• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Anustart

Is there an easy way to get rare candy? I'm needing to level up a bunch of pokes but it takes forever, and I accidentally released my poke who had my lucky egg on it.

Muku

No prob chief. Got in then realized after making initial post, after rereading, you might be offering.

Drooling over the stuff in CoroCoro. Dig the Pokemon Trozei 3DS. Was kind of hoping it was a decal though. :( Stupid region lock. Looking at this Darkrai page and tempted to do a pre-purchase of a movie ticket, but going to have to wait until more comes out about it. Need to know if I could even use serial code that comes with it, whether it's locked to JP games and all. If it's doable, I'll probably purchase a ticket to get it. Will await more info on that.

No prob chief. Got in then realized after making initial post, after rereading, you might be offering.

Drooling over the stuff in CoroCoro. Dig the Pokemon Trozei 3DS. Was kind of hoping it was a decal though. :( Stupid region lock. Looking at this Darkrai page and tempted to do a pre-purchase of a movie ticket, but going to have to wait until more comes out about it. Need to know if I could even use serial code that comes with it, whether it's locked to JP games and all. If it's doable, I'll probably purchase a ticket to get it. Will await more info on that.

Darkrai is pretty cool I guess, especially with new moves. I'm all for new berries though. I hope someone here will get one and spread the berry love. I'm ready for new event Pokemon in the states. Where dem
Diancie
deets?

Muku

Darkrai is pretty cool I guess, especially with new moves. I'm all for new berries though. I hope someone here will get one and spread the berry love. I'm ready for new event Pokemon in the states. Where dem
Diancie
deets?

Yeah, new move is really what I'm looking forward to on it. Just want to make sure it's something doable with an English copy of game. Not sure what kind of serial code process kind of crap you'll have to go through, but hoping for best. Ready for new event Pokemon Stateside too. Preferably wifi based ones instead of "going to the store" kind right now.

JoeM86

A Darkrai, eh? Why Darkrai? Ugh. I guess the real question here is, where would you put that special code? Because if I could buy an early ticket and get a Darkrai that isn't someone else's initially, I'd be game for that. Plus get a move on it that it can't get elsewhere would be awesome. Curious how that is going to work. Going to go and see if I can get this months CoroCoro today anyway.

Darkrai won the poll which pit it against Jirachi, Manaphy & Victini as possibilites. Blame the Japanese public.

As for the code, you put it in the Serial Code option of Mystery Gift.

There, half of my new VGC-rules team is bred. Should be able to finish it tomorrow.

I had half of these Pokemon already bred and trained but I'm rebreeding them anyways. Why? I need the right balls damn it.

JoeM86

Speaking of serial codes. I just got me one of these

03262.jpg
03263.jpg

Speaking of serial codes. I just got me one of these

http://www.serebii.net/hidden/03262.jpg[/img] http://www.serebii.net/hidden/03263.jpg[/QUOTE]

Nice. Is this the mega stone distribution detailed earlier? If so, does this give you the named version's mega stone or the opposite? If you chose Charmander in Pokemon X and already received Charizardite X, will this give you another X stone or Charizardite Y instead?

Muku

Would have preferred Manaphy or Jirachi, but meh. Darkrai is cool enough I guess.

Hmm, Joe, serial code into mystery gift? So any region would be able to input it? Never done any that route, so it's new to me. Via a code anyway.

JoeM86

Nice. Is this the mega stone distribution detailed earlier? If so, does this give you the named version's mega stone or the opposite? If you chose Charmander in Pokemon X and already received Charizardite X, will this give you another X stone or Charizardite Y instead?

Yeah it is. I have Japanese Y so got Charizard with Charizardite X

Would have preferred Manaphy or Jirachi, but meh. Darkrai is cool enough I guess.

Hmm, Joe, serial code into mystery gift? So any region would be able to input it? Never done any that route, so it's new to me. Via a code anyway.

No. It's region locked.

Muku

Yeah, just found out trying to use my code on my English game (right before ya posted). Well, what's point? It's a one time use and you have to buy the magazine to even get it. Seems so pointless to be region locked. They've done a great job of releasing the game at the same time and being more open about it. Getting Pokemon from all these languages is cool. But then they just block ya.

Sadly, I don't have a Japanese copy of either. It's only thing blocking me, seeing as I do have a JP 3DS LL. Ah well. Events that are pointless still. Just don't get the OMG LOCKDOWN on all this stuff when you have to buy stuff anyway. Though saves me trouble on movie ticket. Actually glad I forgot about the code in this Corocoro until seeing you post your Charizard. Otherwise I'd have been a bit peeved, haha.

JoeM86

Yeah, just found out trying to use my code on my English game (right before ya posted). Well, what's point? It's a one time use and you have to buy the magazine to even get it. Seems so pointless to be region locked. They've done a great job of releasing the game at the same time and being more open about it. Getting Pokemon from all these languages is cool. But then they just block ya.

Sadly, I don't have a Japanese copy of either. It's only thing blocking me, seeing as I do have a JP 3DS LL. Ah well. Events that are pointless still. Just don't get the OMG LOCKDOWN on all this stuff when you have to buy stuff anyway. Though saves me trouble on movie ticket. Actually glad I forgot about the code in this Corocoro until seeing you post your Charizard. Otherwise I'd have been a bit peeved, haha.

All events are region locked, to be fair.

Muku

All events are region locked, to be fair.

That's what I don't get though. I don't think any should be honestly. If you're in country of where it's going on and get the code or whatever, don't see the problem. But then again I'm so against region lock stuff to begin with. It's just kind of funny that they're open, but when it comes to events not so much. Don't see big deal if someone qualifies and is able to just doesn't play that regions stuff, but meh.

What can I say, I hate region locking. :p

Though, maybe in this instance with my code it just means I have to hunt someone I know down with a JP copy so I can use this code. Haha.

lupinko

I've never really done any EV training before so I'm wondering how that works exactly.

I'm getting ready my 5iV team, I wish they were all shiny oh well maybe with a shiny charm later on. So far I'm planning on:

Lucario - Mega - jolly / justified - ???/Sky Uppercut/Bullet Punch/Blaze Kick
Alakazam - timid / magic guard - Psychic/Knock Off/Thunder Punch/Fire Punch
Arcanine - adamant / intimidate - Morning Sun/Flare Blitz/Extreme Speed/Wild Charge
Rapidash - jolly / flash fire - Double kick/Double-edge/Megahorn/Flare Blitz
Ninetales - timid / drought - Heat wave/solar beam/toxic/hypnosis
Liepard - jolly / prankster - Foul Play/substitute/thunder wave/swagger

I don't know what to give Lucario, swords dance? Earthquake? Some ideas would work.

Edit: which magazine is this? Can I go across the street and buy from my 7-11? I am in Japan and do own japanese y.

one_kill

I've never really done any EV training before so I'm wondering how that works exactly.

I'm getting ready my 5iV team, I wish they were all shiny oh well maybe with a shiny charm later on. So far I'm planning on:

Arcanine - adamant / intimidate - Morning Sun/Flare Blitz/Extreme Speed/Wild Charge

I don't know what to give Lucario, swords dance? Earthquake? Some ideas would work.
You'd get wrecked by Earthquake and Drizzle if you ran that team.

Also, here's a good beginner's guide to EV training in XY: http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-training-hotspots-x-y/

Edit: which magazine is this? Can I go across the street and buy from my 7-11? I am in Japan and do own japanese y.

Some Chlorophyll Pokemon wouldn't kill ya. Earthquake from an opponent will, though.

lupinko

Should I split the team up and make more teams?

I also have 5IV Treecko(for sceptile)-adamant/overgrow, Absol-jolly/superluck, also can breed Samurott-adamant/torrent and for a bold Vaporeon.

I can also get around to doing the Scizor and Gengar builds in cherish balls thanks to the Pokemon Center events.

What do you guys suggest?

Another pokedit question. I want a Defog Empoleon, but all my builds are not legit appearantly. Any clues? Pokecheck would be an option of course, but I can not nickname it this way.

one_kill

Should I split the team up and make more teams?

I also have 5IV Treecko(for sceptile)-adamant/overgrow, Absol-jolly/superluck, also can breed Samurott-adamant/torrent and for a bold Vaporeon.

I can also get around to doing the Scizor and Gengar builds in cherish balls thanks to the Pokemon Center events.

What do you guys suggest?
You need tanks/stallers in your team. One for physical attacks and another for special attacks. Eviolite Porygon2 and Toxic Orb Gliscor are awesome tanks, especially if you're still learning. You might also want to look at Pokemon that benefit from holding an Assault Vest like Escavalier and Goodra.

Have you checked out Smogon? Some of your builds aren't optimal. For instance, Jolly Mega Lucario may seem OK, but there are a lot of Pokemon in the current meta that not only counter it, but also outspeed it. Adamant Mega Lucario is better imo.

You're also lacking ice (Ice Beam), fighting (Close Combat, Superpower), ground (Earthquake), and rock (Rock Slide) moves.

spiritfox

3 Fire types and Lucario means you'll die to EQ. Either get a Flying/Levitate mon or a Grass type, preferably with Chlorophyll to take advantage of Drought.

Does anyone have extra X exclusive megastones? Or can clone them for me? Gamefaqs gamefaq'd flaked on me 3 times so now I don't care where they come from.

lupinko

I'll take that into advisement, and while just going around a friend safari for dragonair and gabite, I caught a shiny druddigon!

This is the 4th shiny I've caught in my X, following Pidgey now a Pidgeot, and Frufrou and Snubbull both traded to Muku.

Muku

It's コロコロ (CoroCoro). I'm not sure I've ever seen it at a konbini in Japan. Though I never really look at their selective stuff anyway. Pretty sure you'll need to head to a book store. Depending on book store can vary a bit where it's at, so you may need to ask.

And on note of owning Japanese Pokemon, does anyone here own X or Y in Japanese that I could give my code to get my Charizard? (Doesn't matter to me which, because I own X and Y in English, so I have both stones already. Just would like the Charizard.) You can clone it, if you'd like. If you can't clone, we can discuss details in a PM about payment for helping.

lupinko

It's コロコロ (CoroCoro). I'm not sure I've ever seen it at a konbini in Japan. Though I never really look at their selective stuff anyway. Pretty sure you'll need to head to a book store. Depending on book store can vary a bit where it's at, so you may need to ask.

And on note of owning Japanese Pokemon, does anyone here own X or Y in Japanese that I could give my code to get my Charizard? (Doesn't matter to me which, because I own X and Y in English, so I have both stones already. Just would like the Charizard.) You can clone it, if you'd like. If you can't clone, we can discuss details in a PM about payment for helping.

Oh ok, I'll give the bookstores a visit soon.

As for my team I'm putting in a Sceptile and a Feraligatr, now I just need my floaty mon.

Edit: going with Lucario/Noivern/Sceptile/Vaporeon/Alakazam/Arcanine for my first team. Liepard will be an alternate.

I'll use Samurott/Feraligatr/Rapidash/Ninetales for different teams.

JoeM86

Oh ok, I'll give the bookstores a visit soon.

As for my team I'm putting in a Sceptile and a Feraligatr, now I just need my floaty mon.

Edit: going with Lucario/Noivern/Sceptile/Vaporeon/Alakazam/Arcanine for my first team. Liepard will be an alternate.

I'll use Samurott/Feraligatr/Rapidash/Ninetales for different teams.

It's specifically this one:

hyoshi.gif

Zing

Banned
This may seem like an obvious question to pokemon fans, but I am wondering if this game is accessible to an eight-year-old. The free download code has me thinking I could play this game alongside my daughter. I was already a rather dedicated gamer at that age (albeit on a Coleco Vision), and my daughter loves to play Mario Kart, Pikmin, Donkey Kong Country, Luigi's Mansion and such, but it seems this would take another level of dedication.

She doesn't have a DS, but I would buy her a 2DS and we already have a spare copy of Mario Kart 7 to register for a Pokemon download. I have my own unused Pokemon Y code already. Money is not an issue, it is the time investment that concerns me.

I have already decided to not allow her to play Animal Crossing due to the extreme amount of busy work and reliance on real-time play, and the time-sucking quality of the game in general. I try to limit her video game playing, or at least only play for extended periods when we are playing cooperatively. We have so many other things to do (puzzles, board games, outdoor activities, playing piano, crafts) that I don't really want a game that will be an MMO level of time-suck.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since the first, and even then, I quit rather early due to it feeling like a grind. I haven't played this new game yet, and part of the excitement would be for my daughter and I to play alongside each other and discover the game together, so I don't want to try the game before then. I did watch a spoiler-free review, and it gave me the impression that this game is light on story and early grind, and clears out some of the time-wasters from previous games.

Comments? Anyone with kids that age playing the game? I'm just wondering if kids are able to focus enough to play through the whole game with so much else going on (Minecraft and everything else kids do). I guess the worst thing that could happen is she doesn't play the game and I resell the hardware.

MicH

I don't have kids, but I see no problem in an eight year old being able to play the game. I was able to play the original Red game as an eight year old and I couldn't even read English back then (it's my second language). I think a lot of children in that age plays these games

I first played Pokemon when I was that age. Lots of people started at that age. It's more than old enough.

And nah, there's no need to grind in X & Y. She would have to disable an item and train a full team of 6 Pokemon evenly to make grinding even a consideration. 8 year-olds typically don't do either of those things.

Pokemon Y so far for me is an addictingly fun experience, but it certainly isn't hard to put down. There's not really much to grind, and the experience is really streamlined compared to the earlier titles.

I'd say go for it. Crystal version (Gen2) was pretty accessible for me as an 8 year old. We're on Gen6 now, and I can't imagine how easy it would be to get into Pokemon now!

And if she doesn't end up liking it, feel free to try it out for yourself! XD It's an enjoyable game overall.

Top Bottom