• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow--just saw that the Michigan Supreme Court ended up giving voters the right to repeal the emergency manager law put in place by Governor Snyder. Under the plan, any town/school/etc determined to be in financial/dire straits by the state automatically was taken over by an "emergency manager."

Here's hoping voters repeal the law.

Its just like what Romney did at Bain

Yeah, it's the same shit that the righties pulled after Reagan's terms, that Reagan's policies of low taxes and low spending gave us the greatest economic boom ever. Of course, the funny thing is that Carter had higher job growth.
Interest rates came down, cheap oil flooded the market, and there was massive stimulus from Reagan's deficit spending where he ran up a larger debt than EVERY PRESIDENT BEFORE HIM COMBINED. People just don't look at the big picture enough.

And the same can be said about Clinton . . . he did luck out being president during the internet boom. However, you can't say that Clinton's policies hurt things and caused a recession. They did not.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

There's not much there to discuss unless you want to selectively quote Romney. I don't see any major flip-flops or anything. Just standard politics of asking voters to give your party the benefit of the doubt while refusing to do the same with the other party.

manmademan said:
Absolutely true. There were Amish in the community of the college I went to. They shopped for materials at the local KMart, banked at the local banks, took their buggies through the McDonalds drive throughs and hung outside of the convenience stores. I even caught one buggy blasting music out of a radio as it went past my house. Modern Amish are frauds
There's a town I'm familiar with that has a decent Amish population. A lot of them do contract work for home renovations and whatnot. They'll use all kinds of electrical tools at work.

Amir0x

Banned
I must admit I'm not well read on Amish communities. I had the impression they cut themselves off.

Rumspringa!

A minority of Amish youth do diverge from established customs.[4]:13 Some may be found:[4]:10–11

Wearing non-traditional clothing and hair styles (referred to as "dressing English")
Driving vehicles other than horse-drawn vehicles (for communities that eschew motor vehicles)
Not attending home prayer
Drinking and/or using recreational drugs
Engaging in pre-marital sex

Not all youth diverge from custom during this period; approximately half in the larger communities and the majority in smaller Amish communities remain within the norms of Amish dress or behavior during adolescence.[4]:13

Also, there's a relatively new and ever growing portion of the Amish community who has been forced into community work farms/factories, which readily use electricity and other such features. The problem is that Amish generally have large families, and not every person can have their own farm land. There simply isn't enough land. So some are forced to try to make a living in other ways, and that tends to lead toward modernism.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

I saw that. The difference was that they wanted to investigate it after it was revealed that Rove had used an unofficial e-mail account for dirty business. At least I am pretty sure that is how it happened, but I don't remember exactly. Issa's comment on the matter back then was pretty hilarious.

Clevinger

you know, there's a simple line of attack about the tax returns that I haven't seen much of. It would work extremely well, especially if the media then brought it up to Romney's face. Forget all this Reid bullshit.

"Romney has been criticizing his political opponents since 1994 for not releasing their tax returns. Where are his?"

Not only did he attack Kennedy in 1994 on this, he attacked his 2002 governor opponent for it.

RDreamer

Well I just turned it on and unless she is going to drop the bomb in the last ten minutes it looks like it is just what Clevinger pointed out earlier.

I think it was an amalgamation of videos from the old Romney days. It was partially that, and some other videos. I think she was just calling interest to the quirkiness of Romney's reluctance to put out his taxes. 8 years after his senate race he was still saying the conditions for him releasing 3 years of his taxes would be Ted Kennedy releasing his, even though he had nothing to do with that race at all.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think it was an amalgamation of videos from the old Romney days. It was partially that, and some other videos. I think she was just calling interest to the quirkiness of Romney's reluctance to put out his taxes. 8 years after his senate race he was still saying the conditions for him releasing 3 years of his taxes would be Ted Kennedy releasing his, even though he had nothing to do with that race at all.

Honestly I was hoping it would be something more, kind of like the report done on abuse in religious schools on AC360 tonight.

Old news but an OK graph not posted here yet.

How_Romney_Could_Raise_Taxes-ad3b084a17177757ab2b4a62708cf7a6

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/romney-could-raise-taxes-95-144802965.html

Why would people vote for that? Gays, guns, and abortion, I guess.

That chart is great. My father is firmly in the "We don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem" rank and file republican group, and he just so happens to make $120K. Can't wait to show it to him.

That chart is great. My father is firmly in the "We don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem" rank and file republican group, and he just so happens to make $120K. Can't wait to show it to him.

RDreamer's chart is better.

Chances are that the retort your father will offer to speculawyer's chart, is that his chart is based on per capita rather than sum total. At least that's how I'm reading it anyway. Also, that the chart does not refer to spending issues, unlike RDreamer's chart which squarely discusses this issue.

RDreamer

We clearly have children running our government...

In response to just a newsletter recommendation to eat less meat, since there's a drought going on:

That’s right; upon the release of the USDA newsletter, lawmakers who have pocketed massive campaign contributions from the meat-centric agribusiness industry were out in force — as if the agency had declared war on the American Way of Life. Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, called the recommendation “heresy” and pledged to “have the double rib-eye Mondays instead.” Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, told his drought-stricken constituents that “I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate” for the USDA suggestion. And Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, proudly posted a photo to his Facebook page showing a Caligulian smorgasbord of animal flesh that his Senate colleagues were preparing to scarf down as a protest against USDA.

In response to just a newsletter recommendation to eat less meat, since there's a drought going on:

The very definition of reactionary.

I bet if the DOE asks us lowly citizens to turn off unnecessary appliances during times of a heat wave to prevent rolling blackouts so those that need them won't get cut off, these asshats would simply leave the vaccum at full force all day.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

You don't even need a chart to get across how idiotic that statement is. This could theoretically be a plausible enough argument if it wasn't for the fact that we're in a goddamned recession! In order for this statement to make any sense whatsoever, the implication would then be that millions of people out of work, and not paying taxes, have no effect on the overall revenues, which is fucking retarded.

Tell your dad this and report back to us.

Oh, and use a line by Stephen Colbert when he was dealing with a tea party twit who said the same thing:

"I completely agree with you that we have too much money and also not nearly enough."

Oblivion

By the way, I know it's not really saying anything, but Michael Eric Dyson is sooooo much better than Ed Schultz. I've actually started watching the show again cause of him.

RDreamer

By the way, I know it's not really saying anything, but Michael Eric Dyson is sooooo much better than Ed Schultz. I've actually started watching the show again cause of him.

What happened to Schultz anyway? Dyson's been on there for a while it seems.

And, yeah, I never liked Schultz. He gets too angry and fiery about everything. I really hate inflammatory political commentators. That's why I like Maddow and Melissa Harris-Perry.

Jackson50

Steve King is particularly loathsome. He has an ostensibly pathological animosity towards animals.
iPad autocorrect.
Damn. That totally mangled your post.
Krugman wrote a small opinion piece of another example of the obstructionism Obama keeps running into: The GOP Economy and Scorched-Earth Obstructionism
It's certainly a failure, and the Obama Administration should have made a recess appointment when the opportunity opened. But this policy should have been implemented from the inception of the HAMP.

Oblivion

And, yeah, I never liked Schultz. He gets too angry and fiery about everything. I really hate inflammatory political commentators. That's why I like Maddow and Melissa Harris-Perry.

His wife got diagnosed with cancer or something, so he took some time off.

And the bigger problem with Schultz for me isn't his attitude, so much as his limited knowledge on things. He's great at being a cheerleader but fairly shitty when interviewing right wingers.

Paches

And the bigger problem with Schultz for me isn't his attitude, so much as his limited knowledge on things. He's great at being a cheerleader but fairly shitty when interviewing right wingers.

My favorite are his text message polls. They are set up so obviously to be 95-5 results.

RDreamer

Yeah, that's part of my problem with him too. From what I've seen he's just very very clearly partisan. Part of that probably comes from his lack of knowledge. With Maddow and MHP I kind of feel like they research things and came around to being democrat because that's where their research led them. Schultz just seems like he's on the dem side just because.

My favorite are his text message polls. They are set up so obviously to be 95-5 results.

His polls are hilariously awful. And 95-5 is giving a bit more credit. Most of them are like 98-2 or 99-1.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

This made me laugh.

Honestly, and maybe this outs me as the marxist european liberal that I am, but good god Palin's voice makes my skin crawl. There is something so grating about her, her voice, her words, her complete fakeness, and her complete embrace of stupidity. I can't believe that one party can produce both Sarah Palin AND Dick Cheney. It just doesn't seem fair.

Why am I quoting you so much? Maybe it's because you talk abou things I like talking about. Anyway, I'm with you on this one. Dyson has a particular inflection on his T's that is pretty noticeable and sometimes annoying, but honestly ... I don't think he's that much different than Schultz.

Hey, I'm with you. Add Chris Hayes and Ezra Klein to the list. My problem with Schultz is that his particular brand of liberalness doesn't seem to be particularly intellectually engaging. I like that he fights for unions since nobody else on the planet is willing to, but really, I can't stand his show. And I love my man Al Sharpton (blueberry paaaii!!), but holy crap that show is horrendous.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The USDA should release a newsletter proclaiming that americans should eat less cyanide.

Maybe if the Republicans were getting millions in donations from the cyanide lobby, you would get your wish.

But seriously, I really can't believe that we've completely moved to "buy your own policy," otherwise known as complete corruption. That we're not up in arms that votes are sold to the highest bidder says a lot about how comfortable we are with all these toys and distractions.

RDreamer

Honestly, and maybe this outs me as the marxist european liberal that I am, but good god Palin's voice makes my skin crawl. There is something so grating about her, her voice, her words, her complete fakeness, and her complete embrace of stupidity. I can't believe that one party can produce both Sarah Palin AND Dick Cheney. It just doesn't seem fair.

She sounds like some 16 year old valley girl whose only knowledge of politics is through her daddy who watches fox news all day. That video especially sounded like that.

Hey, I'm with you. Add Chris Hayes and Ezra Klein to the list. My problem with Schultz is that his particular brand of liberalness doesn't seem to be particularly intellectually engaging. I like that he fights for unions since nobody else on the planet is willing to, but really, I can't stand his show. And I love my man Al Sharpton (blueberry paaaii!!), but holy crap that show is horrendous.

Chris Hayes is awesome whenever I see him. Love the guy. I haven't had a chance to watch his show, though. I always miss it or forget it's on.

What's kind of weird about him, though, is that the way he talks and like 90% of his mannerisms are exactly the same as a guy I went to college with... Except this guy was one of the leaders of the college republicans and kind of an ass. Can't get that out of my head whenever I see Chris. It's weird seeing intelligent thoughts come out of that style of speaking.

She sounds like some 16 year old valley girl whose only knowledge of politics is through her daddy who watches fox news all day. That video especially sounded like that.

Sarah Palin is all anyone ever needs to know about the GOP. You really don't even have to take the time to go any further. Her little routine there about Warren isn't even any good.

RDreamer

I actually like the Valley Girl inflection. Palin is not doing that, it's something different.

Ew why?

And she usually has a sort of hint of valley girl, though moreso in that clip. Otherwise it's mixed with something else that I've never really heard from anyone else.

Clint Eastwood backs Romney
He arrived in sunglasses, gray sneakers, tie and blazer along with his signature dry sense of humor, joking with reporters when asked why he decided to endorse Romney. "I haven't endorsed the governor...Oh yeah, no I just did."

Reuters reporter Sam Youngman made a reference to a Super Bowl ad about Detroit starring Eastwood, which at the time stirred speculation he might be supporting President Barack Obama.

"Is this your second act of half time in America endorsing Romney," asked Youngman, to which Eastwood replied, "Maybe."
Detroit is back, Half time in America, yada yada yada. More proof that Republicans are not pursuant to facts and reality.

Clevinger

Clint Eastwood backs Romney

Detroit is back, Half time in America, yada yada yada. More proof that Republicans are not pursuant to facts and reality.

I could understand not liking Obama, but endorsing Romney? Oh, Clint...

I can honestly say that I think Eastwood gives zero fucks about this election. At his age why the fuck should you

If that was true, why bother saying anything? And he probably cares about his kids/grandkids.

I can honestly say that I think Eastwood gives zero fucks about this election. At his age why the fuck should you
He talks about debt and crap.

GOP has the electorate by the balls about this boogeyman debt. They got nothing else to run on, except intolerance and hate. Which is exactly why debt nonsense is manufactured so stupid people can be scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom