• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Unfortunately her Twitter feed has seemingly been scrubbed of all her personal tweets. Only retweets remain. I wanted to find the exact quote about her black nieces.

Those states dont have cities big enough to really show what happens when congestion kills your city.

Atlanta is one of two southern cities that can actually claim being home to large corporations (Miami being the other one). They actually have something to lose.

Actually, Miami is a fantastic example of what can go wrong.... Its a traffic nightmare, and they have the worst subway system in the country.

It's one of the reasons I'm leaving Miami. I'm planning on writing to the mayor, too; a lot of Miamians are ok with the situation because they've never been anywhere with decent transportation.

RDreamer

The fuck!?

"I know in your mind you can think of times when America was attacked. One is December 7th, that's Pearl Harbor day. The other is September 11th, and that's the day of the terrorist attack," Pennsylvania Rep. Mike Kelly (R) said at a press conference on Capitol Hill. "I want you to remember August the 1st, 2012, the attack on our religious freedom. That is a day that will live in infamy, along with those other dates."

I have no words anymore. None. The republican party has straight up shit its pants, proceeded to put their dirty underwear atop their head, and is currently prancing around yelling gibberish at the top of their lungs.

Depends on the purpose of the taxes. Indiana did vote in a 1% property tax limit, but my city (which is pretty darn conservative) voted to authorize a raise in property taxes to support the school system.

I have seen limits on the future get struck down (in more affluent districts where they know the harm many of these proposals do). But the only increase I ever see are millages.

I hate statewide ballots. Because people also vote against them because they don´t see the benefits, they think it will get misspent in their state capital or washington.

I like direct democracy in local matters but the further it gets away the more a representative system works better.

The fuck!?

I have no words anymore. None. The republican party has straight up shit its pants, proceeded to put their dirty underwear atop their head, and is currently prancing around yelling gibberish at the top of their lungs.

People in Pennsylvania recently seem to like to compare things they don't like happening to them to tragic terrorist events where thousands of people actually died: http://deadspin.com/5928585/penn-st...ur-911-i-just-saw-planes-crashing-into-towers

It's one of the reasons I'm leaving Miami. I'm planning on writing to the mayor, too; a lot of Miamians are ok with the situation because they've never been anywhere with decent transportation.

This brings me to something I was thinking about while listening to NPR today. They were talking about the Indian blackout and corruption and how the middle classes and upper classes there have no incentive to commit to these public infrastructure projects. They have private guards, use private transport, drink bottled water, generate their own electricity, etc.

It just struck me how similar that is to the US. The 1% and even a large portion of the middle class is so reluctant to contribute to the country because they don´t use much of what the country would produce with these products (you can argue they do but they don´t see it that way). Rich folk are going to fight against many transportation projects because they use their private jets, private cars etc. They fight against public schools or at the very least don´t promote them because they don´t use them. Look at movies set in the 50s and all the public pools and baseball fields. Do those even exist anymore that aren´t a part of a subdivision which will kick out any poor minority who doesn´t live there. With the growth of suburbs public pools, libraries and other public goods have decayed because people don´t see their personal benefit from them. Their now seen as charity and not something for they themselves to use. They have a pool in their backyard why do they need to fund one for one that is just gonna be used by the poor black kids. And with the collapse of political machines and their replacement with corporate machines they can actually affect policy.

That I think is the biggest problem facing progressives and liberals is the lack of public goods and public projects that everybody used. There are big projects but theres always private money which takes out the public in them. Look at sports stadiums. The public contributes so much money to them but since there is a bit a private money they get handed over to private hands to reap all the rewords. Things like that highway in ATL and much of what the stimulus was spent on was since by many as just going to the poor folks that didn´t contribute to anything (FOX loves playing up this angle). They got nothing while their houses got foreclosed. There needs to be a better spread of money spent if only to get the government better PR (building things that maybe are not for a better economy but to spread the message that your money helps you too). That´s Warren´s message but its so tough to get through to people.

Robert Reich in his new book Beyond Outrage goes into this much better (At least I think it was in that book, its like 2 bucks on amazon but a pretty good read).

