• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

So after having several days of just different versions of Rotom as the daily Pokemon on the iOS version I start the game up to see what the new daily Pokemon is and it's the ice Rotom that's already been a daily Pokemon. They're apparently starting the Rotoms over again. Genuinely considering just deleting this from my phone.

JoeM86

So after having several days of just different versions of Rotom as the daily Pokemon on the iOS version I start the game up to see what the new daily Pokemon is and it's the ice Rotom that's already been a daily Pokemon. They're apparently starting the Rotoms over again. Genuinely considering just deleting this from my phone.

These events last a couple of weeks before they rotate to new ones. It's to give people multiple chances to get them.

Japanese players haven't broken 70k and they typically have the highest scores. This is double the top Japanese score

Toshin has to be cheating somehow doesn't he?

There's just no way anyone can get a high score like that when they're even using a junk pokemon (pikachu, really?)

daydream

Banned

i don't know why you (or anyone, for that matter) are playing the mobile version but with the event pokemon still ahead of you, you'll be happy when they last a bit longer, believe me

Robin64

I'm playing the Mobile version. Shh.

Actually I'm strictly not moving on to the next stage till I have caught a Pokémon, and also spending zero gold. Currently on 26, Volbeat just doesn't want to stay in the ball.

daydream

Banned

Actually I'm strictly not moving on to the next stage till I have caught a Pokémon, and also spending zero gold. Currently on 26, Volbeat just doesn't want to stay in the ball.

the changes (aka the further f2pification) just sound horrible, i don't understand why you would put up with it :p

i guess you carry your phone around all the time whereas you have way less playtime on 3ds, i could see that being a reason

Robin64

the changes (aka the further f2pification) just sound horrible, i don't understand why you would put up with it :p

i guess you carry your phone around all the time whereas you have way less playtime on 3ds, i could see that being a reason

Downtime at work, basically, yeah. Easier to pull out the phone than a 3DS.

I still play the 3DS one fairly often at home, though, despite my anger with it at times. Screw the late main stages, but I'm there for events.

Are you bad talking my bae Rotom?
i'll fite u m8

Haha I think they keep the things for a few weeks, gives people a chance to get them if you missed them. I only got two of the Rotoms because of my schedule so I'm happy to get another shot at them because I love Rotom so much.

Man, I am having such bad luck on the Meowth stage these last few days. Constant amazing combos killing it in two turns or less, or really poor layouts meaning I have to settle for 130 coins.

I should probably head over to reddit and claim Nintendo have fixed it so you can't grind coins on Meowth now!

Azuran

Banned
It's so nice to have a Pokemon game where the RNG finally loves me.

COUD7vWWcAAFaGF.png
COUE_FzVAAAgyMb.png

Feels awesome.

Edit: I'm throwing Master Balls guys.

Syntsui

I just downloaded the mobile version, any code I should redeem?

At the moment it's exactly like the 3DS version, what exactly change again? They fucked up Meowth right? I'm not there yet.

Tak3n

Banned
I have walked into a solid wall on level 90 Mega Mawii, any tips, been stuck for two days now :( all my Pokemon have the arrows up and are supposedly super effective, but he just shuts the board down on me

LOLDSFAN

Oh for some reason I thought Sharkpedo was a repeat so I didn't bother checking it out lol.

Gotta get that team ready then.

Pokemaniac

I have walked into a solid wall on level 90 Mega Mawii, any tips, been stuck for two days now :( all my Pokemon have the arrows up and are supposedly super effective, but he just shuts the board down on me

Don't be afraid to use items on Megas. Many of the Megas are nigh-unbeatable without them.

Robin64

On Mobile, I have been on Volbeat now for days. Must be at least 60 attempts at this point. Each time 22% chance, each time it escapes. Come on, I know the chance is low, but after THIS MANY tries...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I plopped down a Great Ball for Yveltal since I got the big chance to almost 50%. Caught it, but not sure if it'll help me on Mega Gengar; wish its special was better.
Poor again.

Robin64

Yep, easy hacking is in.

WVW69iXRD1c1gRD1tj

Luckily this guy decided to not upload his score, though it would've likely been removed anyway. I expect most of the top scores are hacked but sensible enough to not arouse suspicion.

I think I caught all up to Slowbro Gastly (who has about 30% more HP too). In terms of stages I'm up to Thoroh now and have taken a break from the main mode to try and get Venusaur and maybe Sceptile for fighting Kyogre. I got Articuno along the way (plus Lucario but that was for fighting Mawile).

10%-25% rates depending on how the stages go so like you on Volbeat I'll probably be here for days. Typically one stamina gets wasted on crashes within the first few moves too (sometimes two stamina).

I just downloaded the mobile version, any code I should redeem?

At the moment it's exactly like the 3DS version, what exactly change again? They fucked up Meowth right? I'm not there yet.
There is a mega lucario stone code (which is very nice to have). 65607110. Expires 30th Sept.

As for changes. I made a post on the previous page. Nerfd catch (and bonus) rates, some Pokemon stronger, Meowth changes (can do non coin things now) and some ability activation rebalancing. First release of Kyogre is 18 move version rather than 30 move version (plus it costs 2 hearts to run).

Zeeman

Ugh, Lugia and Mega Sharpedo are both going to require a bunch of coins, and I really don't have the time or inclination to grind Meowth. (Also, I refuse to spend actual money on this game)

Ugh, Lugia and Mega Sharpedo are both going to require a bunch of coins, and I really don't have the time or inclination to grind Meowth. (Also, I refuse to spend actual money on this game)

You can make 2,000 coins a day pretty easily in five minutes. That's enough for ATK+ in both stages which will be enough to beat Lugia, and enough to at least win the stone in Sharpedo.

Assuming your team isn't rubbish and you're okay at the game.

Azuran

Banned
So when are you supposed to start tackling the expert stages? I'm currently at Stage 70 having caught most Pokemon in the game. I just want a good team so i can finally start going for Kyogre.

OmegaX

So when are you supposed to start tackling the expert stages? I'm currently at Stage 70 having caught most Pokemon in the game. I just want a good team so i can finally start going for Kyogre.
You should be able to beat the first stages already. Try and get Zapdos at least.

Personally my roadmap was Lucario (70 base power and has mega stone) > Articuno (70 base power and Ice to help catch the next few rest plus Fighting wrecks Ice) > Venusaur (60 pow) > Sceptile (70 pow) > Kyogre (if EXP needed do Blastoise).

I had Lucario before fighting Mawile in main story.

You might want to swap Sceptile and Vensaur around for power level reasons. The vitality drain those two have also has a higher activation rate on mobile. For matches of 3,4 and 5 it has 5%, 10%, 30% on 3DS but 5%, 20%, 50% on mobile. Still a bit low to rely on but nice if it happens near the start of a battle.

The EX stages require a somewhat different playstyle of fast draws rather than careful planning. But like the main stages you want to get out of the starting gimmick position ASAP to have a full board to play with.

The Zapdos stage is annoying as 1/3 of the screen is blacked out to start with and the 30 second timer is also very rough going (its HP is scaled appropriate to the time you have though).

Kyogre is tough though. I finished it with one move remaining. Some of that might be I've been playing EX stages for the last few days so forgotten how to play normally but I think the 18 turn limit is very tight for how early this event it.

Chopper

Man, I am having such bad luck on the Meowth stage these last few days. Constant amazing combos killing it in two turns or less, or really poor layouts meaning I have to settle for 130 coins.

I should probably head over to reddit and claim Nintendo have fixed it so you can't grind coins on Meowth now!

JoeM86

Just caught Gengar on the 0.1% chance on its stage on Pokémon Shuffle Mobile. In your face, microtransaction-desiring mechanics.

it was one of my tenth consecutive check-ins, so 1K there, but then stage 37, 40 times. 35 of those were 530 coins, the other 5 were 330.

I only got 4 hours of sleep at the end of this particular day, and the day began with the 5 hearts accumulated while sleeping. Not a typical day, but I used it to finally grab some S-Ranks on stages that basically require Complexity -1

Mega Sharpedo scores are crazy. An all-Fairy team makes sense if you can proc Togekiss's Pixie Power, but I couldn't even hit 40K with all items.

it was one of my tenth consecutive check-ins, so 1K there, but then stage 37, 40 times. 35 of those were 530 coins, the other 5 were 330.

I'd love to see some videos of how you achieve this. I can hit at least 330 about 95% of the time, but hitting 530 nearly 90% of the time and having no attempts in 40 where you get an unlucky combo or a bad break is just incredible work.

You're obviously a fair bit better than I am, so it'd be cool to see how you manipulate the stage to virtually guarantee success while avoiding both combos AND running out of moves. The margin for error is so tight (you literally have to kill Meowth on the last turn for 530 coins, generally) that I'm amazed you can hit it that often without mistakes!

Loptous

I'd love to see some videos of how you achieve this. I can hit at least 330 about 95% of the time, but hitting 530 nearly 90% of the time and having no attempts in 40 where you get an unlucky combo or a bad break is just incredible work.

You're obviously a fair bit better than I am, so it'd be cool to see how you manipulate the stage to virtually guarantee success while avoiding both combos AND running out of moves. The margin for error is so tight (you literally have to kill Meowth on the last turn for 530 coins, generally) that I'm amazed you can hit it that often without mistakes!
There are a few techniques to prevent unwarranted combos.
Mainly making horizontal matches at the top of the board or vertical matches on the side columns. (obviously it's not a 100% foolproof)

I find having one ghost mon to minimize damages when you need it is also fairly useful.

There are a few techniques to prevent unwarranted combos.
Mainly making horizontal matches at the top of the board or vertical matches on the side columns. (obviously it's not a 100% foolproof)

Yeah I'm aware of that, but you have to combo at the bottom to move coins around at least once, probably more. And to hit 530 with Meowth you have to beat it on the last turn, so you need enough combos to whittle the HP down to 0, but not too many to beat it one turn early. Like I say, the margin for error is so tight that unless you're using jewels, 35 wins in 40 is incredible skill.

That's why I wonder if he's playing it differently to the way I am, I'd love to see.

Hmm, I dont have a capture card or anything, but I generally have one less effective mon with me if I need to burn a move and only do ~40-60 damage and try to keep the AP of the mons I take to battle in the 80s. obviously none with disruption delay/sleep/paralysis and never anyone in the mega slot for whom i have the mega stone. In Meowth's stage there's a fair amount of vertical predictability per column. It's binary for a certain number of cycles (i forget now but ive internalized it) and youll never see two common mons fall consecutively. based upon that knowledge im very often sure as to when im about the set off combos.

whether or not i set em off (combos) depends on how I approach the 5 coin match based upon the starting grid. sometimes I'll first work to eliminate the 4 in between the top right and bottom right, then work to get bottom left coin to F3. then it's about doing more or less damage depending on how much i had to do to get to that point. other times my first move is bottom left to just above bottom right, or top right directly down above bottom right. it's board-dependent. RNG for the position of the 4th coin spawn plays a roll, but before i get to five moves left i know the mon in F2 that ill need to swap the 4th coin with, so i keep as many of those on the board as I can (this can help for final move combo potential).

other times i try to get the 5 match on the bottom row, which usually means less damage done to meowth while getting them in place. thats when i look for a couple combos in the mid game. 330 is basically a guarantee with my strats, and then coin spawn RNG and smart movement can often get me 530. In cases where the 5th coin spawns exactly in place of the fourth, or in a spot which ruins the last minute swap I set up to get the 4th coin in place for a 5 match, I settle for 330. scouting for the best possible combo for that final turn is usually where the most scrutiny comes in to play (although you can technically earn 530 coins and defeat meowth with one turn left :p). first and last moves are most important. one shapes quite a bit of your board going forward and more or less solidifies your 5 match strategy, while the other is the difference between all the coins or none of them. this particular day was definitely the most lucrative yet for me.

this stage is honestly one of the biggest reasons I've kept with this game: the process of farming for the game's core currency is engaging and fun for me, while also allowing me to level mons slowly. if this were one of the DeNA partnership games I wouldve been okay with that.

Loptous

Yeah I'm aware of that, but you have to combo at the bottom to move coins around at least once, probably more. And to hit 530 with Meowth you have to beat it on the last turn, so you need enough combos to whittle the HP down to 0, but not too many to beat it one turn early. Like I say, the margin for error is so tight that unless you're using jewels, 35 wins in 40 is incredible skill.

That's why I wonder if he's playing it differently to the way I am, I'd love to see.
Not sure what team you use, but I have no super effective mons (only normal damages + 1 ineffective), so I find myself more often in a position where I undershoot things rather than overshoot them.
When that happens, my last move usually tends to aim at producing the best chain reaction I can.

Not sure what team you use, but I have no super effective mons (only normal damages + 1 ineffective), so I find myself more often in a position where I undershoot things rather than overshoot them.
When that happens, my last move usually tends to aim at producing the best chain reaction I can.

Yeah, that's what I mean though, at that point you're just getting out with whatever you can, and sometimes you'll fail. It's pretty much exactly how I end up too. Joeshabadoo has an amazing success rate!

Sounds like I'm playing pretty similar to him though, just with a lot less knowledge and appreciation of how to plan far ahead for combos. I pretty much let stuff fall as it does and work from there.

also

Banned
Does S ranking event Pokemon matter at all? Goggle says it doesn't but I want to be sure.
Got super lucky and managed to beat and catch Groudon on my first try but I have yet to defeat Kyogre; fewer moves and Ampharos taking so long to mega evolve are making these stage a bit frustrating. I just hope the rng gods will favor me once finally I beat it...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pretty sure it doesn't. Only the main stge Pokemon should you bother getting S-ranks. Special & Expert stages don't count towards unlocking more EX stages.

also

Banned
Pretty sure it doesn't. Only the main stge Pokemon should you bother getting S-ranks. Special & Expert stages don't count towards unlocking more EX stages.
You have my heartfelt gratitude, I didn't know about the ex stages not counting.

Top Bottom