• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
XMonkey said:
Love how the GOP is caught between their rabid Tea Party supporters, their corporate overlords, and the American public they've been feeding bullshit to for the last couple months
years
. I'm convinced now Obama is certain there's no way the GOP will let those corporate interests down by defaulting so he really can hold their feet to the fire. If only he was this shrewd all the time (or gifted such amenable circumstances).

hence the McConnell plan...which the WSJ came out strongly in favor of yesterday.

I think at this point it is likely.

A friend of mine sent me a link to a list of very interesting Adam Smith quotes. Enjoy.

From the 'favorite quotes: Economics' section of Steve Kangas' excellent website, 'Liberalism Resurgent' (Mr. Kangas died under mysterious circumstances some ten years ago ...)

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/tenets.htm

The real Adam Smith:

Editor's note: conservatives love to portray 18th century radical humanist Adam Smith as the original capitalist defender. In fact, Smith "despised aristocrats, hated capitalists, and wept for the laboring poor," as commentator John Hess so eloquently put it. Conservatives mistake him for their own on the strength of one quote, which introduces the famous concept of the "invisible hand":

"Every individual… intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his original intention. By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of society more effectively than when he really intends to promote it."
-- Adam Smith, Wealth Of Nations

But here is what Adam Smith really thought:

"All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind."
-- Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy when part of the members are poor and miserable."

"Our merchants and master-manufacturers complain much of the bad effects of high wages in raising the price, and thereby lessening the sale of their goods both at home and abroad. They say nothing concerning the bad effects of high profits. They are silent with regard to the pernicious effects of their own gains. They complain only of those of other people."

"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices."

"As soon as the land of any country has all become private property, the landlords, like all other men, love to reap where they never sowed, and demand a rent even for its natural produce."

"The liberal reward of labor, therefore, as it is the necessary effect, so it is the natural symptom of increasing national wealth. The scanty maintenance of the laboring poor, on the other hand, is the natural symptom that things are at a stand, and their starving condition that they going backwards fast."

"The rate of profit... is naturally low in rich and high in poor countries, and it is always highest in the countries which are going fastest to ruin."

"The subjects of every state ought to contribute toward the support of the government, as nearly as possible, in proportion to their respective abilities; that is, in proportion to the revenue which they respectively enjoy under the protection of the state ....(As Henry Home (Lord Kames) has written, a goal of taxation should be to) 'remedy inequality of riches as much as possible, by relieving the poor and burdening the rich.'"

"Whenever the legislature attempts to regulate differences between masters and their workmen, its counsellors are always the masters. When the regulation, therefore, is in favor of the workmen, it is always just and equitable; but it is sometimes otherwise when in favor of the masters."

"The interest of dealers, however,... is a always in some respects different from, and even opposite to, that of the public... The proposal of any new law or regulation of commerce which comes frm this order ought... never to be adopted till after having been long and carefully examined, not only with the most scrupulous, but with the most suspicious attention. It comes from an order of men whose interest is never exactly the same with that of the public, who have generally an interest to deceive and even to oppress the public, and who accordingly have, upon many occasions, both deceived and oppressed it."

"In a society of an hundred thousand families, there will perhaps be one hundred who don't labour at all, and who yet, either by violence, or by the more orderly oppression of law, employ a greater part of the labour of society than any other ten thousand in it. The division of what remains, too, after this enormous defalcation, is by no means made in proportion to the labour of each individual. On the contrary those who labour most get least. The opulent merchant, who spends a great part of his time in luxury and entertainments, enjoys a much greater proportion of the profits of his traffic, than all the Clerks and Accountants who do the business. These last, again, enjoying a great deal of leisure, and suffering scarce any other hardship besides the confinement of attendance, enjoy a much greater share of the produce, than three times an equal number of artizans, who, under their direction, labour much more severely and assiduously. The artizan again, tho' he works generally under cover, protected from the injuries of the weather, at his ease and assisted by the convenience of innumerable machines, enjoys a much greater share than the poor labourer who has the soil and the seasons to struggle with, and, who while he affords the materials for supplying the luxury of all the other members of the common wealth, and bears, as it were, upon his shoulders the whole fabric of human society, seems himself to be buried out of sight in the lowest foundations of the building."
-- Adam Smith, first draft of Wealth Of Nations

And here is what Adam Smith thought about labor unions:

"We rarely hear, it has been said, of the combinations (that is, unions or colluding organizations) of masters, though frequently of those of workmen. But whoever imagines, upon this account, that masters rarely combine, is as ignorant of the world as of the subject. Masters are always and everywhere in a sort of tacit, but constant and uniform combination, not to raise the wages of labor above their actual price."
-- Adam Smith, Wealth Of Nations​

Jackson50

Byakuya769 said:
A friend of mine sent me a link to a list of very interesting Adam Smith quotes. Enjoy.

"The subjects of every state ought to contribute toward the support of the government, as nearly as possible, in proportion to their respective abilities; that is, in proportion to the revenue which they respectively enjoy under the protection of the state ....(As Henry Home (Lord Kames) has written, a goal of taxation should be to) 'remedy inequality of riches as much as possible, by relieving the poor and burdening the rich.'"
-- Adam Smith, Wealth Of Nations​
Additionally: "It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expence, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
GhaleonEB said:
Josh Marshall tweet:

GOP pushing 'Obama lost his cool', is volatile, shaky meme.Doesnt seem like credible take but curious how yr seeing press play it.​

Cantor is such a dipshit.

I think it's telling that even Cantor's take on things doesn't put himself in a good light.

Yeah, everything he says is a lie or a stretch from reality. Like the whole, oh yeah, "people shot at me too!" bullshit. I don't understand how people can look at him and not think shill.

Chichikov

eznark said:
And what's your prediction about k-rod?

LovingSteam said:
Derp derpy derp derp derp? You know you love him, ESPECIALLY if he causes Civil War II: Grab Yo shotty and yo Qu'ran, it's Go Time.
Bullshit bullshit bullshit.
Civil War II: War Harder is going to be about Bachmann freeing those gay slaves.

eznark

Banned
Chichikov said:
And what's your prediction about k-rod?

He'll keep his head down, pitch fantastically, help the Brewers win a world series and fleece some big market moron for millions more than he is worth.

eznark said:
He'll keep his head down, pitch fantastically, help the Brewers win a world series and fleece some big market moron for millions more than he is worth.

heh. Brewers winning the WS is as likely as Mitch McConnell, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and Ann Coulter agreeing on anything...

Chichikov

eznark said:
Smart money is on the Mets.

• Brent Favre
  • Congressional confirmation
  • The appropriate temperature for coffee
  • Public financing of stadiums.
  • The Dropkick Murphys
  • Sheila Bair
  • K-Rod
  • How to spell The Dropkick Murphys
  • The economy
  • Taxation
  • National security
  • Healthcare
  • Climate change

p.s.
I hope I'm wrong, I got money on your fuckers to win the division.

eznark

Banned
Chichikov said:
Smart money is on the Mets.

• Brent Favre
  • Congressional confirmation
  • The appropriate temperature for coffee
  • Public financing of stadiums.
  • The Dropkick Murphys
  • Sheila Bair
    [*]K-Rod
  • How to spell The Dropkick Murphys
  • The economy
  • Taxation
  • National security
  • Healthcare
  • Climate change

p.s.
I hope I'm wrong, I got money on your fuckers to win the division.

What am I wrong on? You think he'll be terrible or something? If he is, the Brewers will use Saito and Hawkins like they have been. It's not like he is an integral piece, he was just a free upgrade.

(Ooooh, there is no apostrophe in Murphy's!)

Chichikov

eznark said:
What am I wrong on? You think he'll be terrible or something? If he is, the Brewers will use Saito and Hawkins like they have been. It's not like he is an integral piece, he was just a free upgrade.
Oh, I see.
I just think he's overrated as all fuck (my brother and some of my best friends are die hard Mets fans, I've seen way too many Mets game in my life, way too many).

eznark

Banned
Chichikov said:
Oh, I see.
I just think he's overrated as all fuck (my brother and some of my best friends are die hard Mets fans, I've seen way too many Mets game in my life, way too many).

Me too. But as a free set up man and another arm in the bullpen he is great. Not like the Brewers gave up anything to get him.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Byakuya769 said:
Adam Smith quotes

The common theme underlying all these quotes: the "free market" is the ultimate ideal, and market distortions do more than just change prices -- they reduce welfare, as well. Absent the market distortions that allow firms and individuals to reap high profits through arbitrage, consolidation, collusion, and bribery, prosperity would spontaneously emerge from the decentralized activity of selfish actors (the "invisible hand") without any government guidance (the "visible hand"). Morover, everyone would be paid according to his or her productivity, so the poor could not be exploited and differences in wages would perfectly reflect differences in skills. The first quote is completely consistent with the following ones. I wouldn't label Adam Smith a proto-Democrat just yet.

Classical liberals are not particularly fond of big, nasty monopolies and cartels. The difference is that they believe big government => monopolies and cartels, while modern liberals believe small government => monopolies and cartels. (I believe both views are simplistic.)

Some illustrative quotes from Mises, the arch "free market" ideologue of the 20th century:

• "Manufacturing and commercial monopolies owe their origin not to a tendency immanent in capitalist economy but to governmental interventionist policy directed against free trade and laissez-faire."
  • "It is a grotesque distortion of the true state of affairs to speak of monopoly capitalism instead of monopoly interventionism and of private cartels instead of government-made cartels."
Drawn from: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1942880

Goya said:
The common theme underlying all these quotes: the "free market" is the ultimate ideal, and market distortions do more than just change prices -- they reduce welfare, as well. Absent the market distortions that allow firms and individuals to reap high profits through arbitrage, consolidation, collusion, and bribery, prosperity would spontaneously emerge from the decentralized activity of selfish actors (the "invisible hand") without any government guidance (the "visible hand"). Morover, everyone would be paid according to his or her productivity, so the poor could not be exploited and differences in wages would perfectly reflect differences in skills. The first quote is completely consistent with the following ones. I wouldn't label Adam Smith a proto-Democrat just yet.

Classical liberals are not particularly fond of big, nasty monopolies and cartels. The difference is that they believe big government => monopolies and cartels, while modern liberals believe small government => monopolies and cartels. (I believe both views are simplistic.)

Some illustrative quotes from Mises, the arch "free market" ideologue of the 20th century:

• "Manufacturing and commercial monopolies owe their origin not to a tendency immanent in capitalist economy but to governmental interventionist policy directed against free trade and laissez-faire."
  • "It is a grotesque distortion of the true state of affairs to speak of monopoly capitalism instead of monopoly interventionism and of private cartels instead of government-made cartels."

"Whenever the legislature attempts to regulate differences between masters and their workmen, its counsellors are always the masters. When the regulation, therefore, is in favor of the workmen, it is always just and equitable; but it is sometimes otherwise when in favor of the masters."

Yea ok.

Evlar

Banned
Goya said:

You must have just skimmed over this one in your haste to get to the Mises quotes:

EDIT: Dammit.

GhaleonEB

Looks like Obama might be getting better at this negotiations thing.

When you're in the midst of extended, hard-fought negotiations and discover the other side has been negotiating in bad faith, do you (a) forgive and forget; (b) retract your own previous concessions; or (c) walk away from the table?

As it became publicly apparent this week Republicans were not acting in good faith in the debt ceiling negotiations -- so apparent that even deep denial about the previous strong evidence of bad faith was no longer a sufficient buffer to reality -- I was curious which of those strategies the White House would choose.

We might have a clue from a Republican aide complaining Wednesday evening that the White House was going backwards on the size of the spending cuts it was willing to accept:

"Thursday it was $2 trillion, Monday it was $1.7-1.8 trillion, Tuesday it was $1.6-1.7-1.8 trillion. This morning our staff met with White House folks and the wrap-up from that meeting said that the White House is now at $1.5 trillion."

We need more evidence to be sure -- and the GOP aide's account needs to be treated with some skepticism -- but it's suggestive the White House is going with option (b). Obama's rationale would be simple and sound: The more you jerk me around, the higher the cost of reaching a deal.​

They're being jerked around, so they're scaling back the concessions day by day, which is the exact opposite of what we've seen so far.

And Reid states the obvious about Cantor:

Harry Reid Says 'Childish' Eric Cantor Shouldn’t Be At The Negotiating Table

“House Majority Leader Eric Cantor has shown he shouldn't be at the table and Republicans agree he shouldn't be at the table,” Reid said on the Senate floor this morning citing articles with Cantor’s fellow Republicans saying Cantor has been childish in the negotiations. “He has walked out on the meetings with the Vice President of the United States. It was childish. Another Republican said Cantor is putting himself first. He said this -- quote -- ‘he is all about Eric.’”​

Jackson50

Unemployment claims decreased last week by 22,000. That is the lowest level since April. Also, the four-week rolling average decreased by 4,000.
Initial Unemployment Claims in U.S. Decline More Than Estimated to 405,000
By Alex Kowalski - Jul 14, 2011 10:28 AM ET

The number of Americans filing first-time claims for unemployment benefits dropped last week to the lowest level since April, a sign weakness in the labor market may be starting to abate.

Applications for jobless benefits decreased 22,000 in the week ended July 9 to 405,000, Labor Department figures showed today. Economists forecast 415,000 claims, according to the median estimate in a Bloomberg News survey. The data included fewer layoffs in the auto industry than typical this time of the year, according to an agency spokesman.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...-in-u-s-fell-22-000-last-week-to-405-000.html

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Byakuya769 said:

I read that quote. That's yet another example of devious capitalists acquiring an unfair advantage by bribing venal politicians. Note what I said:

"Absent the market distortions that allow firms and individuals to reap high profits through arbitrage, consolidation, collusion, and bribery..."

A disclaimer: I'm not a libertarian, conservative, free-market worshipper, etc, nor do I endorse Adam Smith or Mises's (ugh) point of views. I just don't like sloppy historical revisionism.

GhaleonEB

Jackson50 said:
Unemployment claims decreased last week by 22,000. That is the lowest level since April. Also, the four-week rolling average decreased by 4,000.
I am glad for the drop, but take it with some caution:

The headline decline in jobless claims is good news though there's special factors at play that cloud the July 9 week. Initial claims fell 22,000 to an as-expected level of 405,000 but the period is a shortened one that includes the July 4 holiday (prior week revised upward to 427,000). Another factor is uncertainty over the week-to-week timing of shutdowns, including auto retooling, in the manufacturing sector, a seasonal factor that lowers claims after adjustment and always makes for uncertain readings at this time of year. One factor that is clearly inflating claims is the government shutdown in Minnesota which added 11,500, before adjustment, to the week's total.​

http://bloomberg.econoday.com/byshoweventfull.asp?fid=446488&cust=bloomberg-us&year=2011#top

They may be volatile over the next few weeks.

Goya said:
I read that quote. That's yet another example of devious capitalists acquiring an unfair advantage by bribing venal politicians. Note what I said:

"Absent the market distortions that allow firms and individuals to reap high profits through arbitrage, consolidation, collusion, and bribery..."

A disclaimer: I'm not a libertarian, conservative, free-market worshipper, etc, nor do I endorse Adam Smith or Mises's (ugh) point of views. I just don't like sloppy historical revisionism.

The problem is much of what you said is directly contradicted by the quotes you read.

He mentions public land, progressive taxation, and support of labor unions.

What is being revised here?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Clevinger said:
Wow. You've got to know you're a hack (O'Donnell, I mean) when you not only defend, but prop up, Obama's negotiating skill.

That's a shitty statement to make. So what you're saying is that at ALL times Obama is always going to say and do the wrong thing while negotiating.

There can actually be times where you would like what Obama will say or do during negotiations. Now you may hate them again the next day, but it's not like the guy can't do or say one thing that Lawrence or any other liberal could agree to.

GhaleonEB

mckmas8808 said:
That's a shitty statement to make. So what you're saying is that at ALL times Obama is always going to say and do the wrong thing while negotiating.
How familiar are you with the development of legislation over the course of Obama's term to date?

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Byakuya769 said:
The problem is much of what you said is directly contradicted by the quotes you read.

He mentions public land, progressive taxation, and support of labor unions.

What is being revised here?

He doesn't support labor unions. He says "combinations of masters" (a.k.a. monopolies, cartels, trade associations, etc.) are just as bad as "combinations of workmen" (a.k.a labor unions). Which, by the way, is an observation that still holds true today.

In general he reprises "masters and merchants" (a.k.a. capitalists) for colluding with politicians, landed aristocrats, and each others to gain unfair advantages over others. They use these advantages to collect exorbitant rents and avoid paying their fair share of taxes.

By the way, by "the free market" I don't mean a "laissez-faire economy." I mean "perfect competition," i.e. no firm has market power. This is what Adam Smith held as the ultimate but perhaps unattainable ideal - not "let corporations do as they please! the market will correct itself!"

Goya said:
He doesn't support labor unions. He says "combinations of masters" (a.k.a. monopolies, cartels, trade associations, etc.) are just as bad as "combinations of workmen" (a.k.a labor unions). Which, by the way, is an observation that still holds true today.

In general he reprises "masters and merchants" (a.k.a. capitalists) for colluding with politicians, landed aristocrats, and each others to gain unfair advantages over others. They use these advantages to collect exorbitant rents and avoid paying their fair share of taxes.

By the way, by "the free market" I don't mean a "laissez-faire economy." I mean "perfect competition," i.e. no firm has market power. This is what Adam Smith held as the ultimate but perhaps unattainable ideal - not "let corporations do as they please! the market will correct itself!"

I admittedly overreached on the labor portion. However, you failed to touch on the other areas I mentioned. Also, I'm not seeing the negative attitude towards government that you seem to be implying, when many of the quotes are speaking of regulations as a way to curtail the influence of capitalist. I am just not quite understanding what you're actually taking issue with. How do you perceive that his views are being revised?

Meadows

Banned
So, US PoliGAF, I haven't been following the circus of crazy recently:

- Do the Republicans still seem batshit crazy?
- Has Bachmann gained any traction?
- Does Romney still only seem to be the only one who shouldn't seek mental help?
- Does it still look like Obama will win no matter what?

Meadows said:

- Does Romney still only seem to be the only one who shouldn't seek mental help?
Yes, it's too early, yes, no.

Measley said:
Marcus Bachmann is gay. Its so obvious that its frightening. His dislike of gay people is just icing on the cake.
I don't know if he is gay. But he sure sets off my not-so-accurate gaydar.

Meadows said:

I'd say: Yes, yes, Huntsman & Gary Johnson seem sane, and No! . . . not at all.

Obama > GOP and DEMs, voters want tax increases for wealthy in the budget deal, blame the bad economy on Bush, and will blame GOP if debt ceiling is not raised

American voters disapprove 56 - 38 percent of the way President Barack Obama is handling the economy, but by 45 - 38 percent they trust the president more than congressional Republicans to handle the economy, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

The country is in a recession, 71 percent of American voters say, but by 54 - 27 percent they blame former President George W. Bush more than President Obama.

The president gets a 47 - 46 percent job approval rating, unchanged from the June 9 survey by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University. That tops a 64 - 28 percent disapproval for Democrats in Congress and a 65 - 26 percent disapproval for Republicans. Obama outscores congressional Republicans on several points in the deficit reduction battle:

Voters will blame Republicans over Obama 48 - 34 percent if the debt limit is not raised;

Voters say 67 - 25 percent that an agreement to raise the debt ceiling should include tax hikes for the wealthy and corporations, not just spending cuts;

Voters say 45 - 37 percent that Obama's proposals to raise revenues are "closing loopholes," rather than "tax hikes";

But voters say 57 - 30 percent that Obama's proposals will impact the middle class, not just the wealthy.

"The American people aren't very happy about their leaders, but President Barack Obama is viewed as the best of the worst, especially when it comes to the economy," said Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling institute.

"Americans overwhelmingly disapprove of President Obama's handling of the economy, but by 2-1 they pin the blame on former President George W. Bush rather than Obama, who is now more than 60 percent through his term of office."

"Given this public view, it might be reasonable to expect that the president's re-election campaign will be, as it was in 2008, running against the former president, in addition to the actual GOP nominee," said Brown. "The key voting bloc, independents, say 49 - 24 percent that Bush is more responsible for the economy than Obama."
In a Yes or No question, I also disapprove the way Obama is handling the economy in the sense that I want him to do more rather than acquiesce to GOP's fantasy demands. But more importantly, GOP is playing with fire here.

Meadows said:

*The crazy ones tend to get the most press. Romney and Huntsman aren't bad per se but there isn't really much narrative or enthusiasm about either.

*Bachmann is gaining traction, but its too early to say whether or not that traction is sustainable.

*Huntsman is also reasonable, but has no support.

*"no matter what" is a stretch. He still polls better than all known republican challengers right now, and has a substantial fundraising advantage none of the republicans will be able to match. He COULD lose, but against this crop it's not very likely at this point.

gcubed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom