• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalius

Once people start being denied care they will.

It's not a health care issue, it's a role of society/government issue. That's why I don't tend to post on the topic. It's not political, not really.

That is a high price to pay for those 'examples'.

And it would probably work, too. Not that I agree with that approach.

ToxicAdam

I'm talking about how it actually works now.

It doesn't work like that now, otherwise Obama never would have authorized NCFRR. Simpsons-Bowles would be a meaningless expression. Revenues, debt and deficits matter. They decide elections.

The reality is the people that would have the power and authority to enact your solution(s) would never make it to office or would quickly be thrown out in the next election. That's it. It's that simple.

Mosler is a prime example. How did he fair?

I believe yes, that is exactly what he just said. Again don't hold your breath for sympathy. Apparently if toxicadam gets sick, ez has two tears in a bucket for him.

I have insurance. But at an earlier age it was terrific to have the choice.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
But you already know that currency is based on something imaginary, right? That's not really at issue because you understand a $1 bill to just be a piece of paper. Its value (aside from its utility as actual paper) is socially constructed, and in large part what gives it value to a member of society is the government's demand that you pay taxes in those dollars (or risk adverse personal consequences--hello Wesley Snipes).

Anyway, I think you have this backwards, goods and services are the ultimate goal of an economy and do have intrinsic value (well, not literally intrinsic, but value widely recognized by other human beings). Money is just the grease that helps the creation and distribution of these intrinsically valuable things along.

Right, I get that, though I would semantically parse your use of "grease" instead of a goods/service equivalent, since currency is how those are converted from one to the other (like a measure of energy).

What I take issue with is the idea that a government can just inflate its currency to pay for anything it wants and/or to erase any debt. I'm sure you have some academic support, I'm just imagining that this would be a quick way to have an actual worthless currency, rather than one imaginably worthless.

That's called inflation, right? What am I missing? If it's so easy and obvious, why hasn't the idea won out?

Become cripple or die!! doesn't work on anyone.

Average median household income in US is $40,000. People are barely making ends meet, and many (just like Congress) would rather punt the issue to the last moment.

It doesn't work like that now, otherwise Obama never would have authorized NCFRR.

Obama does not understand the monetary system.

Simpsons-Bowles would be a meaningless expression.

Well no. Not meaningless. It's misguided because it is premised on a failure to understand the monetary system and the results were harmful because they disregard macroeconomic thought.

Revenues, debt and deficeits matter.

Not for the reasons you think. Revenues matter because they express how much money the government is destroying over a given time period, which impacts aggregate demand. Debt matters because it expresses the size of the national bank, a government spending program that favors higher income earners. And deficits matter because they express how much money the government has net spent over a given time period, which impacts aggregate demand. That is how each matters. None matters per se but only in relation to the real economy.

The reality is the people that would have the power and authority to enact your solution(s) would never make it to office. That's it. It's that simple.

Hence why I have to keep repeating myself. First you revel in paying corporations inflated sums for services, and now you revel in the fact that the political class is ignorant. The ignorance of (and sometimes class consciousness of and deliberate obfuscation by) the political class is not a good enough reason for me to stop making sense. I am not going to start talking about the universe in creationist terms just because a lot of politicians are stupid enough to believe it (or at least pretend they are). That's what you are asking me to do.

What I take issue with is the idea that a government can just inflate its currency to pay for anything it wants and/or to erase any debt. I'm sure you have some academic support, I'm just imagining that this would be a quick way to have an actual worthless currency, rather than one imaginably worthless.

That's called inflation, right? What am I missing? If it's so easy and obvious, why hasn't the idea won out?

What you are missing is what a lot of people miss when they first hear about this. And that is that there is no difference between "inflate its currency" and "spending." Every time the government spends money (on anything, for any reason) it creates money. All spending is the mathematical equivalent of money creation at the point of spending. And all revenue is the mathematical equivalent of money destruction. So the government is constantly "inflating" and "deflating" its currency. The only question is the appropriate rate of money creation (or destruction, although the norm will be creation because more money is needed over time to circulate in a growing economy with a growing population). Figuring out what that appropriate rate of "inflation" is requires looking to the broader economy to see whether and how much it needs to be heated up.

I am using inflation in scare quotes because it is not technically inflation. Inflation is a rise in the price of goods and services, not a rise in the amount of money in circulation. A rise in the amount of money in circulation may cause inflation (if the economy's productive capacity is maxed out) but it is not itself inflation.

Right, I get that, though I would semantically parse your use of "grease" instead of a goods/service equivalent, since currency is how those are converted from one to the other (like a measure of energy).

The idea isn't that the Government can just print its way out of any problem. That is false. The idea is that Government spending is not constrained by revenue but by inflation. The Government can print money until inflation becomes a problem. Empty Vessel then, additionally as an opinion, goes on to say that currently inflation is not a problem so that the Government CAN print more money right now and that money should be used for Single Payer Healthcare, Infrastructure Spending, Jobs for anyone who wants one, etc.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The idea isn't that the Government can just print its way out of any problem. That is false. The idea is that Government spending is not constrained by revenue but by inflation. The Government can print money until inflation becomes a problem. Empty Vessel then, additionally as an opinion, goes on to say that currently inflation is not a problem so that the Government CAN print more money right now and that money should be used for Single Payer Healthcare, Infrastructure Spending, Jobs for anyone who wants one, etc.

But that (bold) is absolutely correct! It's the second part I don't understand, in addition to trying to determine how much room in inflationary terms the Govt has to work with.

ToxicAdam

Obama is closest thing to Kenseyian (and Kenyan .. heyooo) that's ever going to win the Presidency. So again, you are not dealing in the reality of the world we live in.

Well no. Not meaningless. It's misguided because it is premised on a failure to understand the monetary system and the results were harmful because they disregard macroeconomic thought.

It's not misguided. Because it's a solution to a problem that the voters desperately want to see addressed.

Not for the reasons you think. Revenues matter because they express how much money the government is destroying over a given time period, which impacts aggregate demand.

No, revenues matter because that's what Congress uses to set budgets. Budgets that decide how much service they provide to the people.

Hence why I have to keep repeating myself. First you revel in paying corporations inflated sums for services, and now you revel in the fact that the political class is ignorant.

Explaining to someone how reality works is not reveling in it. Merely reporting.

I am not going to start talking about the universe in creationist terms just because a lot of politicians are stupid enough to believe it (or at least pretend they are). That's what you are asking me to do.

Evolution has concrete, hard evidence that it works (and is working). Neo-chartalism has .... ?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^Reagan was more of a Keynesian than Obama, for one. Second, even Romney has acknowledged the relationship between government spending and the economy, noting that his planned cuts would take something like $3B out of the economy. Not sure I buy your theory that a keynes is dead in the US. They just have to call it something else.

Obama would have probably been +10 in every poll against Santorum right now. It's a damn shame he didn't win.

Part of that is that none of the serious candidates (Jeb/McDaniels) actually ran, which is also why the "field" has exactly one serious VP candidate in it as well.

codhand

Not for the reasons you think. Revenues matter because they express how much money the government is destroying over a given time period, which impacts aggregate demand. Debt matters because it expresses the size of the national bank, a government spending program that favors higher income earners. And deficits matter because they express how much money the government has net spent over a given time period, which impacts aggregate demand. That is how each matters. None matters per se but only in relation to the real economy.

Hence why I have to keep repeating myself. First you revel in paying corporations inflated sums for services, and now you revel in the fact that the political class is ignorant. The ignorance of (and sometimes class consciousness of and deliberate obfuscation by) the political class is not a good enough reason for me to stop making sense. I am not going to start talking about the universe in creationist terms just because a lot of politicians are stupid enough to believe it (or at least pretend they are). That's what you are asking me to do.

cot damn, class adjourned.

Seems awfully hard in the current environment to publicly state those particular views on debt, and deficit. To not state them, doesn't automatically mean you don't understand the monetary system, could just mean it's politically nuclear to express that opinion, at least now.

What you are missing is what a lot of people miss when they first hear about this. And that is that there is no difference between "inflate its currency" and "spending." Every time the government spends money (on anything, for any reason) it creates money. All spending is the mathematical equivalent of money creation at the point of spending. And all revenue is the mathematical equivalent of money destruction. So the government is constantly "inflating" and "deflating" its currency. The only question is the appropriate rate of money creation (or destruction, although the norm will be creation because more money is needed over time to circulate in a growing economy with a growing population). Figuring out what that appropriate rate of "inflation" is requires looking to the broader economy to see whether and how much it needs to be heated up.

I am using inflation in scare quotes because it is not technically inflation. Inflation is a rise in the price of goods and services, not a rise in the amount of money in circulation. A rise in the amount of money in circulation may cause inflation (if the economy's productive capacity is maxed out) but it is not itself inflation.

I should add to this that "inflating the currency" (increasing the amount of money) will devalue the currency against other currency, but that is by and large invisible within the economy. It affects international trade, and a devalued currency means more sales and exports for businesses within the economy. And there is a natural bottoming-out that occurs here, because as exports increase and the economy heats up as a result, government spending should fall (or taxes should rise).

Evolution has concrete, hard evidence that it works (and is working). Neo-chartalism has .... ?

Neo-chartalism is an empirical description of the monetary system, just as evolution is an empirical description of the formation of biological life. That is why it is important. It describes the system of fiat currency that we actually use.

But that (bold) is absolutely correct! It's the second part I don't understand, in addition to trying to determine how much room in inflationary terms the Govt has to work with.

Can you explain what part you don't understand more specifically?

I'll admit, I am not knowledgable on determining the inflationary wiggle room the government has outside of waking up in the morning, looking out the window, and seeing inflation is only 1.7% and we are aiming for 2.3%. I do know that spending puts upwards pressure on inflation and that taxing puts downward pressure on inflation, so if inflation begins to creep up that is when we raise taxes/cut spending.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Can you explain what part you don't understand more specifically?

I'll admit, I am not knowledgable on determining the inflationary wiggle room the government has outside of waking up in the morning, looking out the window, and seeing inflation is only 1.7% and we are aiming for 2.3%. I do know that spending puts upwards pressure on inflation and that taxing puts downward pressure on inflation, so if inflation begins to creep up that is when we raise taxes/cut spending.

I think what he doesn't get, and what I also don't quite get, is why creating large amounts of money to help infrastructure and the economy currently wouldn't have negative inflation effects.

I think what he doesn't get, and what I also don't quite get, is why creating large amounts of money to help infrastructure and the economy currently wouldn't have negative inflation effects.

It would definately increase inflationary pressure. Would the increase in inflation (whatever it ends up being) be worse than the benefit of infrastructure and economic spending right now? The part of increased spending was all opinion, like calling for more stimulus now is, not describing how the economics work.

ToxicAdam

^Reagan was more of a Keynesian than Obama, for one. Second, even Romney has acknowledged the relationship between government spending and the economy, noting that his planned cuts would take something like $3B out of the economy. Not sure I buy your theory that a keynes is dead in the US. They just have to call it something else.

I think it's a mistake to go by a President's record in some regards. Reagan had a powerful Democrat Congress and a Cold War pushing him to spend, whereas Obama had blue dogs and other deficit hawks (Tea Party backlash) holding him back. Congress holds the purse.

If you gave both men total control of the economy, I think it's pretty clear which way they would shake out on the spectrum given their pasts.

Because the money that gets injected increases aggregate demand (more people have money to spend and want to do so). That in turn causes producers to begin utilizing capital and labor that is currently idle as a result of a less than optimized economy. Businesses will hire more workers to produce more goods in response to the increased demand.

Inflation occurs only when too much money is chasing too few goods (which causes sellers to have to raise prices). In short, in an economy with idle capital and labor (unemployed people) the increase in money circulating in the economy is met with an increase in goods and services to meet the demand, so you will not get a rise in prices. One sees inflation when capacity to produce is already maximized (no idle capital, no idle labor), such that further increases in money can only cause more money to chase the same amount of goods. That is what causes a rise in prices known as inflation.

It's important to keep in mind, too, that while inflation is not good and imposes unwarranted costs on a society, unemployment imposes far more costs. People not working represents a huge loss in wealth that could have been created if they were put to work. Currently, the pendulum on the balance between inflation and unemployment is way out of whack. Our society is losing an immense amount of wealth from unemployment.

A rise in the amount of money in circulation may cause inflation (if the economy's productive capacity is maxed out) but it is not itself inflation.
And this is why spending is absolutely necessary during an economic depression. During such times, people simply hold their savings in bank accounts which on any other day they spend it on useless shit. To a government, that money is "lost" from circulation.

To fully appreciate lost money from circulation, if 100 million people do not spend $100 (just a rough figure), that is $10 billion "missing" from economy which during a non-recession period should be "there". We need most money in circulation during a depression.

I also want to make sure I was clear on, MMT is not advocating for any specific policy, not for more or less spending. It is just stating that with a fiat currency a government is not constrained by revenue since it can technically print all the money it wants. The practical constraint on government printing/spending money is inflation. Now determine whether the government has the room spend/tax on programs based on this, not on how much revenue it is taking in.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think it's a mistake to go by a President's record in some regards. Reagan had a powerful Democrat Congress and a Cold War pushing him to spend, whereas Obama had blue dogs and other deficit hawks (Tea Party backlash) holding him back. Congress holds the purse.

If you gave both men total control of the economy, I think it's pretty clear which way they would shake out on the spectrum given their pasts.

This is nonsense, TA. You are always your record. Pretending otherwise is where we get ideas that Obama is somehow anti-guns, pro-environment, or a big spender. He's done absolutely none of the above, but these conspiracy nutjobs that say that congress held him back look really silly.

Jackson50

Excuse me for not holding my breath.
By Joshua Partlow, Updated: Thursday, June 21, 2:13 PM

KABUL — Ahead of an international conference aimed at collecting billions more in foreign aid for Afghanistan, President Hamid Karzai on Thursday urged his government to step up the fight against the corruption that has eroded his administration’s credibility over the years.

“Corruption has reached its peak in this country,” Karzai told lawmakers in the parliament building in Kabul. “It is our responsibility to improve. If we heal this pain, then Afghanistan will be independent and progressive.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...2/06/21/gJQAxC2LsV_story.html?wprss=rss_world

How Lucky is Obama in His Opponent?

Even though I was saying this same thing yesterday, I disagree that Romney could be a more generic conservative candidate. It's just that through circumstance he's the worst possible generic conservative.
Mildly lucky, perhaps. I don't think there would be an appreciable difference between Romney and the alternatives listed. I'll say Obama's fortunate that the Republican base is extreme enough not to even countenance nominating a moderate.

ToxicAdam

I also want to make sure I was clear on, MMT is not advocating for any specific policy, not for more or less spending. It is just stating that with a fiat currency a government is not constrained by revenue since it can technically print all the money it wants. The practical constraint on government printing/spending money is inflation. Now determine whether the government has the room spend/tax on programs based on this, not on how much revenue it is taking in.

See, I don't see how it can NOT be tied to policy in America. To get from the paradigm that exists today, to where MMT is actively being put into motion (sufficiently!) is going to take a major change in budgetary policy. Changes that will be campaigned for/against.

It seems like people want to have it both ways. They want to say this is what works, yet do not want to admit the possible ramifications of actively advocating those actions.

PL said:
This is nonsense, TA. You are always your record. Pretending otherwise is where we get ideas that Obama is somehow anti-guns, pro-environment, or a big spender. He's done absolutely none of the above, but these conspiracy nutjobs that say that congress held him back look really silly.

It's not nonsense. It's being logical and rational. Nonsense would be accrediting everything that happens in office to the person sitting in the President's seat on that given day (which of course happens). There are no definitive statements when talking about Presidential preferences. You can still have a nuanced discussion about the compromises that were made and why they did it.

Do you think Obama would have pushed for a bigger stimulus package if there was no resistance? I do. But he had to work with what he had at that moment. Same with Reagan. He had acqueisce many times to get the increases in military spending that he desperately wanted.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

I agree with you about everything except this. The Chairman DOES understand the monetary system, he's just intentionally acting like he doesn't so that he can some how seem reasonable to the right wingers.

Oblivion

I think it's a mistake to go by a President's record in some regards. Reagan had a powerful Democrat Congress and a Cold War pushing him to spend, whereas Obama had blue dogs and other deficit peacocks (Tea Party backlash) holding him back.

Fixed.

The small stimulus was because Obama's economic team underestimated the severity of the recession.

its also because republicans in congress insisted that a large chunk of that stimulus be "tax cuts" which are wildly ineffective at actually stimulating anything.

had the stimulus been 100% infrastructure or whatever, the effect would have been greater.

Oblivion

its also because republicans in congress insisted that a large chunk of that stimulus be "tax cuts" which are wildly ineffective at actually stimulating anything.

had the stimulus been 100% infrastructure or whatever, the effect would have been greater.

The best part of the tax cut thing is that Republicans love to include the effect they had on the deficit while simultaneously arguing that tax cuts (that they want at least) don't contribute to the deficit.

Chumly

Anyone read Boehner's memo? I like how they still have NO solutions other than to repeal obamacare. They complain all the time that Obama has no solution yet the only thing they can muster up is "commen sense" policies. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...........

Oblivion

Just gonna drop this right here...

imagesizer

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
In other news;
With gas prices expected to drop through the election, what could have been a undeserving thorn in the Obama reelection campaign won't be an issue.

codhand

A peak at the "small gamble" you take without insurance.

Shoulder surgery bill for a 31 year old. Again, major medical surgery, paid by the employer, a real person. I'm not posting this to provide proof that a large percentage of 30 year old's get major medical surgery, but proof that these situations do happen, and they suck. Important to me, regardless of the percentage it represents, one individual (otherwise healthy and productive) having to pay a medical bill they cant afford, is too many in my opinion.

Chumly

Shoulder surgery bill for a 31 year old. Again, major medical surgery, paid by the employer, a real person. I'm not posting this to provide proof that a large percentage of 30 year old's get major medical surgery, but proof that these situations do happen, and they suck. Important to me, regardless of the percentage it represents, one individual (otherwise healthy and productive) having to pay a medical bill they cant afford, is too many in my opinion.

One-third of young adults face medical bill troubles, debt
(CBS News) Almost 40 percent of young adults between the ages of 19 and 29 did not have health insurance at some point in 2011, according to a new report from the Commonwealth Fund.

The report also found that more than one-third (36 percent) of young adults had medical bill problems or were currently paying off medical debt. Of those individuals, 43 percent faced serious financial troubles, 32 percent couldn't make their student loans or tuition payments, 31 percent put off education or career plans, and 28 percent couldn't afford essentials such as food, heat or rent because of medical bills

Those who were uninsured or had a gap in coverage were at greatest risk: 51 percent of young adults who were uninsured when surveyed and nearly half with a gap in coverage during the year had a medical bill problem or medical debt. The costs weren't small either. One-quarter of young adults who were paying off medical debt owed $4,000 or more, and 15 percent reported $8,000 or more in debt. Among those with a gap in coverage during the year who were paying off debt, 31 percent had $4,000 or more of medical debt, 21 percent had $8,000 or more and 11 percent had $10,000 or more.

The survey also reflected how health insurance can help these young adults. Eighty-five percent of young adults who were insured during the survey had a regular doctor or place of care, while only 38 percent of those without insurance accessed such care. Rates of preventive care, such as weight and blood pressure checks, were also lower for those with any coverage gaps or who were uninsured. Rates for dental care were similar.

"There's no question that young people have cut back on high-value screenings, doctor visits and therapies," Dr. Mark Fendrick, director of the University of Michigan Center for Value-Based Insurance Design, told CNN. "You twist your knee playing soccer and you go to get an MRI. But if the doctor says you have to pay 50 percent of the cost, you're going to be less likely to go through with it," he said.

GAMBLE AWAY BABY!

In the style of the esteemed PantherLotus, allow me to suggest that you find a Utopia Thread to go post in.

More seriously: the point I expressed frustration with before was the conviction you appear to hold that conjuring up instances or young people with outsize medical bills should cause us to reflect differently on actuarial truths about the cost of insuring that cohort. I don't think anyone asserted that young people never become ill or get injured, so it's not clear what your posting of this anecdote is supposed to accomplish. Your reaction reminds me of the reaction of many women's groups to the announcement that most women were getting too many mammograms, or men's groups to the comparable announcement about prostate exams.

PantherLotus: what I want out of this thread is an intellectually honest dialogue about politics and policy. Propagating partisan memes about the "optics" of retail politics interferes with that; that's why I get annoyed when Kosmo does it. And I don't much see the point in arguing about whether anecdotal evidence is a useful baseline from which to generate an understanding of how the healthcare system works and how it doesn't.

Chumly

In the style of the esteemed PantherLotus, allow me to suggest that you find a Utopia Thread to go post in.

More seriously: the point I expressed frustration with before was the conviction you appear to hold that conjuring up instances or young people with outsize medical bills should cause us to reflect differently on actuarial truths about the cost of insuring that cohort. I don't think anyone asserted that young people never become ill or get injured, so it's not clear what your posting of this anecdote is supposed to accomplish. Your reaction reminds me of the reaction of many women's groups to the announcement that most women were getting too many mammograms, or men's groups to the comparable announcement about prostate exams.

PantherLotus: what I want out of this thread is an intellectually honest dialogue about politics and policy. Propagating partisan memes about the "optics" of retail politics interferes with that; that's why I get annoyed when Kosmo does it. And I don't much see the point in arguing about whether anecdotal evidence is a useful baseline from which to generate an understanding of how the healthcare system works and how it doesn't.
CHARTS

At what point does it because serious? 20% of young adults have medical debt. What does it need to be? 40%? 50%? Young adults are also the most likely to be unemployed along with they are make significantly less on average than older adults. The costs are definitely going to be making more of an impact than someone who is 40.

ToxicAdam

No one has said that people should not be insured. No one said that accidents don't happen to people. In fact, I believe that single payer is the only solution to our problems, but that doesn't seem politically viable.

What was said was that the choice to be insured should be left to the individual. At certain points in people's life they may want to elect to go without insurance if they feel the time is right for them.

What was said was that the likelihood of a healthy 30 year old to require significant medical attention is small. Which it is and I provided nationwide evidence to illustrate so.

There are people in their 20's and 30's who do not have life insurance. Those who do not have a will. That is the choice they make because they know the likelihood of them needing it is small.

-- // --

Having private insurance isn't the foolproof answer to protecting yourself anyways. As 3/4 of people that go bankrupt because of a medical bills HAD insurance at the time.

Chumly said:
20% of young adults have medical debt.

That's a shame, but not surprising considering the astronomical unemployment rate among that age group.

But it's not even half of the national average among working-age adults.

No one has said that people should not be insured. No one said that accidents don't happen to people.

What was said was that the choice to be insured should be left to the individual. At certain points in people's life they may want to elect to go without insurance if they feel the time is right for them.

Nah. That kind of irresponsibility can affect me negatively. And it's stupid. How is the time ever "right" to risk a medical emergency? It's not like one can plan not to have one. They just happen. Like natural disasters. Hence, insurance. Why should I let people gamble when I am charged when they lose biggest? Heads, they win, tails, I lose. No thanks.

Besides, having a single purchaser of health care makes health care collectively cheaper through the magic of monopsony. See WalMart.

Chumly

No one has said that people should not be insured. No one said that accidents don't happen to people. In fact, I believe that single payer is the only solution to our problems, but that doesn't seem politically viable.

What was said was that the likelihood of a healthy 30 year old to require significant medical attention is small. Which it is and I provided nationwide evidence to illustrate so.

There are people in their 20's and 30's who do not have life insurance. Those who do not have a will. That is the choice they make because they know the likelihood of them needing it is small.

-- // --

Having private insurance isn't the foolproof answer to protecting yourself anyways. As 3/4 of people that go bankrupt because of a medical bills HAD insurance at the time.

We don't allow people to go without car insurance. Ive gone 10 years without causing an accident or getting a ticket yet I'm forced to get it. That is something I can control by driving safely. Medical insurance can be the same way except when you take the gamble and lose you just push the costs back onto taxpayers and everyone else through higher prices. Why should we be paying for other peoples gambles?

That's a shame, but not surprising considering the astronomical unemployment rate among that age group.

But it's not even half of the national average among working-age adults.

Just because its half the average for older adults doesn't make 20% any less significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom