• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuomo might as well be the democrat Romney. Not a fan at all.

Martin O'Malley seems good, but I haven't done enough research on him; I do know he raised taxes somewhat significantly in his state...

Hopefully Hillary will run. I can't think of anyone else better equipped to truly lead this nation

It's PD's daily offering of incense before the Bill-Hill shrine.

Not really sure where you're getting most of those numbers, actually. $13 trillion is the total annual US income. 21% of that (what the top 1% earn before taxes) is ~$2.7 trillion.

Thats why I found his numbers odd. I knew I misread it. Oh well still $8,000 for the bottom third of Americans at the end and thats just income. My point still stands.

Tim-E

I'd probably pull for Hillary in 2016 if she changed her mind and decided to run. I think she'd be a good president and 2016 would literally be the last time she could run because she'll be 68 in 2016. She'd probably get the nomination without even trying, but then again we thought that in 2007, as well. :p I think the Democrats have some decent younger people that potentially have futures in the party.

Obama literally came out of nowhere and went from state senator to president in four years, so anything's possible, I guess.

Loudninja

Michele Bachmann: Dead author Gore Vidal’s ‘snotty, mocking attitude’ made me a conservative
“I had been a Democrat and I’d actually worked on Jimmy Carter’s campaign and I was reading a novel by Gore Vidal and when I was reading it he was mocking the Founding Fathers and all of the sudden it just occurred to me, I set the book down on my lap, I looked out the window of a train I was riding in and I thought to myself, ‘I don’t think I’m a Democrat. I think I really am a Republican,’” said Bachmann at the Young Americans for Freedom conference in Washington, D.C.

“The Founding Fathers were not the characters that I saw Gore Vidal portraying in his novel and that snotty, mocking attitude to me didn’t in any way reflect who we are as a nation,” Bachmann said.
http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/01/m...otty-mocking-attitude-made-me-a-conservative/

Tim-E

“I had been a Democrat and I’d actually worked on Jimmy Carter’s campaign and I was reading a novel by Gore Vidal and when I was reading it he was mocking the Founding Fathers and all of the sudden it just occurred to me, I set the book down on my lap, I looked out the window of a train I was riding in and I thought to myself, ‘I don’t think I’m a Democrat. I think I really am a Republican,’” said Bachmann at the Young Americans for Freedom conference in Washington, D.C.

:lol Is it that simple?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Of course it's that simple. I fully expect Mitt Romney to do the ultimate flip-flop and run for as a Democrat in 2016 if he believed it would help him get elected.

Gray Man

Banned
What? WHAT!?

What the...I don't even....

abe_lincoln_riding_a_grizzly_by_sharpwriter-d33u2nl.png

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
How brain-dead do you have to be to believe something like that? There is just no logical sense to it at all. Yeah, he stumps for Obama, raises money for Obama, he's gonna speak at the convention, etc. . . . but he's gonna vote for Mitt. All that stuff is worth FAR MORE than his single vote. Believing creationism is less of a illogical leap!

You mean you wouldn't do all that if they had your wife hostage?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
New Presdential joint polling from (Quinnipiac U./New York Times/CBS News Poll)

#romneysenttodie

Obama Approval & Senate Races

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/u...ge-in-pennsylvania-ohio-and-florida.html?_r=1

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institute...-(fl-oh-and-pa)/release-detail?ReleaseID=1781

Neat, I was one of the people polled for this. Roughly 0.08% of the Ohio results are mine! I immediately answered my phone when I saw that the caller was Quinnipiac because I don't mind being polled when it's a legitimate organization.

I don't know if this is standard pollster procedure or if I tripped some demographic switches, but I was asked afterward if I would be willing to be contacted by CBS News or the New York Times for an interview. I don't know whether or not to hope that anything comes of it.

GhaleonEB

WTF Feds

No steps to stimulate economy. Really, wtf.

It's baffling.

Information received since the Federal Open Market Committee met in June suggests that economic activity decelerated somewhat over the first half of this year.

The Committee expects economic growth to remain moderate over coming quarters and then to pick up very gradually. Consequently, the Committee anticipates that the unemployment rate will decline only slowly toward levels that it judges to be consistent with its dual mandate.

Maybe they should do something? Nah.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It's baffling.

Maybe they should do something? Nah.

I really wonder whether the neo-liberals in charge (the USA and elsewhere) have any clue as to how they should proceed. Everything they have done has failed, yet they are intellectually stunted enough to not know what else can be done.

Civic fundamentalism at its worst.

THE FOUNDING FATHERS NEVER DID NO WRONG.

Cognitive dissonance of basic facts like Slave ownership, get pushed out quickly.

They are deity's in her mind.

In the mind of many. They are not men to most americans. They are our moses.

Its so ironic because they wrote many times that government's need a change every once and awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if they would be disgusted with originalism.

I really wonder whether the neo-liberals in charge (the USA and elsewhere) have any clue as to how they should proceed. Everything they have done has failed, yet they are intellectually stunted enough to not know what else can be done.
I don't think so. They can't admit they were wrong and ask for stimulus. Look at the UK they're still cutting even when they double dipped. They have egos too big to turn back now.

Jackson50

Just to play along...where and with whom would it improve his numbers? Everyone knows he can't win with just tea baggers and the southern bloc. Everything he is doing, intentionally or otherwise, undermines the basic smell test -- "is this guy ready?"
Despite whatever electoral gains his comments may produce, and I think they're exaggerated, he's damaged his credibility. He was supposed to prove his competency to world leaders and the domestic foreign policy establishment. Yet he looked diffident and obtuse. The loss in credibility outweighs the negligible electoral benefits.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I don't think so. They can't admit they were wrong and ask for stimulus. Look at the UK they're still cutting even when they double dipped. They have egos too big to turn back now.

That's what I was thinking of specifically. They have backed themselves into a corner - austerity as the only option - and they feel they can't reverse course publicly. Although they have been doing many more mini-stimulus things - rail, lending schemes, etc. which almost concede that austerity has failed without giving up the official approach.

This is really revelatory when it comes to Bachmann. To her party affiliation has nothing to do with actual policies or ideals and everything to do with your team colors.
I feel conservatives have a habit of treating elections like the Super Bowl moreso than liberals do.

Neat, I was one of the people polled for this. Roughly 0.08% of the Ohio results are mine! I immediately answered my phone when I saw that the caller was Quinnipiac because I don't mind being polled when it's a legitimate organization.

I don't know if this is standard pollster procedure or if I tripped some demographic switches, but I was asked afterward if I would be willing to be contacted by CBS News or the New York Times for an interview. I don't know whether or not to hope that anything comes of it.
remember to give shoutouts to the gaf homies

Clevinger

I know these people have a loose grip on reality, but Jesus Christ. They're acting as if 'Bams is holding Clinton hostage, Taken-style.

Nah, I think they know what they're saying is complete bullshit. They just know that it doesn't matter and they'll make millions and millions no matter what they say.

It is sad that GOP congressmen can go Birther and its fine now, because well...its GOP and it is fine now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/steve-king-birther_n_1729613.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

We went down into the Library of Congress and we found a microfiche there of two newspapers in Hawaii each of which had published the birth of Barack Obama. It would have been awfully hard to fraudulently file the birth notice of Barack Obama being born in Hawaii and get that into our public libraries and that microfiche they keep of all the newspapers published. That doesn’t mean there aren’t some other explanations on how they might’ve announced that by telegram from Kenya. The list goes on.

It is sad that GOP congressmen can go Birther and its fine now, because well...its GOP and it is fine now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/steve-king-birther_n_1729613.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Well sure . . . . a telegram from Kenya. And Obama is holding Hilary Clinton hostage. And the Muslim Brotherhood has infiltrated our government.

The crazy never ends.

I just keep hoping that humanity can do better. But then I remember how Hilary Clinton killed Vince Foster and the Clintons were smuggling in cocaine via CIA airplanes.

Do any here at poligaf watch washington journal?

It's fun to watch this guy squirm. he labels himself as a "reporter" but admits (after being questioned on his bias) that "opinion journalism is my trade"

the Weekly Standards Michael Warren

When questioned on why there are so many of the foreign policy advisers in romney's camp that were there from the bush era: "there arent that many foreign policy experts"

When questioned on why there are so many of the foreign policy advisers in romney's camp that were there from the bush era: "there arent that many foreign policy experts"

Based on what I've seen coming out of his campaign I'd have a better conception of foreign policy than at least one member of Romney's team and I'm not even out of undergrad

Loudninja

Obama’s Birth Control Mandate Takes Effect
The Obama administration’s birth control mandate took effect Wednesday, granting an estimated 47 million women access to free contraception and a raft of preventive health services.

As of Aug. 1, new or renewing health insurance plans are required to provide birth control to women at no out-of-pocket cost. Houses of worship are exempt and religious nonprofits get a one-year reprieve, as well as the option to pass the cost to the insurance company.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/birth-control-mandate-takes-effect.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

The Evils of Obamacare continues.

Jooney

That's what I was thinking of specifically. They have backed themselves into a corner - austerity as the only option - and they feel they can't reverse course publicly. Although they have been doing many more mini-stimulus things - rail, lending schemes, etc. which almost concede that austerity has failed without giving up the official approach.

Austerity is a play at obstructing the opposition. Watch how quickly the Tea Party caucus will fall in line if their is a Romney presidency.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This is really revelatory when it comes to Bachmann. To her party affiliation has nothing to do with actual policies or ideals and everything to do with your team colors.

That's probably the second dumbest reason for siding with a political party I've ever seen.

First is still Joe the Plumber deciding to be a Republican because the Bible doesn't have any revisions and science books do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom