• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
Mr. E. Yis said:
Did anyone see Roemer on MSNBC tonight? He's in the Republican Presidential race, and is big on campaign finance reform. He's limiting his campaign contributions to $100 max for any individual/company. I'm not sure of his politics, but that is refreshing to see.
It was nice when Jerry Brown did it back in 1992, too. Like Brown, he will get his brains beat in, unfortunately.

ToxicAdam said:
Jesus, this HSR project in California is going to be massively overbudget:

They picked this leg to start on because it was supposed to be the cheapest and easiest to gain access rights to.

I wonder if this is another indication of how ungovernable this country is becoming. Laying railroad track is not rocket science. But getting right-of-way rights these days is probably a very difficult. Between "property rights uber alles" conservatives and trial-lawyer/environmentalist liberals, it has got to be an endless nightmare of lawsuits. No one gives a crap about the 'common good' and everyone screams, bitches, and moans.

We can't accomplish anything as a nation any more because we are too busy fighting our selves.

speculawyer said:
I wonder if this is another indication of how ungovernable this country is becoming. Laying railroad track is not rocket science. But getting right-of-way rights these days is probably a very difficult. Between "property rights uber alles" conservatives and trial-lawyer/environmentalist liberals, it has got to be an endless nightmare of lawsuits. No one gives a crap about the 'common good' and everyone screams, bitches, and moans.

We can't accomplish anything as a nation any more because we are too busy fighting our selves.

Thanks to the media

unomas

Banned
Joe said:
Ron Paul is the President that the media and corporations don't want us to have which probably means he is the President we need.

Agreed, and it's because of his beliefs on the war and the federal reserve just to name a few. Unfortunately for mainstream political interests they want to keep the bullshit going and avoid Ron Paul like the plague. Paul will continue to gain more support regardless of what the media does because he's truly for the people. All these other politicians are cookie cutter puppets, and people are sick of voting for more of the same. When John Stewart acknowledges the bias I mean come on....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EY5Ofcxjs0

Puddles

Banned
Mr. E. Yis said:
My ideas for "plain politics" and "political clarity" are taken. :\ I can't think of anything else.

simplepolitics.com is up for sale. I wonder how much the owner wants.

I really wish people couldn't just register domain names and then not do anything with them. If you're not going to actually build a website, that domain should be available to anyone who will.

Puddles said:
simplepolitics.com is up for sale. I wonder how much the owner wants.

I really wish people couldn't just register domain names and then not do anything with them. If you're not going to actually build a website, that domain should be available to anyone who will.

Wait you guys seriously interested in getting involved with this idea? Cause if so we should exchange information, create an official thread, and find a way to communicate with each other, ideally as a group.

Puddles

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Wait you guys seriously interested in getting involved with this idea? Cause if so we should exchange information, create an official thread, and find a way to communicate with each other, ideally as a group.

I'm extremely interested. I've been mulling over the idea for some time. At first I was just going to create a typical liberal blog, but something non-partisan and on the scope of what you're suggesting could be much better.

I have several articles in rough draft form already, plus outlines for a few others.

besada said:
It was nice when Jerry Brown did it back in 1992, too. Like Brown, he will get his brains beat in, unfortunately.

Yep, the movement has to precede the candidates. Politicians aren't movements, nor can they create them. It's our responsibility to do that.

Puddles said:
I'm extremely interested. I've been mulling over the idea for some time. At first I was just going to create a typical liberal blog, but something non-partisan and on the scope of what you're suggesting could be much better.

I have several articles in rough draft form already, plus outlines for a few others.

Fantastic! I'm too tired/gotta sleep right now but tomorrow I'll shoot you a pm

cheers

Tim-E

Puddles said:

I've been thinking about doing some writing, as well, but haven't been able to find the right outlet or focus for it. I have a few political/social papers I've written in the past that I've thought about making more accessible, as well as other ideas I've cooked up. I have no coding experience, but I'd be more than willing to pitch in some work for this idea because I agree with you wholeheartedly.

besada

Banned
Puddles said:

I'll contribute. Not sure what, but if you're building a little coalition, pm me with the details and I'll show up and do what I can.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm interested in contributing. I was planning on starting a blog next month. PM me about it also.

Also, this is old news, but wtf Wasserman Schultz.

EDIT: Your website idea is also very similar to what I was planning on doing. I want to do one evaluating topics and people in politics. The goal would be to research based and non-partisan as possible.

Cool stuff. Hopefully this idea will get off the ground, just in time for elections. If you guys need some video editing or a logo, let me know.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Mr. E. Yis said:
Cool stuff. Hopefully this idea will get off the ground, just in time for elections. If you guys need some video editing or a logo, let me know.

Mr. E. Yis
Would you like my credit card number?

Don't mind if I do! :p

A Human Becoming said:
Mr. E. Yis
Would you like my credit card number?

Don't mind if I do! :p

LOL. That tag is more than 5 years old, and the link doesn't even work anymore since it's still under the ga-forum.com name. I need a new (and better) tag. :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Karma Kramer said:
Sorry for coming across a bit cynical, but I guess this largely stems from me not being able to persuade my mom (fox news watcher) on anything political. The brainwashing is just too effective for me, I feel powerless. I do think there is something we could do , GAF, but it would involve a lot of work from many individuals here. We need to formulate a website that is as non-partisan as possible that like a RPG videogame or something tracks stats on every elected official in politics right now, showcasing how similar the two parties are, how corrupt most of them are (financing), and how hypocritical our political system is (republicans spending more than democrats, tax cuts timelines, etc)...

Basically a very detailed but extremely clear and honest representation of our political climate. Something that we can spread over the internet. Something that can give people tools to compile data, make graph comparisons, and network with like minded individuals (hopefully sparking new third parties).

No worries. I totally get what you mean, and it's the same thing with me and my previous roommates. One of them in particular makes me supremely frustrated since he SHOULD know better but is almost indistinguishable from the average chain mail reading tea bagger.

As for the website, I think that's a great idea, and coincidentally, I have one dedicated to just that (the name sucks though. I blame that on my idiot friend who bailed on me...)

I can provide the server space and all that stuff, and if I have some people to work with, I'd actually have some more motivation to put some effort into it. And there are some smart people in Poligaf (Ghal, Speculawyer, Empty Vessel, Chicikov, etc.) who would be great if they provide contributions and such.

Mr. E. Yis said:

I'm a film major and focus on video editing as well, we should maybe conceptualize some ideas to get word of mouth out for more support.

This looks like its picking up steam, im very excited about this. The overall goal of this idea is to help a community solve the problems of our future, we need to ensure that whatever this becomes it is managed and built as a community. It needs to convey the passion I see in this thread everyday and it needs to be executed in creative ways that gives the movement a powerful but simple symbol.

The logo is crucial.

Puddles

Banned
An email group would work great for this kind of thing. Why don't you guys pm me your email addresses, and tomorrow I'll send out a group email so we can all keep in touch about this.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I wanted to do some funny political comics/videos, I like to think I got some good ideas but not the equipment (drawing tablets, editing software).

Oblivion said:
I wanted to do some funny political comics/videos, I like to think I got some good ideas but not the equipment (drawing tablets, editing software).

Sounds wicked Oblivion, I have a good friend that is a very good animator.

group email works for now, but I would like to make communication a little bit more lively/personal, because I think its important we get to know one another and be invested in the project. I think with our daily lives/responsibilities, organization for this kind of thing can get too fragmented. We need to maintain momentum and enthusiasm.

HylianTom

Banned
besada said:
Somewhere around 1986. The only solution is to start joking about it. Everything else will either give you a stroke or get you out in jail.

That's the route I set-upon about 8 years ago. It's kept me sane, mostly. I still "care" about national politics, but one won't find me stroking-out over it any time soon. But I still care about local politics; there's still capacity for hope on that scene - you can meet and work with your neighbors, better your community, see the results of your efforts more directly, etc. It also seems a bit easier to fight big monied interests on a local scale.

besada said:
What didn't happen in 1986?

Chernobyl, the West Berlin Disco bombing followed by our retaliatory strike on Libya, the first televised Senate proceedings, South Africa in ruins, Reagan's continued existence, the failed talks in Reykjavik, a revolution in the Phillipines, the beginning of Iran-Contra, the beating of young black men in Queens and elsewhere...

Edit: The spawning of PD

Something good happened that year, though.. Phil Hartman joined SNL's cast. He and Al Franken working together.. soooooogoooood.gif.

HylianTom said:
But I still care about local politics; there's still capacity for hope on that scene - you can meet and work with your neighbors, better your community, see the results of your efforts more directly, etc. It also seems a bit easier to fight big monied interests on a local scale.
I'm also trying also to do some work locally, but not political - I'm trying to start up a community garden in my town. I know some councilmen, and am in the 'proposal' phase. But I'm not sure if this will go through, since it seems like my town Reps and Dems are in a standstill on getting things done, much like our Congress.

Edit- Oblivion, I got 2 wacom tablets, as well as adobe premiere. I can also animate cartoons, in a basic crude 'Beavis & Butthead' style. I'm also good with caricatures of anyone, so if you need help with political comics, also let me know.

LosDaddie

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Im considering throwing in the towel with Poli-gaf... love you guys but this thread leaves me nothing but depressed these days.

The enthusiasm gap is really wide right now. The conservative/sports forum I used to post at is very excited about Perry.

eznark

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Fantastic! I'm too tired/gotta sleep right now but tomorrow I'll shoot you a pm

cheers

I'll have a 5000 word piece on the evils of the public education system in your inbox by Friday.

Averon

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/08/ws-revenge-ex-bushies-gang-up-on-rick-perry.php?ref=fpa

W’s Revenge: Ex-Bushies Gang Up On Rick Perry

Rick Perry is facing a full-on assault from former Bush aides over his comments on Fed Chair Ben Bernanke, pushing a long-rumored rivalry between the two ex-governors' camps out into the open.

Acknowledging to TPM that "there is no love lost between the W camp and the Perry camp," one Bush veteran appealed for detente.

"I do not think it serves any purpose for any Bushy to fuel to fire or resentment," the person said. "The goal for us should be to defeat Obama not defeat ourselves.

It's not just Rove.
Many other ex Bush officials are coming out against Perry.

Mike M

Nick N
The establishment has wasted no time circling the wagons around Romney.

Gonna be very interesting to see how this plays out...

besada

Banned
eznark said:
Don't Bush and Perry hate each other personally? I thought I read that somewhere.

I'm not sure if it rises to the level of hate, but I wouldn't be surprised. Perry didn't think much of Bush's faux-cowboy routine, and the Bushies didn't like that Perry started life as a dirty poor, so they've never exactly been chums. And Perry didn't follow orders very well, which caused the Bush camp some consternation from time to time.

re: website. i'm working for a pr/ad agency right now that is developing multiple websites for politicians right now, along with other non-political projects. in fact, we just went live yesterday with a politician's site yesterday. have you all considered utilizing wordpress for your site? it's extremely functional and easy to use for *everyone* involved and if you have people who are more experienced in coding, they can really add some flavor to the site. still, a simple wordpress site should more than enough for what you all are looking for.

besada

Banned
I use Wordpress for my personal blog. Also, if we needed a place to start, I have some server space available. If it took off I don't want to pay the bills for the traffic, though. But as a start, I could toss whatever up on my Bluehost account.

For that matter, I could throw something up for organization purposes.

Edit: Or, if everyone's up on Google+, we could just use the PoliGAF circle that Reilo and I are already part of.

if you guys are going to make a site i suggest you use it to advocate for issues such as campaign finance reform or electoral reform.

advocating for third parties is useless and literally impossible without at least electoral reform.

besada

Banned
Frank the Great said:
if you guys are going to make a site i suggest you use it to advocate for issues such as campaign finance reform or electoral reform.

advocating for third parties is useless and literally impossible without at least electoral reform.

Currently I think we're talking about a largely informational site that describes the mess without necessarily prescribing a solution. My thinking is that it should describe the mess we're in in the clearest terms, and then offer a set of links to existing organizations that work on some of the issues brought to light, including electoral reform and campaign financing. Of course, that's just me.

Macam

Banned
Black Republican said:
any one know any good liberal texas blogs/sites?

Not really liberal per se, but all good sites: Texas Tribune (a nonprofit venture), Texas Observer, Burnt Orange Report (which in itself has a whole host of Texas-specific blogs). Additionally, the Austin American Statesman is the quintessential Texas paper, although the Houston Chronicle isn't half bad either.

besada

Banned
Macam said:
Not really liberal per se, but all good sites: Texas Tribune (a nonprofit venture), Texas Observer, Burnt Orange Report (which in itself has a whole host of Texas-specific blogs). Additionally, the Austin American Statesman is the quintessential Texas paper, although the Houston Chronicle isn't half bad either.

And here's a big list of Texas Progressive blogs:
http://texasprogressiveblogs.com/

And I second the Texas Observer, original home of Molly Ivins, and sometimes ranting place for Jim Hightower.

ToxicAdam

Perry exchange with Iowa college student (Ron Paul supporter).

What he was trying to ask said:
What I asked Governor Perry was “Considering state debt has nearly tripled and spending has increased by two thirds since you were governor, and also that ACORN considered your help their ‘proudest moment,’ what were the differences between him and the current liberal president?” As you can see, he immediately tried to excuse away the numbers.

besada

Banned
Cubsfan23 said:
Perry is already fucking up, the GOP field is the most laughable in U.S. history

And folks in WI are trying to get Ryan in the race. I'd love to see more candidates. I envision a stage with twenty-five candidates debating, each one given two minutes to speak. They'll really have to ratchet up the rhetoric to get noticed. Hell, Cain and Perry have both suggested impeaching the Big O, so by the time we reach the end of this folderol, they'll have to accuse him of being a gray to get attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom