• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mortrialus said:
I'd love to watch it, but the cable here in my city doesn't have it. I wish they'd just put whole episodes online.

Yeah, Current T.V. doesn't upload them online like MSNBC did sadly. Hence why I haven't watched it either, I don't Current T.V. from my provider.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I don't think she'll run, and I definitely don't think it will be third party. She'd burn all sorts of valuable bridges by doing that because it'd be handing the election to Obama on a silver platter.

XMonkey said:
I don't think she'll run, and I definitely don't think it will be third party. She'd burn all sorts of valuable bridges by doing that because it'd be handing the election to Obama on a silver platter.
To be fair, considering how batshit crazy they are, I think they are doing that with or without her.

XMonkey said:
It's what she wants. She has made a living out of bashing a sitting president for the most inconsequential bullshit imaginable, and all of her criticisms are misdirected and misinformed yet lapped up by her base. Do you really think she wants Obama gone? What will poor Sarah bash about then? How will she stay relevant? I think to even say that Palin sincerely wants to lead the country, or wants a better direction for it, is frankly giving her too much credit. Bachmann is equally if not more nutty than Palin, but at least Bachmann has ambition. Palin is the lowest denominator in politics right now.

End game in sight in Libya: Tripoli assault begins
TRIPOLI, Libya — Libyan rebels launched an assault early Sunday on the capital of Tripoli, taking control of the airport, amid unconfirmed reports that leader Moammar Gadhafi had fled, NBC News reported.

"Zero hour has begun," a rebel commander told NBC News.

Rebels were fighting in at least four areas of Tripoli, NBC News said.

Protesters demanding the departure of Gadhafi took to the capital streets, Reuters said. Heavy mortar fire and sustained gunfire was growing intense, witnesses said.

White House and U.S. intelligence officials were monitoring rumors that Gadhafi had left with his two sons, Hannibal and Mutassim, ending his 41-year rule, NBC News reported.

XMonkey said:
She wants to keep her cultists. The relentless finger pointing at Obama is her way of affirming their beliefs that she's better. She doesn't ever have to be right about anything or even have a stated position, Obama simply has to be wrong.

In fact, the only thing her cult expects of her is for her to run and win one for White Jesus, and it's because she's positioned herself as champion. That's what the whole mama thing is about. If she doesn't even make the attempt to unseat Obama, she's a bad mother and her whole image goes into the crapper.

The reason she goes third party from the start is that she needs to be the de facto leader. She can't let a primary race depict her as anything but the star of the right. She gets involved in a primary, and suddenly she has to contend. That is beneath her right now.

RustyNails said:
It's what she wants. She has made a living out of bashing a sitting president for the most inconsequential bullshit imaginable, and all of her criticisms are misdirected and misinformed yet lapped up by her base. Do you really think she wants Obama gone? What will poor Sarah bash about then? How will she stay relevant?

Matthew Gallant said:
The reason she goes third party from the start is that she needs to be the de facto leader. She can't let a primary race depict her as anything but the star of the right. She gets involved in a primary, and suddenly she has to contend. That is beneath her right now.
i-want-to-believe.jpg

She doesn't have the money & support for a 3rd party candidacy. She is too much of fringe nut. She's lost a lot of followers with the various stupid things she's said over the past 2 years.

Piecake

speculawyer said:
She doesn't have the money & support for a 3rd party candidacy. She is too much of fringe nut. She's lost a lot of followers with the various stupid things she's said over the past 2 years.

Then how does Bachmann have support? I know it sounds impossible, but I think she says more stupid, idiotic and insane crap than Palin

Gonaria said:
Then how does Bachmann have support? I know it sounds impossible, but I think she says more stupid, idiotic and insane crap than Palin
Bachmann doesn't have enough money for a 3rd party candidacy either.

To be a third party candidate that is relevant enough to be in the news (obviously Palin's main goal), you need a LOT of money. H Ross Perot money. Bloomberg money. Otherwise she's just down there with the Natural Law party, the Peace & Freedom party, Libertarians, etc.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Gonaria said:
I know it sounds impossible, but I think she says more stupid, idiotic and insane crap than Palin

Side thought real quick.

I think they both say pretty equally idiotic things, but I feel Bachmann actually believes her bullshit, as opposed to Palin, who's primarily just an opportunist. Not that I'm saying that Palin believes in evolution or anything, but at the end of the day, her main goal is to make as much money as she can, regardless of whether policies she actually believes in get enacted or not. Whereas Bachmann is a true fanatic.

Ecotic

Gonaria said:
Though they're both similar in terms of craziness, but Palin spends all of her time addressing her petty grievances with the media, and rarely doing anything else besides a FOX News interview.

Bachmann is an actual candidate for President who doesn't seem concerned with perceived media unfairness, and will go on all 5 Sunday talk shows and get out there and lead. It makes all the difference in the world. One is conceited and concerned only with herself, while the other sees herself as the leader of a movement and is doing all the necessary things to win an office.

Averon said:
Most of this is pretty nonsensical. I don't necessarily take issue with repealing the seventeeth amendment, but I think that's more a proxy expression of my contempt for the amount of money it takes to compete in elections than it is anything to do with "excesses of federal power." On the other hand, lobbying would be just as likely to corrupt the process of choosing a senator if that power were to be shifted to state legislatures, so I'm not sure that removing the seventeenth amendment would really address that issue.

speculawyer said:
http://shirtoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/i-want-to-believe.jpg[IMG]

She doesn't have the money & support for a 3rd party candidacy. She is too much of fringe nut. She's lost a lot of followers with the various stupid things she's said over the past 2 years.[/QUOTE]
She doesn't have support from general electorate, but she has thundering support from within the tea party. She will cannibalize Bachmann and Perry voters to the marrow. Also, Don't underestimate SarahPAC and her various tentacles around the country.

Of course, she will be whipped off by the general electorate like a dusty old rug. Obama can vacation for the rest of the year and he will be handed a decisive victory.

Klocker

PhoenixDark said:
But she doesn't have the drive or work ethic. She wants to turn this into another book, not a campaign

exactly... all she cares about is fame, celebrity and capitalizing on the folly of that. She is in it for the money not the results.

She knows damned well being President is far above her ability. She's dumb but she's not stupid. ;)

sprsk said:
I hate when politicians invoke the founding fathers as if they were biblical figures or something.
The Founding Fathers were ordinary men and HIGHLY flawed. They'd be utterly disgusted at the way religion has fused with politics.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
XMonkey said:

If you guys are talking about Palin, I think she would love nothing more than for Obama to win again. She needs an enemy to gain allies.

All she needs is find a way to attack the Republicans if this was to happen, because they will unleash on her if Obama wins again if she leads a third party.

And Perry is definitly worst than Bush. Bush saw the title of president as just that, and used it along with his close teammates for their own little plan, which was mostly focused on foreign policy and business. Perry would be terrible on a foreign policy level, and he will meddle in domestic policies in a worst way than Bush did.

BTW if I don't watch the video, you could tell me Bush is speaking. The guy has a very similar voice.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
TacticalFox88 said:
The Founding Fathers were ordinary men and HIGHLY flawed. They'd be utterly disgusted at the way religion has fused with politics.

Highly flawed in what way? They were certainly flawed, we all are, but I always thought they were very intelligent, well educated men.

i think the point about the founding fathers is that they could not agree on any damn thing. it is kind of pointless to invoke them as a group to support a political position, considering that they were a dynamic group of people, each with very different views.

gcubed

Have been in DC over the weekend taking in the sights and a few baseball games along the way. I haven't been here in about 16 years so I'm a little older and wiser now and can enjoy the tours.

Some observations, when the govt shuts down and people say "its only the park service who cares" well... I do now. Everything as far as tours and information goes is free here. The job the park service does here, keeping everything clean, answering questions, doing tours, etc is something I would never want to deprive anyone the ability to enjoy. Maybe this stuff stays open but it invaluable for visitors from around the US or world. Anyway... the reflecting pool is gone and its a large mud pit. Yay renovations.

During a walking tour the guide was talking about why the Washington monument is 2 different colors and explained about the know nothing party which was met with someone saying (and it wasn't me!) "We have one of them now". Brought a smile to my face.

Then I got drunk during a rain delay for a phillies game and watched them blow a lead in the ninth, which made me forget all about that wonderful comment until today

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44218605

Basically an article about whether or not to extend the Social Security payroll tax cut (from 6.2% to 4.2%).

If it expires (as the GOP wants), basically all Americans suffer a tax increase. Funnily enough (that's sarcastic) the GOP is more than willing to let this one expire because it disproportionately hurts the poor and middle-class, as the Social Security tax only applies to about the first $106,000 of salary. Anything above that = no tax.

Going to be funny to watch the GOP try and spin this one to the American public with a majority of the public in favor of raising taxes on the rich.

Also, I know it's late, but that Daily Show piece on the "Class Warfare" garbage from Fox News was right on the money. Hilarious yet sad at the same time. It's incredibly disheartening to have a group of people trying to use the fact that poor people have refrigerators as an excuse against them being poor. Unbelievable.

besada

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
Highly flawed in what way? They were certainly flawed, we all are, but I always thought they were very intelligent, well educated men.

They were intelligent, well educated men (most of them anyway), which doesn't stop them from being highly flawed. Many of them kept slaves while simultaneously making sweeping arguments about the god-given right of every man to be free. That's pretty seriously flawed.

Many of them were also not very good people, and were willing to pay others to lie to discredit their opponents. Most were vain, at least one was a criminal (although depending on how you look at it, they were all criminals and traitors to their sworn King.)

For the purposes of this conversation, it might help to clarify who we mean when we say "Founding Fathers," which technically includes all of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, all of the members of the Constitutional Convention, plus a handful of other rabble-rousers like good old Thomas Paine (who was intimately involved in that blood-soaked orgy we know as the French Revolution).

Making generalizations about such a large group -- whether they were highly flawed or not -- is a mug's game.

Plinko said:

Basically an article about whether or not to extend the Social Security payroll tax cut (from 6.2% to 4.2%).

If it expires (as the GOP wants), basically all Americans suffer a tax increase. Funnily enough (that's sarcastic) the GOP is more than willing to let this one expire because it disproportionately hurts the poor and middle-class, as the Social Security tax only applies to about the first $106,000 of salary. Anything above that = no tax.

Going to be funny to watch the GOP try and spin this one to the American public with a majority of the public in favor of raising taxes on the rich.

Also, I know it's late, but that Daily Show piece on the "Class Warfare" garbage from Fox News was right on the money. Hilarious yet sad at the same time. It's incredibly disheartening to have a group of people trying to use the fact that poor people have refrigerators as an excuse against them being poor. Unbelievable.

I saw this.. makes me sick I give up on this stuff!

freaking bizzaro world.

Piecake

Plinko said:

I... I just don't understand...

Plinko said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQst2mFlJM

GhaleonEB

Gonaria said:
Let me make it simple: the GOP opposes anything Obama supports. He proposed a payroll tax holiday on the employer side, something the GOP has been advocating, and they rejected it. Because, Obama embraced it.

Wilsongt

GhaleonEB said:
Let me make it simple: the GOP opposes anything Obama supports. He proposed a payroll tax holiday on the employer side, something the GOP has been advocating, and they rejected it. Because, Obama embraced it.

And the main people who get hurt by these childish games are the poor and middle class. Bastards.

Chichikov

Gonaria said:
It's true that the GOP want low taxation in general, but what they want even more, is to make the tax code less progressive.
I'm not trying to paint an entire political party with a single brush, but by and large, conservatives in this country think that rich people pay more than their fair share.
And here's the thing, it's kinda hard to raise federal taxes on the poor.
You can raise the lower tax brackets, but that will hit the middle class as well.
You can raise payroll taxes, but you'll hurt businesses.

And that's why we'll end up with a VAT (well, that and because the dems will sell out working people in this country once again).

GhaleonEB said:
I had to read that three times to make sire I was reading you right. Wtf is this shit? So if Obama says the sky is up the hop will say no the earth is up.

Jeels

TacticalFox88 said:
I had to read that three times to make sire I was reading you right. Wtf is this shit? So if Obama says the sky is up the hop will say no the earth is up.

This just proves they don't actually believe that raising taxes hurts the economy, or that they actually have the interests of the working class or unemployed, they will just oppose whatever Obama wants to do and will trash this country as much as possible in order to blame Obama and win the next election.

PALIN WON'T RUN!!!!!
stop believing this shit!

fuck! way to people believe this?

she is milking it as much as she can and raking in the dough; she will not run!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...f-calif-home/2011/08/21/gIQAfTk5TJ_story.html
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is planning to nearly quadruple the size of his $12-million California beachfront manse.

Romney, a former Massachusetts governor and nominal frontrunner for the GOP’s 2012 presidential nomination, is planning to bulldoze his 3,009-square-foot home facing the Pacific Ocean in La Jolla, Calif., and replace it with an 11,062-square-foot home, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The Union-Tribune reported late Saturday that Romney has filed an application with the city for a coastal development permit, but that no date has been set to consider the project.

A Romney campaign official confirmed the report, saying the Romneys want to “enlarge their two-bedroom home because with five married sons and 16 grandchildren it is inadequate for their needs. Construction will not begin until the permits have been obtained and the campaign is finished.”

In 2008, then-Republican presidential nominee John McCain was criticized and mocked when he said he was unsure how many houses he and his wife, Cindy, owned. The answer was eight.

Since then, perhaps sensing that this could be a liability for him, too, Romney began consolidating his real estate portfolio. Romney and his wife, Ann, sold for $3.5 million the 6,500-square-foot colonial in Belmont, Mass., where they raised their five sons. They also sold a 9,500-square-foot home at the Deer Valley ski resort near Park City, Utah, for close to its $5.25 million asking price, according to a 2010 Associated Press report.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
SomeDude said:
The American revolution was a false revolution. and in many ways made things much worse.
if lincoln wasn't assassinated, people would have revolted and started a civil war. his death improved relations between the two countries.

Diablos

Mitt Romney: "Hey, I'm looking for a job, too -- and making my $12 million home 4x bigger, just like every other American down on their luck!"

Piecake

scorcho said:
if lincoln wasn't assassinated, people would have revolted and started a civil war. his death improved relations between the two countries.

He actually said something even more crazy. He didnt say the civil war, he said the american revolution. Apparently Somedude is also an Anglophile who wants to return America to the glorious British Empire

SomeDude

Banned
Gonaria said:
He actually said something even more crazy. He didnt say the civil war, he said the american revolution. Apparently Somedude is also an Anglophile who wants to return America to the glorious British Empire

Everything I said was correct. the founders were the new monachy.

whites were poor before and after the revolution.

blacks were slaves before and after the revolution.

after the revolution we immediately expanded westward massacring and genociding native americans. by 1850 we had reached california.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Tamanon said:
Romney really needs better advisers if he makes a rookie mistake like this.

Agreed. Absolutely idiotic thing to do right now.

Plinko said:

And then next year they'll be demanding Obama extend the Bush taxes. And he will.

Veezy

que?
SomeDude said:
Everything I said was correct. the founders were the new monachy.

whites were poor before and after the revolution.

blacks were slaves before and after the revolution.

after the revolution we immediately expanded westward massacring and genociding native americans. by 1850 we had reached california.
What are you even talking about?

Blacks aren't slaves. There's problems, but they certainly aren't property. Whites go all the way from the richest people in the world down to being poor.

Yes, what America did to the Native peoples is terrible and unforgiveable. What does that have to do with the revolution being, inherently, a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom