• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

colinp

Banned
They literally gave you the game for free.

Hahaha, yeah I think it's a bit of an overreaction, too. But these days I tend to only have time for a couple of runs every couple hours so it doesn't bother me much.

Really enjoying the iOS version. Just got Mawile, woo, how long until I get his mega stone??

Had a go at Kyogre and when clearing chains rewards you with garbage you really do feel the game is not on your side. Given how far could its HP down I'll have to try again a lot later.

They literally gave you the game for free.
I would prefer to pay for a version without any of this bullshit but there is no option. It is worrying if this industry is going to go down this dark path of whaling and making purposefully shoddy games. Is the race to the bottom that bad we've had to sink below it?

Also there is seriously no reason the mobile version should:
-Devour your battery
-Crash all the time and have no resume function so stamina eaten not to mention making item use risky (as those would be eaten too)...
-...not that you'll be using items more than once in a blue moon due to glacial pace you earn coins at (hoo boy this will make later stages really fun)
-Be a way more stingy when it comes to giving you gems (so no getting coins that way)

The Kyogre stage cost is just icing on the cake and also ignores the elephants in the room.

It remains to be seen if the "best" beta feature of some stage unlocks cost gems makes it over as well.

A lot of f2p have some element of bullshit but their quality is how they mitigate it yet Pokemon shuffle being ported has only amplified things.

I would prefer to pay for a version without any of this bullshit but there is no option.

When I hear about the time some people on here have put into Shuffle I'm damn thankful there are timers. 250 hours is bad enough, but without hearts there'd probably be people on 1,000 hours.

It's basically an essential mechanic because people can't be trusted to limit their own time ;)

Yeah. 3DS is looking like the best version because it doesn't hand you all that BS like 2 hearts to play or neuter the only way to get coins besides buying them with money. I'd be fine if they increased the limit on those regenerating hearts but they aren't going to.

Cbajd5

It remains to be seen if the "best" beta feature of some stage unlocks cost gems makes it over as well.

It's in with the Meowth coin stage last weekend, which let you play it an additional two times if you spent a Jewel after you played it once during the event period, just like the beta. (So basically you were able to play it once on Saturday and once on Sunday without unlocking it, anymore and you need to spend a Jewel. So it's just a way to replay the limited stages on the same day, not spending the Jewel let's you play it once like the 3DS version.)

yah

i meant free

Walk around and hope you streetpass people with the game. Every 10 passes is a Heart (except for the 100th passes where you get a jewel).

If you haven't streetpassed in a while you get 2 hearts. And if you streetpass one person consecutively you get 1 heart.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Walk around and hope you streetpass people with the game. Every 10 passes is a Heart (except for the 100th passes where you get a jewel).

If you haven't streetpassed in a while you get 2 hearts. And if you streetpass one person consecutively you get 1 heart.

I play on IOS :(

Catch percentage is ruining this game for me. I beat Combusken on the first turn and I have roughly a 20% chance of catching it. There's plenty other Pokemon that have even worse odds then that by the time I beat them.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Catch percentage is ruining this game for me. I beat Combusken on the first turn and I have roughly a 20% chance of catching it. There's plenty other Pokemon that have even worse odds then that by the time I beat them.
You'll hit a roadblock sooner or later where you got nothing to do but catch all the Pokemons... and still not have enough money to bypass the wall.

Emboar kicked-out at 95% catch chance.

Mama Mia.

Why even use a great ball on Emboar? It's such an easy fight you're just throwing coins away for nothing.

If you can beat something on the first turn and don't catch it, just play it again. It's obviously not a challenging fight and it won't take that long to catch it even at 20% each time, unless you're spectacularly unlucky. All the while your Pokémon and levelling up and you're earning a few coins.

CassSept

Why even use a great ball on Emboar? It's such an easy fight you're just throwing coins away for nothing.

5 times in a row it broke out for me at 35%-40%. I used a great ball because another 5 times means losing potentially up to 2500+ coins anyway. And obviously it was annoying me.

JoeM86

I've been playing Mobile as well as the 3DS one this past week, and practically every Pokémon has broken out of the ball, even when percentage is well above 80%.

I'm not saying the percentage is a lie, but I highly doubt that I have luck that bad.

Shuffle Mobile is the absolute worst. I had some issues with the 3DS one when it came launch (as you probably saw on my Twitter rant if you follow me), but this is a whole new level of evil.

