• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

one_kill

Apart from badges, are there any other rewards? Having rewards should increase participation.

Maybe Battle Maison items? Mega stones? Would be cool if someone can clone a few to give to people who've beaten 9 and then 18 gyms.

Wichu

Apart from badges, are there rewards apart from the badges? Having rewards should increase participation.

Maybe Battle Maison items? Mega stones? Would be cool if someone can clone a few to give to people who've beaten 9 and then 18 gyms.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll definitely contribute some of my rare Pokémon :)

If a rewards system comes into fruition, I'm willing to offer some of my shinies as rewards.

Yeah but I assume not many know that. Also, a lot probably feel hesitant to ask people, especially if they think they can't offer anything of value.

It is a nice idea, like when the in-game gyms give you TMs and stuff.

Speaking of BP items, I haven't checked my PokeBank in forever. Wonder how many she'll have for me.

How does Pokerus work in terms of keeping it and passing it around?

Got a Gloom with it when I was Wonder Trading my Goomys before, and I just want to make sure I don't lose it, if you can lose it that is. It's currently sat in box 3 with a load of Wonder Trade Pokemon.

one_kill

How does Pokerus work in terms of keeping it and passing it around?

Got a Gloom with it when I was Wonder Trading my Goomys before, and I just want to make sure I don't lose it, if you can lose it that is. It's currently sat in box 3 with a load of Wonder Trade Pokemon.
If you want to spread it, bring the Pokerus infected Pokemon into your party. Any adjacent Pokemon will get infected after three or so battles. You don't have to fight the battle, you can just run away from it. It's very easy to spread.

A cured Pokemon will still be affected by Pokerus but can no longer spread it. I think a Pokemon is cured after three or four days with it being out of the PC. If you want to maintain its capacity to spread, just deposit the Pokemon into the PC.

Zing

Banned
Pokemon Y so far for me is an addictingly fun experience, but it certainly isn't hard to put down. There's not really much to grind, and the experience is really streamlined compared to the earlier titles.

I'd say go for it. Crystal version (Gen2) was pretty accessible for me as an 8 year old. We're on Gen6 now, and I can't imagine how easy it would be to get into Pokemon now!

And if she doesn't end up liking it, feel free to try it out for yourself! XD It's an enjoyable game overall.

My problem is that I want to play it immediately, but I'd like it to be new to both my daughter and me, so I am waiting. I found a great deal on a 3DS for her, and will get Pokemon X download code for her. She has so much going on during the school year, I'd hate to just play it one day a week or something, so I'll wait until her school is finished for the summer.

The only other concern I have is that this game requires prior knowledge of the series for story or gameplay purposes. For example, Animal Crossing New Leaf seemed to assume the player had played a previous game and that they would know certain major game play mechanics. I was relatively new to that series and the game just drops you in with little instruction.

If you want to spread it, bring the Pokerus infected Pokemon into your party. Any adjacent Pokemon will get infected after three or so battles. You don't have to fight the battle, you can just run away from it. It's very easy to spread.

A cured Pokemon will still be affected by Pokerus but can no longer spread it. I think a Pokemon is cured after three or four days with it being out of the PC. If you want to maintain its capacity to spread, just deposit the Pokemon into the PC.

Thanks. I'll keep it in the box until I get a shiny then.

The only other concern I have is that this game requires prior knowledge of the series for story or gameplay purposes. For example, Animal Crossing New Leaf seemed to assume the player had played a previous game and that they would know certain major game play mechanics. I was relatively new to that series and the game just drops you in with little instruction.
The game does a good job of easing the player in. Well, to the general gameplay. It does a piss poor job of easing players in to competitive stuff but she's an 8 y/o girl so I don't think she'll give a shit about that. :)

ReiGun

Are there any good alternatives to Hyper Voice for Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon? So far, it looks like most people settle for Hyper Beam, but that cooldown...

Stupid Nintendo not making Hyper Voice a tm or something.

NeoGAF Pokemon League | There are 18 badges in GAF; Gary Oak has 20

This. Definitely this.

My problem is that I want to play it immediately, but I'd like it to be new to both my daughter and me, so I am waiting. I found a great deal on a 3DS for her, and will get Pokemon X download code for her. She has so much going on during the school year, I'd hate to just play it one day a week or something, so I'll wait until her school is finished for the summer.

Waiting is certainly a suitable option, but make sure you can get the promo download before the end of the month when it expires! I am curious how an eight year old can have so much going on that there isn't even time for gaming on the weekends, but eh... I'm sure it's possible. *shrugs* If you're worried about her possibly getting stuck or having trouble with the game, you could always play ahead a little and get to know the game well enough so that you can help.

That said, the game isn't very complicated to the point where prior knowledge is required. It does a good job of introducing the basic gameplay concepts early on, while not being too boring. There is a bit of exploration involved with some of the deeper features like using different pokéballs for better catch rates, or even more complicated things like breeding, and EV training. However, a lot of those things aren't crucial factors to enjoying the game, and can easily be ignored.

As for Animal Crossing, that game's whole premise is very open. Even the past games were very bare-bones when it came to tutorials. It's almost all discovery and trial/error. There's no real story to speak of, and if you really are lost, there are plenty of guides online to give hints about seasonal events, fishes and insects. Other than that, the game is like a giant sandbox for you to play around in.

Aiustis

I want to try battling but I'm pretty sure my team needs some serious work.

Volcarona
Gliscor
Escavalier
Heracross
Scoliopede
Crustle

or

Volcarona
Gliscor
Escavalier
Heracross
Butterfree
Shedinja

Rootbeer

Banned
A good friend of mine who just got X this month and already put over 100 hours into it and had patch 1.2 from the start (brand new 3DS as well) somehow corrupted his save today and lost everything...

Anyone encountered this? Any tips on avoiding it in the future? Paranoid it could happen to me!

Wichu

A good friend of mine who just got X this month and already put over 100 hours into it and had patch 1.2 from the start (brand new 3DS as well) somehow corrupted his save today and lost everything...

Anyone encountered this? Any tips on avoiding it in the future? Paranoid it could happen to me!

Was it a digital copy? Might've been a faulty SD card. There's not really any way around that, other than try and get a high-quality SD card.

For physical games, you can use Datel's PowerSave device to back up your save file. Unfortunately, the 3DS has a system to detect when a digital save file is restored, so it won't help in that case.

Did he start a new save file yet? If he hasn't then tell him not to touch anything for now.

As for how to prevent it...

Physical: Keep your cart clean and in sane climates.
Digital: Use a good SD card, like Sony's. Also, don't fuck with the files unless absolutely necessary.

EDIT: No really, the Sandisk cards are the devil. The majority of their cards are fine but their QA is horrific and if you get one of the shaky cards then you have a high chance of being fucked.

one_kill

I want to try battling but I'm pretty sure my team needs some serious work.

Volcarona
Gliscor
Escavalier
Heracross
Scoliopede
Crustle

or

Volcarona
Gliscor
Escavalier
Heracross
Butterfree
Shedinja
Want to battle? I'll show you what you're weak against :p

v1perz53

Man, wonder trade is designed to make me feel bad. Sending out my 3-4IV breeding rejects, get nothing but flabebe and fletchling. Get annoyed at WT so I send out a luvdisc, get a 5IV adamant speed boost torchic. Doing the same later, run out of breeding rejects so I decide to get rid of a japanese fletchling, get back a shiny Gogoat. Apparently I have to be a jerk to get anything good from WT...

Anyway, I really need to decide on a new team. I got really attached to my BW team but it is time for a change. Though using perish song on a baton pass team only for them not to realize it gets passed too never gets old.

Sleepwalker

New proud owner of pokemon X and a 3ds here :), got it last night after nostalgia attacked, I know how to get around myself and know a bit of competitive play up to ruby/sapphire, then got disconnected from the series.

Any advice on the competitive game of today?

Is there anything I need to know about this game?, trying to speed run my way through the story mode in order to start the grind.

I heard EV training and breeding are far more easier here, anyone who can shed any light on this?

Nice to meet you all guys :)

Muku

Man, wonder trade is designed to make me feel bad. Sending out my 3-4IV breeding rejects, get nothing but flabebe and fletchling. Get annoyed at WT so I send out a luvdisc, get a 5IV adamant speed boost torchic. Doing the same later, run out of breeding rejects so I decide to get rid of a japanese fletchling, get back a shiny Gogoat. Apparently I have to be a jerk to get anything good from WT...

Anyway, I really need to decide on a new team. I got really attached to my BW team but it is time for a change. Though using perish song on a baton pass team only for them not to realize it gets passed too never gets old.

Wow, a shiny off WT? That's awesome. I'm a jerk to WT and still don't get anything. I've really cut down on how much I put out there these days. I'm still breeding but I release 99% of what I don't keep. Tired of having to release level 2 Flechlings, Friend Safari things, and Honedges. At best I have a small handful of things I've gotten off WT. No legendaries or shinies. Though I have thrown some legendaries up there. I think I'm just doomed to never get really anything awesome out of it. Guess as long as there are some folks getting something it's worth it.

Though not even sure how many folks I give out my breeding rejects to even appreciate, or understand, what they got. I have a horrible image that most are just released. If I get a Pokemon with 5IVs (LOL so rare) off WT that is nice I'll toss it back up if I have no need for it in hopes someone else can use. Same for those with nice moves.

WT is a cesspool most times though. It's fun because it's like a grab bag, but that fun wears off when all you get is bleh.

New proud owner of pokemon X and a 3ds here :), got it last night after nostalgia attacked, I know how to get around myself and know a bit of competitive play up to ruby/sapphire, then got disconnected from the series.

Is there anything I need to know about this game?, trying to speed run my way through the story mode in order to start the grind.

I heard EV training and breeding are far more easier here, anyone who can shed any light on this?

