• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

Loptous

I trained Mismagius and Misdreavus for half a day to level 5 (against Ampharos with a few exp x1.5), and managed to beat Giratina!50 without items.

It's not foolproof (probably works only 1 out of 5 times), requires grinding (1 or 2 days if you're not using exp 1.5) and some luck but here's the setup I used :
Mega Banette (7) Misdreavus (5) Mismagius (5), Absol (8)

Basically, what I'm trying to accomplish is to never let Giratina do any disruptions.
At the beginning, you want to Mega evolve Banette as fast as possible while doing combos at the same time (Note: never move Banette physically if you can, so you have a chance to activate the other tokens' skills)

At the same time, you want to stall Giratina as much as possible.
Absol's skill is great because it resets the disruption counter of an enemy (and it's hilarious on stuff like Ampharos because it can be resetted to 15 turns). Its activation rate isn't that high (maybe 30~40% with a match-4 and 60~70% with a match-5), so disruptions might still happen.
Misdreavus and Mismagius are here for that as well. They can block the counter for 2 turns (I believe?) which is nice if I don't have enough Absol tokens at the moment.
Finally, Banette is used to get rid of ghost tokens and start chains, so I can have more Absol tokens as well.

It was great when it finally worked and managed to stall Giratina from beginning to end, but some things can ruin it :

-Activation rates. They're good enough with match-4 but you'll eventually get hit by a streak of bad luck which might lead to...
-Giratina using one of its disruption which causes the 4th column to be changed into indestructible blocks. While it can be a big annoyance if it's used in the beginning, it doesn't really matter because you're aiming to Mega evolve Banette. It can easily ruin the run if used later on though, when you're counting on chains to deal damage.
-Shaymin : They tend to pile up if you don't match them, which means less Absol tokens in general.

And that's pretty much it.

Also, I just gave my Mega Speed Boost to Banette, to make it easier to reach level 60
I just want to see what they'll be thowing at me there

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's not really difficult, I think the lowest I've gotten in terms of moves left was always around 8 to 10. Level 50 itself, however, damn....

......is actually really easy with Mega Start, Distortion Delay, & Attack Power Up. Hell, don't think I needed the +5 moves. Though it helped my team was Lv. 6 Banette, Lv. MAX Gengar & Yveltal, & Lv. 3 Giratina.

Edit: BLEH. I honestly don't know if I want to bother with aiming for Lv. 100. You basically need 6500 coins to afford the 3 items I mentioned above, & that's a TON of grinding since you'll have to spend that much each time....

Chris1

Ugh, don't feel like grinding Giratina all the way up to lvl. 50. >-> You guys think it's worth it, do you?

Go for 50 then stop imo. 1-49 is incredibly easy and you'll get mega start/DD along the way. use both of those for stage 50 to get the mega speedup.

We don't know how rare mega speedups are going to be and considering how helpful they are (due to being permanent), I'll try to get all that I can.

RiggyRob

It's not really difficult, I think the lowest I've gotten in terms of moves left was always around 8 to 10. Level 50 itself, however, damn....

......is actually really easy with Mega Start, Distortion Delay, & Attack Power Up. Hell, don't think I needed the +5 moves. Though it helped my team was Lv. 6 Banette, Lv. MAX Gengar & Yveltal, & Lv. 3 Giratina.

Edit: BLEH. I honestly don't know if I want to bother with aiming for Lv. 100. You basically need 6500 coins to afford the 3 items I mentioned above, & that's a TON of grinding since you'll have to spend that much each time....

You don't need to bother with Mega Start and Disruption Delay, Attack Power Up is enough for level 50 to (I'm guessing) 60, I've been using a team of Mega Banette, Chandelure, Spiritomb and Mismagius and I've finished with 3/4 moves left when using Attack Power Up.

Who is everyone using their Mega Speedups on? Gengar seems an obvious choice as you can only use 1 for it anyway, just wondering who the next best choice would be.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmmm, well, Attack Power Up is 3000 coins. Not AS bad, but still of a grind. That can take about 10 plays of the Meowth stage, assuming you're lucky enough to get 330 coins each time.

But still, not sure I wanna deal with all that grinding for another 50 levels. Kind of want to focus on the last two Pokemon (198 & 200) to capture & get S-ranks on.

Loptous

Ugh, don't feel like grinding Giratina all the way up to lvl. 50. >-> You guys think it's worth it, do you?
50 is totally worth it.

You don't need to bother with Mega Start and Disruption Delay, Attack Power Up is enough for level 50 to (I'm guessing) 60, I've been using a team of Mega Banette, Chandelure, Spiritomb and Mismagius and I've finished with 3/4 moves left when using Attack Power Up.

Who is everyone using their Mega Speedups on? Gengar seems an obvious choice as you can only use 1 for it anyway, just wondering who the next best choice would be.
Slowbro / Lucario and maybe Blastoise seem like good choices.
I really like Aerodactyl too, but I must be the only one here.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Problem with Aerodactyl is it's hard to find stages where he's both super effective AND his Mega Effect is helpful as well. It's usually one or the other.

But yeah, first Mega Speedup was used on Gengar since he only needs one, but then used the other on Banetta just because of how often I was using him lately.

Part of me kind of wishes you could buy more (or at least so many) via coins earned in the game.

Chris1

I don't think using it on Gengar is a wise choice, it'll only take it down to 10 pokemon matches, which is still going to require 4 matches for most people (1 match of 4 & 3 of 3, or 4 of 3). Using it on gengar seems like a waste, unless you can get 2 matches of 4 before it mega evolves and considering how quick it mega evolves, that doesn't seem worth it especially since you'd mostly use him in situations where you need him to mega evolve ASAP, so setting it up for two four matches seems a bit counterproductive.

Pokemon/ Clears required to Mega Evolve & how many speedsups they can hold:
Mega Gengar 11 - 1
Mega Audino 12 - 3
Mega Lucario 14 - 4
Mega Venusaur 15 - 3
Mega Kangaskhan 16 - 8
Mega Lopunny 16 - 8
Mega Slowbro 18 - 2
Mega Blastoise 19 - 4
Mega Glalie 19 - 6
Mega Mawile 21 - 7
Mega Sableye 22 - 8
Mega Altaria 22 - 6
Mega Aerodactyl 23 - 7
Mega Mewtwo Y 23 - 5
Mega Ampharos 24 - 7
Mega Banette 27 - 8

Banette seems like a good choice, would be great for weekend Meowth and you can being his matches to evolve down to 19. Personally haven't used mine yet, going to wait and see just how rare they are, and wait for someone else to do the math for which is better.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Mega Venusaur can hold 3 Mega Speedups.

& good point, Banette or Mewtwo would be good choices to put Speedups on because it'll help for Weekend Meowth.

Chris1

Mega Venusaur can hold 3 Mega Speedups.

& good point, Banette or Mewtwo would be good choices to put Speedups on because it'll help for Weekend Meowth.
Yeah, I don't think Aeodactyl is a good choice either because as you said there's very few situations where he's both super effective and his mega ability is useful, I would think you're better off just buying a mega start for him, than wasting speedups. If you waste speedups you're wasting matches on a non effective pokemon most of the time, which can be counter productive compared to just matching it once to get rid of blocks.

Banette/Mewtwo/Ampharos look the best on paper imo, but will also require a lot more speedups before they are useful.

I've edited in speedups for venusaur, thanks for the list of pokemon to match btw, I stole it from a post of yours a few page back :)

RiggyRob

I ended up using both of the Mega Speedups I had on Banette - I figured since I'm using it to get to level 100 on Giratina and it comes in handy for Meowth, it's a worthy investment.

The ice in Level 31+ can get tricky. Had to switch from MGengar to MSableye (don't have MBanette) to keep going. I agree that Misdreavus/Mismagius have helpful abilities for minimizing disruptions (Misdreavus is usually my fourth).

Loptous

Problem with Aerodactyl is it's hard to find stages where he's both super effective AND his Mega Effect is helpful as well. It's usually one or the other.
The thing is, I think his skill is good enough even without being super effective.
Maybe you aren't taking into account the fact that every destroyed blocks adds an additional 50 damages? For what's it worth, it's been quite useful for me against mons most people find difficult (like Timburr / Regirock), and it is absolutely gdlk against Snorlax for training purposes with any team.

Mega Banette or Mewtwo aren't going to do much against indestructible blocks, on the other hand, (and I think Gengar is better than the former at least) so having one mega for those situations is better imo

But to each his own I guess...

Is Mega Banette best for weekend Meowth? I've been using Gengar all this time.
I prefer Gengar, because :
1) He mega evolves faster. You're probably wasting 5 more turns with Banette until he becomes useful
2) He's more predictable since you know which tokens will be removed.

I'm probably biased since I've had better results with Gengar.
I suppose playstyle plays a lot into it. If you can read some moves in advance, Gengar is better, while Banette seems to rely a lot more on luck.

I trained Mismagius and Misdreavus for half a day to level 5 (against Ampharos with a few exp x1.5), and managed to beat Giratina!50 without items.

It's not foolproof (probably works only 1 out of 5 times), requires grinding (1 or 2 days if you're not using exp 1.5) and some luck but here's the setup I used :
Mega Banette (7) Misdreavus (5) Mismagius (5), Absol (8)

Basically, what I'm trying to accomplish is to never let Giratina do any disruptions.
At the beginning, you want to Mega evolve Banette as fast as possible while doing combos at the same time (Note: never move Banette physically if you can, so you have a chance to activate the other tokens' skills)

At the same time, you want to stall Giratina as much as possible.
Absol's skill is great because it resets the disruption counter of an enemy (and it's hilarious on stuff like Ampharos because it can be resetted to 15 turns). Its activation rate isn't that high (maybe 30~40% with a match-4 and 60~70% with a match-5), so disruptions might still happen.
Misdreavus and Mismagius are here for that as well. They can block the counter for 2 turns (I believe?) which is nice if I don't have enough Absol tokens at the moment.
Finally, Banette is used to get rid of ghost tokens and start chains, so I can have more Absol tokens as well.

It was great when it finally worked and managed to stall Giratina from beginning to end, but some things can ruin it :

-Activation rates. They're good enough with match-4 but you'll eventually get hit by a streak of bad luck which my lead to...
-Giratina using one of its disruption which causes the 4th column to be changed into indestructible blocks. While it can be a big annoyance if it's used in the beginning, it doesn't really matter because you're aiming to Mega evolve Banette. It can easily ruin the run if used later on though, when you're counting on chains to deal damage.
-Shaymin : They tend to pile up if you don't match them, which means less Absol tokens in general.

And that's pretty much it.

Also, I just gave my Mega Speed Boost to Banette, to make it easier to reach level 60
I just want to see what they'll be thowing at me there

I'm on Lvl 60 with a similar strategy (probably 1 in 6 hearts for success)

zlCfzTczY2Q7lf3pNA

M Gengar/Yveltal/Giratina/Absol

It really becomes a chess match trying to set up a match 4 for Absol before the counter reaches 1. That's the only team I had success with outside of one match I triggered Power of 4+ four times and won with luck. I don't think ever won where the opening move divides the board in half with the unbreakable blocks.

Level 60 continuous divides the board with unbreakable blocks and is always the first move.

Loptous

I'm on Lvl 60 with a similar strategy (probably 1 in 6 hearts for success)

zlCfzTczY2Q7lf3pNA

M Gengar/Yveltal/Giratina/Absol

It really becomes a chess match trying to set up a match 4 for Absol before the counter reaches 1. That's the only team I had success with outside of one match I triggered Power of 4+ four times and won with luck. I don't think ever won where the opening move divides the board in half with the unbreakable blocks.

Level 60 continuous divides the board with unbreakable blocks and is always the first move.
Damn damn
Way ahead of me.

I might have to switch one of the Mis- with Giratina as I'm lacking power and winning a lot less than I'd like to (I did win once with the unbreakable blocks though). I guess I'll train them a bit more and see if I change my plans.

@Chess comment : ikr XD

That doesn't sound fun.

Had lvl 60 not open with dividing the board blocks. Had in four times in a row now it opened with the normal 3 barriers. I hope it's just bad luck and not flipping the odds of that disruption from 50-59. Or will lvl 61 start a new pattern?

I pumped the Mis-dou up to lvl three and brought one and didn't have it trigger once. Sad times. I'll try later with more hearts and a few more Ampharos under their belts. I used Mega Venasaur during that flukey Power of 4+ win so I might try switching Megas, I think I had Zoroark to make up the power difference with Absol. It's been a while but I believe that was what pushed me over for win 51.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anyone got S-rank tips for stages 198 & 200? Still grinding for coins (+ wanna make sure I get enough for a Great Ball) but wanna make sure I go in prepared & see if there's any strategies now that more people have made it to those stages.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh cool, know of the reddit group, but never saw that post. I'll have to try their strategies. Even more helpful is knowing the exact amount of coins needed.

Cofagrius was an absurdly easy S-Rank. Black clouds only matter in timed stages.

I thought Reuniclus would be tough but I S-Ranked it with 8/30 moves left.

CassSept

Unless some annoying disruptions are included Ghost/Psychic stages go smoothly, once you get Mega Gengar the combos just go on and on and on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
UUUGGHHHHHHHHH. So I discovered Mega Mawile is MUCH better for stage 200 because you can deal with vertical matches compared to Mega Lucario who's meant for horizontal.......& then I missed the S-rank by ONE DAMN MOVE. Least I know I don't need to grind for -1 Complexity, but still, UUUGGHH.

It also kind of helps to bring Kyogre as well along since he has Rock Break.

Loptous

The more I train my team, the worst I perform against Giratina ughhhh

I switched Misdreavus with Giratina, and it seems to be about the same.

One thing I want to take back is that you actually should match Banette by moving it in the beginning, since its skill allows it to evolve faster.

I'm sure it's been mentioned a lot already, but the aggressiveness of the disruptions on Articuno is pretty dumb for just being EX4 considering the ease of the stages immediately before and after. Not burning a disruption delay on it out of principle, but honestly wtf, just so annoying to S rank

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Mega Mawile is probably the most helpful since you can match vertically or horizontally. It's much harder to use, say, Mega Lucario because he's only useful if you match horizontally, which is harder to do.

Otherwise, optimize. Kyogre & Bronzong will be helpful since they have Rock Break & Block Smash, respectively.

Mega Mawile is probably the most helpful since you can match vertically or horizontally. It's much harder to use, say, Mega Lucario because he's only useful if you match horizontally, which is harder to do.

Otherwise, optimize. Kyogre & Bronzong will be helpful since they have Rock Break & Block Smash, respectively.

For block bash I'm using Keldeo. As Mega I was trying Blastoise as Lucario wasn't cutting it. I will try Mawile now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
.......-_-

I shouldve actually assumed that

ty
Don't worry, I thought the same at first, then discovered for myself it didn't count. Though THANK GOD because I don't want to even attempt getting S ranks on stages like Mewtwo & Genesect.

For block bash I'm using Keldeo. As Mega I was trying Blastoise as Lucario wasn't cutting it. I will try Mawile now.
My Keldeo is only Lv. 4 (attack 68) while my Bronzong is Lv. 7 with 84 attack power. Either way, after the wood blocks, there'll be iron blocks, so having both of them will help out.

Edit: FREAKIN' HELL, 2 moves short of S-rank. I think I'm gonna have to give in & get a -1 Complexity as well. Uuuuuuuuggggggghhhhh.

Hmm...

I'm consistently beating Mewtwo EX now...

I guess I've come really far! Now to try plopping in some actual items for the next try for actually catching it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Cool, beating Victini again results in 200 coins. Just barely managed to beat him with my team that I want to use against stage 200.

I took a team of Potential Megas into Victini today and went from level 2 to almost 6! Makes up for all the shitty experience I've been getting from Giratina all week.

Level 50 doesn't seem like it'd be as hard as you guys made out. Haven't beaten it without items but pretty regularly get within 10%.

Chris1

Still haven't caught victini :(

Hmm...

I'm consistently beating Mewtwo EX now...

I guess I've come really far! Now to try plopping in some actual items for the next try for actually catching it.

Holy shit you weren't joking, my first try I was only a handful of matches off beating it, before I couldn't even get it half hp.

It's funny going back to all the expert stages you had trouble beating earlier, only to beat them with ease.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
FINALLY S-ranked stage 200 on exactly 15 moves left....but of course didn't catch it so BACK TO COIN GRINDING.

Yveltal is so much easier with Mega Lucario... beating him consistently now with no items (even pulled one off at 0 seconds). Haven't caught him yet.

Mewtwo is still all sorts of annoying even with a level 7-8 team.

Level 50 wasn't hard the first two times: he iced everywhere but I got him relatively low. So I used Attack Power and Moves+5 to be safe...

...and first turn he splits half the board with unbreakable blocks. I guess he uses different disruptions based on your items? Luckily Shaymin isn't resisted, so I beat the stage with 6 turns left.

Loptous

...and first turn he splits half the board with unbreakable blocks. I guess he uses different disruptions based on your items? Luckily Shaymin isn't resisted, so I beat the stage with 6 turns left.
Nah, it just has several patterns that it uses randomly.
First, it can throw one (rare) or two (common) waves of disruptions.
And those disruptions are either 3 to 5/6(?) barriers (common) and those unbreakable blocks (uncommon), always in the 4th column.

Also, I think Caddywompus' team is actually the best for this without items.
Gengar proving that it really is the best Mega.

JoeM86

Caught Victini today thanks to a Super Catch Chance...at least in my EU game. My Japanese game is still without Victini.

The EXP boosts sure are nice, though

Top Bottom