• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

You could try using a Mega that easily clears out hazards, even if it's not very effective like Audino. I tried this for a bunch of different Pokemon and it helped a lot, although you also have to have some luck when it comes to actually catching them.

Also you should definitely be using Haunter so that you get free hits when Gengar creates them.

I just tried a team with Mega Altaria, Haunter, Zoroark, and Absol. Lost both times, but I think I'll stick with it and see if I get any better with them.

I've fought Gengar over 50 times by now. It's pretty frustrating.

Edit:
Just tried two more times. First time I won with 3 moves left, which is decent (of course, I didn't catch Gengar). Second time I only did 40% damage. This new team seems to rely a lot on luck. If the disruption Haunters line up with my own, and if there are enough Altarias to set off the Mega early, then I have a pretty good chance. But I don't know if the chance of these events happening is any better than the steady damage of my all Dark team.

Anyone catch Gengar with a good team, or was it mostly luck?

BooJoh

Question, albeit a stupid one, but how do I check Pokemon's attack power?

Either tap on a Pokemon while on team selection (tap the Pokeball icon instead of just Optimize,) or tap the menu button on the main map screen (where the StreetPass dot appears) and tap Pokemon List.

Qurupeke

I just tried a team with Mega Altaria, Haunter, Zoroark, and Absol. Lost both times, but I think I'll stick with it and see if I get any better with them.

I've fought Gengar over 50 times by now. It's pretty frustrating.

Edit:
Just tried two more times. First time I won with 3 moves left, which is decent (of course, I didn't catch Gengar). Second time I only did 40% damage. This new team seems to rely a lot on luck. If the disruption Haunters line up with my own, and if there are enough Altarias to set off the Mega early, then I have a pretty good chance. But I don't know if the chance of these events happening is any better than the steady damage of my all Dark team.

Anyone catch Gengar with a good team, or was it mostly luck?

No Sableye? Gengar is weak to it so I guess it would make your life easier.

Boba2007

Uh... remember what I said about not wanting to know what the 15 second EX stages are like?

I tried fighting Entei. Lost the first try but beat it the second try. It's not necessarily difficult, but... I won with 2 seconds remaining. Want to know how much those two seconds increased the catch chance?
0%. That's right, and it only has a 1% base catch rate.
How are you even supposed to catch it :L

So yeah...
Hell. They're like hell
this is accurate.

I've got all the EX pokemon before it (except Blaziken) at least.

No Sableye? Gengar is weak to it so I guess it would make your life easier.

Originally I had Sableye but I was advised to use a Mega that had better clearing power. Altaria does a better job of breaking up the blocks and I try to get her to Mega immediately. But if her Mega doesn't trigger a lot of combos then it's all a waste. So far it's a 50/50 win rate, either winning by 2-4 moves or doing under 50% damage. Rarely anything in between. Doesn't seem as good as my other team with Sableye but I will stick with it for a few more Hearts,

Loptous

Uh... remember what I said about not wanting to know what the 15 second EX stages are like?

I tried fighting Entei. Lost the first try but beat it the second try. It's not necessarily difficult, but... I won with 2 seconds remaining. Want to know how much those two seconds increased the catch chance?
0%. That's right, and it only has a 1% base catch rate.
How are you even supposed to catch it :L

So yeah...

this is accurate.

I've got all the EX pokemon before it (except Blaziken) at least.
Did you use a +time bonus?
Because I'm pretty sure they don't count toward the catchability bonus.

Boba2007

Did you use a +time bonus?
Because I'm pretty sure they don't count toward the catchability bonus.

Nope, no bonuses. I'll try again in 10 minutes and see if I can get better than 2 seconds, but if that much time doesn't add any catchability I don't know how this is possible.

Boogiepop

Nope, no bonuses. I'll try again in 10 minutes and see if I can get better than 2 seconds, but if that much time doesn't add any catchability I don't know how this is possible.

If I'm remembering correctly it adds percentage for multiples of three for those 15 second ones. So if you did one second better you would've gotten some.

Loptous

Okay, that's weird.

I beat Suicune within 8 seconds and remember the catch rate increasing to +30% and I did manage to catch it.
So I don't see why Entei would be different considering all legendary dogs seem to follow the same format.

Edit:
If I'm remembering correctly it adds percentage for multiples of three for those 15 second ones. So if you did one second better you would've gotten some.
Now that's just really evil if true

ryseing

DLed this yesterday after seeing the 1 million players thing.

Man. Really liking it. Fun stuff, and F2P? Can't beat that.

Boba2007

That's... a pretty silly way of doing it, but ok.

Okay, that's weird.

I beat Suicune within 8 seconds and remember the catch rate increasing to +30% and I did manage to catch it.
So I don't see why Entei would be different considering all legendary dogs seem to follow the same format.

Yeah, just beat Entei with 8 seconds remaining as well. It actually increased to 41%, not 31. And thankfully I caught it.

So it's not super terrible after all, just have to do well.

Boogiepop

Okay, that's weird.

Edit:

Now that's just really evil if true

The worst part is that those aren't even the worst, IMO. Still have yet to beat Blaziken.

And I've officially whittled the catches down to just massive pains. In addition to Blaziken as mentioned above, there's Togekiss which I'm working on and seems the most doable, Zoroark which is also insane, and Xerneas which has been a pain as well. Still need to unlock the last two EX stages as well.

Sometimes it just feels like the catch rates in the game are biased towards 50% for any non-100% values. Does it feel the same to you guys, too?

It's like the exact opposite of the thing that semi-recent Fire Emblem games do with regard to accuracy.

Has anyone ever actually tried to,tally up the actual probabilities?

adroit

Is there a trick to S-ranking Grovyle (stage 72)? Or do you just have to get lucky? I Googled and found a suggestion to use Treecko (which does only 1/2 damage) to take advantage of the other Treeckos in the stage but I couldn't make that work either.

It's very frustrating to keep wasting hearts trying to S-rank this annoying stage. I hate F2P. Just let me buy the damn game! Yes, as a matter of fact I would like some cheese with my whine! XD

SalvaPot

Is there a trick to S-ranking Grovyle (stage 72)? Or do you just have to get lucky? I Googled and found a suggestion to use Treecko (which does only 1/2 damage) to take advantage of the other Treeckos in the stage but I couldn't make that work either.

It's very frustrating to keep wasting hearts trying to S-rank this annoying stage. I hate F2P. Just let me buy the damn game! Yes, as a matter of fact I would like some cheese with my whine! XD

You have to put theecko in the last slot so it triggers the combo from the start, this way you can beat it in 2 turns and get a higher chance to catch it. This also gives you an S rank.

adroit

You have to put theecko in the last slot so it triggers the combo from the start, this way you can beat it in 2 turns and get a higher chance to catch it. This also gives you an S rank.
Thanks, but it chooses the 'mon for each column randomly. I put Treecko in the last slot this time and it didn't assign it to any of the three starting columns.

The first time I tried it (earlier today) it did happen to put it in one of the columns so it started off with a match but I still couldn't clear it with an S rank. Ah, but I remember now it was the first column so it took down only one of the two walls. That's probably why it didn't help me S rank the first time I tried it.

If there is no trick, I just have to keep wasting hearts on this dumb level until I get lucky. Sigh. More cheese, please.

Switched my Gengar team to Mega Sableye, Haunter, Absol, and Zoroark. Won 3 times in a row with 1-3 moves left (but still didn't catch him). Sableyes mega move doesn't clear as much as Altaria's but it works decently enough when combined with Haunter's clearing power. I've played this Gengar level around 60 times now...

Boogiepop

Still no S-rank so I'll have to go back for it, but I caught Togekiss. Now I just need Zoroark, Xerneas, and Blaziken, and then to unlock the last two stages. Any hints here would be much appreciated. But I'm assuming I'm just going to have to keep plugging away at it.

Ryhian

Finally finished all 150 levels. Now just going back to catch the Pokemon I missed. I love this game. The f2p aspect allows you to play just enough without overplaying and getting burnt out. That is if you don't spend real money as I did not.

Sometimes it just feels like the catch rates in the game are biased towards 50% for any non-100% values. Does it feel the same to you guys, too?

It's like the exact opposite of the thing that semi-recent Fire Emblem games do with regard to accuracy.

Has anyone ever actually tried to,tally up the actual probabilities?
I think there might be confirmation bias going on of how common <50% chances are but maybe it rolls twice for some lower odds to make you feel lucky.

Alternatively the %ages could be completely meaningless (I'm remind of streetpass garden when it would say such and such a plant is 80% chance when it reality it was 0% because the seed shape you can see what not the seed for such a plant so it really was the other 20% chance 100% of the time).

Boba2007

They really need to make Great Balls cheaper, at least 1500 coins (half a gem). Had to use two great balls on Raikou, cause the first one failed even at 82% :(

Oh well, I only have 2 pokemon left that I can catch before I have to start getting S ranks.

Boogiepop

It took two tries with the Mega start on which was costly, but I finally got Zoroark, and with an S-rank too! Now I just need to get Blaziken and Xerneas, and then I have to head back for the ton of S-ranks I still need to manage (a rough count showed 44 left, geeze.)

-Horizon-

Still pretty slow at this. I caught pikachu at the 23/24 whatever stage it was. I did do the special stages for mew and 2 of the rotom forms. I'm surprised I caught mew.

Buneary was a punk though I'm sure that's nothing compared to the later stages.

Xemnas89

Well in my frustration with Mega Glalie I bought a Complexity -1 and used a jewel to get 5 extra moves. Part of me regrets it but I'm just happy to be past it now.

TrickRoom

Mega Mawile turned out to be easier than I expected. I barely beat it after a few tries, though, in a way that I doubt I'll pull off again.

I'll just take that victory and run.

Loptous

Any tips for S-Ranking Froslass?
It seems impossible to one-turn the stage.

I also wonder if Raichu's stage might require you to take the whole line to S-Rank
I'll probably test it when I get my hearts back today.

random25

So, finished off Mega Mewtwo Y...

And that's it? The game's over? Besides Extra stages and collecting every Pokemon?

I'm there at Mega Mewtwo Y right now. Not as frustrating as Mega Glalie but I'm still having a tough time delivering the final blows. Guess I know where to spend my remaining coins.

I'm there at Mega Mewtwo Y right now. Not as frustrating as Mega Glalie but I'm still having a tough time delivering the final blows. Guess I know where to spend my remaining coins.

Complexity -1, Mega Start, and Disrupt Spell (whatever the name is) helps.

I used the free Complexity -1 for it.

Finally beat Gengar! Just like with Zoroark, it was the last game before bed after days of trying (2 days at 30 tries a day for Zoroark, 3 days at 30 tries a day for Gengar). Setting Haunter definitely helped as with the Mega Sableye, Haunter, Zoroark, and Absol team I had an 80% win rate. Stages like these just take (a ridiculous amount of) time I guess.

Robin64

Mega Ampharos was annoying, but by ignoring the optimised Pokémon setup and instead taking in Eevee to get Mega Audino quicker, I was able to beat it on the final move. Then proceeded to catch the next two (Delibird and Misdreavous) with low rates. Good morning!

Shiggy

I feared the worst due to the game's pricing structure. But it's actually just like Candy Crush Saga: addictive fun that doesn't require any payments at all.

Spades

I feared the worst due to the game's pricing structure. But it's actually just like Candy Crush Saga: addictive fun that doesn't require any payments at all.

Agreed. I can't believe I've played it for over 12 hours. It's highly enjoyable, and IMO the IAP aren't intrusive (or necessary) at all. But (and I haven't yet), I'd be totally fine with dropping a few quid on some extra hearts if I had a burning desire to play for longer in one sitting.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I think I'm going to admit defeat and just use coins to get through Mega Glalie. His ice block disruption really is designed to be unfair. Add in the fact that you have to juggle 6 Pokemon (presumably 4 of which are super effective and 2 of which do ~22 per 3 match), and you've got yourself a stage that I'm nearly convinced was designed to force you to use coins.

I have gotten him to a sliver of health, but it really and truly was 100% luck. Skyfalls are the ONLY way to beat him without items, and even then, you are at the mercy of RNG. I've had rounds where huge skyfall chains have triggered yet still only done <50% damage to him.

So with that, once my 5 hearts are regenerated for the day, I'll be going all out on him and spending coins like a boss to move past that dude.

zroid

Banned
So I think I'm going to admit defeat and just use coins to get through Mega Glalie. His ice block disruption really is designed to be unfair. Add in the fact that you have to juggle 6 Pokemon (presumably 4 of which are super effective and 2 of which do ~22 per 3 match), and you've got yourself a stage that I'm nearly convinced was designed to force you to use coins.

I have gotten him to a sliver of health, but it really and truly was 100% luck. Skyfalls are the ONLY way to beat him without items, and even then, you are at the mercy of RNG. I've had rounds where huge skyfall chains have triggered yet still only done <50% damage to him.

So with that, once my 5 hearts are regenerated for the day, I'll be going all out on him and spending coins like a boss to move past that dude.

5uPYm.jpg

Qurupeke

Okay, I easily beat Mewtwo Y with complexity -1. Now time to S rank and catch the remaining Pokemon. Well, this will be tough...

Top Bottom