• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Did he mean the BS Supreme Court version of "Corporations are People" or the sense that everyone who works for, owns, and has stake in the business are the corporation. I would like to believe the latter and he didn't explain himself, due to the outburst of the dude in the audience (why did that guy scream at that part, btw, dont understand it).

He seemed to handle it well, in my opinion.

If meant the other way, than that is pretty sad.

Clevinger

ToxicAdam said:
tumblr_lpojfxd6op1qdf6w8o1_400.gif

That's actually how I first saw the picture. I was scrolling down slowly and then those crazy eyes peeked up over the bottom of my screen.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
The courts have upheld this for many years.
But how did you know that Scalia is a hero of mine?
No it's not. This decision has been "upheld" through political corruption of writing the headnote where a railroad baron connected to the Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad court case wrote it implying that the 14th amendment applied to corporations. Every court case since has hinged on this spin on what actually happened, which was that the California taxes were in conflict with Federal taxes. Nothing to do at all with corporate personhood.

Besides, if Scalia wants to be a constitutional "purist" he should know better than anyone that the 14th Amendment was written SPECIFICALLY in light of the recently freed black and mulatto population from government discrimination in the future. If he's a purist, he should be able to see that much.

demon said:
Yeah I'm not sure how that works, as I'm not exactly what you'd call a legal expert. Does that original ruling act as precedence in any case involving corporate personhood?
It's just another piece of evidence to support the argument that the Citizens United ruling is an exercise in judicial activism.

EDIT: wait wait wait a GOP primary debate tonight? who's participating? PLEASE tell me Rick Perry is in. Now that he's running, Michele Bachmann is unfortunately no longer viable (that and the whole having a self hating anti-gay gay husband thing)

popcorn.gif

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
polyh3dron said:
It's just another piece of evidence to support the argument that the Citizens United ruling is an exercise in judicial activism.

EDIT: wait wait wait a GOP primary debate tonight? who's participating?

popcorn.gif

EVERYONE

AlteredBeast said:
Did he mean the BS Supreme Court version of "Corporations are People" or the sense that everyone who works for, owns, and has stake in the business are the corporation. I would like to believe the latter and he didn't explain himself, due to the outburst of the dude in the audience (why did that guy scream at that part, btw, dont understand it).

He seemed to handle it well, in my opinion.

If meant the other way, than that is pretty sad.
Watch the full version for context.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ8w4ZBXUbo&sns=em

Oh man, what a great day for candidacy not-really-announcements-but-sure.

Perry for President and Warren for Senate.

The best match-ups for Democrats.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
You don't think corporations have the right to free speech? Nothing more anti-American than that.
People IN the corporations sure as hell have that right since they're citizens. Corporations, since they're not actually people, don't get to say anything. They do not have their own will and thus cannot be a "person". It does not think, therefore it is not.

This is why I was confused why anyone thought this was a gaffe. Romney is correct, and law has ruled on his side here. A corporation has first amendment rights and is a person legally. We can make snide comments and repeat the WH talking points about him being "weird" or we can face reality.

The crowd wasn't pleased, but if he's the nominee they'll vote for him anyway.

ToxicAdam

PhoenixDark said:
This is why I was confused why anyone thought this was a gaffe. Romney is correct, and law has ruled on his side here. A corporation has first amendment rights and is a person legally. We can make snide comments are repeat the WH talking points about him being "weird" or we can face reality.

The crowd wasn't pleased, but if he's the nominee they'll vote for him anyway.

You're trying to talk sense to a Poligaf in campaign mode. I'm sure someone will post Gallup poll results from consecutive weeks to prove that Romney's gaffe cost him 2 points approval.

This opinion piece in al-jazeera is so over the top. Makes Matt Tabbi look tame by comparison.

Towards the beginning of the original Terminator film, Kyle Reese, who has come back to the past to save Sarah Connor - whose spawn will save mankind - lets her know what she's facing in her new cybernetic stalker. "Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

Substitute "Tea Party" for "Terminator" and "U.S. Government" for "you," and with the exception of "fear" (which I'd argue is what drives them), this pretty much sums up the story of the 60-odd birdbrain Birchers who have rebranded themselves Tea Partiers and brought more crazy than Kanye West to the House of Representatives.

The recent war over the federal budget and debt ceiling were simply the latest in a long line of skirmishes where Democrats - the self-described practitioners of "good faith" and seekers of compromise - found themselves in a pitched policy battle with recalcitrant Republicans. Right wingers so high on radical, Randian, Tea-Party-brewed, Kool Aid, that anything short of dismantling the Federal Government and requiring universal tattooing of Milton Friedman where-the-sun-don't-shine was treason.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/08/20118109928579537.html

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Still think Romney is a lock if he plays his cards right. IMO, to everyone other than far-right idiots, his universal healthcare in MASS was a success and he should be touting that, plus his ability to fix the massive budget shortfalls of Massachusetts without the boom of the 90's. If it is budget and deficits that the country will still be buzzing about, he should make note of that.

Clevinger

ToxicAdam said:
You're trying to talk sense to a Poligaf in campaign mode. I'm sure someone will post Gallup poll results from consecutive weeks to prove that Romney's gaffe cost him 2 points approval.

I don't think it's going to massively hurt him, but if you run that gaffe in general election ads, it's going to hurt him at least somewhat with independents.

Saying, "Oh, well, he's technically right so surely it won't then appeal to voters' emotion" is not really talking sense.

Hylian7

ToxicAdam said:
:lol :lol :lol

Dear god don't let her be Perry's VP. I may seriously consider moving out of the country if Perry becomes president with her as VP.

On that note I heard about Perry pretty much confirmed to be running today. Can't say I'm surprised by that. His religious crap is easily the worst thing about him (that and he's got the AFA to back him up). We shouldn't have the Pope in the White House, I really hope he doesn't even make it on the ballot.

ToxicAdam said:
Yeah, that 'gaffe' wasn't really a big deal.

It does show some lack of connection with the common folk but it will be forgotten.

EricM85

XMonkey said:
5% sounds like a very bad idea, no?

I don't really see the problem with it. As it stands, most of this cash is being invested offshore. By incentivizing repatriation you bring more cash home, which helps loosen up domestic balance sheets, and leads to more domestic investment as opposed to foreign investment.

And she starts out with the crazy . . . "Let's not pay our bills."

(Raising the debt ceiling is merely done to pay for the spending that Congress itself . . . her . . . already authorized.)

Vestal

AlteredBeast said:
Still think Romney is a lock if he plays his cards right. IMO, to everyone other than far-right idiots, his universal healthcare in MASS was a success and he should be touting that, plus his ability to fix the massive budget shortfalls of Massachusetts without the boom of the 90's. If it is budget and deficits that the country will still be buzzing about, he should make note of that.
If he touts that he will not win the Republican Nomination and that is his problem...

He will come out soo scared from the primary that what will remain is a shell of what he used to be, and everything said during the primary will castrate him.

Piecake

speculawyer said:
And she starts out with the crazy . . . "Let's not pay our bills."

(Raising the debt ceiling is merely done to pay for the spending that Congress itself . . . her . . . already authorized.)

Bachman is advocating that we purposefully default/declare bankruptcy? Lol

besada

Banned
That bell is irritating. They put Mitt between the crazy people. Of course, considering the candidates, it might be hard not to put him between the crazy people.

besada

Banned
We cut them historically. We cut them so damn hard that they had wooden teeth when we were done. We cut them in the past, altering the time flow and now there is no problem in the economy.

Edit: that's what my hair looks like, which is why I mostly shave my head. We called it helmet hair. Oh shit, Pawlenty's still around? Ooh, prizes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom