• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmo

Banned
"Multiple sites" lol.

Apparently they all took the new press protocol to mean it must be coming today. Great reporting.

ToxicAdam said:
Do you think Scalia will murmur, "This is a big fucking deal" while they read the announcement?

LOL, if only for the hilarity and to stick it to Obama for publicly chastising the SCOTUS on Citizen United during the State of the Union.

Mac_Lane

It'll probably be on Monday then.

As a French Gaffer, I hope the SC will uphold the entirety of the law because for once you were getting closer to modern standards on health care.

Kennedy and Roberts better make the right decision, after the disastrous Citizens United ruling.

eznark

Banned

As a French Gaffer, I hope the SC will uphold the entirety of the law because for once you were getting closer to modern standards on health care.

Kennedy and Roberts better make the right decision, after the disastrous Citizens United ruling.

lol

codhand

Right on mon ami.

Chichikov

They have requested documents far beyond the operational scope of the program aand their investigaton
How would you know that?
And more importantly, why do you think it's a good idea to let the president to decide what he disclose and what he doesn't?

If he's worried about agents safety or what's not (which would surprise me, considering what we know of the story) he can have a closed doors hearing, there are people with high clearance in congress.

And this is not only about Obama or Fast and Furious, this is what we allow future presidents to get away with.

p.s.
Again, find me one case in history when hiding information from the public after the fact was a good idea.

ToxicAdam

A giant handout to the insurance industry and doing very little to curb the total health care costs is a step forward?

benjipwns

Banned
FOX v. FCC:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court has thrown out fines and sanctions against broadcasters who violated the Federal Communications Commission policy regulating curse words and nudity on broadcast television.

The justices declined on Thursday to issue a broad ruling on the constitutionality of the FCC indecency policy. Instead, the court concluded only that broadcasters could not have known in advance that obscenities uttered during awards show programs and a brief display of nudity on an episode of ABC's NYPD Blue could give rise to sanctions.

The justices said the FCC is free to revise its indecency policy.

benjipwns

Banned
Goddamn. The SC will save the HC ruling until the very last moment, won't they?
I feel like they will, unless they have some ruling they want to paper over like "IN A DOUBLE WHAMMY POLYGAMY IS LEGAL" or "TED TURNER NOW OWNS ALL AMERICANS."

It kind of is a pretty big handout to the insurance companies. If the mandate is upheld, they get a ton of new paying customers.

Half of the people who would gain insurance through the new health care law will get it through Medicaid. The other half have to get it through private insurers in regulated exchanges that are held to a certain spending standard, of which consumers are already seeing the benefits. If you want to look at it as the insurance industry getting more customers, sure, I guess you can call it a handout. But with its common connotation of being "free money," then that's really misleading.
Single payer would have been better.
I hadn't realized I disputed that anywhere.
Focusing on the insurance side of things was always misguided. Hospitals aren't good guys either.
"Insurance" doesn't really imply hospitals, so I wasn't mentioning that. That said, if single-payer had been past without nationalizing most hospitals, I guess you could call that a handout to the hospitals even then.

Chichikov

A giant handout to the insurance industry and doing very little to curb the total health care costs is a step forward?
I think it is.
I'm not a huge fan of the mandate, never was, but I still think the bill as a whole improve the current situation.
But yeah, this is more a reflection of the sad state of healthcare in this country than a praise for Obamacare.

p.s.
I'm curious, what type of solution do you support?

You didn't, I was merely stating that was how I felt about the whole thing. It wasn't meant to imply that you were disputing it at all.
Thanks for the clarification. Obviously single-payer would be better than the ACA, but I'll defend as an improvement upon the status quo.

benjipwns

Banned
"But whatever people think of the law, they don't want a Supreme Court ruling against it to be the last word on health care reform. More than three-fourths of Americans want their political leaders to undertake a new effort, rather than leave the health care system alone if the court rules against the law, according to the poll."

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Poll-U-S-needs-a-health-care-plan-3650586.php#ixzz1yRTBfVI2

Surprised it's only 3/4ths
Important part is still if they strike the mandate or the entire law. If it's just the mandate, the entire private insurance market is going to collapse. No idea if polls internalize this.

Required snarky point about mandates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoSnqofelsQ

daedalius

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously single-payer would be better than the ACA, but I'll defend as an improvement upon the status quo.

I agree with this, we obviously couldn't keep going with the status quo, costs are out of control.

Its a step in the right direction, I just don't think we are where we should be yet. Of course to get there, it would require everyone to be able to get affordable healthcare while simultaneously reducing the wild costs it has risen to. I'm not particularly sure how to accomplish that.

eznark

Banned
On the one important ruling from today:

http://reason.com/blog#article_159856

Public-sector unions have the right under the First Amendment to express their views on political and social issues without government interference. But employees who choose not to join a union have the same rights. The First Amendment creates a forum in which all may seek, without hindrance or aid from the State, to move public opinion and achieve their political goals.... Therefore, when a public-sector union imposes a special assessment or dues increase, the union must provide a fresh Hudson notice and may not exact any funds from nonmembers without their affirmative consent.

That's actually kind of huge. Forcing employees to opt-in to new political funding.

