• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

Chris1

Got a score of 32,790 which puts me at #387. Hopefully that's enough to get in the top 3k for the Mega Speedup. I could have done much better though, there was a few moments where I hesitated to move.

I don't really care about the Speed-ups that much. You're going to need quite a lot of them to make a noticeable difference to the speed at which Pokémon evolve, and there seems to be way too few of them going around.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Scored 31,437 on first attempt w/ all items, ranked 535. Will be interesting to see how much I drop over the week.

Chris1

I don't really care about the Speed-ups that much. You're going to need quite a lot of them to make a noticeable difference to the speed at which Pokémon evolve, and there seems to be way too few of them going around.

Well if you got to stage 100 on Giratina you could have 4 with this. If only stage 50 then you could have 3, which lowers the amount of matches to evolve by 1. Not too bad, but yeah if this is how they are going to be given out mostly, then I'm not sure I'll keep trying to get them every time. It's hard enough trying to get the mega stone at times nevermind finish in the top 3k.

Syntsui

Isn't that exactly why you should care about them? Getting most of them as possible to make them useful?

Victini on Saturday :p

tumblr_nnffv2oBEO1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
LOL NOPE Already put over 4 months into the 3DS version, why bother with starting from the beginning on a new platform. But I guess this makes sense for those who don't have a 3DS. Wonder how different it'll be.

I'm mainly worried that if I can transfer my save I'd be playing this for the rest of my life. At least on 3DS I can pretend it's not there.

On my phone it'd be looking at me ALL THE TIME.

Chris1

Shuffle is coming to mobile, obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3DWwQmUxQ

I hope I can't transfer my 3DS save over somehow.

I suppose, but I don't think you'll ever get enough the way they're releasing them at present. They need to sell them, it's crazy that they aren't. Money on the table.

I hope mobile+3ds versions are separate games, Nintendo could probably get away with a lot of severe pay to win shit on mobile that I don't want to see make it to 3ds. I mean, they have tested out the waters with some near pay to win stuff (pinsir, the first safari, massive difficulty jump on the first set of stages added) but they always seem to correct it by the next time they do a similar event and tone it down a bit. On mobile they might just keep doing it because mobile gamers are used to that so there won't be as much of a backlash.

I'm surprised they haven't started selling them either, they'd probably cost at least 20-30k coins but it'd be worth it especially for those at the end of the game. Syntsui raises a good point though, competitions would be dominated by people with lots of speedups or their difficulty level would be set to assume you had speedups putting those who don't completely out of the picture.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I do wonder how they'll handle pass events, considering there's been quite a bit of weekday Pokemon, the two safaris, the legendaries, the # million download celebration Pokemon, etc.

I'm surprised they haven't started selling them either, they'd probably cost at least 20-30k coins but it'd be worth it especially for those at the end of the game. Syntsui raises a good point though, competitions would be dominated by people with lots of speedups or their difficulty level would be set to assume you had speedups putting those who don't completely out of the picture.

Competitions could equally be dominated by people buying Mega Start, so I don't see how the Speedups would make a difference in that regard.

BooJoh

The problem is if this is the distribution method, then the people who already have the most Mega Speedups will have the best chance at getting another one (except in cases where Mega Gengar is best.)

The "entry fee" for actually placing in the competition has also gone up from 10500 coins to 13500 because they added Attack Power Up.

I've always placed in the bottom 50% of winners in these things so I'm not even going to pretend I have a chance at the top 6k.

Chris1

Competitions could equally be dominated by people buying Mega Start, so I don't see how the Speedups would make a difference in that regard.

Not all competitions have Mega Start though, the Manectric one right now doesn't. For competitions that you can buy Mega Start for then yeah, it wouldn't matter. Mega Start and all items actually are relatively cheap and easy to obtain at any time, Speedups would be limited still if you don't want to spend $ on the game unless they make it cheap which I doubt they will if they are this rare to get currently and are permanent so I don't think they are comparable.

Loptous

Don't have a mobile phone that could play it, but I'm completely fine with just the 3DS version anyway.

That said, timed stages are probably going to be shit without a stylus. : /
I also wonder how the competitions will scale.

I have a cheap terrible screen protector on my n3DS XL. If you look at the screen when it's off you can see the marks on it, forming a 6x6 grid.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd argue tha stylus is also helpful because it doesn't cover up as much of the screen compared to your finger or thumb, which can be a pain when you're trying to find matches to make in a timed stage.

Also yeah, finger/thumb might accidentally grab the wrong Pokemon.

RiggyRob

Hmm, for the EU event a score of 9k ranked me ~6000/27000 on Mega Manectric and the highest score so far is 67000. This makes it really difficult to judge how much I'll need to place in the top 3000 for the Mega Speedup.

I'd argue tha stylus is also helpful because it doesn't cover up as much of the screen compared to your finger or thumb, which can be a pain when you're trying to find matches to make in a timed stage.

Also yeah, finger/thumb might accidentally grab the wrong Pokemon.

Conversely though, on an iPhone you could play with two thumbs at the same time...

Just tried the competition and got 27,506. Placed 1,068th. I will check on it throughout the week but I don't think I'll try for it again. In the U.S.

Pokemaniac

Shuffle is coming to mobile, obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3DWwQmUxQ

I hope I can't transfer my 3DS save over somehow.

I suppose, but I don't think you'll ever get enough the way they're releasing them at present. They need to sell them, it's crazy that they aren't. Money on the table.

I can't really say I'm surprised. I'm not going to bother with this unless it can share a save file with the 3DS version, though.

Actually, thinking about it, the 3DS version of this game has you log in with your NNID. I wonder if this could be one of the first games to take advantage of Nintendo's new online services.

Zeeman

Leaderboards in EU would suggest Gengar.
It's always Gengar

Makes sense, that's what I was assuming but wanted to see if I was missing something. Also, I have 2 mega speedups. Has it been determined what the best Pokemon to use them on is yet?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Might as well use one on Gengar. He only needs one & he seems to be a popular Mega for certain stages.

Chris1

What I said a few pages back:
I don't think using it on Gengar is a wise choice, it'll only take it down to 10 pokemon matches, which is still going to require 4 matches for most people (1 match of 4 & 3 of 3, or 4 of 3). Using it on gengar seems like a waste, unless you can get 2 matches of 4 before it mega evolves and considering how quick it mega evolves, that doesn't seem worth it especially since you'd mostly use him in situations where you need him to mega evolve ASAP, so setting it up for two four matches seems a bit counterproductive.

I think you're better off saving them until you have enough to make a difference on a meaningful Pokemon like Banette which will almost always be a good choice because of weekend Meowth

I think you're better off saving them until you have enough to make a difference on a meaningful Pokemon like Banette which will almost always be a good choice because of weekend Meowth

To me, the move from 11>10 for Gengar is actually pretty good. When you make a match in an L or a cross shape, the token which is part of both matches counts twice. So two matches of three uses five tokens and counts for six. One match of four after that means that on a lot of grids you can evolve Gengar in two turns. Occassionally even one turn with a combo or a lucky drop.

Guess I'm grinding coins this week for one full item Manectric run. Also going to level up Stunfisk to replace Donphan.

Can't crack 10k without items.

I don't think Banette is a good choice because even if you have all 4 MSU it will only make him as fast as Mewtwo Y. If you prefer that ability for Weekend Meowth it's better to speed up Mewtwo Y who has three mega boosters as support.

Mewtwo Y is the most power Mega and isn't likely to be replaced by another Psychic. I think he's the safest bet to max out without fearing regret.

I don't think Banette is a good choice because even if you have all 4 MSU it will only make him as fast as Mewtwo Y. If you prefer that ability for Weekend Meowth it's better to speed up Mewtwo Y who has three mega boosters as support.

Mewtwo Y is the most power Mega and isn't likely to be replaced by another Psychic. I think he's the safest bet to max out without fearing regret.

Mewtwo removes disruptions, doesn't it? That makes it a poor choice for Meowth

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Upped my score from 31,437 to 38,822 & now ranked at 589, about 1,000+ higher than where I originally was. Think I'll be safe for staying above 6,000 now.

Chris1

Just gave Manectric another try and had a massive improvement on my score, now sitting with a score of 43,498 and rank 202. I should be guaranteed top 3k for the speedup now.

I'm a little over 7K in rank without items. I'm wondering if it's worth using all items available or if I should just go with the bonus damage. I might do all 3 just to be safe, I suppose.

Chris1

I'm a little over 7K in rank without items. I'm wondering if it's worth using all items available or if I should just go with the bonus damage. I might do all 3 just to be safe, I suppose.
I'd just get a complexity -1 aswell, only 9k coins and you'll make it back in no time from Meowth. Assuming you want the mega speedup that is.

Are you in EU? If it helps any, my old score was 32,790 at rank 1,389 and now I'm 43,498 at rank 202 (as of ~4 hours ago)

Wow some of you are good at this game. Could only manage to get a score of 10500 once and that ranked me around 11000 :|

Is that with or without items? I could only get around 10k without items but buying all items gave me a score of 43.5k so they definitely help a ton.

Top Bottom