I don´t like much of EV´s actual policy solutions but one thing I think he understands really damn well is how politics in practice works. People need to demand things and organize for any of this to actually change. Its sad that when I talk to my dad he agrees with so much of this buy just doesn´t see it changing and just gives me the standard "its the way things are" whenever I bring up hypocracy in the republican talking points, he can´t even fake outrage anymore.... Maybe I´m still young (mid 20s) and naive.

Deeper insecurities were at play as well. A poll conducted by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution last year found that 42 percent of respondents believed new mass transit brings crime.]

Completely true, you have no idea how many stolen plasmas Id see on the subway every day.

A lot of cities will face a japan-style demographic problem soon as the youth flee to jobs in cities they WANT to live in, not a traffic-soaked hellhole.

Not everyone can leave....but those who can.....can you say brain-drain?

Its not like theres no precedent, right detroit?

This brings me to something I was thinking about while listening to NPR today. They were talking about the Indian blackout and corruption and how the middle classes and upper classes there have no incentive to commit to these public infrastructure projects. They have private guards, use private transport, drink bottled water, generate their own electricity, etc.

It just struck me how similar that is to the US. The 1% and even a large portion of the middle class is so reluctant to contribute to the country because they don´t use much of what the country would produce with these products (you can argue they do but they don´t see it that way). Rich folk are going to fight against many transportation projects because they use their private jets, private cars etc. They fight against public schools or at the very least don´t promote them because they don´t use them. Look at movies set in the 50s and all the public pools and baseball fields. Do those even exist anymore that aren´t a part of a subdivision which will kick out any poor minority who doesn´t live there. With the growth of suburbs public pools, libraries and other public goods have decayed because people don´t see their personal benefit from them. Their now seen as charity and not something for they themselves to use. They have a pool in their backyard why do they need to fund one for one that is just gonna be used by the poor black kids. And with the collapse of political machines and their replacement with corporate machines they can actually affect policy.

That I think is the biggest problem facing progressives and liberals is the lack of public goods and public projects that everybody used. There are big projects but theres always private money which takes out the public in them. Look at sports stadiums. The public contributes so much money to them but since there is a bit a private money they get handed over to private hands to reap all the rewords. Things like that highway in ATL and much of what the stimulus was spent on was since by many as just going to the poor folks that didn´t contribute to anything (FOX loves playing up this angle). They got nothing while their houses got foreclosed. There needs to be a better spread of money spent if only to get the government better PR (building things that maybe are not for a better economy but to spread the message that your money helps you too). That´s Warren´s message but its so tough to get through to people.

Robert Reich in his new book Beyond Outrage goes into this much better (At least I think it was in that book, its like 2 bucks on amazon but a pretty good read).

I don´t like much of EV´s actual policy solutions but one thing I think he understands really damn well is how politics in practice works. People need to demand things and organize for any of this to actually change. Its sad that when I talk to my dad he agrees with so much of this buy just doesn´t see it changing and just gives me the standard "its the way things are" whenever I bring up hypocracy in the republican talking points, he can´t even fake outrage anymore.... Maybe I´m still young (mid 20s) and naive.

Very good points.

Its also amazingly inefficient.

Everyone having a pool is an enormous money sink.

Why does everyone need a basketball hoop in their driveway that gets used twice a year when a public one on every block would be cheaper and more useful?

Speaking of poor black kids and pools....

Thats a model i can believe in.

http://app.dpr.dc.gov/dprmap/details.asp?cid=3

Check out the amazing (completely free) aquatic centers found in multiple parts of DC

Takoma3.jpg

Not shown: The kids splash pool, gym and dance room

When I lived there, I was pretty much the only white guy using it. Every new apartment complex advertising their amazing (tiny) private pool, and of course they charge $2,000+ rents a month to use it. The white incomers love it.

Theyre really missing the fuck out.

Miami is a perfect example of the insularity.

All the rich people live and work in specific areas, so they don't want to fund anything. Ever.

Everyone puts up with the bullshit because they don't know of anything better. Traffic is just what it is, right?

Heidi Wys, Adviser To Powerful Puerto Rico Lawmaker, Faces Calls To Resign After Anti-Obama Tweet

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/heidi-wys-obama-tweet-puerto-rico_n_1729377.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

It's weird how Obama has this affect on people.
Wys, who is white, also said in another tweet that she is not racist and that her favorite nieces are black, but added that she does not support Obama.

"I fight Obama with all the strength in my heart and passion as a descendant of germans!!" she wrote on July 30.

oh boy

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I visited a friend down there last summer and it feels so...isolated?...compared to NYC. Here if I want to go somewhere its easy, because god help you if you try and drive in Manhattan. When I was there, you needed a car. It just felt weird to drive in a city, and by weird I mean annoying.

This is the crux of the entire issue with America. Why is America the world superpower but arguably has a lower quality of life for the average individual than Germany, France, or Japan? This is it. It isn't the 1950s anymore. Most Americans (white at least) aren't poor, they've "made it". They no longer need public pools. They don't need to use the library. Public transportation? What the fuck is that? And while there are things they use such as public schools, roads, police, those tax returns, etc. It isn't as obvious. But what demographics haven't "made it" for the most part? Pretty much all the others. Specifically blacks and hispanics.

Most white people can't really relate to these people. They have a different culture, come from different backgrounds, and most of all look different. Its hard to feel symphathetic to someone that you consider alien. Whats worse is that gang culture has infiltrated these communities thanks to the lack of financial, economic, and prohibition support. "Why do I want to have MY money go toward these people? They're ghetto, their kids are out of control as they kill people, you can't help people who don't want to help themselves." Hell even though welfare is seen as the epitomy of ghetto lazy 18 year old black mothers with 9 kids who are on it as long as possible, according to the census statistics the average person is white, in their thirties, and is on it for 1 to 2 years (this has been the case for twenty years now). People don't see these things as helping them they see it as helping others that they don't relate to and see as leaches. And while I realize that Kosmo isn't exaggerating THAT much when claims that 50% of welfare reciepents who show up to his drive thru seem to be abusers, this isn't the type of thing you solve by cutting taxes for rich people. This is actually solved the same way that you save the middle class. Investing in social justice, jobs, and the economy of middle and low income Americans. These people have been seemingly abadoned by American society. And as such they don't trust the system. The only way to fix this is to change their environment and this goes hand it hand as it will also strengthen the disadvantaged middle class.

Unfortunately it seems like we have a 1930s situation of "fuck you got mine". America was very similar today as it was in one hundred years ago. Huge wealth disparities, falling average classes, high crime with communities (poor country whites and immigrant city) that were basket cases, with everybody having a distate for each other. It took the financial apocalypse for people to get over their differences. Perhaps the middle class needs to be squeezed out more until they finally realize that "these projects don't just benefit THOSE people, but they also benefit ME!"

I think the white middle class also doesn't realize how screwed they really are.

For years they were sold the idea that everyone should earn a degree, everyone should own a car, everyone should own a house in the suburbs with a white picket fence and work a 9-5 office job every day, and that this was the American lifestyle and something we should aspire to.

Except we're now at a point where all people are doing is racking up thousands of dollars of debt by living outside of their means, buying lavish houses they can't afford, gas-guzzling cars, getting fucked over by student loans, and paying off credit cards with more credit cards. On top of that blowing money on TVs, video games, booze and cigarettes etc.

It infuriates me whenever I see a report go something like this: "Lower gas prices have spiked the sale of low-mileage SUVs." It's like, newsflash fuckwits, those low gas prices are going to spring back in six months. In 2008 gas was almost $2/gal and it was awesome, now we're high-fiving each other when it gets close to 3. There's a big section of the middle class that's not willing to give up on a lifestyle that only the privileged can truly afford.

I've sat down with my mom, a baby boomer, and told her I'd rather rent out an apartment than buy a house. My own personal experience is that we're half a million dollars in the hole on our house and have been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for about five years now. But to her it's insanity to want anything else than home ownership, because it's a much better investment. I don't know, something about the best-case scenario being "live in this house for ten years, pay it off and then own it, only to move somewhere else after that ten years" isn't very appealing to me. I would much rather rent out a nice apartment in Minneapolis close enough to a well-paying job that I wouldn't have to walk or could take the bus.

Except we're now at a point where all people are doing is racking up thousands of dollars of debt by living outside of their means, buying lavish houses they can't afford, gas-guzzling cars, getting fucked over by student loans, and paying off credit cards with more credit cards. On top of that blowing money on TVs, video games, booze and cigarettes etc.

Hey, I blow money on booze and cigarettes etc.

People have been suckered into thinking a home is an investment.

It's not. It's a liability. If you are pay money every month out of pocket, it's a liability. It'll only generate a return if you a) rent the house or b) sell the house at a gain.

With b), you now have no home. I don't think the idea of long-term ownership is to sell the house, but what do I know?

We live in a very weird generation. We work more hours than ever before (pre FDRization) and get paid less than much of the past, but somehow claim that we are over-entitled and lazy when people ask for more. We complain about money but at the same time take out tons of debt and claim that "the job creators" need it more than we do.

I think George Carlin said it best when he stated that most Americans are distracted by gizmos and gadgets to give a fuck about their necessities. Its like those calculations I made, you can give the bottom third of all Americans an extra $8,000 if you took half of the "one percents" money. And imagine what you could do with that if you invested it into infrastructure, research programs, health care, welfare, job programs, etc. And thats just INCOME, I don't even think things like capital gains are included in that. I wouldn't be surprised if it doubled after that. We went from most 22 year olds being able to live in their own apartment while having a job that pays a bit more than minimum wage (1970s) to living in your parents house after graduating college. I think that says it all.

Also yeah fuck buying a house. All it takes to destory your invesment is the economy hitting bumps or a white flight.

It's not. It's a liability. If you are pay money every month out of pocket, it's a liability. It'll only generate a return if you a) rent the house or b) sell the house at a gain.

With b), you now have no home. I don't think the idea of long-term ownership is to sell the house, but what do I know?

If you own it long enough you get to replace the roof!

GhaleonEB

To the extent that it's an investment, the payoff comes when the loan is A) paid off and B) you continue to live in it. Your cost of living drops through the floor without a mortgage payment. At least, that's my perspective, and why we're paying the loan down quickly.

To the extent that it's an investment, the payoff comes when the loan is A) paid off and B) you continue to live in it. Your cost of living drops through the floor without a mortgage payment. At least, that's my perspective, and why we're paying the loan down quickly.

The idea is basically that. You buy a house you can afford, pay it down, then live the final 20-40 years of your life with only maintenance + tax costs. And when you're dead, you leave it to your kids who will have a sudden boost in worth.

The problem became when

A. people were buying when it economically was silly to do so (helped along by the government)

B. people stopped living in a single home for very long and thought they could always just sell it whenever (and did).

I always tell people, buying a home is an investment if and only if you plan on living there a very long time. If not, be wary.

So often you see people compare mortgage payments straight up to rent cost, but ignore the other costs of owning (taxes, maintenance, opportunity costs, etc).

Historically, housing has only kept up with inflation. It's merely a store of current wealth. And you can't have big eyes. Paying a $1 mil loan over 30 years when you make $80k a year isn't necessarily a good thing, but it became so common.

GhaleonEB

I always tell people, buying a home is an investment if and only if you plan on living there a very long time. If not, be wary.

Yup, sound advice. I take a very long term perspective on things, so that was my view when we took out the mortgage. It is one of the reasons I don't sweat the housing prices plunging and bottoming out; they only matter if you're selling.

It is unfortunate that so many play with mortgages as a short term game. They get screwed as often as not, and it hurts the entire industry.

GhaleonEB

Speaking of home ownership, 538 has Obama at 70.8% favorite to win the election, probably on the back of the Quinnipac polls. Of note:

It looks like there was a notable pull away near the end of June, which Mitt hasn't been able to reverse. It could be we're about to see another phase of it; it may be a blip but this has been a killer couple weeks for Romney.

It looks like there was a notable pull away near the end of June, which Mitt hasn't been able to reverse. It could be we're about to see another phase of it; it may be a blip but this has been a killer couple weeks for Romney.
If Friday's jobs report is decent, it'll be a tough month for Mittens until whatever bounce he gets from the RNC, which will be canceled out by the DNC a week later anyway.

If Friday's jobs report is decent, it'll be a tough month for Mittens until whatever bounce he gets from the RNC, which will be canceled out by the DNC a week later anyway.

100k+ would be welcome but I doubt it. Good economic indicators seem to ensure shitty job numbers, perhaps we need some bad economic indicators...

Romney hasn't had a good month, but he remains in striking distance and the VP choice is coming up

100k+ would be welcome but I doubt it. Good economic indicators seem to ensure shitty job numbers, perhaps we need some bad economic indicators...

Romney hasn't had a good month, but he remains in striking distance and the VP choice is coming up

Yeah, but I don't think Portman or Pawlenty will do much for him. Unless he does a surprise pick (highly unlikely) I would expect the VP bounce to rebound very quickly.

Averon

Speaking of home ownership, 538 has Obama at 70.8% favorite to win the election, probably on the back of the Quinnipac polls. Of note:

If you were to read conservative blogs, posts, and other media, you'd think it was Romney who is the 70.8% favorite. Everywhere I read, conservatives are so damn cock sure Obama's going to lose. I'm curious (and a bit scared) of what their reaction will be the moment words comes that Obama hit 270 EVs on election night.

Glenn Hubbard, aka Romney's economic advisor go to guy aka Bush's economic advisor go to guy, released an op ed in the WSJ.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443687504577562842656362660.html

Some highlights:

As a consequence, uncertainty over policy—particularly over tax and regulatory policy—slowed the recovery and limited job creation. One recent study by Scott Baker and Nicholas Bloom of Stanford University and Steven Davis of the University of Chicago found that this uncertainty reduced GDP by 1.4% in 2011 alone, and that returning to pre-crisis levels of uncertainty would add about 2.3 million jobs in just 18 months.

A. partly false. That study did not put a lot of regulatory schemes. Taxes, fiscal policy, spending, and sovereign debt &currency were bigger drivers. In fact, regulation represented only 10% of the increase according to the study.

B. Yes, tax uncertainty is a problem. But note uncertainty doesn't care which way you land. Just as well, certainty about higher tax rates would do just as much as lower ones. And who should be to blame for the debate about extending the SS tax cuts? hmm..

Moreover, the Obama administration's large and sustained increases in debt raise the specter of another financial crisis and large future tax increases, further chilling business investment and job creation. A recent study by Ernst & Young finds that the administration's proposal to increase marginal tax rates on the wage, dividend and capital-gain income of upper-income Americans would reduce GDP by 1.3% (or $200 billion per year), kill 710,000 jobs, depress investment by 2.4%, and reduce wages and living standards by 1.8%. And according to the Congressional Budget Office, the large deficits codified in the president's budget would reduce GDP during 2018-2022 by between 0.5% and 2.2% compared to what would occur under current law.

Yeah, and somehow lowering taxes didn't do the opposite in 2000 and this is left unexplained. My guess is the study used old assumptions now proven wrong. Why would they do that?

"Prepared on behalf of the Independent Community Bankers of America, the National Federation of Independent Business, the S Corporation Association, and the United States Chamber of Commerce"

Oh. I see...

I'm sure it was unbiased. Let's see.

Robert Carroll? Oh, former head tax economist for the treasury under W Bush....

Reform the nation's tax code to increase growth and job creation. The Romney plan would reduce individual marginal income tax rates across the board by 20%, while keeping current low tax rates on dividends and capital gains. The governor would also reduce the corporate income tax rate—the highest in the world—to 25%. In addition, he would broaden the tax base to ensure that tax reform is revenue-neutral.

And here he openly admits that Romney will raise taxes on everyone but the upper class.

He will cut marginal rates by 20%, so everyone has lower marginal rates. But wait, he will keep it both revenue neutral and broaden the tax base. That means he is cutting down the EITC, child tax credits, and other credits and deductions that save the middle class (and lower classes) from immense tax burdens.

There is no way around this. Since nothing in the tax code affects high income earners other than the marginal tax rates and capital gains rate other than mortgage deductions, there is nothing left to make it revenue neutral without being a tax hike on everyone else.

I only wish the media would pick up this. Like I always have said, I don't like Obama or democrats, but at least they're not running on a platform to subsidize tax cuts for the wealthy by increases taxes for everyone else when everyone else is struggling. This is not like it was in 2000.

Romney is running on Bush's tax platform, only without the actual middle class cuts part of it. And this asshole will get 47%+ of the vote.

edit: Seriously, the part that kills me is Romney would have no chance if actual voters understood his plan is to raise their taxes so the wealthy get less taxes. He says it, but it's cannot be understood by the majority of people cuz they don't understand the concepts.

This is where the media is supposed to do their job. If they did, ever major outlet (besides Fox of course) would be running on about how Romney's plan is to raise their taxes. Over and over again. Until it sinks in or Romney changes his plan. The election wouldn't be in discussion at all. Argh. Also, fuck Romney for making me defend Obama.

edit x 2: And if Obama were to bring it up in debates, talking about it, everyone would say he sounds like an elitist egghead. Too smart and "know-it-all" to be re-elected.

Okay, I'm going to bed.

Farmboy

It went from this:

538old.jpg

to this:

538new.jpg

So yeah, has to be Quinnipac just going by Florida. Ohio's also a little more solid (up to 70% from 67%). Nothing to worry about in Oregon and Minnesota, they just went from 90% to 89%.

Averon

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._s_new_voter_id_law_would_actually_work_.html

How Not To Defend Voter ID

The government’s witnesses and attorneys don’t have armadas behind them. Not in the courtroom, anyway. Instead, they gamely argue the facts of the law then get trapped in logic holes, as presiding Judge Robert Simpson looks on, poker-faced. On Monday, the petitioners managed to drag David Burgess, deputy secretary for planning and service delivery, into a discussion of mismatched state voter databases. Attorney Marian Schneider got Burgess to count up all of the discrepancies, voter by voter, without context.

“Adding these three numbers together,” she said, “the 758,000 that you publicly disclosed don't match, plus the 130,000 that did not actually match, plus the 574,000 whose ID is expired and won't be valid for voting today—adding all three of those together equals 1,463,758?”

“That's correct,” said Burgess.

“So your analysis shows that there's 1,463,758 voters who don't have an ID that is valid for voting, is that right?”

“Today, correct,” said Burgess, agreeing to a higher possible number of disqualified voters than the state has ever contemplated.

Reading these PA officials attempts to defend that odious voter ID law would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious.

joedan

Quick question...Although he won't and shouldn't, is it legal or permissible for the president to ask the IRS for details on a person's tax returns?

Tim-E

I dont want to get confident, but I feel like Ohio is in the bag. The other swing states are just icing if he wins them.

Is this what people in Tennessee really care about? I guess this is reason #5000 why I don't want to live in that state. There's a part of me that would really want to run for Congress just to run as a counter to these ridiculous people. I guess when you don't have a real platform to run on you just make up shit to get the electorate excited.

An argument over who is more opposed to the Islamic faith and the construction of a mosque near Nashville has become an unlikely issue in a nasty Tennessee Republican congressional primary to be decided on Thursday.

Freshman Republican Representative Diane Black is challenged by Lou Ann Zelenik, who lost to Black in a primary to represent the rural district two years ago by less than 300 votes.

http://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-candidates-engage-anti-islam-contest-014242109.html

Farmboy

I dont want to get confident, but I feel like Ohio is in the bag. The other swing states are just icing if he wins them.

Can't see many winning scenario's for Romney if he doesn't take Ohio. There's a reason the win% for Ohio closely resembles the win% overall on 538 (although usually the overall % is a few points better for Obama because he can win without it).

I'm with you- now that Obama is shifting into economic populism mode, I think his message is going to resonate even more with Ohio voters. Just need to shore up the GOTV effort on the ground level and he'll be in good shape. Ultimately, I would love a decisive electoral win just to dishearten the right-wing even more.

Tim-E

Can't see many winning scenario's for Romney if he doesn't take Ohio. There's a reason the win% for Ohio closely resembles the win% overall on 538 (although usually the overall % is a few points better for Obama because he can win without it).

Yep. Obama has a few realistic paths to 270 without Ohio. Romney has none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom