• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

You know what pisses me off about the whole EPA thing?
That Obama once again completely accepted the conservative narrative about the issue, just like during the debt ceiling debate.

I get it that a large chunk of the GOP thinks that environmental regulation kills jobs, but now Obama join their ranks?

I would expect a progressive president to stand up and say that cleaning after yourself is the cost of doing business in this country.

Even if you can't get it done (and I don't see why he can't), you don't have to abandon your principles.
Is this all so the white house get to declare victory?

Chichikov said:
You know what pisses me off about the whole EPA thing?
That Obama once again completely accepted the conservative narrative about the issue, just like during the debt ceiling debate.

I get it that a large chunk of the GOP thinks that environmental regulation kills jobs, but now Obama join their ranks?

I would expect a progressive president to stand up and say that cleaning after yourself is the cost of doing business in this country.

Even if you can't get it done (and I don't see why he can't), you don't have to abandon your principles.
Is this all so the white house get to declare victory?

Word. I picked up on this a long time ago, and it has irritated me ever since. Not using his position to affirmatively validate conservative frames is, like, the very least we should be able to count on a Democratic president to do.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
balladofwindfishes said:
but he is bringing change and has been his entire 3 years...

He's the first president in our entire history who managed to pass some sort of healtcare reform bill

He's reformed Wallstreet

He reformed student loans

He ended DADT

He's fighting DOMA

He doesn't need to bring more change, the people just need to know the very positive and very real effects of his legislation.
Right now, all the media is slamming everything he does. He has no media allies.

He needs to figure out a way to better explain things to people, I believe that is much more important to him winning.
What? He didn't reform wall street at all, beyond a minor bill that amounted to nothing more than a slap on the wrist, and as far as I'm concerned, student loans are worse off without subsidized Stafford loans, even with the MINOR additions to pell grants.

And the healthcare reform bill is half-assed, and unsustainable without a public option, and will ultimately lead to the medicare's undoing with constant reductions in reimbursement rates.

besada

Banned
Did anyone do a thread about this news:
http://technorati.com/technology/article/federal-courts-rule-it-is-not/
The First Court of Appeals has reached a decision that would allow the general public to video-tape police officers while they are working. This decision comes right after several well-known public cases have come to light involving citizens being arrested for video-taping police.

I know we talked about several instances where people got in trouble for it, but I hadn't seen the ruling until I stumbled across it today.

Edit:

And seriously, "the first President in history to pass some sort of healthcare reform bill"? How can anyone say that with a straight face? You have to ignore the long history of healthcare bills including Medicare, Medicaid, COBRA, ERISA, etc. No idea where this particular ridiculous talking point got started, but cut it out.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I am not surprised by the decision. And I think it should and will withstand appeal all the way.

Otherwise it would be incredibly chilling.

besada said:
Did anyone do a thread about this news:
http://technorati.com/technology/article/federal-courts-rule-it-is-not/

I know we talked about several instances where people got in trouble for it, but I hadn't seen the ruling until I stumbled across it today.

Edit:

And seriously, "the first President in history to pass some sort of healthcare reform bill"? How can anyone say that with a straight face? You have to ignore the long history of healthcare bills including Medicare, Medicaid, COBRA, ERISA, etc. No idea where this particular ridiculous talking point got started, but cut it out.
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago. Can't search now though for some reason.
Any other decision would be scary a hell.

edit: found it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442534

mckmas8808 said:
YES! That's exactly what I'm telling you. Why would the GOP pass bills to help the country and the President when they said that their number 1 goal is to stop him from getting a 2nd term.

Yeah no shit. There is no possible way it was going to pass, it barely passed in the worthless state it did. But he certainly should have punished every single democratic that wasn't toeing the line. It made him appear weak.

The prospect of Palin not runnin saddens me. It would've made this election go down in crazy history.

Bachman isnt good enough? Just as stupid and twice as insane.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
TacticalFox88 said:
The prospect of Palin not runnin saddens me. It would've made this election go down in crazy history.
this speech wouldnt make sense if she is not planning to run
she even has a plan to save America, a plan!

US politics remains putrid but at least Bolt does something we can smile about:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/03/usain-bolt-wins-200-meter_n_947792.html

3AQmK.gif

mj1108

PhoenixDark said:
She's not running; she can't afford to go into more debt.

Instead she'll keep making these speeches and appearances to keep her name in the news and con more money out of the right wing/teabaggers who hope and pray she will still run -- even after the election is over.

bsb

Neo Member
" Palin spoke for 40 minutes and spent a good chunk of her address outlining what she said were her own “real solutions” to the country’s economic problems. “My plan is a bona fide pro-workin’ man’s plan and it deals in reality,” she said. “It deals in the way the world really works.”

Palin’s chief economic proposal: total elimination of the corporate income tax."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/62606.html#ixzz1WvV6mY00

Holy fucking shit.

bsb said:
" Palin spoke for 40 minutes and spent a good chunk of her address outlining what she said were her own “real solutions” to the country’s economic problems. “My plan is a bona fide pro-workin’ man’s plan and it deals in reality,” she said. “It deals in the way the world really works.”

Palin’s chief economic proposal: total elimination of the corporate income tax."

Holy fucking shit.
All the republican candidates want to either eliminate or reduce by an extreme amount the corporate tax rate.

So its obama our these buffoons

Piecake

bsb said:

Holy fucking shit.

Pro working man plan and elimination of the corporate income tax does not compute

AndyD

aka andydumi
GhaleonEB said:
Palin tends to contradict herself every few sentences, especially when she waddles into talking policy.

Yep.

I guess you could reduce corporate tax but plop down a huge capital gains tax to make up for the lost revenue.

