• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggus

Hootie said:
FUCK that. I get the max amount Pell Grant and I need every damn penny of it.
Same... I won't be able afford to finish school without that grant. I have too many loans to worry about already so the Pell grant is crucial. :/

Fuck the Tea Party. And fuck my generation for being too god damn lazy to vote against them and their horseshit ignorant hypocritical ideals. I'm glad I live in a town/state that doesn't lean in their direction, but it's infuriating that their stupidity has such an adverse effect on all of us.

Jeels

Shit's been bad for my family these past few months money wise (my dad owns a small store), and without pell grants partially funding my education, I don't really know what's going to happen. Back the fuck off my pell grants republicans.

Jeels said:
Shit's been bad for my family these past few months money wise (my dad owns a small store), and without pell grants partially funding my education, I don't really know what's going to happen. Back the fuck off my pell grants republicans.

affordable education for many would undermine the fundamental illogicality and corruption of the government because an educated populace sure as shit would not take what is happening to us on a daily basis.

want to consolidate power? relegate education only to those you want in power

Jeels

Alpha-Bromega said:
affordable education for many would undermine the fundamental illogicality and corruption of the government because an educated populace sure as shit would not take what is happening to us on a daily basis.

Makes sense, it's easy to recognize what's going on here. I am appalled that the American public is not throwing the Republican party under the bus. I dream of democrats capturing a majority of both parts of Congress and the Presidency in 2012, but that obviously won't happen. (Hell, at this point I'm starting to doubt Obama will even win 2012).

Kusagari

Alpha-Bromega said:

I actually went to freerepublic to see what the tea party nutjobs thought of this. I found this brilliant response.

"Let them rot if they're too lazy to work their way through school."

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Averon said:
The longer this debt fiasco goes on, the lower his approval goes. And it's clear he's not just bleeding independents. He's bleeding liberals and progressive as well.

That is why the Republicans want this whole shit to repeat in 6 months.

I'm reminded of the movie Airplane! right now and the Tea Party.
"They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. *Stares straight into the camera* I say, let em crash."

The cynic in me says we deserve all this crap.

Averon

quadriplegicjon said:
That is why the Republicans want this whole shit to repeat in 6 months.

Yup. Make Obama start off the 2012 election season with benefit cuts. Piss off liberals and independents, thus, making it that much harder for him to win. In addition, the GOP can continue to "starve the Beast". They hit two birds with one stone.

Jeels

quadriplegicjon said:
It's insane, both sides can have good ideas. This complete partisan bullshit is disgusting.

Sorry I guess, I at one time called myself a conservative, and I still believe we need to cut funding in specific areas (at this time mostly military/defense/etc), but the modern Republican party is not conservative. It is religious wing nut, anti minority, corporate money grubbing trash.

I do agree though that any decent individual has good things to contribute to a conversation.

I guess some of the things I say do come off as "partisan", but my opinions have developed for a reason.

Godslay

Banned
Kusagari said:
I actually went to freerepublic to see what the tea party nutjobs thought of this. I found this brilliant response.

I worked a full-time job while going to school full-time. Even if you do two years at a JuCo, in many cases you still need additional money to get by. When you move up to a four year school, the need becomes even greater. You can literally work your ass off, but still need the money simply because the likelihood of landing a job without a degree that will pay for the college you are attending is unlikely.

It almost seems like the teabaggers want to cut off any chance of moving vertically in society without having the money to do so. You would be crazy to cut off loans for education, as this is one of the greatest investments a society can make.

Kusagari said:

....People like that just make me utterly angry.

Godslay

Banned
Bluth said:
A much better one.

Sure, the job creators super class would have been overly taxed, jobs would have been lost, and Gore would have been a one term job killing machine. We needed tax relief not a better world. We got exactly what was needed and we are reaping the rewards as we speak.

eznark

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
What a joke. Every time people talk about those light bulbs you always hear "but but but they light like neons!!", which is bullshit. Read the package, it says the kind of lighting on it. I replaced all my lights years ago and it has the same exact warmth as before.
Teach me ( brand, style, etc.)

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Jeels said:
Makes sense, it's easy to recognize what's going on here. I am appalled that the American public is not throwing the Republican party under the bus. I dream of democrats capturing a majority of both parts of Congress and the Presidency in 2012, but that obviously won't happen. (Hell, at this point I'm starting to doubt Obama will even win 2012).
Democrats had everything on 2008, but when the GOP started acting like raging assholes, they refused to take a hardline stance until it was too late.

eznark said:
Teach me ( brand, style, etc.)

I have Bright Effects Soft White bulbs (got em at Lowe's, they're pretty cheap too) throughout my house with a few incandescents here or there as well. You simply cannot tell them apart. At all.

The only real difference I've noticed is that for the first dozen hours or so, they are slightly dimmer when you first turn on the lights. This lasts about 2-3 minutes. But after a while they are full intensity as soon as you turn them on.

Jeels

It almost seems like the teabaggers want to cut off any chance of moving vertically in society without having the money to do so. You would be crazy to cut off loans for education, as this is one of the greatest investments a society can make.

To them making any investment is bad, facts, logic, and reason don't matter.

"Every civilization that has ever existed has ultimately collapsed." - Dr. Henry Kissinger.

So you are going to come in here with a quote but have nothing to say at all? The quote doesn't really fill in any details of what you are getting either.

Democrats had everything on 2008, but when the GOP started acting like raging assholes, they refused to take a hardline stance until it was too late.

I agree, they definitely pansied out.

Zzoram

Wait, are they actually going to cut the existing level of Pell Grants, or is this still talk about cutting the addition of more Pell Grants?

GOP: Hey guys, we're close to a bill!

Harry Reid: Nuh uh!

Top congressional Democrats and Republicans disagreed Saturday over whether any progress was being made on a deal to raise the nation's debt ceiling and avoid a potentially catastrophic default.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, and House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, held a 4 p.m. ET afternoon press conference in which they both said a deal was close. Two hours later, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, asserted the claims of his Republican counterparts were simply "not true."

The Republicans are holding "meaningless press conferences" and "refuse to negotiate in good faith," Reid said. "The process has not been moved forward during this day."

Is there a way to impeach congress?

Godslay

Banned
Jeels said:

I understand. Rhetoric is more important than logically arriving at a sound solution in today's politics.

worldrunover said:

Haha they can't even agree if they're making progress or not.

2qmp5z9.jpg

worldrunover said:

If the GOP continues to keep saying "We're close to a compromise"

When it comes out that there was no compromise ever being discussed, they can pin it on the Democrats.
Over the last 3 years, the GOP has absolutely mastered the art of deceiving language and propaganda. It's almost sad that they can make people believe up is down and a piece of pie is going to murder your grandma.

Jeels

Godslay said:
I understand. Rhetoric is more important than logically arriving at a sound solution in today's politics.

One of the last things we should be cutting is an investment in the future. I mean, pell grants fund our future business, future engineers. What with all this hub bub about needing talent, innovators, discovering new technologies, leading the way into new industries. This is on top of just every day research/investment, and just training our future workforce to not excel but just simply be competitive.

If Pell Grants DO go though, maybe that will wake up the college crowd to show up in droves for the 2012 elections. I fear there will be enough far right spin to somehow blame it on Obama though.

Over the last 3 years, the GOP has absolutely mastered the art of deceiving language and propaganda. It's almost sad that they can make people believe up is down and a piece of pie is going to murder your grandma.

:(

bob page

MiDNiGHTS said:
Haha they can't even agree if they're making progress or not.

2qmp5z9.jpg
The Republicans are just going to the media to say they're making progress to look like the good guy, the guy that's actually trying to get things done. Then, once the Dems deny the claims, they will get the bad rep because it'll imply they're halting the progress.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Jeels said:
This. The Republican party in general has been extremely against any legitimate investment in our own country for quite a while now. It's all about doing anything and everything to stop the US from moving forward, whether in terms of education, energy, infrastructure, etc. They want us to be perpetually stuck in the past.

Godslay

Banned
Jeels said:
One of the last things we should be cutting is an investment in the future. I mean, pell grants fund our future business, future engineers. What with all this hub bub about needing talent, innovators, discovering new technologies, leading the way into new industries. This is on top of just every day research/investment, and just training our future workforce to not excel but just simply be competitive.

If Pell Grants DO go though, maybe that will wake up the college crowd to show up in droves for the 2012 elections. I fear there will be enough far right spin to somehow blame it on Obama though.

I completely agree with you. We can't really sit idle while the rest of the world catches up or surpasses us in the area of education. I really wish we had technocrats in office.

Measley

Meanwhile....

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Texas Gov. Rick Perry said Saturday he supports a federal limit on gay marriage and thinks a creator put life on Earth.

http://news.yahoo.com/perry-backs-constitutional-limit-marriage-181232617.html

Nice to know that in these times of trouble, conservatives are worried about the important stuff.

Comments;

Rick Perry would be the best choice for president than any who are running now. Texans, stand up for this man and the great job he has done for this great state. All other states are looking for jobs and the people are coming here because we have some. I support a president who is not afraid to admit he is a Christian.

We're so doomed....

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Jeels said:

Sorry Jeels, endless war is more important in Washington than investment in America's future. Or to them are they the same thing? :O

Measley said:

Did his pray event thing happen yet? If so, how did that go?

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) isn't saying why both sides aren't any closer to a debt deal after a day filled with feverish negotiations Saturday, but Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) spelled it out during a floor speech Saturday night.

The sticking point for Dems, Kerry said, involves detailed negotiations over an enforcement mechanism that would require Congress to act on entitlement and tax reform by a date certain or faces the consequences. Democrats want to ensure that such a trigger does not simply mandate severe spending cuts, but also includes tax increases -- the so-called "shared pain" Democrats have cited lately.

So far, the "or else" has focused on a trigger that would slash spending across the board -- including for entitlement programs like Medicare, a near-sacred program for Democrats, as well as to defense spending, which Republicans historically have sought to protect. One of the models for the so-called trigger goes back to the Reagan era when, in 1984, Congress passed the Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Balanced Budget Act in 1984, which included a trigger imposing draconian across-the-board spending cuts unless hard-and-fast deficit reduction goals were met.

Back then, during the Cold War anti-communist fervor, Republicans were dead-set against cuts to defense spending so the threat of an across-the-board cut that included slashing defense spending was the equivalent of "shared pain." Fast forward to 2011, however, and that threat no longer packs the same punch. Tea Party conservatives are eager to draw down U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and don't believe that nation-building is helping efforts to combat al-Qaeda or international terrorism.

So Democrats want to ensure real leverage and are demanding that any so-called trigger include revenue raisers.

Another simpler trigger, Democrats say, would simply impose the proposal put forward by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), which would allow the President to raise the debt ceiling with Congress only able to disapprove of the move with a two-thirds majority vote in both chambers. McConnell would have a tough time opposing a plan he suggested such a few short weeks ago, Democrats argue.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...rats-sticking-point-in-debt-talks.php?ref=fpa

Averon

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2011/07/rumblings_7.php?ref=fpblg

Rumblings

I'll very much believe it when I see it. But there has been an escalating chorus on the Dem side over the course of the day that if there's no agreement reached, President Obama should invoke authority under the 14th Amendment to continue paying the federal government's obligation after August 2nd.

I do not think it's at all likely to come to fruition. But in such a volatile climate as we're likely to see over the next 48 hours, all developments are worth noting.

In regards to the low Obama approval rating and his chances on re-election:

Isn't it possible that there's a gigantic distrust and disapproval in politicians in general, and that the 40% approval rating of Obama, is accompanied with an even worse (say 30%) approval rating of any possible republican candidate for Presidential election?

At least, I hope so.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Averon said:

Section 4 of the 14th Amendment was created for situations just like this: a party majority in Congress holding the debt hostage asking for demands. I'd rather Obama evoke it and deal with the aftermath than sign a shitty deal that does more harm than good, regardless if it raises the debt ceiling.

At this point do people here believe the US interest rate will still be saved if a deal is made before August 2nd or has the damage already been done?

Invoking the 14th could also shitcan our AAA rating. While I support its use, the ramifications could be quite disgusting with republicans attempting to either challenge the decision or impeach the president. I could also see them refusing to work with Obama for the rest of the year.

Still, I would prefer that over a shitty "compromise"

A Human Becoming said:
At this point do people here believe the US interest rate will still be saved if a deal is made before August 2nd or has the damage already been done?
There are already talks behind close doors about what do with what if nothing gets done by Tuesday by the banks and investors. Shit is already hitting the fan

ezekial45

Banned
Souldriver said:

Isn't it possible that there's a gigantic distrust and disapproval in politicians in general, and that the 40% approval rating of Obama, is accompanied with an even worse (say 30%) approval rating of any possible republican candidate for Presidential election?

At least, I hope so.

Yeah, that's my thinking too. Depending on how this plays out, i see him getting his approval rating back up.

I think people are just starting to panic cause of the crisis we're in now, and that he's been in conflict with the GOP for so long. I still see him getting reelected. Especially, when you consider his competition for the presidency so far. However, it was smart of Romney to keep his mouth shut about the whole debt situation. So far at least.

Averon

Souldriver said:

At least, I hope so.

Everyone's approval ratings are in the shitter. Obama's, Reid's, Boehner's, the entire congress, etc...This debt issue is pissing people off. They blame Washington in general, not just Obama. Obama's rating only started to crater when this debt fiasco started. Once this issue is settled and is out of people's minds, I expect Obama's rating to move back to where it were (43%-48%) before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom