• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

I've given up on this now :(
It's a shame as I have the Lucario and Blastoise stones (which could've gone to somebody else) and caught and S-ranked everything prior to the latest update but... I'm just not having fun anymore.

Seeing some of the stages now and realising there's likely to be hundreds more and imaging how difficult they'll become... yeah, no thanks.

I'm looking forward to Puzzle and Dragons though, liked the demo a lot.
What did you guys think of it?

Loptous

Caught Genesect without items
14 seconds left = 21%
Team was Aerodactyl (5) Heatran (5) Moltres (7) Aurorus (9)

Only thing I remember is that I was able to combo without much interruption.
Also learning to recognize mons behind smoke (some bits stick out for most of them) really helps.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
UUGGGGHHHHH, I missed getting a S-rank on Milotic by about 2 moves, & this is after using +5 Moves, Mega Start, and Distortion Delay. If I just got lucky with matching Mega Ampharos as soon as it started instead of having it reset the board, I probably could've done it....

Chris1

It's a shame as I have the Lucario and Blastoise stones (which could've gone to somebody else) and caught and S-ranked everything prior to the latest update but... I'm just not having fun anymore.

Seeing some of the stages now and realising there's likely to be hundreds more and imaging how difficult they'll become... yeah, no thanks.

It's gotten easier for me, the first wave of extra stages was tough but the second wasn't that bad, I managed to do all without items on first try most of the time..... Was surprised to see people having trouble with it on here.

Just started playing, I'm currently at stage 15. Any tips for a beginner besides not wasting jewels on hearts? I tried taking down Groudon but is impossible so far, I guess I'll skip out on these legendaries for now...

Halabane

Its just starting to be a grind. No real tactics just RNG.

Played the JPN version of Puzzles and Dragons...you are in for a treat.

Its just starting to be a grind. No real tactics just RNG.

There's elements of luck and randomness right from the start, but to say there's no tactics is really unfair on the game. Even before you start the level you've got to choose your Mega, which can have a huge difference depending on how quickly it evolves, or how strong it is, or what it's Mega Effect is. Then you've got to choose your team, going for strength or skills or both depending on the quirks of the stage. Then there's plenty of skill in the gameplay as well, looking for combos, etc. A skilled played would see a four or five match combo that an unskilled player simply wouldn't. Obviously beyond that, luck comes into play, but there are moves you can make which make your chance of combos higher than other moves. Good tactics will see a good player have a fucking ton more success than a poor player.

The balance of luck and skill is excellent in this game, and it's why it's such a good free-to-play title.

I had trouble finding the demo last night... Where is it?

Chris1

I think they're easier to beat, but harder to S-rank

Yeh sounds about right, I found them easier to beat but S ranking them feels near impossible without items(and by items i don't mean moves +5.. unless I'm just bad :().

The first set of new stages were a joke, I had to use items on onyx and I'm not ashamed to say it. What a ridiculous stage that... Have still yet to beat him legit.

I don't mind if they carry on that trend, easy to beat and hard to S rank. That seems somewhat fair to me, the expert stages should take some skill to unlock.

How do I beat Mightyena? Its being very annoying. :(

I used Mega Lucario/Xerneas/Heracross/Bulldog (Snubble? can't think of his name) to S-rank

You have to mega evolve before he starts to tossing those various shaped unbreakable blocks. I believe it's after move 14 he starts doing that, I played that stage so many times I should know it by heart. You need a Mega that can destroy those blocks to clear up space to make chains, Lucario isn't ideal due to being worthless with vertical matches but his type outweighed any other options I found.

Kito

I've just discovered that Shuffle uses Battle Trozei's pokemon avatar/icons. That's where Serebii's list was getting future ones from.

I'm 2 stages away from finishing all of the normal stages so far. It'll be my first time being "caught up" with that. I still have the extras to do though, and a decent amount of catches.

Feebas, Ampharos (mega), Dedenne and someone else. They might need levelling up a little bit but that party can take Milotic down. If you can clear the top row of barriers in the first couple of turns, the rest of the battle is really easy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh man, got lucky & just barely S-ranked Shuppet without any items. Now the only stages left to S-rank are Mega Mewtwo, Bagon, & Mega Aerodactyle. Time to grind for coins once again.

Sucks I only got 400 coins from weekend Meowth today....

RiggyRob

Woah! How does this work? Any tips/footage? Do you use a mega start?

Using coins on a Mega Start on a stage designed to give you coins seems a bit strange to me. Moves +5 works because you get an extra 5 chances to match coins and get combos for a reasonably cheap price, Mega Start would seem a bit unintuitive to me.

The idea with Mega Gengar/Mega Mewtwo is that their Mega effects act as a pseudo-Complexity -1, meaning there's less Pokemon in the area and a better chance of making combos, therefore more coins. Using Pokemon with the Quirky/Quirky+ ability works in the same way.

octopiggy

Using coins on a Mega Start on a stage designed to give you coins seems a bit strange to me. Moves +5 works because you get an extra 5 chances to match coins and get combos for a reasonably cheap price, Mega Start would seem a bit unintuitive to me.

The idea with Mega Gengar/Mega Mewtwo is that their Mega effects act as a pseudo-Complexity -1, meaning there's less Pokemon in the area and a better chance of making combos, therefore more coins. Using Pokemon with the Quirky/Quirky+ ability works in the same way.

Ok. So you need to focus on mega evolution initially?

Is there a list of how quickly different pokemon mega evolve?

Loptous

Woah! How does this work? Any tips/footage? Do you use a mega start?
Nope.

The only thing you need to do is try to get as many 3+ chains as possible which will make Meowth spawn more coins every time you succeed.
Even better, if Meowth spawns coins and it results in a 3+ chain, he'll spawn more coins again, and that can happen several times in the same turn.

L shape, T shape and + shape matches already give you 2 chains, so if you can move the remaining token to make another match somewhere else, that's an easy way to get Meowth to spawn coins.

Be sure to match 5 coin tokens together whenever you can as that earns you 500 coins.
Otherwise, focus on matching pokemon tokens or making chains, and let coin tokens fill up the screen. It's easier to get Meowth to produce more combos by himself this way and you'll get better rewards as well.

-Horizon-

Feebas, Ampharos (mega), Dedenne and someone else. They might need levelling up a little bit but that party can take Milotic down. If you can clear the top row of barriers in the first couple of turns, the rest of the battle is really easy.

It took me two more tries but I finally got passed Milotic with 3 moves remaining without items. Didn't catch it but whatever. Screw off Milotic, you and your stupid disruption ability. Like what the heck is that even lol

Chopper

In my five turns this morning, I bumped into Spinda twice (failed to catch twice), Cherubi twice (caught) and Carvanha once (failed to catch).

The randomness of this is gonna annoy me.

Robin64

Ran into Carvanha, Sharpedo, Cherubi twice, and Spinda.

Doesn't seem so bad. We're only seeing a few, so it's easy enough to take in a super-effective team for the ones you need. And they're only 3-Pokemon stages, too, so a bit easier anyway.

CassSept

The combos you can get on these stages are insane. Of course they also take less than a minute per stage with a bad catch rate.

octopiggy

This is going to be frustrating. I felt like all 5 of my tries went well but didn't catch a thing with my 5 lives.

Saw a Cherrim, 3 Spinda and a Cherubi.

I guess once you know what you have left to catch you can then optimise your team at least.

Het_Nkik

Got a Cherubi and a Spinda in the US version and just a Cherubi in the Japanese version.

The Carvanha stage seems the hardest. I didn't encounter a Sharpedo in either version.

Spades

The Carvanha stage seems the hardest. I didn't encounter a Sharpedo in either version.

Yup. I've got nowhere near beating him in three attempts this morning.

Edit: Just beat him, but only just - with 0 moves remaining. 5% catch rate. Didn't catch him.

Top Bottom