I think the idea they are going for is something like this: reduce corporate tax from 35 to 20 but also simplify and streamline the tax code to eliminate loopholes. So they can both say they reduced taxes, and also keep revenue coming in.

GhaleonEB said:
Palin tends to contradict herself every few sentences, especially when she waddles into talking policy.
I honestly think she thinks that the two are compatible, but just isn't smart enough to realize it.

Diablos

We should all donate to Palin. Keep the dream alive. There HAS to be a way we can get her to win the nom! Barack won't even have to try.

I believe in miracles!

AndyD said:
Yep.

I guess you could reduce corporate tax but plop down a huge capital gains tax to make up for the lost revenue.

I think the idea they are going for is something like this: reduce corporate tax from 35 to 20 but also simplify and streamline the tax code to eliminate loopholes. So they can both say they reduced taxes, and also keep revenue coming in.

They are not genuine policy planners. Greed. That's it.

Puddles

Banned
Youtube - 3 myths about capitalism

Libertarian-slanted video from an economics professor at Harvard.

I was following this guy until he said "What true capitalism does is reward people who are productive."

Yes, productive people are often rewarded, but millions of people who are extremely productive are not well-rewarded at all, and many who contribute little to society make out like bandits.

THIS is the myth that holds the conservative philosophy together. I don't think progressives will make significant headway with the average American until we can dispel this myth once and for all.

Edit: this comment is absolutely brilliant:

Communism believes in there being a few very rich, the elite, and the rest of the people are at the bottom

No words.

bsb said:

Nothin' says "pro-workin' man" more than shifting the tax-burden from corporations onto the workin' man. (Who else is going to pay the tax bill?)

What the fuck? Again? He caved AGAIN? Jesus Christ. It's not even the fact that he's caving it's the fact that theirs no LOGICAL reason TO cave. I want to know WHY. WHY DAMMIT! I seriously want to know what the FUCK goes in his head when he gives in.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
speculawyer said:
Nothin' says "pro-workin' man" more than shifting the tax-burden from corporations onto the workin' man. (Who else is going to pay the tax bill?)
Why aren't there any fiscally responsible conservatives in politics anymore? all these clowns telling us to slash taxes are absolutely retarded. What we need is for everyone to actually pay the tax rate assigned to them and we would be fine. They don't even need to go up or down, just paid depending on actual earnings, cut the loophole BS.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
TacticalFox88 said:
What the fuck? Again? He caved AGAIN? Jesus Christ. It's not even the fact that he's caving it's the fact that theirs no LOGICAL reason TO cave. I want to know WHY. WHY DAMMIT! I seriously want to know what the FUCK goes in his head when he gives in.
"What are you going to do? Vote for Rick Perry?"

AKA

welcome to the American political system.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Byakuya769 said:
Accuse me of an ad-hominem, but I don't think the question was likely geared towards you.
Ehhh, I don't know about that. I enjoy listening to conservatives and liberals alike as long as they aren't assholes that talk down to people and/or be Olbermann.

AlteredBeast said:
Ehhh, I don't know about that. I enjoy listening to conservatives and liberals alike as long as they aren't assholes that talk down to people and/or be Olbermann.

Yea, I actually think I may have confused you with someone else. My apologies.

speculawyer said:
If you think about it, people who talk like this with lucidness should be in padded cells.
TacticalFox88 said:
I guess this is how the liberal generation before you and I felt when Clinton was President...Older ones here probably remember.

besada

Banned
RustyNails said:
I guess this is how the liberal generation before you and I felt when Clinton was President...Older ones here probably remember.

Yes and no. Clinton was twice as cynical and ten times luckier. But yeah, a lot of us were deeply frustrated by him. Unlike Obama, he didn't so much get forced to the right as he gladly went there so he could trumpet his successes. And he happily burned his base to do it. And he wasted a shitload of time and political capital because he couldn't keep his dick in his pants.

But he had a kickass economy, no major wars, and a Republican House so crazy they managed to improve his approval ratings while impeaching him.

jamesinclair said:
So I was reading the newspaper on the train today, and Obama vetoed the better smog standards?

That's it. I'm done with Obama.
Meh. The CAFE standards were impressive. Some smog standard thing is no biggie.

I'm pretty disillusioned but not from that.

I think the Solyndra bankruptcy hit them hard. They'll probably be a bit shy about being too green. :-/

ezekial45 said:
Were you ever with Obama?

I voted for him.

At up until now, my plan was to vote for him in 2012 because the republican alternative is so much worse.

But I realize I was wrong.

There is no difference. They're the exact same thing.

Oh, big deal, Obama repealed DADT. Its not like a lawsuit wouldnt have done the same.

Obama may promise progressive ideas, but they never happen, he never stands up to defend them, and always caves. Always.

So whats the difference?

Whats the point in voting for him?

I don't want him to be able to point to my vote and say "look, people support me" because I dont.

Voting for him because the alternative is worse is BS. It's worse then wasting a voting.

It's basically voter coercion.

ezekial45

Banned
jamesinclair said:
I voted for him.

At up until now, my plan was to vote for him in 2012 because the republican alternative is so much worse.

But I realize I was wrong.

There is no difference. They're the exact same thing.

Oh, big deal, Obama repealed DADT. Its not like a lawsuit wouldnt have done the same.

Obama may promise progressive ideas, but they never happen, he never stands up to defend them, and always caves. Always.

So whats the difference?

Whats the point in voting for him?

I don't want him to be able to point to my vote and say "look, people support me" because I dont.

Voting for him because the alternative is worse is BS. It's worse then wasting a voting.

It's basically voter coercion.

So you're just gonna not vote in 2012? Like at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom