• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Mega Gengar is the type where you need to let more of him build up in order to be useful. You're not suppose to use him as soon as he appears like with other Mega Pokemon.

I do remember people were once saying Mega Gengar was bad when they got there. I guess people just needed to get the hang of him.

I'm not quite there yet though. I just got my butt kicked by Zoroark a few times. I think I can catch Dragonite with my party though, so I'm going for it right now. If I can catch Articuno too, I'm going to try my luck on Rayquaza.

I have no clue what I'm going to do with Keldeon though, especially as the deadline looms closer.

Kito

All that trouble capturing Togekiss and ...60 attack. I wish Bulbapedia would include attack in tables.

My hunt for another SE 70 atttack pokemon against Rayquaza continues. So far my team is Glalie [Lv5], Articuno and Haxorus. Is Dragonite easy?

RiggyRob

All that trouble capturing Togekiss and ...60 attack. I wish Bulbapedia would include attack in tables.

My hunt for another SE 70 atttack pokemon against Rayquaza continues. So far my team is Glalie [Lv5], Articuno and Haxorus. Is Dragonite easy?

You could try using a team full of Pokemon with Dragon types and the Dancing Dragons ability (increases damage done by any Dragon types in a combo).

Debs

I'm kinda sad that they reset the S,A,B,C ranking levels for the Special stages with the Rayquaza download. I've already S-ranked/caught all the Main and EX levels, and for the Special stages I just had to S-rank Pachirisu and the perfectionist in me would have been satisfied.

But now Keldeo is once again staring at me with a blank slot next to his captured indicator pokeball...

(I know they don't matter for anything at all... but still...)

Strange, mine haven't reset after the update.

-Horizon-

Got Keldeo phew. Had to use mega start and disruption delay and one great ball. But I got it. Now apparently its impossible to catch a pachirisu lol

Got Rayquaza pretty easily, Zorua was the one I was having trouble with for a couple days. Finally caught it at 27% whew! On to the next one!
Still need to catch Rayquaza on my PAL system.

alexein

all the ones you guys are having trouble i have catched them easily.
but i cant get togekiss, blaziken,heatran,xerneas and s rank 150 level.
i spent 2 days on milotic, sometimes i can beat heatran and togekiss but the rest nope

Chris1

all the ones you guys are having trouble i have catched them easily.
but i cant get togekiss, blaziken,heatran,xerneas and s rank 150 level.
i spent 2 days on milotic, sometimes i can beat heatran and togekiss but the rest nope
yeah I can't beat xerneas at all.. he's the only one I haven't managed to eat even once :/

Really tempted to just use a complexity -1, but knowing my luck I won't even capture him..

What's the best strategy for starting out? I'm at level 50 and I've just been plowing through since the Pokemon worth capturing are at the higher levels.

I also Optimize all my battles.

-Horizon-

Finally got Rayquaza and Pachirisu. Mega Altaria's ability to wipe 2 rows was better than Mega Glalie's V shape in my case at least to keep attack combos going.

Rayquaza's not hard to fight. I can at least get it down to about 10 turns left. I just need a lucky catch. I've been using Glalie (may try Altaria though to see how it compares), Articuno, Dragonite, and Azumaril, who I'll probably swap because lolOpportunist.

I still don't know what the fizzityuck I'm gonna do about Keldeon in time though.

I still don't know what the fizzityuck I'm gonna do about Keldeon in time though.

Mega Start, Disruption delay, and Extra Moves are your best friends for an S-rank. But, if you're at a level where you can't even beat the stage 3-4/5 times without these, perhaps just wait until you've gotten some decent 'mons later this week - especially Ampharos for this level.

hirokazu

Surprised that people are saying Rayquaza is easy. It has Onix-levels of bullshit HP, and after around 10 turns its disruptions become just as obnoxious.

It's not even a fun level because I feel totally pressured to beat it in under 10 turns, but it's totally down to luck.

Rayquaza is so much easier than Onix even with the disruptions. A lot of it comes down to if you have the right Pokémon at high enough levels though. But I was still able to beat it without fail on my old 3DS which is only up to Main Stage 95.

S ranking it is obviously much tougher than just beating it, but the disruptions aren't to the point of frustration.

I've finally got all the Main Stage Pokémon, that bloody Froakie probably took me almost 30 games to catch. At times I was cursing the game's RNG so much for consistently letting it escape, even with 20-30% catch rate. Finally got it with a 10% rate in the end.