Important part is still if they strike the mandate or the entire law. If it's just the mandate, the entire private insurance market is going to collapse. No idea if polls internalize this.

Required snarky point about mandates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoSnqofelsQ
Not necessarily. Remember, the ACA provides subsidies to people within a certain income range to help afford insurance, with or without the mandate (unless the law is thrown out or this part of the law is thrown out with it). Some of these people will purchase insurance because it's affordable now. Because of the subsidies, the insurance death spiral, as seen in states like Washington and New Jersey, may not play out on the national level, or more likely won't be as severe. Nobody knows what, exactly, the lack of a mandate will have on health care in this manner.

Everybody does agree, though, that without the mandate the law won't be nearly as effective. People will only sign up in large numbers if there is a mandate in place, and thus the effectiveness of the ACA's cost control measures will be reduced.

eznark

Banned
If the mandate is struck down it will embolden the GOP in congress and they'll simply not fund the exchanges. The states who have already taken steps to set theirs up will be straight fucked.

I think striking down just the mandate will make for some insane summer politics. Either other option will just make for a lot of sound with no fury.

ToxicAdam

I think it is.
p.s.
I'm curious, what type of solution do you support?

I don't have an all-encompassing answer, but I would support a system where the government provides free preventative care and services for everyone, provides the consumer with an incredible amount of information on costs/etc. Empower the patient with information so they can shop around for the best deal/service. Then insurance takes over from there to cover the treatment. But insurance shouldn't be mandated, if I am a healthy 30 year old male just trying to establish myself, I shouldn't have to buy insurance if i so chose. It's a small gamble, but that's what we do constantly in life. I think those two solutions alone would remarkably improve not only costs .. but overall outcomes of our collective health.

The current system we have now completely leaves the consumer at the whim of what arrangement the health care provider (usually pre-determined by an employer) and the insurance companies decide. With no way of comparing or knowing if you are getting hosed in the process. You are just a cork bobbing in an ocean of ignorance.

You can pay 1000 dollars for an ambulance ride, but no way of knowing if someone on the other side of town paid the same amount. Nor any recourse if someone paid 1/4 of that.

benjipwns

Banned
Nobody knows what, exactly, the lack of a mandate will have on health care in this manner.
It's pretty obvious.

You can't subsidize it or every employer will drop coverage and send everyone into the exchanges. If you leave all the various regulations in place they can't sell cheap plans, etc. The entire thing implodes.

HHS can't even fucking figure out how to implement the plans they have in place now, let alone the clusterfuck that's occurring with implementing everything forward.

There's a reason the GOP proposed this as a STOP GAP plan against HillaryCare.

codhand

It's a small gamble, but that's what we do constantly in life.

It is not a small gamble. And certainly not the type of risk I would want to do "constantly", unless I didn't value my own life.

Obama's lead falls 10 points in a single day.
Poll: Obama With A 3-Point Lead Over Romney Nationally

President Barack Obama holds a 3-point lead over Mitt Romney among registered voters nationwide, according to a new poll released Thursday.

The latest installment from AP/Gfk shows Obama earning the support of 47 percent of American voters, while Romney trails with 44 percent. That’s a far cry from Wednesday’s Bloomberg poll, which showed Obama with a surprising 13-point edge over the presumptive Republican nominee. The AP/Gfk survey illustrates a sharp divide among voters over which candidate would do more to repair the nation’s economy: 46 percent believe Obama would do a better job handling the economy, compared with 45 percent who think Romney is a better choice on that front.

The PollTracker Average currently shows Obama with a 1.7 percentage point advantage over Romney.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/poll-obama-with-3-point-lead-over-romney

It's pretty obvious.

You can't subsidize it or every employer will drop coverage and send everyone into the exchanges. If you leave all the various regulations in place they can't sell cheap plans, etc. The entire thing implodes.

HHS can't even fucking figure out how to implement the plans they have in place now, let alone the clusterfuck that's occurring with implementing everything forward.

We'll see. I haven't read anything that says employers will do what you say they'll do, but I do agree that the law will not be as effective if the mandate isn't in place. It'll cause people to be without insurance.

It's pretty obvious.

Employers will keep offering coverage for the same reason they offer coverage today: To entice people to work for them. In fact, it was more cost effective for them to drop coverage for employees before the ACA than after.

benjipwns

Banned
We'll see. I haven't read anything that says employers will do what you say they'll do, but I do agree that the law will not be as effective if the mandate isn't in place. It'll cause people to be without insurance.
And that's the point, because the exchanges and subsidies are not there for people eligible for Medicaid it's way up there. It's for the "middle class" that's going to be kicked out of their plans.

Employers who don't ditch people into the exchanges will be morons. Especially when you take into account any regulations that demand plans they aren't willing to pay for yet the government will.

Those of us below the penalty won't matter, we just won't get a tax rebate. But employers will get to shove people onto exchanges, and insurance companies will get to soak up all the compilers.

Without the mandate, but with all the other aspects of the law? You don't get the latter. That's why it falls apart.
Employers will keep offering coverage for the same reason they offer coverage today: To entice people to work for them. In fact, it was more cost effective for them to drop coverage for employees before the ACA than after.
Hey, if you trust employers, why not mandate they pay us $100 an hour too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom