• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
income_and_taxes.png

Posted?

Tamanon

Banned
I really like the new President Obama commercial, where he's talking about the choice in plans. Calm, collected and persuasive.

ericexpo

Building high speed rail network is the simplest way of building jobs. It's the same idea of building highways in the 50's. Create a giant public work project that will employe everyone from ditch diggers to urban planners. Rebuild the trolley system in cities while they're at it, use bike lanes they already connect whole cities in clear pattern.
With highways falling apart, dumping money back into something that depends on gas staying at a reasonable price for the next 50 years seems stupid.

Jooney

Really surprised at Obama's income for those two years relative the other Presidents. I'm guessing that's due to the popularity of his books at the time of his campaign? If so, then goddam son.

Really surprised at Obama's income for those two years relative the other Presidents. I'm guessing that's due to the popularity of his books at the time of his campaign? If so, then goddam son.

Don't forget, W was a governor and his father was VP when they ran. They also didn't have the books Obama did, as you point out.

It's not like this included when W sold the Rangers, for example.

His books make him income. Other Presidents just had their megabucks cooling off in their mountain fortresses while they took a paltry 200k+ home as income.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
His books make him income. Other Presidents just had their megabucks cooling off in their mountain fortresses while they took a paltry 200k+ home as income.

He was paying off student loans til like 04. He's the only pres for a while that didn't have megabucks for a long time.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Building high speed rail network is the simplest way of building jobs. It's the same idea of building highways in the 50's. Create a giant public work project that will employe everyone from ditch diggers to urban planners. Rebuild the trolley system in cities while they're at it, use bike lanes they already connect whole cities in clear pattern.
With highways falling apart, dumping money back into something that depends on gas staying at a reasonable price for the next 50 years seems stupid.

This is obvious, but won't happen when austerity is the propaganda of the day.

Building a high speed rail network is the equivalent of financing free education, healthcare, etc. It's too good for the middle class.

Chichikov

I'm catching up on my DVR, watching GPS, and just wanted to say FUCK YOU THOMAS FRIEDMAN.
I can't believe that cunt is still peddling his neo-con bullshit in 2012.
Even if reality has failed to penetrate his thick skull, surely he understand how retarded he sound when he's advocating Iraq 3.0.

It's not easy making Paul Wolfowitz not the dumbest person in a panel, but that idiot did it.

Ugh.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mitt is such a clown. At least if he had released his horrific taxes already he might just have had time to recover. The good news is that this cycle may reduce the number of future mega rich scumbags running themselves.

Mitt is such a clown. At least if he had released his horrific taxes already he might just have had time to recover. The good news is that this cycle may reduce the number of future mega rich scumbags running themselves.
I have a feeling that would only encourage them to spend MORE money the next cycle.

GhaleonEB

Prediction: this won't slow it down; rather, they will disclose even less about their finances than Romney has.

There's a crapton of economic data out tomorrow, and I just now realized that the July employment situation report is out on Friday. My how time flies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Thanks guys. I would love to see a similar chart but with total wealth upon entry into the Presidency.

k6OD3.png

Now, some presidents, like clinton, received HUGE spikes in wealth following their presidency, but this sort of shows what you're looking for.

Depends on the part of the country I suppose. The Eastern seaboard would be well served by high-speed rail. Maybe connect a few cities along the gulf or the great lakes and the western seaboard. If you connect all the big population centers with rail lines it pretty much leaves the middle of the county with nothing.
In the middle of the country you could connect Minneapolis, Chicago, and some places in Ohio.

High-speed rail is for regional transport . . . couple things like LA, SF, San Diego, Las Vegas.

But of traveling coast-to-coast, airplanes will be better.

It would be pretty hard to argue with a politician that would stand up and say, "Now that we are out of Afghanistan and Iraq, we are going to cut our military budget back down to 2001 levels. We will then take the extra 200+ billion dollars and put that back into our own country, instead of using it to blow up others."
Seriously. Someone needs to do this.

I know its well known through history that the founding fathers were mainly powerful rich elites that just wanted to have other powerful rich elites leave them alone but goddamn. Washington could have easily installed a feudalist system.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Seriously. Someone needs to do this.

Just thinking about how big of an effect 250 billion dollars would have on this country's future if it were spent each year for 5 years on infrastructure and renovation. When the country is focused on self improvement, the people would get dragged along. Even the tards living in abject poverty who still vote Republican in Mississippi would be swayed.

GhaleonEB

Starting to think with the past couple of months worth of predictions, ADP is like the VG chartz of politics.

I think the BLS seasonal adjustments have been funky this year; I read an analysis after last month's numbers that made a compelling case. I expect this year's numbers to be revised upward, as last year was.

My expectation is that starting with this, and possibly next month's numbers we'll see a steady improvement heading into the fall.

Some stupid banner ad:

LOL. Condi has said no. Like anyone would nominate that crazy man Allen West. Jindahl, I think not. Who's the guy on the left? Portman? Rubio, possible. And mister shining borning face in middle. Yeah, go ahead and pick Pawlenty. I can't see him winning MN for ya.

Wow, I don't think I ever learned that Washington was THAT absurdly wealthy.

He wasn't that wealthy per say. It was all tied up in assets like land and slaves, so not very liquid.

I actually have. I was a bit underwhelmed by the monuments. But I guess my twelve year old self was being unrealistic.

The more I learn about Washington, the more I really believe that statement that he was very close to becoming a dictator. This is some North Korea shit.

The Apotheosis of Washington was not created till 1865, long after his death.

GhaleonEB

Democrats add gay marriage to party platform

National Democrats on Sunday approved the drafting of pro-gay marriage language into their platform at this year’s Democratic National Convention, according to a Democratic source.

The news was first reported by the Washington Blade.

President Obama came out in support of gay marriage in May, but making it a part of the Democrats’ official party platform represents another major step for the same-sex marriage movement, even beyond the president’s endorsement.

The platform drafting committee met in Minneapolis over the weekend. The full platform committee will meet in Detroit two weeks from now to take the next step, and then the platform will receive an up-or-down vote at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte early in September.

It’s not yet clear exactly what gay marriage language is included in the party platform, and Democrats declined to comment Monday. The party could offer a broad endorsement for gay marriage without going into specifics, or it could endorse a federal law.​

I'm expecting this to be more of a general endorsement, but I'm really happy to see this regardless. Pretty sure this is the first time one of the parties has formally put marriage equality on their platform; once there, it's not going way. Bravo.

KtSlime

He wasn't that wealthy per say. It was all tied up in assets like land and slaves, so not very liquid.

I didn't think wealth had to be all that liquid back then. Since the Industrial revolution was just starting and economic systems were still heavily based in agriculture, which land and slaves played an important role in.

Wow, I don't think I ever learned that Washington was THAT absurdly wealthy.

But the cool thing is that we are all better off that Washington. We've got vaccines, cars, the internet, antibiotics, cell phones, etc.

That guy had wooden teeth. LOL. I would take a studio apartment in the modern world over massive plantations back then any day of the week.

Dorpheus

Neo Member
I'm expecting this to be more of a general endorsement, but I'm really happy to see this regardless. Pretty sure this is the first time one of the parties has formally put marriage equality on their platform; once there, it's not going way. Bravo.

Very exciting. If you had told me even two years ago that this would be on a major party's platform in the following decade, I wouldn't have believed you. Now I expect marriage equality to be a reality before then. It's amazing how much a couple of years can change things.

I think the BLS seasonal adjustments have been funky this year; I read an analysis after last month's numbers that made a compelling case. I expect this year's numbers to be revised upward, as last year was.

My expectation is that starting with this, and possibly next month's numbers we'll see a steady improvement heading into the fall.
I really hope you're right.

I'm tired of meh job growth.

Tim-E

Democrats add gay marriage to party platform

National Democrats on Sunday approved the drafting of pro-gay marriage language into their platform at this year’s Democratic National Convention, according to a Democratic source.

The news was first reported by the Washington Blade.

President Obama came out in support of gay marriage in May, but making it a part of the Democrats’ official party platform represents another major step for the same-sex marriage movement, even beyond the president’s endorsement.

The platform drafting committee met in Minneapolis over the weekend. The full platform committee will meet in Detroit two weeks from now to take the next step, and then the platform will receive an up-or-down vote at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte early in September.

It’s not yet clear exactly what gay marriage language is included in the party platform, and Democrats declined to comment Monday. The party could offer a broad endorsement for gay marriage without going into specifics, or it could endorse a federal law.​

This makes me happy.

The sheer volume of evasive bullshit in that response is incredible. To parse:

"I haven't calculated that."​

How can I answer a question when I simply have no idea? Nothing to see here.

"I've paid all the taxes required by law."​

...and even if I did pay less than 13.9% in taxes, it was totally legal. If I did, that is, which I have no idea about.

"I don't pay more than are legally due"​

Seriously, all my tax evasion and sheltering is totally legal.

"I'd think people would want me to follow the law and pay only what the tax code requires."​

Seriously, totally legal to pay so incredibly very little in taxes. Super legal, in fact.

"I know that I pay a very substantial amount of taxes and every year"​

Despite paying a low rate thanks to aggressive tax evasion, I play lots in taxes. Because I'm rich as fuck.

"...so far as I can recall."​

By the way, if it's ever proven that I did in fact pay less in taxes than 13.9%, and also happens to be shown that I knew this - which I don't! - I simply forgot and all of the above bullshit is now absolved by this caveat.

Can't wait until the returns are leaked in October.

Hey remember when everyone was all in a kerfuffle over the US olympic uniforms not being made in America? Guess what! It's completely legal to make clthoes in other countries and sell them to Americans! Of course, that didn't settle the outrage.

I think this is the same logic that should apply to Mitt Romney. Yes, you could use tax shelters and loopholes to pay an absurdly low rate. But you're trying to be PRESIDENT for fucks sake, and you've known about this for at least 5 years, just pay 20% for a few years. GOD FORBID.

Wilsongt

Tim-E

http://news.yahoo.com/mitt-romney-s...polish-holy-110442318--abc-news-politics.html

Mitt Romney Spokesman Tells Reporters 'Kiss My ***' at Polish Holy Site

So not only is Romney a bumbling idiot, he also travels with bumbling idiots.

Keepin' it classy.

I hope the media doesn't let his team off with this. His spokespeople have, time and time again, made fools of themselves and behaved completely unprofessionally. If these are the kinds of people you surround yourself with, I don't think that shows very good leadership qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom