• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

haha Romney didn't know our Labour party leader's name (Ed Miliband). He kept calling him Mr Leader. He isn't even in the government.

He looks so fucking weird when he talks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19000272

(does this work in the US?)

Romney's generating some great headlines, though.

Nor did the British press seem to appreciate Romney’s advice. “Mitt Romney questions London’s readiness for Olympic Games,” blared The Guardian, in a story that dwelt on Romney’s criticisms of the Games. The Telegraph couldn’t conceal it’s opinion of Romney’s remarks, writing, “if Mitt Romney doesn’t like us, we shouldn’t care,” and accusing Romney of launching a “charm offensive” that is “devoid of charm and mildly offensive.”

Romney was in damage-control mode Thursday, walking back his critiques and expressing confidence in the Games in a short statement after his meeting with Cameron.​

Decent economic news today; jobless claims swung down, though seasonal factors are still a driver; the trend is encouraging, though. That was alongside some positive manufacturing data.

KingGondo

Banned
True, character assassination doesn't work against incumbents like it does with challengers.
That, plus Obama is much more charismatic and likable than Kerry.

That's the thing that mystifies me about the far right nowadays--I understand if you have issues with specific things Obama has done--but I truly don't understand the incredible levels of hatred and accusations of extremism leveled against him.

Call him ineffective if you want, but he really hasn't done anything worthy of that level of bile, IMO. Some people just really, really hate him and he hasn't done anything that's terribly divisive or controversial, IMO.

Is it just a product of the right's propaganda machine? Racism?

That's the thing that mystifies me about the far right nowadays--I understand if you have issues with specific things Obama has done--but I truly don't understand the incredible levels of hatred and accusations of extremism leveled against him.

Call him ineffective if you want, but he really hasn't done anything worthy of that level of bile, IMO. Some people just really, really hate him and he hasn't done anything that's terribly divisive or controversial, IMO.

The right loves to be "disgusted" and "outraged". I saw a study on it once somewhere....

Puddles

Banned
Obama's also weathered about as much brutal character assassination as they can muster over the last four years. He has only a few things in his past that they could use (Rev. Wright, etc) and the GOP constantly harping on them has, IMO, backfired because now its just background noise.

Yes. Basically, everyone who thinks he's a Marxist Kenyan Muslim is already planning to vote against him. Anyone who thinks he might not be a Marxist Kenyan Muslim at this point isn't going to be convinced by November.

Some people literally see the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act as the modern equivalent of the Great Leap Forward.

Wes

venison crêpe
Romney confirmed to press he met the head of MI6. Something you're never supposed to do. He was also backing off his earlier British Olympics bashing comments.

Our press over here really seem to be laying in to him as a bit of a joke.

In the words of one twitter user:
"Only someone who understands our Anglo-Saxon heritage could piss off the Brits so early into his trip."

Loudninja

Nor did the British press seem to appreciate Romney’s advice. “Mitt Romney questions London’s readiness for Olympic Games,” blared The Guardian, in a story that dwelt on Romney’s criticisms of the Games. The Telegraph couldn’t conceal it’s opinion of Romney’s remarks, writing, “if Mitt Romney doesn’t like us, we shouldn’t care,” and accusing Romney of launching a “charm offensive” that is “devoid of charm and mildly offensive.”

Romney was in damage-control mode Thursday, walking back his critiques and expressing confidence in the Games in a short statement after his meeting with Cameron.​

And Romney hasn't even done his overseas tour Yet.

Decent economic news today; jobless claims swung down, though seasonal factors are still a driver; the trend is encouraging, though. That was alongside some positive manufacturing data.
Let The Gaffes begins lol.

He's a Democrat. It was the same with Clinton, if not worse.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
A charm offensive that lacks charm and is mostly offensive? FUCKING GOLD LMAO

Also, I hate to break it to you TA, but you're a liberal now. I mean, unless you're willing to admit that Rush Limbaugh speaks for you, like kosmobot over there.

Romney confirmed to press he met the head of MI6. Something you're never supposed to do. He was also backing off his earlier British Olympics bashing comments.

Our press over here really seem to be laying in to him as a bit of a joke.

In the words of one twitter user:
"Only someone who understands our Anglo-Saxon heritage could piss off the Brits so early into his trip."

this is outstanding. it's amazing how dopey he is. after that racist bullshit anglo-saxon junk he pulled and then this? christ I love dopey repubs

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Clinton was at least antagonistic toward the right and sought to do big things (including truly universal health care). Obama's presidency has been almost... boring.

BUT HE KILLED BIN LADEN!

I await true universal healthcare. This stopgap between now and then is a band-aid on a bullet wound.

gcubed

Puddles is right. I probably would have voted for Jon Huntsman if he won the nomination. I strongly supported McCain in 2000 and Kemp in 1996.

But, I do vote for Democrats sometimes. I've pulled the lever for people like John Glenn, Sherrod Brown, Marcy Kaptur and a handful of other locals that people wouldn't recognize.

I call that nuanced. You sound exactly like me though.

I can't even imagine the disbelief that will occur here if Obama loses in November. I wouldn't bet on it, but it would probably be the biggest meltdown in Off Topic GAF history.

Eh, you think that but you'd be wrong... as usual. Though, I do eagerly await to see your reaction if Obama wins and the Democrats hold on to the Senate, but since you're an independent, it shouldn't affect you TOO bad... right. *wink wink*

Measley

Man, when was it not? I haven't seen one serious poll not showing him leading by above the statistical margin of error.

The media has been trying to keep Ohio in tossup territory since the general got under way, because without Ohio, Romney is done for. I think I even saw a few electoral maps where Ohio was red, which actually went against the polling data.

You can't have a thrilling horse race if one of the horses already has a broken leg. Problem is the polls have been favoring Obama the entire time here in the Buckeye state. Like you said, I haven't seen a single poll where Romney is leading except the polls that oversample Republican voters.

I knew this would eventually happen. I'm glad the mainstream media finally acknowledged the inevitable.

Kosmo

Banned
Eh, you think that but you'd be wrong... as usual. Though, I do eagerly await to see your reaction if Obama wins and the Democrats hold on to the Senate, but since you're an independent, it shouldn't affect you TOO bad... right. *wink wink*

I actually expect both to happen, so I won't be surprised at all.

Romney really doesn't care. Anything to make it seem he can be a proper leader. He would have said this believing it would look cool and Presidential back home...

Nicholas Watt@nicholaswatt
And another Mitt Romney blunder: confirmed outside No 10 he met head of MI6. Aspiring US presidents not meant to say that

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I can't even imagine the disbelief that will occur here if Obama loses in November. I wouldn't bet on it, but it would probably be the biggest meltdown in Off Topic GAF history.

It wouldn't be about disbelief though, it would be a meltdown, but a meltdown because a Romney presidency would be a catastrophe for the economy, for the middle class, for healthcare, for bank and campaign finance reform and for anyone who's not a millionaire. The current landscape of gutter politics, campaign finance atrocities and the sheer cognitive dissonance and fearmongering on the right would mean a Romney presidency would be horrific, but no more surprsing than a coin coming up tails twice ina row.

Oh...Romney

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/mitt-romney-issued-comically-bizarre-cartoon-mitt

enhanced-buzz-25205-1343315609-7.jpg

enhanced-buzz-24974-1343315603-13.jpg

As head of the Salt Lake Olympics Mitt Romney became the first Olympic executive to approve a series of commemorative pins in his likeness. (They're in the news right now because they were made in China, but their mere existence is its own indictment of Romney's judgment.)

http://news.yahoo.com/3-hospitals-wipe-limit-medical-bills-colorado-movie-004009848.html

So we have one party that (occasionally) tries to reduce guns and successfully passed a bill to get more people healthcare.
And the other party is committed to allowing anyone to buy any gun any time and campaigns on repealing the program that has got more healthcare out there.

I just find it a bit mind-boggling that so many people actually think more guns and less healthcare is the way to go. That is what we really need . . . more guns and less healthcare. Healthcare is the shitty thing to have . . . we need more guns. Go Figure.

Constitutional rights override common sense.

ToxicAdam

Also, I hate to break it to you TA, but you're a liberal now. I mean, unless you're willing to admit that Rush Limbaugh speaks for you, like kosmobot over there.

Heh, hardly. I suppose you could label me a RINO.

A real liberal would never vote for Kasich, but I will most likely vote for him next time he is up for re-election.

Chichikov

Why would you make a pin that says "mitt happens"? Do they know what that phrase is playing off of? That's just silly.
Why would you make a pin where furry animals express their love to you?
The whole thing is just bizarre.

p.s.
Where are my Peter Ueberroth pins?

DynamicG

I kinda like Kosmo's frequent four-year-old-material recycling. It means he couldn't find anything current to c/p from whatever blogs he gets his talking points from.

All this sparing with tomato can conservatives like Kosmo are giving a false sense of intellectual security to many progressives. When the intellectual wing of the right returns after the boomers die off, things are going to be different and progressives will be so used to dealing with Kosmo's that they'll be easily defeated by the new rising conservative public intellectuals.

That's only like 89% sarcastic.

Measley

Did the Romney campaign just flip-flop on their comment about Anglo-Saxon relations?

LOL

That prompted a tart rejoinder from the British prime minister, David Cameron. “We are holding an Olympic Games in one of the busiest, most active, bustling cities anywhere in the world. Of course it’s easier if you hold an Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere,” an allusion to Salt Lake City, which hosted Games that Mr. Romney oversaw.

Romney's comments and general behavior on this trip seems in line with the Bush blueprint of leadership through aggression and superiority. He can't simply congratulate Britain for a well done job (so far), instead he has to chastise them while pointing to his own US experience running the games in fucking Utah. It's hard to cultivate universal friendships when you're solely focused on showing everyone who's boss - and dismissing or outright ignoring opposing views.

I'd imagine this will go over much better in Israel though, where he'll meet a bunch of politicians as disrespectful as he is.

I think there have already been like 4 or 5 mentions of this within the last page and a half. Don't mean to be rude, but this happens every time Romney has a flub or gaffe. A cursory glance at the past page would suffice in any cases in which someone wants to post commentary.
The weird thing is I thought I did look. Maybe i was just looking at the wrong page.

Loudninja

Pennsylvania Governor Can’t Recall Requirements Of Voter ID Law He Signed
Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett (R) on Wednesday couldn’t remember when asked by reporter what forms of identification would be accepted under the voter ID law he signed earlier this year.

Corbett was asked about a new report showing that 43 percent of Philadelphia voters lack a valid form of identification issued by the state.

“We’ve been working with the nursing homes to get people new ID. It can be military ID. There’s two or three other forms right now off the top of my head I don’t have it here in front of me,” Corbett said.

The forms of ID Corbett forgot about include employee IDs issued by the federal or state government, passports and college IDs.
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...a_voter_id_law_tom_corbett.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Romney's comments and general behavior on this trip seems in line with the Bush blueprint of leadership through aggression and superiority. He can't simply congratulate Britain for a well done job (so far), instead he has to chastise them while pointing to his own US experience running the games in fucking Utah. It's hard to cultivate universal friendships when you're solely focused on showing everyone who's boss - and dismissing or outright ignoring opposing views.

No, Romney is almost completely unable to understand his audience - you don't speak to Britain like that as an American president, it just isn't the way. In other countries that may be more appropriate but not Britain. He cannot grasp that. Plus he has not been consistently 'the boss' - he first sucks up with the Anglo-Saxon comments and the critiques of Obama's supposed coldness to Britain, then he scolds, then he pulls back. He is behaving unprofessionally and incoherently - he has no idea what he is doing or how he will come across.

GhaleonEB

I think there have already been like 4 or 5 mentions of this within the last page and a half. Don't mean to be rude, but this happens every time Romney has a flub or gaffe. A cursory glance at the past page would suffice in any cases in which someone wants to post commentary.

I wonder if he's just badly advised, or just not able to follow procedure well. I remember Obama's overseas tour meeting allied leaders, and it got wall to wall press coverage; he managed it without any major issues. I wouldn't classify anything Romney has done as major, but he seems to be getting tripped up on some fairly basic protocol stuff.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think Kosmo can be plenty wrong on his own without everyone piling on. I know some of you guys call me out on it once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom