• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
between the delayed vote, "the hill" saying 25 are a no with another 33 "on the fence" and only the ability to lose 23 votes, i hope it goes down in flames whenever they do bring it up.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GhaleonEB said:
Oh, Boehner.

Debating between making a delayed Boehner vote or a Boehner having limp support. Decisions, decisions.
Too bad they aren't debating about having a premature Boehner vote.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
GhaleonEB said:
Oh, Boehner.

Debating between making a delayed Boehner vote or a Boehner having limp support. Decisions, decisions.

One could say Boehner could not get his cocks in a row

besada

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Curious. Most demographics I have seen is that the Tea Party heavily skews white, male, older, educated and wealthy.

You should probably look at them again, then, since they skew lightly male and white, but are generally representative of the population as a whole.

ToxicAdam said:
As somebody who was cognizant through the Reagan/Bush years, you should know better.

I'm sorry, I thought we were having a discussion about right now, not events thirty years past. And could you direct me to the time liberals shut down the government rather than allowing the debt ceiling to be raised. I was, in fact, alive then, and I dont seem to remember that.

Anymore false equivalences you'd like to draw, or should we just skip straight to the part where everyone's being unfair to you?

GhaleonEB said:
Oh, Boehner.

He truly has a hard decision. Vote now and shoot his load or make sure he has the votes for total satisfaction.

reid was smart to emphasize that the boehner bill will not pass the senate. if the tea party republicans think the bill has no chance, they have no incentive to vote for it. they are better off doing a protest vote against the bill to appease the tea party people, to at least score some political points out of it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
balladofwindfishes said:
Something about his right hand being too tired or whatever

I had a pun in there somewhere, but it wasn't worth posting.
Sounds like you pulled out of the joke early.

thekad

Banned
ronito said:
Man, it looks like Boehner just can't push it through.

boehner-flags-chagrined-fullwell-cropped-proto-custom_24.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Frank the Great said:
reid was smart to emphasize that the boehner bill will not pass the senate. if the tea party republicans think the bill has no chance, they have no incentive to vote for it. they are better off doing a protest vote against the bill to appease the tea party people, to at least score some political points out of it.

Yeah if I was a tea party congressman I'd put in my vote as a no for straight protest then post that shit on Twitter.

DasRaven

Sen. Reid clearly smells blood.
"The Senate stands ready to defeat the Boehner plan whenever House Republicans can get their act together."

Patrick Klepek said:
Guess we're rooting for the Tea Party at this point? Strange times.
Hardly. It's just amusing how GOP cannot control the monster it created. This is establishment GOP vs teaparty. Regardless, the bill is DOA on the senate floor.

I wonder if Boehner and Cantor are surprised that Reid hasn't caved in with this particular bill and passing a short term increase. Yes he and Obama have caved on nearly everything else but I wonder if they're stumped that Reid and Obama haven't caved on this.

I kinda think this is a show for the tea party, to make it clear they held out as long as possible before voting for the bill. If not...wow. Remember this wouldn't be the first time Boehner failed to get votes; same thing happened with TARP

mckmas8808

DasRaven said:
"The Senate stands ready to defeat the Boehner plan whenever House Republicans can get their act together."

Reid needs to SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Vestal

DasRaven said:

Its two fold.. He smells blood, and at the same time he is throwing vile towards the Teabaggers basically telling them why should I vote for this if its not even gona stand in the senate.

Plinko said:
Just saw the poll about how Obama is losing the general election poll by 8 points among independent voters. Not good.
As long as idiot "independents" want to reward the GOP for being irresponsible dumbfucks, the GOP will make it their mission to be irresponsible dumbfucks.

mckmas8808

polyh3dron said:
As long as idiot "independents" want to reward the GOP for being irresponsible dumbfucks, the GOP will make it their mission to be irresponsible dumbfucks.

And that's exactly what the independents will do. I wish people could really get outraged over this issue.

Jonm1010

Banned
Plinko said:
"Generic republican."

I know--not the same. But he's lost almost ten points with independent voters in 2 months. I wonder how it will change with the debt deal.

Generic candidates have no flaws and you can project whatever you want onto them. Real candidates, they have flaws, measurables to weigh and perceptions that can be concluded.

Wake me when Romney or a leading candidate is 10 points ahead of Obama in mid 2012.

Bishman

For some reason, I get the feeling that Obama will look like a mastermind genius by the end of this.

We either get Reid's bill or a clean bill before August 2nd.

mckmas8808

Could We Solve the Debt-Ceiling Crisis With Trillion-Dollar Coins?

a_190x190.jpg

Here's one way out of the debt-ceiling impasse, courtesy of well-known Yale constitutional-law professor Jack Balkin:

Sovereign governments such as the United States can print new money. However, there's a statutory limit to the amount of paper currency that can be in circulation at any one time. Ironically, there's no similar limit on the amount of coinage. A little-known statute gives the secretary of the Treasury the authority to issue platinum coins in any denomination. So some commentators have suggested that the Treasury create two $1 trillion coins, deposit them in its account in the Federal Reserve and write checks on the proceeds.

We don't know, this proposal seems kind of ... bizarre. Why mint two trillion-dollar coins when you can just mint a single two-trillion-dollar coin? Other than that, it's perfect.

######################

lol wat? How is this even a real story? I bet that coin with Obama's head on it would make the Tea Party go crazy.

It looks cool as hell lol.

Averon

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2011/07/whip_it_good_2.php?ref=fpblg

Whip It Good

Dispatches from the Capitol via our reporters and others' indicate a steady stream of Republican Members of Congress -- who are already announced "No" votes on the Boehner plan -- being summoned to the Speaker's office.

On his way in to the Speaker's office, Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX) -- a strong "No" vote -- said he had been called to the principal's office. On the way out, Gohmert said he was still a "bloody, beaten down no."

And so it goes as the House leadership tries to wrangle enough votes.

It's reminiscent of the Part D Medicare prescription drug vote back during the Bush days, when the House vote was kept open for hours while leadership cajoled, threatened and bartered to get it passed. But this time they've held off on starting the vote until they know they have enough Members on board to pass it.

The way this is playing out, it's not an overstatement to say Boehner's speakership is on the line here.

Bishman said:
For some reason, I get the feeling that Obama will look like a mastermind genius by the end of this.

We either get Reid's bill or a clean bill before August 2nd.

Obama's infamous 11th dimensional chess at play?

Drakeon

Plumbob said:
Wouldn't the trillion dollar coin proposal cause massive inflation, or am I missing something?

I don't think so, not if you don't produce them en mass and just produce the two it talked about.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
mckmas8808 said:
lol wat? How is this even a real story? I bet that coin with Obama's head on it would make the Tea Party go crazy.

It looks cool as hell lol.
Didn't Mr. Burns have a trillion dollar bill in a Simpsons episode?

So in Boehner's view of the debt crisis, "I need to make an empty political statement!" is currently beating out "maybe I should craft my bill in a way that I can get a few dozen democrats on board and maybe we could pass something that would actually matter."

Fearless leader, indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom