• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

Of the 15 EX stages I've unlocked, only Moltres and Blaziken remain undefeated. I need a water mega.

This is obvious advice, but can be so obvious that it just doesn't occur to people. It took me way too long to actually think "wait, hang on a minute..."

In those short stages, anything 30 seconds and below, you don't have time to evolve a Pokémon. In that case, don't waste your first slot on something which isn't super effective, just take something strong and super-effective. Basically, "optimise" is really bad on those stages because it will always place a Mega in that first slot even if it's not super-effective.

I saved up all my jewels and traded them in for the 80ish hearts (dont remember the exact number) spent about all of them on Mega Gengar....Anyhow, Now I am at Mewtwo Mega evolution and, frankly, I find the mega gengar skill to be pretty useless. Oh well, enjoying this more then I thought I would for a free game

I saved up all my jewels and traded them in for the 80ish hearts (dont remember the exact number) spent about all of them on Mega Gengar....Anyhow, Now I am at Mewtwo Mega evolution and, frankly, I find the mega gengar skill to be pretty useless. Oh well, enjoying this more then I thought I would for a free game

If you'd spent all your jewels on coins instead, you could have beaten Mega Gengar in a single heart in about five turns, and had 40,000 coins left over!

The Mega Gengar skill is godly if you just avoid matching them as much as you can.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The Mega Gengar skill is godly if you just avoid matching them as much as you can.
THIS THIS THIS. There's some Mega Pokemon like Slowbro & Gengar that aren't meant to be matched as soon as they appear. If anything, AVOID matching them so the board can get filled with them & they'll be much more useful.

I do feel like Mega Slowbro can is more useful than Mega Gengar is though. If you have just a little fill, putting a Slowbro on top of another Slowbro can be just enough to tear up the board. Gengar needs more to be put in for filling. I guess it's nice because it leaves more pieces behind which can possibly do more combo damage. And if you have pieces locked behind barriers it's guaranteed to work vs. with Mega Slowbro. The final big bonus is that Mega Gengar seems to activate way faster than Mega Slowbro, presumably because its base power is higher.

So I guess they both have their uses and are both hella useful. But generally I'd rather have Mega Slowbros power on my side.

Also, was I the only one that broke and looked up a guide for Haxorus?

Kito

This is obvious advice, but can be so obvious that it just doesn't occur to people. It took me way too long to actually think "wait, hang on a minute..."

In those short stages, anything 30 seconds and below, you don't have time to evolve a Pokémon. In that case, don't waste your first slot on something which isn't super effective, just take something strong and super-effective. Basically, "optimise" is really bad on those stages because it will always place a Mega in that first slot even if it's not super-effective.

I've done this before but completely forgot. Thanks.

BooJoh

Also, was I the only one that broke and looked up a guide for Haxorus?

I tried it once before looking up the solution. If I could retry as much as I want I'd have kept trying to get it on my own, but with the BS heart system there's no way I'm wasting my hearts on Pokemon with a single solution.

Xenoboy

zlCfzTModvYxw4c1WZ

I can't believe I got it.

Cuburt

Just beat Mega Glaile without items.

Took about 8 tries probably and used two tries with multiple items.

It felt so impossible trying to fight against the ice barrage by breaking them. Items didn't seem to help enough, disruption delay gave only a little bit of an edge until it wore off, and all the pokemon effects/effectiveness didn't seem to help.

The only thing that I think allowed me to do it was watching a no items playthrough on YouTube and see how the guy went after more chain matches than bigger matches on the initial move. It changed my thinking on what type of move is a "smart" move in this game, ie. going for 3 chain matches is better than finding a 4 in a row and 3 in a row initial matches that only clear a vertical section and don't set up more chains as you go along.

I always go for the "agitating" moves, like L shape and crosses. Basically moves that shake things up by drops multiple lines at different rates. It seems to be a great way to create combos that you don't expect. I also love using Mega's that do this like Sableeye, Glalie, and Mawile. I just wish those pokemon grew a little faster, especially Mawile.

I just went back to Mega Glalie to see if I could beat it without items and got it down to a sliver of health without even doing that well.

I'm not sure if they secretly nerfed it in an update or if it's just my team being much stronger than it was back then, but it certainly doesn't feel like difficult now where before it felt impossible. Still can't imagine you can S-rank it without items though, unless all your Pokémon are level 10 legendaries or something.

Qurupeke

Any advice for Blaziken? The fact that there's no water, rock or or ground mega doesn't really help... Should I catch Milotic first?

Any advice for Blaziken? The fact that there's no water, rock or or ground mega doesn't really help... Should I catch Milotic first?

You don't have long enough to evolve a Mega. Just take four strong super-effective Pokémon. If you've got one with Quake or something to delay disruptions then make sure you use it.

This will sound like stupid advice but take it slow. Moving stuff around like crazy won't get you anywhere. What you want to do is start a combo and then keep matching for as long as possible. Be planning a move ahead. You want to get into a rhythm so that you know how long you have to match without the combo expiring and already be finding your next match while you're making the last one. You still have to be quite quick, obviously, but keeping the combo up is going to serve you better than making loads of matches with big gaps between every few. I think that makes sense.

It's actually not that hard a fight with a strong-ish team. It doesn't have a lot of HP.

Kito

Without items, I consistently manage to get Mewtwo Y down to lower HP, about 15-20%, using Mega Kangaskhan rather than SE ones (Sableye, Gengar). I'd prefer Mega Lopunny's ability but its attack's too low. Not spending any coins until the next competition's over.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Milotic's stage is designed in such a strange way: if you don't use any kind of boost that affects your battle directly, you're destined to see lots and lots of "No other combinations possible! Rearranging the icons...", and it's quite frustrating. And I think there's only one way to do the level without spending anything: Feebas. It's not that effective agaisnt Milotic, but it works fantastically as a way to break all those ice blocks and let the Pokémon flow...heck, right from the start! Thanks to Feebas, I obtained to beat Milotic.

I even got Milotic despite a 19% catch rate, but that's another story

Without items, I consistently manage to get Mewtwo Y down to lower HP, about 15-20%, using Mega Kangaskhan rather than SE ones (Sableye, Gengar). I'd prefer Mega Lopunny's ability but its attack's too low. Not spending any coins until the next competition's over.

I should start using something that's not Gengar, he just doesn't seem that effective on this particular stage. I was mainly using him for Mega Mewtwo Y because he Megas so quickly. I think even Sableye might be more useful because at least Sableye clears blocks. There's so many barriers though that its probably more worthwhile to use Kangaskhan or Altaria for their clearing power.

Like you I'm still not quite ready to spend cash.

Kito

There are no 70 attack ground-types for Raikou and I cba to level up Donphan, Marowak, Stunfisk to the 70s. I'd still need a 4th ground-type anyway and only weaklings like Cubone are available.

n64coder

Any tips for Mega Gengar would be nicw.

Unless you've got four super-effective Pokémon at level 7+ (at least) just use items.

I second this advice. I just beat it this morning by using a disruption delay and a mega start. Then it was a piece of cake. I also spent 2500 coins to get a great ball since I failed to catch it at 49%. All in all, it was somewhat expensive but fortunately, I still have 60K+ gold and 15 jewels.

Qurupeke

Ugh, I think I've left the worst things to S and catch. The last few Megas, some fire Exes and the first new main stages+Milotic. A real rogue gallery.

bjork

Got Keldeo yesterday. Still working on other stuff, but it's been a busy couple of days so I haven't played as much.

I second this advice. I just beat it this morning by using a disruption delay and a mega start. Then it was a piece of cake. I also spent 2500 coins to get a great ball since I failed to catch it at 49%. All in all, it was somewhat expensive but fortunately, I still have 60K+ gold and 15 jewels.

You're talking about a different stage. The Mega Gengar level is different to (and much harder than) the normal Gengar level.

Moltres was tough, but Blaziken is the Expert stage that keeps beating me down. Between that and Mega Mewtwo, I've just been going back and getting more S clears.

hazukash

I still can't beat Mega Gengar. I refuse to spend money on it. I'm trying to S rank all the other stages preceding it because I'm so tired of replaying that awful stage over and over again. Only Mega Ampharos and Mega Glalie left, and Yveltal is the last expert Pokémon I haven't caught excluding Mewtwo. Any tips for an item-less run for Mega Ampharos/Glalie?

I think I'll stop playing once I reach and beat Mega Mewtwo Y as it's the original final boss. Shuffle is the only game I'm playing right now on my 3DS and I want to move on to something else.

Top Bottom