Nice to have you aboard! Always awesome to see new folks jump back on, especially after a large break.

IVs are definitely easier now. With a Pokemon holding Destiny Knot, you'll transfer down 5 of your Pokemon (5 between both Pokemon) to the offspring. So if you're working with something that is pretty high at start, it's much easier. Though before I got God Ditto, I didn't mind all that much starting from nothing and working my Pokemon up to 4 and 5IVs. It's definitely quicker though this generation to get the IVs going. And with so many folks having already been into breeding game already, you could probably get someone with a Pokemon you want to breed with one of their rejects and start off pretty quickly.

EV training you can do via normal way of going around and killing things. Though with hordes (plus Pokerus) makes it much quicker. You also have the mini games + punching bags as an alternative.

one_kill

EV training tips here: http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-training-hotspots-x-y/

Breeding is easier if you've got a 6IV Ditto

Zeppeli

Banned
Hi, folks. I'm giving away a Link Between Worlds Club Nintendo code to any new 3DS/2DS owner so you can get a free copy of Pokemon X or Y. Not even doing the e-mail quote thing since that can be taken by a member who just wants the points.

PM me or quote me for a response.

Muku

Hi, folks. I'm giving away a Link Between Worlds Club Nintendo code to any new 3DS/2DS owner so you can get a free copy of Pokemon X or Y. Not even doing the e-mail quote thing since that can be taken by a member who just wants the points.

PM me or quote me for a response.

I don't recall ALBW on the list of available games?

lupinko

CQGlMpD.jpg

Well that was easy.

And damn this book is like a phone book. Lol

Muku

Haha yeah. CoroCoro is large. Glad this months is actually the smaller version rather than larger. Mainly because it's cheaper and less to tote around, haha. Congrats!

Still on hunt for someone with a JP copy for mine. Really wish region locking would just die so I could retire my black 3DS though and use my Charizard LL.

lupinko

I can give this book away to my students or something. That dlc code for Puzzle and Dragons is tempting me to buy the game now. Lol

Anyway I'm going to SR for female Scizor/Gengar/Charizard, gotta get those cherish balls.

I should get a ticket to the movie, so the code is just on the stub/receipt and is distributed via wifi? So it's not at the movie itself? I'm talking about Darkrai.

Muku

I can give this book away to my students or something. That dlc code for Puzzle and Dragons is tempting me to buy the game now. Lol

Anyway I'm going to SR for female Scizor/Gengar/Charizard, gotta get those cherish balls.

I should get a ticket to the movie, so the code is just on the stub/receipt and is distributed via wifi? So it's not at the movie itself? I'm talking about Darkrai.

Haha, yeah. The ads are tempting at times.

It's not at movie itself from my understanding, it'll be on ticket I guess. It'd be like Charizard in this case. Go to setting where you input a code and get it that way. Though if these are region locked unfortunately I can't do much Though if one of us got one and passed it around for clonsies. ;)

lupinko

Haha, yeah. The ads are tempting at times.

It's not at movie itself from my understanding, it'll be on ticket I guess. It'd be like Charizard in this case. Go to setting where you input a code and get it that way. Though if these are region locked unfortunately I can't do much Though if one of us got one and passed it around for clonsies. ;)

Let me get the females and I'll figure out how to clone since I do have two 3ds after all. Gengar is being a bitch now and not showing up as female. Lol

I'm basically paying for this dlc haha, oh well go Darkrai.

Edit: Or after I get around getting my female pokes I can redeem your code for you, unless the game won't allow me to do that twice.

Muku

Let me get the females and I'll figure out how to clone since I do have two 3ds after all. Gengar is being a bitch now and not showing up as female. Lol

I'm basically paying for this dlc haha, oh well go Darkrai.

Edit: Or after I get around getting my female pokes I can redeem your code for you, unless the game won't allow me to do that twice.

Yeah, was willing to jump in but after this incident they're telling me "We don't want yo money." I would buy the ticket for just Darkrai. I wouldn't go to the movie. Full of kids and wouldn't be able to understand it fully, haha.

Cloning can be a pain in the rear. It can really test your patience, since it's all about timing. Will be moments you're hitting them left and right and you feel untouchable. Then you can go an hour without one and want to bash your head in. :( I tend to only do it when I want and drop it when I get even a little frustrated as not to over do it.

I dunno if the game will let you do another one. Think with the Wonder Card it pretty much limits you to the one time? But could be wrong.

JoeM86

Yeah, the Darkrai is the prebook gift.

The movies always have two gifts. One for pre-booking your ticket (purchasing the ticket before July 18th) and one at the movie.

This year, thanks to the wonder of serial codes, you no longer have to take your ticket to a store to get the download. This is good since many places were ridiculously strict about it. If your ticket was folded, they'd reject it. Now, it guarantees you'll be able to get it at home.

The actual movie distribution, given via wireless at the theatre is almost guaranteed to be Diancie :)

Basically, your ticket gets you Darkrai and Diancie. Can't scoff at that

Top Bottom