• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novid

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
My problem is that the agency has zero credibility and frankly some of its officers should be in jail. One of the main reasons our economy and subsequently our politics, are in the toilet, is the nakedly criminal ratings boosting these fucks gave junk mortgage securities for years.

They are crooks and, without exaggeration, traitors of the highest order. If you are sitting on a depleted 401k and your mortgage is underwater, you can thank S&P for it's venal charade.

the reason they will not go to jail is that they warned us in advance.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Novid said:
the reason they will not go to jail is that they warned us in advance.

no they didn't. They bleated some plaintive cries of 'oops' as the market was tanking. I knew gaf had a defense force for everything, but for ratings agencies? Come on.

ToxicAdam

OuterWorldVoice said:
no they didn't. They bleated some plaintive cries of 'oops' as the market was tanking. I knew gaf had a defense force for everything, but for ratings agencies? Come on.

With Moody's and Standard & Poor's now trying to make up for past wrongs, the pace of downgrades on mortgage securities shows no sign of slowing: There were $85 billion in mortgage securities downgraded in the third quarter of 2007, $237 billion in the fourth quarter, $739 billion in the first quarter of this year, and $841 billion in the second quarter of 2008.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/04/magazines/fortune/whitney_feature.fortune/index.htm

Novid

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:

Im not defending S&P. In fact I agree they should be proscuted for what they did in 2008.

OuterWorldVoice said:
My problem is that the agency has zero credibility and frankly some of its officers should be in jail. One of the main reasons our economy and subsequently our politics, are in the toilet, is the nakedly criminal ratings boosting these fucks gave junk mortgage securities for years.

They are crooks and, without exaggeration, traitors of the highest order. If you are sitting on a depleted 401k and your mortgage is underwater, you can thank S&P for it's venal charade.
I don't know if I'd go quite that far. I never actually finished reading the FCIC report, so my impressions my be misformed, but for as far as I'd read, I got the impression that it was they were really just shockingly incompetent. I'm with you on their having no credibility, but I think criminal negligence is about as far as you can get as far as any sort of legal culpability would go.

Edit: Nate Silver's take.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Invisible_Insane said:
I don't know if I'd go quite that far. I never actually finished reading the FCIC report, so my impressions my be misformed, but for as far as I'd read, I got the impression that it was they were really just shockingly incompetent. I'm with you on their having no credibility, but I think criminal negligence is about as far as you can get as far as any sort of legal culpability would go.

That would sound reasonable were it not for the way ratings agencies actually bring in income.

planar1280 said:
The white house and democrats are using the phrase: a tea party downgrade to describe the S&P downgrade. Let's see if it catches on

The White House and Democrats don't want this sticking to them? No way!

planar1280 said:
The white house and democrats are using the phrase: a tea party downgrade to describe the S&P downgrade. Let's see if it catches on

What a typical un-witty, clunky phrase by the Dems. As much as I hate to say it, Dems are pure shit on the soundbyte department.

gcubed

teruterubozu said:
What a typical un-witty, clunky phrase by the Dems. As much as I hate to say it, Dems are pure shit on the soundbyte department.

they need to use spongebob to get their message out more

eznark

Banned
teruterubozu said:

I've already heard it a bunch over the weekend on TV so it's catching on. ObamaCare/RomneyCare it's not, but it gets the job done.

Jackson50

Invisible_Insane said:

It is remarkable that their ratings correlate more with the CPI than any of the objective economic measures. Not that I am surprised that corruption correlates with fiscal and financial instability. Generally, I would expect more corrupt states to be at greater risk of default. But I did not expect it to be that significant. Moreover, the degree of their correlation is worrisome.
"I don’t know whether or not S.&P. looks at these ratings. But the fact that the two sets of ratings are so closely related is troublesome. It suggests that S.&P. is making a lot of judgment calls about countries they have no particular knowledge about. Keep in mind that even when it comes to the United States, S.&P. made a $2 trillion error that reflects their lack of understanding of the way that bills are scored by the Congressional Budget Office. Are we to expect that they add value based on their perceptions of the political climate in Kazakhstan, or Cyprus, or Uganda?"

besada

Banned
eznark said:
I've already heard it a bunch over the weekend on TV so it's catching on. ObamaCare/RomneyCare it's not, but it gets the job done.

I saw it on the headlines of a couple of stories I couldn't make myself read and had no idea what they were talking about. I briefly wondered if Moody's had started rating political parties, which, I grant, makes no sense.

eznark

Banned
teruterubozu said:
Nobody watches news on the weekends. Let's see if lasts the week.

People who write about the news get their cues from the weekend shows. It frames the rest of the week.

I saw it on the headlines of a couple of stories I couldn't make myself read and had no idea what they were talking about. I briefly wondered if Moody's had started rating political parties, which, I grant, makes no sense.

Axelrod and Kerry are the vanguard. I assume Barry will interrupt Bachelor Pad as soon as he can and trumpet it. Probably next week.

eznark said:
People who write about the news get their cues from the weekend shows. It frames the rest of the week.

Well, I haven't seen it over the weekend I consider myself up on the news. Of course the biggest news was the downgrade itself, which pretty much eclipses anything else.

The major story this weekend just seemed like a general finger pointing match between Geithner and S&P. If the Dems are also including the Tea Party as a source of rancor then they run the risk of seeming like they're lashing out at everybody (you can't blame them, but they may need to chill a bit).

ToxicAdam

planar1280 said:
I am not too famiiliar with Oil stock options but are they a part of the 401K investments?

Not sure how individual 401k's handle commodities or futures. But, the average investor can get into ETF's, which can be bought just like a stock, and correlate pretty closely with the market. USO and OIL are the two big ones. I was able to get in on USO at a low price in 2008 and flip it for about a 60% gain a year later.

HamPster PamPster said:
What podcasts do you all listen to?

Its a boring Monday at work and I need some listening material
Fareed Zakaria GPS, Marketplace from American Public Media, and On The Media by WNYC are all worth checking out.

Novid

Banned
Heads Up folks. BAC stock dying as of right now. CNBC states that another fund is casuing BAC stock to plummet, possibly due to AIG lawsuit.

gcubed

Novid said:
Heads Up folks. BAC stock dying as of right now.

well the downgrade hits financial stocks, and they just got a $10 billion fraud suit filed against them by the government... er i meant AIG

eznark

Banned
speculawyer said:
He told us a downgrade was likely. Already working on that revised history, I see.

This is one hell of a Tim Geithner impersonator!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlQaKRvxInM

FBN: "Is there a risk that the United States could lose it's Triple A credit rating, yes or no?"
Geithner (imposter?): "No risk of that"
FBN: "No risk?"
Geithner (imposter?): "no risk"

FBN: "So S&P is wrong, the United State will keep it's AAA credit rating"
Geithner (imposter?): "Absolutely"

I'm sure this will be covered in the thread for the hacking scandal but this is an interesting turn of events:

source
Well-sourced information coming out of the Department of Justice and the FBI suggests a debate is going on that could result in the recently launched investigations of News Corp. falling under the RICO statutes.

Among the areas that the FBI is said to be looking at in its investigation of News Corp. are charges that one of its subsidiaries, News America Marketing, illegally hacked the computer system of a competitor, Floorgraphics, and then, using the information it had gleaned, tried to extort it into selling out to News Corp.; allegations that relationships the New York Post has maintained with New York City police officers may have involved exchanges of favors and possibly money for information; and accusations that Fox chief Roger Ailes sought to have an executive in the company, the book publisher Judith Regan, lie to investigators about details of her relationship with New York police commissioner Bernie Kerik in order to protect the political interests of Rudy Giuliani, then a presidential prospect.

Yeah, the bit that has to do with Kerik and Giuliani is so intriguing. I'd love for Giuliani to go down in flames by association as he somehow came off clean in the other Kerik shitstorm. Also, seeing Ailes finally get his would be nice too.

well...

http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=232185

Israel to negotiate using 1967 lines, with mutually agreed swaps, if Palestinians accept two states, one Palestinian and one Jewish.

With the Palestinians set to seek recognition of statehood at the UN in just a number of weeks, Israel said Tuesday it would be willing to accept the 1967 lines as a framework for talks as part of a package in which the Palestinians would recognize Jewish state.

Israeli officials said this framework would be a package deal whereby Israel would agree to entering negotiations using the 1967 lines, with mutually agreed upon swaps, as the baseline of talks; and the Palestinians would agree that the final goal of negotiations would be two states, a Palestinian one and Jewish one.

RELATED:
PA: Israel-US plans to revive peace talks 'valueless'
Official: Netanyahu ready to discuss border 'package'
Opinion: The Palestinians’ treacherous path to the UN

Israel raised the formula as officials from both parties, the US, EU and Russia are continuing to work on a document to provide a framework for a return to negotiations that could make a Palestinian bid at the UN superfluous.

According to this formulation, one official explained, each side would get something: The Palestinians would get the 1967 lines as the baseline, something they have long sought; and Israel would get Palestinian recognition of Israel as a Jewish state.

Israel, according to the official, has made clear that it would agree to language in the framework that would reflect the ideas of US President Barak Obama’s two speeches on the Middle East in May in which he first used the 1967 lines, with swaps, as a baseline for a return to talks.

Jerusalem, while not endorsing the 1967 lines, would agree to language that would say that Israel recognizes that this is the position of the international community. The willingness to show this degree of flexibility, the official said, would be contingent on the Palestinians demonstrating flexibility of their own and endorsing language nodding at recognition of Israel as a Jewish state.

The Palestinians have so far opposed the insertion of this type of language inside the formula, saying they would return to talks only if Israel agreed to enter them with the pre-1967 lines as the baseline, and after freezing all construction in the settlements.

An additional issue is whether the Obama speech that would serve as the basis of the talks would be his speech at the State Department, with language that is more pleasing to the Palestinians; or his speech days later at the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, which had additional nuances sought by Israel.

From the American perspective, both speeches needed to be considered as inextricably linked.

“President Obama has outlined principles and goals for these negotiations in his historic remarks. We are working with the parties and the Quartet to encourage direct negotiations on that basis,” said a State Department spokesman, specifying he was referring to both speeches.

“Both those remarks – you can’t take one and not the other. They’re both the same message and the same thing,” he said. “The idea that those remarks go together is important.”

The Europeans, however, are understood to be pushing for language that would be closer to the State Department speech, as they want to be more assured of Palestinian support for any statement they would back.

Tony Blair, envoy to the Quartet of the US, EU, UN and Russia, is handling coordination in an attempt to find a workable text. The major sticking points are seen as the size of the swaps envisioned, the issue of Israel as a Jewish state and how strong the language would be on rejecting a Hamas role in a Palestinian national unity government.

A package framework was brought to the Quartet at a meeting in Washington in mid-July, but the Quartet itself could not agree on it, with Russia reportedly balking at the need to include the Jewish state element into the deal.

“In the wake of the Quartet meeting last month, there were still gaps between the parties about whether there was a common basis to resume negotiations,” noted David Makovsy of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. “I think the gaps have been narrowed, but they haven’t been closed. If past performance is an indication, odds are the Europeans are going to seek Palestinian support before agreeing to close those gaps.”

Makovsky continued: “This is a key moment because having terms of reference for peace talks may be the best way to avert a confrontation in September, and this seems to have motivated Israel at least in part to search for a common formula.”

He characterized the Israelis as having come “a considerable distance” on moving towards the principles outlined by Obama as a basis for talks.

Makovsky also pointed out that this episode was the first in which the Quartet had inserted itself into negotiations, which he described as “a reflection that the Europeans are considered pivotal voters at the UN in September.”

Government officials said that since the July Quartet meeting there have also been signals that the Palestinians themselves were looking for ways to come off the UN statehood recognition tree, with PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad and other senior Fatah members saying as much recently.

gcubed

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
Why is he still employed?

i wonder if the GOP is getting in its own way here. How long would it take for a replacement to be voted in? Would it be done before the elections?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Probably because someone in the Senate would place a secret hold on his replacement's appointment.

I'm sure Obama wants to keep the number of appointments he has to make to a minimum, since they get held up by saboteurs.

eznark

Banned

because no one else will take the job most likely (also, lol at a confirmation in this atmosphere)

i wonder if the GOP is getting in its own way here. How long would it take for a replacement to be voted in? Would it be done before the elections?

I think the GOP would love for Geithner to stay in office. That clip I just linked to will be in many campaign ads. "Tax-Cheat Timmy, Obama's Boy, wrong on downgrade yet Obama refuses to hold him accountable."

ToxicAdam

gcubed said:

Clearly it's part of their master plan to further tank the economy so they can win in 2012.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Has Obama been even able to fill 50% of his appointments yet? How many have dropped out simply because they got tired of waiting months -- even years?

mernst23

eznark said:
This is one hell of a Tim Geithner impersonator!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlQaKRvxInM

FBN: "Is there a risk that the United States could lose it's Triple A credit rating, yes or no?"
Geithner (imposter?): "No risk of that"
FBN: "No risk?"
Geithner (imposter?): "no risk"

FBN: "So S&P is wrong, the United State will keep it's AAA credit rating"
Geithner (imposter?): "Absolutely"

You mean when he said this in April not thinking that this thing was going to be dragged down to the last day before the default? That's a lot of grasping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom