• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I guess I missed the explanation or I don't remember it....

How do you destroy the grey blocks? I just see them vanish basically at random.....

I think it's one of 3 ways:

1. After a few turns, they just go away.
  2. After you match next to them a certain number of times, they go away. (I don't think this is the case).
  3. Mega Kangaskhan (and any other megas that destroy blocks) will destroy them with their mega skill.

I think it's one of 3 ways:

1. After a few turns, they just go away.
  2. After you match next to them a certain number of times, they go away. (I don't think this is the case).
  3. Mega Kangaskhan (and any other megas that destroy blocks) will destroy them with their mega skill.

SalvaPot

I beat mega mawile in my third try by using disruption delay and an extra 5 turns, I also used one jewel. If I run out of jewels later I can see myself throwing a few bucks in this games, its been far more fun and ertentaining than a lot of games I paid for.

zroid

Banned
Man, the EX stages are pretty tough and the catch rates are so low.

I attempted Blaziken a couple times and it was an unmitigated disaster.

I don't find the EX stages particularly enjoyable. I powered through a few so I could use Lucario etc on the main stages.

Dreavus

I've only got Lucario and Absol out of the EX stages. It's really just a probability game on those ones.

I've finished with roughly 30 seconds left on the 2 minute ones multiple times and no luck, they still have a sub 20% capture rate (Maybe less?). Takes persistence I guess!

---

BTW I think the great ball being multiplicative is a bit of a mistake - it needs to be additive for me to ever use it again.

If my capture rate is around 50%, thus a great ball providing a big rate improvement, I could just as easily try the stage again and have a pretty great chance of capturing. No great ball used.

If my capture rate is much lower (5% - 15%), like on most EX stages, because the great ball multiplies the chance by two, my rate isn't going to get much better and there's a pretty good chance I will have wasted the great ball. No great ball used again.

I guess it can be useful for people looking for an instant "second chance" without having to replay the level, (chance to capture notwithstanding) but if you're trying to use your gold effectively I think there are better options.

Boogiepop

Man, Trozei skills SHOULD help on the EX stages... but those frozen blocks mess with me mentally. Have the first three caught but I haven't managed Articuno yet.

Loptous

I recommend doing the EX stages once you reach stage ~100 in normal mode
The legendary birds can be really useful for the harder stages.

Got Venusaur with 30 seconds left earlier, which raised its catchability to around 60 I think.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So if you fail a stage, do you still get XP? Because if so, I feel like farming EX stages for XP is the best way to level Pokemon right now. Otherwise, I have no idea how I'm going to level all of these things.

Growlie19

Finally beat Mega Mawile today! It took a day and a half of trying and grinding, but I only needed a disruptor to beat it (though I used another disruptor and +5 moves earlier and failed). I used Charmeleon, Combusken, Hawlucha, and Phanpy, levels 2, 2, 3, and 5 respectively. Only has one move left at the end, whew!

Now I'm waiting for my hearts to regenerate at Chimecho.

As for EX stages, I've caught Absol and Venusaur and beat Rotom, Lucario, and Charizard.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People weren't kidding about Mega Mawile.

Oddly, the stages after it have been rather easy.

Is level 6 the maximum or is EXP so slow by that point that the bar hardly seems to move?

Boogiepop

So, is there a specific trick to this Haxorus stage? It's driving me nuts.

Yup. It's always the same, so it has a set solution. To give a hint or two:
you want to use all the moves up without running out and having it reset, as that'll cause the blocks to disappear. So you only want to take out two columns at once a single time, not twice. You also only need to focus on the central row.

adroit

So if you fail a stage, do you still get XP?
I was failing Zoroark (stage 129) over and over and my only consolation was leveling up some of my 'mon. I finally beat it with a C rank after countless tries. Didn't capture it, of course.

Because I refuse to use items on non-trainer stages, this game is starting to annoy me.

zroid

Banned
I came really close to beating Mega Mawile on my first try without spending any coins. Slightly less close the second time, lol.

I'm guessing Kangaskhan or Lopunny are probably the best way to deal with the frozen panels? Those Eevees tossed into the fray should help mega-evolve them too.

MicH

Fuck Gengar

Fuck Zoroark

Fuck Ampharos

Fuck Mega Gengar

... And fuck Froslass for making me waste 4 hearts trying to catch her despite her catch rate being over 50% :(

adroit

I'm guessing Kangaskhan or Lopunny are probably the best way to deal with the frozen panels? Those Eevees tossed into the fray should help mega-evolve them too.
My hunch is you won't be able to do enough damage without them being super-effective. But give it a shot and let us know if you manage to conquer it without coins. I did manage to beat stage 105 without coins (C rank).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was failing Zoroark (stage 129) over and over and my only consolation was leveling up some of my 'mon. I finally beat it with a C rank after countless tries. Didn't capture it, of course.

Because I refuse to use items on non-trainer stages, this game is starting to annoy me.

Good to know, thanks. Unless we have a concrete example of how XP works, EX stages probably are the best way to grind XP.

Chopper

Yup. It's always the same, so it has a set solution. To give a hint or two:
you want to use all the moves up without running out and having it reset, as that'll cause the blocks to disappear. So you only want to take out two columns at once a single time, not twice. You also only need to focus on the central row.
Thanks for this. Though I did just fail again twice. I'll have to keep thinking about it.

Ladekabel

Seems I got extremly lucky with Mega Mawile. Beat it in my second try without using any power ups.

Trying to catch some Mons I missed. But the RNG is annoying. One day I catch everything even if it is 5%, but the next day everything that isn't 100% will get away.

adroit

Game froze for the first time on stage 130. So that heart goes down the toilet. Thanks, Genius Sonority! [angry fist-waving emoticon]

zroid

Banned
RIP Mega Mawile :)

got it on my 5th try (no coins), and my 2nd try using Mega Kangaskhan. Lopunny didn't work too well.

zlCfzTDl_Xo5uBQLgK

zlCfzTDmAPAQuFl-pF

adroit

RIP Mega Mawile :)

got it on my 5th try (no coins), and my 2nd try using Mega Kangaskhan. Lopunny didn't work too well.
That's great to know! When I hit a wall I'm going to go back and give that guy another shot without items...for science!

TeegsD

Man, i beat Mega Mawile on my 3rd try but I haven't been able to catch many mons. Just got to lvl 100 so think Im gonna go back now and catch as much as I can that i missed and do more of the EX stages. Really loving this game thus far, nice little time waster in between League matches or during some TV

Elija2

Goddamn, the Ampharos stage is so long but your chance of catching it is so low. Makes grinding a pain in the ass.

Boba2007

Finally got to stage 150, I think I might go back and catch some pokemon I missed and do the EX stages before I beat it though, just doesn't seem very easy right now.

Does anyone know how to get mega stones for some of the non-boss pokemon? It shows that Absol has a mega stone and I neeeeed it.

zroid

Banned
Finally got to stage 150, I think I might go back and catch some pokemon I missed and do the EX stages before I beat it though, just doesn't seem very easy right now.

Does anyone know how to get mega stones for some of the non-boss pokemon? It shows that Absol has a mega stone and I neeeeed it.

serebii has a list of all the currently available mega evolutions http://www.serebii.net/shuffle/megaevolution.shtml

i guess they're planning to add more gradually

So Eevee doesn't work with Mega kangaskhan. I just mached a set of 5 Eevee and my gauge didn't go up?

It does work but not always... for some reason. That skill is really odd. There are a lot of things in game that behave kind of weirdly.

TrickRoom

Got out of the first world now... boy am I behind on this. Not to mention my trigger-happy Trozei experience is preventing me from thinking most turns through.

It seems so far that the optimal method for any given turn is to swap the Pokemon so that a match-three happens at both sites. It's kind of funny because it's like a mirroring of the core concept of Pokemon trading.

adroit

Not to mention my trigger-happy Trozei experience is preventing me from thinking most turns through.
Shuffle has me interested in trying other match-3 games. I'm not really a "speed gamer", though. But at least Trozei doesn't force you to wait 30 minutes to try again. And it's only $7.99. So I'm tempted to try it even though the speed aspect might limit how far I can get before I hit the wall.
It seems so far that the optimal method for any given turn is to swap the Pokemon so that a match-three happens at both sites.
Most definitely! Match as many on both ends of the swap as possible. I love when I get the rare chance to blow up two large clusters on both ends.

adroit

Azriell

I ignored this thread forever because I thought this was Trozei or some other thing I don't care about. For some reason the other day it clicked and I remembered the f2p Pokemon game Nintendo announced. After checking in and realizing this was it, I downloaded the game.

Great f2p game. It's pretty amazing how well all of the mechanics and various elements gel. It's an example of a spinoff which uses its source material well. This game could be done with Mario, but it wouldn't make as much sense (catching Pokemon, team building, elemental weakness, etc).

BooJoh

I've only got Lucario and Absol out of the EX stages. It's really just a probability game on those ones.

I've finished with roughly 30 seconds left on the 2 minute ones multiple times and no luck, they still have a sub 20% capture rate (Maybe less?). Takes persistence I guess!

---

BTW I think the great ball being multiplicative is a bit of a mistake - it needs to be additive for me to ever use it again.

If my capture rate is around 50%, thus a great ball providing a big rate improvement, I could just as easily try the stage again and have a pretty great chance of capturing. No great ball used.

If my capture rate is much lower (5% - 15%), like on most EX stages, because the great ball multiplies the chance by two, my rate isn't going to get much better and there's a pretty good chance I will have wasted the great ball. No great ball used again.

I guess it can be useful for people looking for an instant "second chance" without having to replay the level, (chance to capture notwithstanding) but if you're trying to use your gold effectively I think there are better options.

It depends. I've been trying off and on for Dragonite, and the few times I managed to actually win the stage I used Coins. I'd say if you spend over 2500 coins on powerups and plan to do so again when you retry, that makes the Great Ball an excellent investment to get an extra try at double the catch rate with a lower coin cost and no heart cost.

zlCfzTDmOSUyvIe61N

Man, screw the EX stages. Even if I beat them, the odds of catching a Pokemon are practically non-existent.

If you can consistently beat a stage without using Coins, farming is just a matter of using one of your hearts on that stage whenever you play. That's how I got Absol and Rotom.

TrickRoom

My quest to find a copy of Trozei begins now.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about (eshop available) Battle Trozei, not the original NDS Trozei.

The original was also a "Panic" puzzle game, but the mechanics are completely different. It worked more like a combination lock puzzle where you had to line up 4 in a row.

Boba2007

The new Meowth stage is real nice, managed to get 3600 coins. I know I could have done better, will have to try again tomorrow.

Since I had the extra coins I decided to go for the final stage, managed to beat it with 9 turns left (used the +5 turns powerup).

Top Bottom