• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulairi

Banned
Matt said:
And half of Milwaukee isn't in yet either. Things do look to be going Pasch's way,

Darling is going to win. Milwaukee isn't going to be big enough to make up the difference. If all the % remain constant, Darling is going to win.

ToxicAdam

WEST CHESTER, Ohio, Aug. 9 (UPI) -- Staff members at the Ohio office of Speaker of the House John Boehner say they locked the office doors when a protest by union groups and others got rowdy.

About 125 protesters showed up at the Republican congressman's West Chester office Tuesday and wanted to send two protesters inside to talk to staff members, who locked the doors when confronted by the angry crowd, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported.

One protester reportedly kicked at the door several times.

Union officials said hundreds of people would rally to insist Boehner address the question of jobs for people in his district.

No arrests were made, police said.

Boehner was not at the office during the incident as he was taking part in a fundraising golf event in Dublin, Ohio, the Enquirer reported.

lol Boehner golfing? No way.

ToxicAdam said:
lol Boehner golfing? No way.
Not just golfing . . . . fundraising golfing. The best kind.

We apparently have more people than we need these days. We were able to give people service jobs in construction and retail as we inflated some bubbles but now that they've popped we've got lots of unemployed. I wish I had a good solution.

tokkun

AP has now called for Olsen.

King has pulled ahead in 18, but the margin is small. It all depends on the demographics of the outstanding precincts.

Ulairi

Banned
MSNBC is terrible. When Paasch loses how will they cover their glee? Does MSNBC even pretend to have any independence anymore?

tokkun

LovingSteam said:
You argued that Republicans would keep 5 of 6. Lets see how right you are.

Darling will not lose, and I say that as someone who marched in multiple rallies against the union-busting bill.

Ulairi

Banned
LovingSteam said:
You argued that Republicans would keep 5 of 6. Lets see how right you are.

Again, look at the votes coming in. If all remains constant, Darling is going to win and then it's game over

gcubed

looks like they may pick up 2, going to be short of the 3. Its funny though, as the recall is only temporary and the redistricting pretty much guarantees some will flip back

SolKane

Ulairi said:
MSNBC is terrible. When Paasch loses how will they cover their glee? Does MSNBC even pretend to have any independence anymore?

Why would they be gleeful that Pasch loses? Anyway, MSNBC doesn't even feign objectivity any more.

Dems are only going to get one seat out of this. Then between redistricting and the 2012 elections (which the GOP will win by hammering on the economy being crap and providing no real solutions), I expect they'll lose a few more in Wisconsin.

EDIT: Well, maybe not. Two seats, perhaps?

NihonTiger90 said:
Dems are only going to get one seat out of this. Then between redistricting and the 2012 elections (which the GOP will win by hammering on the economy being crap and providing no real solutions), I expect they'll lose a few more in Wisconsin.

51-49 Pasch.

ToxicAdam

ijoGFi.png

Background music

Ulairi

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
Yeah, I was too quick to post. What Precinct just came in?

and where can I follow that?

Waukesha is the largest county out that is so heavily for Darling and Milwaukee isn't picking up the votes needed to out do the suburbs.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
MSNBC isn't a monolithic voice. Lawrence O'Donnell's show is unabashedly liberal, and Ed Schultz is the same, except in diarrhea form. Morning Joe is right-of-center, inside-the-beltway nonsense, Chuck Todd is idiotic diarrhea (not to be confused with liberal diarrhea), and the news programs during the afternoon is rather cut-and-dry.

Ulairi

Banned
scorcho said:
MSNBC isn't a monolithic voice. Lawrence O'Donnell's show is unabashedly liberal, and Ed Schultz is the same, except in diarrhea form. Morning Joe is right-of-center, inside-the-beltway nonsense, Chuck Todd is idiotic diarrhea (not to be confused with liberal diarrhea), and the news programs during the afternoon is rather cut-and-dry.

So, it's Fox news?

MSNBC is the only one doing live coverage.

Jeels

scorcho said:

This is the same type of defense people who defend Fox News use, let's not do that.

Ulairi

Banned
I think MSNBC got too excited when Milwaukee sent in a lot of Dem votes and now they are having to walk it back. It's quite entertaining.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Jeels said:
This is the same type of defense people who defend Fox News use, let's not do that.
Fox News doesn't have a morning show hosted by a staunchly liberal former House member. MSNBC's primetime lineup has a liberal slant. no one has argued otherwise. it's also not a 'defense' of MSNBC.

Ulairi said:
Waukesha is the largest county out that is so heavily for Darling and Milwaukee isn't picking up the votes needed to out do the suburbs.
According to AP Milkwaukee is just as pro-Dem as Waukesha is pro-Repub, and the precinct count is even between the two groups with a 1,000 vote lead for Pasch. I'd say he has a good chance right now.

Moreover District 8... all that's left is a county where the dem favors well too. They might've actually pulled this off.... damn.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LAWeekly Blog Post!

Millionaires Don't Pay Taxes? 1,470 of America's Richest Didn't, According to IRS
By Dennis Romero Mon., Aug. 8 2011 at 3:12 PM

Southern California has more millionaires than just about anywhere else in the nation, with L.A. coming in at No. 1, Orange County at No. 4, and San Diego ranking No. 6 in cities with the most seven-figure-plus households in 2008.
So maybe we should feel a little guilty, especially as President Obama and the GOP are headed toward draconian federal cuts, the United States' credit rating is down a notch, and the stock market is diving like a conservative congressman in a bathroom stall.

Because many millionaires and billionaires, it was revealed today, don't pay taxes like you and me:

In fact, many don't pay taxes at all. Now, those familiar with the Mack-truck sized loopholes written into the tax code (example: the wealthy who make their money off capital gains only pay a 15 percent tax rate, if that) shouldn't be surprised.

According to a recently released IRS report (PDF), 1,470 millionaires and billionaires paid zero taxes in 2009.

The report states that donations to charity, investment in government bonds, and taking cash from overseas operations has resulted in a legit, $0-tax bill for these high rollers.

Of course, some Democrats in congress have been trying to eliminate tax loopholes and discounts as part of the debt ceiling debate. But while Republicans are gung-ho to cut federal largess in the name of a solvent Republic, they've been quick to protect those who live largest.

In fact, as we recently told you, the 400 richest earners across the land pay a 17 percent tax rate (yours is more like 35 percent).

If you're not pissed off yet, read David Cay Johnston's "9 Things The Rich Don't Want You To Know About Taxes."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom