• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan's open defiance of Speaker John Boehner's efforts to solve the debt-ceiling crisis could cost the Urbana Republican his safe seat in next year's election.

Two Republican sources deeply involved in configuring new Ohio congressional districts confirmed to The Dispatch today that Jordan's disloyalty to Boehner has put him in jeopardy of being zeroed out of a district.

"Jim Jordan's boneheadedness has kind of informed everybody's thinking," said one of the sources, both of whom spoke only on condition of anonymity. "The easiest option for everybody has presented itself."

Jordan's rural 11-county district, which has a 60 percent Republican voter index, "is easy to cannibalize because it stretches so far," said the other source.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...ck-coming.html

I can completely see this happening. I'm in his district and it's big. It could easily be split between 3 other Reps with little damage. Plus, it would put us back in a district with all of the other counties in our region (we are currently completely split off from them).

OH04_109.PNG

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wonder how the tea party will respond to being "redistricted" out?

Also...

4avL6.png

If anybody wants to photoshop that so he 'stands at attention", it would be perfect.

mckmas8808 said:
Could We Solve the Debt-Ceiling Crisis With Trillion-Dollar Coins?

a_190x190.jpg

Here's one way out of the debt-ceiling impasse, courtesy of well-known Yale constitutional-law professor Jack Balkin:

Sovereign governments such as the United States can print new money. However, there's a statutory limit to the amount of paper currency that can be in circulation at any one time. Ironically, there's no similar limit on the amount of coinage. A little-known statute gives the secretary of the Treasury the authority to issue platinum coins in any denomination. So some commentators have suggested that the Treasury create two $1 trillion coins, deposit them in its account in the Federal Reserve and write checks on the proceeds.

We don't know, this proposal seems kind of ... bizarre. Why mint two trillion-dollar coins when you can just mint a single two-trillion-dollar coin? Other than that, it's perfect.

######################

lol wat? How is this even a real story? I bet that coin with Obama's head on it would make the Tea Party go crazy.

It looks cool as hell lol.
holy fuck that would be awesome

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
mckmas8808 said:

a_190x190.jpg

Here's one way out of the debt-ceiling impasse, courtesy of well-known Yale constitutional-law professor Jack Balkin:

Sovereign governments such as the United States can print new money. However, there's a statutory limit to the amount of paper currency that can be in circulation at any one time. Ironically, there's no similar limit on the amount of coinage. A little-known statute gives the secretary of the Treasury the authority to issue platinum coins in any denomination. So some commentators have suggested that the Treasury create two $1 trillion coins, deposit them in its account in the Federal Reserve and write checks on the proceeds.

We don't know, this proposal seems kind of ... bizarre. Why mint two trillion-dollar coins when you can just mint a single two-trillion-dollar coin? Other than that, it's perfect.

######################

lol wat? How is this even a real story? I bet that coin with Obama's head on it would make the Tea Party go crazy.

LOL...my reaction was the same as the one who said, "Wouldn't this cause huge inflation?"

Jonm1010

Banned
mckmas8808 said:

a_190x190.jpg

######################

That picture will end up completely out of context in a Tea Party chain letter in about a month.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jonm1010 said:
That picture will end up completely out of context in a Tea Party chain letter in two days.

Fixed that for you.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jonm1010 said:
That picture will end up completely out of context in a Tea Party chain letter in about a month.

Yeah that's why I said the picture will drive them nuts. I can see them already saying that the coin is real and that the DEMs want them circulated in order to increase spending.

This is all hilariously tragic.

Though I'm pretty Boehner will eventually get the votes he needs even if he has to promise hookers and blow to a half-dozen teabaggers.

Jonm1010

Banned
Byakuya769 said:

That could be a blessing in disguise. Cantor steps in, shows just how fucking crazy he and the tea party are(if the debt ceiling thing wasnt enough) Democrats make significant gains next year. Obama gets re-elected. profit??

Frank the Great said:
reid was smart to emphasize that the boehner bill will not pass the senate. if the tea party republicans think the bill has no chance, they have no incentive to vote for it. they are better off doing a protest vote against the bill to appease the tea party people, to at least score some political points out of it.

That's exactly what has happened:

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said he was unconvinced by the "very respectful" appeals of the House GOP leadership, adding he is still a "bloodied and beaten-down 'no.'"

"It's been a tough week for those of us who have said, 'Harry Reid said it was 'dead on arrival' in the Senate--why are we compromising with ourselves?'"

Reid finally did something politically smart. And Boehner was dumb enough to create a "compromise" bill that has zero Dem support. He should have at least thrown some bones to the Dems to pressure a few of them to vote for it. As it stands now, it's an easy "No" vote for the entire Dem caucus.

Jonm1010 said:
That could be a blessing in disguise. Cantor steps in, shows just how fucking crazy he and the tea party are(if the debt ceiling thing wasnt enough) Democrats make significant gains next year. Obama gets re-elected. profit??

Cantor being third in line in succession is pretty terrifying on it's own.

mj1108

Jonm1010 said:

A month? I wouldn't be surprised if it was already in their Teabag Times newsletter.

Trouble

Banned
Was I being overly paranoid for moving my entire 401k into a no-risk cash fund yesterday? Are they really going to sit back and watch the markets crash?

Choabac said:
Wouldn't creating those coins cause a massive spike in inflation?
Yes, that's how hyperinflation happens. When governments try to print money to pay debts they destroy their currency and the wealth of their citizens.

Deku

Banned
mamacint said:
How could that be any worse than the consequences of defaulting?

There won't be a default. Printing that trillion dollar coin would break so many taboos and political retraints to growing the money supply, it could well return the US economy to the bad old days of stagflation, where you have high unemployment and high inflation.

That happened a little before most GAffers were born so we sort of take low interest rates for granted. My boss like to talk about 20% prime rates and trying to get a mortgage on that.

Trouble said:
Was I being overly paranoid for moving my entire 401k into a no-risk cash fund yesterday? Are they really going to sit back and watch the markets crash?

A week ago I would've thought "no fucking way,"

Now?...

Deku said:
There won't be a default. Printing that trillion dollar coin would break so many taboos and political retraints to growing the money supply, it could well return the US economy to the bad old days of stagflation, where you have high unemployment and high inflation.

That happened a little before most GAffers were born so we sort of take low interest rates for granted. My boss like to talk about 20% prime rates and trying to get a mortgage on that.

Getting a bit tired of inflation boogeymen...

Celsior

Trouble said:

Yes, that's how hyperinflation happens. When governments try to print money to pay debts they destroy their currency and the wealth of their citizens.
I invested into moderate risk 3 days ago, markets have not been good to me.
Lost 225 bucks in 2 days, thought the market hit its low fuck.

slit

I can't believe the GOP keep playing political theater over Boehner's bill. It's not going to get through the senate. So then what? They try to compromise? The GOP can't even get this monstrosity through. You think The GOP is going to pass Harry Reid's watered down version of Boehner's bill?

Deku

Banned
mamacint said:
Getting a bit tired of inflation boogeymen...

Not really a bogeyman, its a basic principle of economics. If you simply pay your bills by printing money, you increase the amount of money chasing the same amount of goods and services, since you technically did not have economic growth/productivity growth, just a money supply growth.

Now, as the reserve currency, the US have advantages that other currencies do not have, but only so much. Increasing money supply in the US tend to also export inflation overseas, such was the stagflation phenomenon of the 70s and early 80s, granted most welfare states printed money in quantities as it was the prescribed keynesian antidote to the economic slowdown at the time.

slit said:
I can't believe the GOP keep playing political theater over Boehner's bill. It's not going to get through the senate. So then what? They try to compromise? The GOP can't even get this monstrosity through. You think The GOP is going to pass Harry Reid's watered down version of Boehner's bill?

Yep. Even if this bill passes, the House has demonstrated nothing else whatsoever is going to pass there. You can forget about any watered down or compromise bill getting through.

At this point, I'm not sure what the end game is here.

It really does seem Obama is going to get a clean bill at the last possible second because there no longer seems to be legislative path to get a deal done.

Deku

Banned
The Chosen One said:
Yep. Even if this bill passes, the House has demonstrated nothing else whatsoever is going to pass there. You can forget about any watered down or compromise bill getting through.

At this point, I'm not sure what the end game is here.

It really does seem Obama is going to get a clean bill at the last possible second because there no longer seems to be legislative path.

I don't think anyone knows.

There's probably some certainty that the debt ceiling will be raised either by Obama or the Senate taking Boner's bill and adding a whole bunch of stuff to it and the House somehow managing to pass it without TP support.

The recriminations and political spin will happen Aug 3rd. The GOP is just making sure they have as many angles covered as possible.

I'd give chance of default at 10% :)

slit

tokkun said:
Yes, but it will be passed with Democrats in place of the Tea Party Republicans.

I would agree, but I don't know how Republicans can do that without creating a civil war within the party. Boehner is scared to death of the Tea Party caucus. If he goes against them they will scream for his head.

Jonm1010

Banned
slit said:
I would agree, but I don't know how Republicans can do that without creating a civil war within the party. Boehner is scared to death of the Tea Party caucus. If he goes against them they will scream for his head.

Which if thats the case, I wonder how he plays a bill returned from the senate to him for a vote.

Does he do the right thing and work on a coalition of moderate republicans and democrats to pass it to the president? Or does he cave in to what will no doubt be almost violent opposition by the tea party against any deal with Democrats and Obama?

Honestly, in pretty much any scenario Boehner, I feel, loses.

He passes it with a coalition - his own base buries him.

He kills it by rallying the troops against it - the public may bury him and democrats get to blame the entire thing on him and give themselves an out for more extreme measures (see: constitutional approach). not to mention he gets the tag as being an ineffective leader.

11 step chess game indeed.

Allard

Jonm1010 said:
Which if thats the case, I wonder how he plays a bill returned from the senate to him for a vote.

Does he do the right thing and work on a coalition of moderate republicans and democrats to pass it to the president? Or does he cave in to what will no doubt be almost violent opposition by the tea party against any deal with Democrats and Obama?

Honestly, in pretty much any scenario Boehner, I feel, loses.

He passes it with a coalition - his own base buries him.

He kills it by rallying the troops against it - the public may bury him and democrats get to blame the entire thing on him and give themselves an out for more extreme measures (see: constitutional approach). not to mention he gets the tag as being an ineffective leader.

11 step chess game indeed.

He passes it. Being a congressman is one path of life but he will lose all his donors and probably all his business friends if he lets the country default. He has to choose between staying leader of the house (and even that is not a guarantee, he still might get voted out as leader for some his other comments during this whole thing and he will likely lose his seat thanks to business people trying to vote someone else in) or losing everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom