be amazing. However, I'm pretty sure you can't pass down tutor moves, so I don't think plan B will work :/
Tutor moves can be passed down if the Pokemon is able to inherit the move through breeding. For example, in gen 5, Larvitar was able to learn Stealth Rock as an egg move from Pokemon who learned it from the move tutor. A male Larvitar knew Stealth from the tutor was also able to pass it down to its offspring. So there is hope!

Doesn't really matter anymore since a dc counts as a loss for the person who dcs and a win for the person still left. May as well be happy since it means the game ends faster AND you made them salty.

I don't believe DCs count as wins. People DC when they don't mind taking a loss but actively want to deprive you of a win. It's basically the most petty thing ever. At least I could understand if they were trying to preserve their win-loss ratio - it's still a bitch move but I'd understand. As things are, they're basically like warthogs shitting on a carcass when they get scared away because they don't want anyone else to enjoy it.

MicH

Tutor moves can be passed down if the Pokemon is able to inherit the move through breeding. For example, in gen 5, Larvitar was able to learn Stealth Rock as an egg move from Pokemon who learned it from the move tutor. A male Larvitar knew Stealth from the tutor was also able to pass it down to its offspring. So there is hope!
But Stealth Rocks is part of Larvitar's egg moves, as he can get it from Tyrunt. If Inkay didn't get it from the Diglet to Ekans line, ten I don't think there's much hope :/ Hopefully I'm wrong though

Malamar @ Leftovers
Contrary
Adamant (EVs ????)
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut
- Topsy Turvy

What do you guys think?

This is the set-up I've been running since day-1. Max EVs in HP and Attack.

Neiteio

Mega Lucario Close Combat antoniobanderas.gif

I don't think there's a move more satisfying to see get a OHKO
Most satisfying OHKOs? Either Sableye one-shotting Garchomp at full HP with Foul Play after it uses Swords Dance (which they tend to do after Sableye neuters their Attack with Prankster Will-O-Wisp), or Carbink one-shotting Talonflame with Power Gem after it takes Stealth Rock damage (and after it shrugs off Brave Bird at a paltry 19 points of damage).

Tirael

Awesome, got one thing I needed! Thanks, StellaX!

I still need someone with Honedge or Houndoom in their Friend Safari to please add me. PM me your FC as well.

Tirael
2552-1098-4530

Anyone who has any breeding leftover Female Protean Froakies or Brave Honedges, please let me know. I don't have much to offer, but please ask and I will do my best. Anything would save me a ton of time.

Just had a fun battle against Matt from Tennessee. I start of with a Glavantula, he sends out Mewtwo. He Psychics me down to my Focus Sash, I Sticky Web his team. I switch out to Greninja, who is unaffected by his next Psychic and kill him next turn with Dark Pulse. Ragequit.

Wazzy

Banned
I don't understand rage quits. I've only seen 1 so far but I really didn't understand why they did it. You're already going to lose, it's going to show up on you W/L stats just finish the fight. They rage quitted on their last pokemon.

Most satisfying OHKOs? Either Sableye one-shotting Garchomp at full HP with Foul Play after it uses Swords Dance (which they tend to do after Sableye neuters their Attack with Prankster Will-O-Wisp), or Carbink one-shotting Talonflame with Power Gem after it takes Stealth Rock damage (and after it shrugs off Brave Bird at a paltry 19 points of damage).

I was more talking about the animation rather taking out annoying Pokemon. I don't know what it is but Close Combat causes HP bars to disappear instantaneously. Combine that with the smoke effect it looks like someone just got barbecued by the power of dat punch

Any victory over Garchomp is worth celebrating though. Fuck that guy

upandaway

It's taking me a few minutes to fully EV train a Pokemon, but then leveling him up takes forever. Who would have thought that would be the time consuming part of getting perfect Pokemon...

Bring me back my Audino please GF.

Neiteio

I was more talking about the animation rather taking out annoying Pokemon. I don't know what it is but Close Combat causes HP bars to disappear instantaneously. Combine that with the smoke effect it looks like someone just got barbecued by the power of dat punch

Sableye's Foul Play against Swords Dance Garchomp looks like a Lucario Close Combat -- instant obliteration, max HP gone in the blink of an eye.

It surprised me, and I'm sure the Garchomp user was even more surprised. I did this against TWO Japanese players last night; each seemed to think it was safe to Swords Dance to try and get back their attack after Will-O-Wisp rendered their moves harmless. Foul Play is the one move where Prankster Sableye won't go first (since it's not a status move), so it works out perfectly: Garchomp uses Swords Dance, and then Sableye nukes him with Foul Play. :)

Also, the camera is low to the ground when you're playing Sableye, so Garchomp looks really tall, like a Pacific Rim kaiju or something. Which makes it all the more satisfying when your gem-eyed gremlin destroys him!

MicH

Yeah, I hate Garchomp, but I love tricking it. Sending out my Jolteon and just as he thinks he can EQ me to death I HP Ice that thing to death. In your face!

spiritfox

It's taking me a few minutes to fully EV train a Pokemon, but then leveling him up takes forever. Who would have thought that would be the time consuming part of getting perfect Pokemon...

The Furisode Girls in the Chateau are pretty good, especially if you use a Writ.

Fury Sense

It finally happened... community thread.

I now feel terrible about the Baton Pass Volbeat I have sent out on occasion. I guess its got that egg move so is neat but bleh. To make it worse I have 15 Mienfoo with 4 IV which also have that Egg move (I thought it was a good idea w/regenerator maybe to pass subs but I find U-turn works better, its egg group can give BP to Eevee and more though)
Psh. Don't think I do it to be nice. Wonder trading takes way longer than releasing. And my boxes were filling up too fast because I keep all my received WTs (no regifting!).

Neiteio

Yeah, I hate Garchomp, but I love tricking it. Sending out my Jolteon and just as he thinks he can EQ me to death I HP Ice that thing to death. In your face!
Garchomp and T-Tar are two Pokémon that never give me trouble. I think they're just a bad matchup against my team. Noivern, Greninja and Sableye can outspeed and one-shot Garchomp, for example. I'm sure every team is particularly good against certain OU Pokémon.

In fact, where Garchomp is concerned, I haven't actually seen it pull off moves. (That's not stealth bragging -- again, the matchups just work out nicely.) What sort of sets do Garchomps usually run?

I don't believe DCs count as wins. People DC when they don't mind taking a loss but actively want to deprive you of a win. It's basically the most petty thing ever. At least I could understand if they were trying to preserve their win-loss ratio - it's still a bitch move but I'd understand. As things are, they're basically like warthogs shitting on a carcass when they get scared away because they don't want anyone else to enjoy it.

just wait until some ladder shenanigans where someone deliberately holds the #2 guy from passing up #1 at the last minute by stalling and DCing

edit: oh community now? no wonder why only one page went by

NEO0MJ

Lost an online match due to two stupid mistakes, overestimating my Mega-Pinsir's speed and using Draco Meteor against Mega-Gravedior. I completely forgot about the part fairy thing. In fact that happens to me a lot with past pokemon, thinking they're still their old type instead of fairy.

Oh, does anyone want a 3/4 IV bergmite? Was about to wonder trade my left overs but maybe someone on gaf will give the poor guy a try.

Fury Sense

There's an Audino in Le Wow triple battles. I prefer triples to rotation because each battle is 2-3 turns instead of 6-10. Put protect & lucky egg on the trainee, earthquake in the middle, levitate on the right, and you can get through most battles without having to take a hit

Also, the camera is low to the ground when you're playing Sableye, so Garchomp looks really tall, like a Pacific Rim kaiju or something. Which makes it all the more satisfying when your gem-eyed gremlin destroys him!

Damn, I need to get me one of these. That sounds amazing lol

Neiteio

Lost an online match due to two stupid mistakes, overestimating my Mega-Pinsir's speed and using Draco Meteor against Mega-Gravedior. I completely forgot about the part fairy thing. In fact that happens to me a lot with past pokemon, thinking they're still their old type instead of fairy.
I switched Carbink in on a Dragonite locked in Outrage once, rendering a multi-turn Dragon move harmless and allowing me to set up on Dragonite before it confused itself, lol. Dat Fairy-type immunity.

Kawl_USC

Garchomp and T-Tar are two Pokémon that never give me trouble. I think they're just a bad matchup against my team. Noivern, Greninja and Sableye can outspeed and one-shot Garchomp, for example. I'm sure every team is particularly good against certain OU Pokémon.

In fact, where Garchomp is concerned, I haven't actually seen it pull off moves. (That's not stealth bragging -- again, the matchups just work out nicely.) What sort of sets do Garchomps usually run?

Typically Outrage, Dragon Claw, EQ, and either like SD or Fire Fang in my experience.

MicH

For Tyranitar my Togekiss usually saves the day. STAB Dazzling Gleam or Aura Sphere is enough to take it out completely. Any fighting move is enough to take him out, I find.

I usually see Garchomps with Swords Dance/Outrage/Earthquake/?

Never used one myself, but if they're paired with a Tyranitar and it has Sand Veil, it can be a big threat

I switched Carbink in on a Dragonite locked in Outrage once, rendering a multi-turn Dragon move harmless and allowing me to set up on Dragonite before it confused itself, lol. Dat Fairy-type immunity.

you do realize if it didn't confuse itself on the turn it did nothing to Carbink, it cancels Outrage and allows it to pick something else right

Kawl_USC

For Tyranitar my Togekiss usually saves the day. STAB Dazzling Gleam or Aura Sphere is enough to take it out completely. Any fighting move is enough to take him out, I find.

I usually see Garchomps with Swords Dance/Outrage/Earthquake/?

Never used one myself, but if they're paired with a Tyranitar and it has Sand Veil, it can be a big threat

With the dominance of Mega-Kangaskhan I'd be hard pressed not to run Rough Skin to take advantage of that residual damage.

Wichu

Maybe an odd question, but does anyone have a direct-feed screenshot of a PSS profile (the screen with stuff like your message and answers to questions)?

Or even anybody with a capture card who can get such a screenshot?

EDIT: Serebii has a .jpg one. I guess that'll have to do for now.

Top Bottom