Based on what ash_ag said of the mobile version's success in Japan, it seems to be getting a lot of downloads, but not much money. Hope this teaches them the right lesson.

I've been playing Mobile as well as the 3DS one this past week, and practically every Pokémon has broken out of the ball, even when percentage is well above 80%.

I'm not saying the percentage is a lie, but I highly doubt that I have luck that bad.

It's just human nature to read patterns into randomness. It is random, though, you just have luck that bad.

As far as Japanese Shuffle players go, I imagine the market for it on mobile isn't as big as you'd expect, surely a lot of the people who would play it already own 3DSs and have played it already? Probably downloaded it and then realised it was a waste of time because they'd done it already. It might perform better outside Japan where 3DS ownership is more scarce.

Junahu

It's just human nature to read patterns into randomness. It is random, though, you just have luck that bad.
The game is under no obligation to be honest about what "Catchability" actually means in relation to the catch rate of a Pokemon, other than "MAX" being a guaranteed capture. There could be any amount of variance or weighting being applied to skew the resulting chances and the game would not be required to report that to the player.

With the 3DS version, it does seem that Catchability is literally the odds of catching the pokemon, but I would not be surprised if the Mobile version added something to the mechanic to throttle catches.

I think I figured out why I'm having such trouble with Kyogre (I can gets it HP to 1/3 at best). You only get 18 moves to do the stage in mobile. It was 30 moves when it first came out on the 3DS version. Were the re-issues less moves or something?

Also the game crashed (I sy crash but it is more decide to close for no reason) on the Meowth stage now that is bitter losing the stamina and being unable to re-play the stage itself.

The game is under no obligation to be honest about what "Catchability" actually means in relation to the catch rate of a Pokemon, other than "MAX" being a guaranteed capture. There could be any amount of variance or weighting being applied to skew the resulting chances and the game would not be required to report that to the player.

They're under no obligation to be honest, sure, but do you realise how paranoid this sounds? It's such a weird thing to have insane conspiricy theories about.

It's just random, 50% is 50%, there's nothing more to it than bad luck.

Chris1

Shuffle Mobile is the absolute worst. I had some issues with the 3DS one when it came launch (as you probably saw on my Twitter rant if you follow me), but this is a whole new level of evil.

Based on what ash_ag said of the mobile version's success in Japan, it seems to be getting a lot of downloads, but not much money. Hope this teaches them the right lesson.
There's a lot of comments on the Shuffle reddit about things seeming harder to catch too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonShuffle/comments/3jfznh/catch_rates_seem_lower_on_mobile_they_said/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonShu...nyone_else_having_worse_luck_catching_things/
+more..

I found this comment interesting, if this is true it at least shows they have the capabilities to do it already and who knows in what other situations it's being used in or even if their cheat detection system glitches and punishes legit people by accident.

"2) From what I've gathered, if the app catches you trying to hack, it'll punish you by giving you capture rates lower than what's displayed until you reinstall it"

Could just be RNG and all but from what I've been reading it seems like there's a bit more to it than that. Someone failed 90% catch rate 14 times in a row in one of those reddit topics, sure, it's possible.. but how many times did the 3ds version fail more than 3 times at 90%? 14 is stretching it, if you ask me, statistically possible or not.

Hearing about all of the shit going on in the mobile version makes me really glad I didn't start it, if the 3ds version becomes like that I'm quitting. Free game or not, this is another level of money grabbing.

Could just be RNG and all but from what I've been reading it seems like there's a bit more to it than that. Someone failed 90% catch rate 14 times in a row in one of those reddit topics, sure, it's possible.. but how many times did the 3ds version fail more than 3 times at 90%? 14 is stretching it, if you ask me, statistically possible or not.

Between 3DS and iOS now there must be, what, six million players? It's within the realms of possibility that one of six million people might be that unlucky.

Chesnaught is... tricky. I thought Gengar plus two SE Pokemon would give me enormous combos, but it seems that if you don't clear the blocks the disruptions will eventually trap you (clearing Mega Gengars doesn't clear blocks).

Here is another look at mobile changes (beyond the item costs, boss stage victory being 5 hearts instead of a gem and the 5 hearts are not bonus stamina but get added to the base so you lose regen time).

It has: Lower catch rates (and lower bonus per move), more HP and changes ability activation rates (some buffs so arguably rebalancing).

The catch rates get fucking brutal in the later levels. Gengar with a base of 0.1% for example (plus the higher HP means you'll win with less moves remaining too not that the 2% boost per move goes far).

Yowch, Mobile sounds more and more brutal.

3DS also has the benefit of StreetPass hearts, if you live in a densely populated area--or one with loads of relays abound : P

Can't catch Lugia without items. Recommended teams?

I would just use items, unless you're dirt poor. I went in with Mega Start, Disruption Delay and Attack Power+ and beat it with 15 seconds left. You probably don't need all 3 items, but I wouldn't risk it.

My team was Mega Ampharos, Avalugg (barrier bash, which I didn't pay attention to see if it triggered), Aurorus and Tyranitar.

JoeM86

Here is another look at mobile changes (beyond the item costs, boss stage victory being 5 hearts instead of a gem and the 5 hearts are not bonus stamina but get added to the base so you lose regen time).

It has: Lower catch rates (and lower bonus per move), more HP and changes ability activation rates (some buffs so arguably rebalancing).

The catch rates get fucking brutal in the later levels. Gengar with a base of 0.1% for example (plus the higher HP means you'll win with less moves remaining too not that the 2% boost per move goes far).

And this is why the mobile version sucks -_-

SaintZ

I was SO close to beating Luiga without items (like one or two hits away of beating it) but I just said fuck it and bought Attack Power. I beat it with 12 seconds left and got a catch rate of 24% which was enough to get it.

I can go back and try to beat Gothorita at last.

And this is why the mobile version sucks -_-

I'm sure there are reasons for it though. Like, they probably expect people to play more on mobile and so have crippled it to make it last longer. People always have their phones with them but not so their 3DS. Nintendo have also already made money from people who play on 3DS, because they own a 3DS. On mobile, a Shuffle player who they can't get to buy something has given them literally nothing. A direct comparison between the two versions isn't really fair.

The mobile game's not for me with all I've heard about it, but I can understand why they've made the changes they have, however shit they look when you do compare them as if they're identical products.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh hey, I was grinding for coins & had over 30k to only realize I still needed to S-rank & capture Vivillon. Was able to do that & then use the remaining coins to make EX27 easier (thankfully caught on first attempt with 46%). Now I'm finally up-to-date again on all stages & Pokemon caught.

Tomorrow's suppose to be...Sharkpedo Mega Stone competition, correct?

Ondore

That fails like, twelve sniff tests (most notably if they're doing anything for Pokemon's 20th anniversary it would come out ON the anniversary).

It was mentioned before that some people got a weird Japanese notification on the mobile version when it launched and it hit me today what that actually was: when I first downloaded the game, the notification icon was the four pikachu heads that are on the app icon. However now when you get the notification its just a single pikachu head silhouette icon. I'm on the Android version so that's what I'm figuring it was for, at least for my version.

I have it on 3DS but havent gotten nearly as far as mobole simply because i have my phone with me more than 3DD. I've been enjoying the game on mobile a lot though; Facebook sync with my friends lets us see who's where and we race each other through the game. It makes me hope more "competitive" games or Pokemon ones would be great. I'd like the timers to be lowered to 12 minutes which would allow you to get 5 hearts in an hour instead of two and a half

Chris1

No Mega Start.. That's is the first time for these competitions right?

Really glad I've been going for mega speedups if this becomes a regular thing.

Growlie19

Went in with all items and got 49699, just shy of the top 5 in NA unfortunately. Team was M-Heracross, Xerneas, Genesect, and Lucario, all level MAX.

Chris1

Got a score of 39k and sitting at rank 55 in UK so I'm probably gonna have to do another run. Messed up really bad when the pokemon disruptions started happening.

... Uhhh the #1 guy in the UK has a score of 133k with Pikachu, azumarill, Togekiss and Xerneas... WTF?

Na, the last one didn't either

Oh yeah Mega Garchomp, I remember now.

JoeM86

COSECnYWcAAqquo.png

I am very suspicious of this high score.

SaintRidley

Neo Member
Timed competitions have never featured mega start as far as I can remember.

And that looks highly suspicious, unless there's something about pixie power and a ridiculous end combo that did it.

JoeM86

Timed competitions have never featured mega start as far as I can remember.

And that looks highly suspicious, unless there's something about pixie power and a ridiculous end combo that did it.

Japanese players haven't broken 70k and they typically have the highest scores. This is double the top Japanese score

Top Bottom