Rayquaza RNG be trolling me. It's always been a one-shake-break everytime I try, regardless of capture rate...

Well, the number of shakes is a complete illusion anyway. It's a system with binary outcomes; there is no "almost winning," you either win or don't. Like slot machines. You can't "almost" win those either.

Well, the number of shakes is a complete illusion anyway. It's a system with binary outcomes; there is no "almost winning," you either win or don't. Like slot machines. You can't "almost" win those either.

Ive been meaning to point this out. I often see people say "I almost caught it" or "Damn it it got to 3 shakes that time!". It really doesnt seem to mean anything in this.

TrickRoom

Ive been meaning to point this out. I often see people say "I almost caught it" or "Damn it it got to 3 shakes that time!". It really doesnt seem to mean anything in this.

My remark was less about how it breaks out in terms of how "close" I get, and more about how it's dealt the same version of the "fail" outcome for about ten games now and counting. I fully understand how the animations are just there to provide flavor to a luck-based outcome; I'm just making a jab at how peculiar the RNG has been on me with this stage.

-Horizon-

Going into more detail: Caught Rayquaza with 16 turns left, team of Altaria (mega), Glalie, Azumarill, and Slurpuff. No items. Guess the RNG was with me that time because I just kept getting continued combos whenever I made my moves.

Try holding down b as hard as you can to increase your chances at capturing him.
I thought it was rapidly press A?

Chopper

Boom! Caught em all. Finally.

For Milotic, I found using both Feebas and Dedenne was key.

For Heatran, Mega Slowbro destroyed. Caught him at 17%.

I would jump into S-ranking the new stages, but that's gonna be expensive. I'll just grind Meowth for now.

S-ranked all 165 stages and captured everything with 38 hours on the clock exactly.
I'm freeeeeee!

zlCfzTLraqYqqt2-eW

(no I haven't noticed the undiscovered 17 mons and 3 Mega Stones in the Pokemon List yet, shhhhhh)

hirokazu

Well in the mainline Pokémon games, the game actually makes a decision at each shake whether the Pokémon should break out or not. Do we know the actual logic process for catching Pokémon in this game, or are we basically just guessing?

Man besides EX stages I can catch anything on the Special side...missed the Mega Lucarionite tho because I didn't have a good team at the time. But Ampharos of all things really has it out for me...20+ moves left and no capture...great ball on top of that at 84%...no capture...threw my n3DS...
Into a soft pillow on my bed...then I wept silently...

I really wish it was easier to catch EX mons tho...they are ridiculous...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally starting to feel burned out. Trying to catch Mewtwo is a pain & it's a grind to level up Pokemon just to MAYBE get a better shot.

Maybe I'll just keep doing daily check-ins & wait for more stages to happen.

Well in the mainline Pokémon games, the game actually makes a decision at each shake whether the Pokémon should break out or not. Do we know the actual logic process for catching Pokémon in this game, or are we basically just guessing?

Does it? I always thought it was determined as soon as you threw the ball. That's interesting; it gives more credence to the "almost made it" text in the games.

JoeM86

Does it? I always thought it was determined as soon as you threw the ball. That's interesting; it gives more credence to the "almost made it" text in the games.

Yep, there are four calculations for it.

One when you throw the ball, then one after each shake. If it passes the calculation, then it moves to the next.

Critical capture halves this and just has the initial and a single shake.

Yep, there are four calculations for it.

One when you throw the ball, then one after each shake. If it passes the calculation, then it moves to the next.

Critical capture halves this and just has the initial and a single shake.

Do note that the shake check as we know it really started in Gen 3; Gen 2 fudged shake checks only on failure and Gen 1 didn't really do anything like that at all.

Also, in Gen 5, there are only three shake checks; Gen 6 returns it to four, but the formula is tweaked so that you'd get the same overall probability as Gen 5. (Due to this, catch rates in Gen 5+ are likely to be higher under the exact same conditions)

And, finally, to correct one bit: critical captures always result in one shake check being conducted. The first shake always occurs in such captures. Note that the above "tweaked formula" property causes CCs to be more effective than it was in Gen 5 because it skips 75% of the checks instead of 66.7%.

I'm inclined to believe that the shakes in this game are operating on a combination of listed percentage, skew towards 50%, and some Gen 2-style shake checking for failures...

Either way, unless the shake mechanic is in which would potentially mess with the actual listed percentages, I don't really pay much attention to shakes here beyond flavor.

Top Bottom