• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Clint Eastwood backs Romney

Detroit is back, Half time in America, yada yada yada. More proof that Republicans are not pursuant to facts and reality.

Meh, I'm sorta surprised, but not really. Dude has been a life long Republican (said he never once voted for a Democrat for anything), so barring some life changing experience, he was gonna stick with Mittens.

I admit, I thought that superbowl commercial fiasco would have made him rethink his allegiance for a bit, but eh what can ya do?

KtSlime

Ew why?

And she usually has a sort of hint of valley girl, though moreso in that clip. Otherwise it's mixed with something else that I've never really heard from anyone else.

Linguistically there is nothing wrong with it, it is just as sophisticated as any other dialect, inflection, accent, or language. Although I get where you are coming from, I too have a bias, and generally prefer my own regional dialect of English.

*steps down from soapbox*

PoliGAF, I have found some remarkable information. So I will now remark.

After seeing the old "Half of this country don't even pay taxes!" thing hauled out again, I decided to see what the percentage was for businesses.

I found the answer on Page 7 of this document: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d08957.pdf

The answer is that year after year, anywhere from 60-65% of U.S.-controlled corporations report 0 federal tax liability.

Taxed enough already! At $0.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
On a similar note, I hate the B-school mantra that corporate income is taxed twice (once for the corporation, once for the individual). So disingenuous.

He talks about debt and crap.

GOP has the electorate by the balls about this boogeyman debt. They got nothing else to run on, except intolerance and hate. Which is exactly why debt nonsense is manufactured so stupid people can be scared.
That's why it'll be funny next year when this happens:

CBOextendedalternative1.jpg

Clevinger

Ugh. Is he wheeling that old chestnut out? Less than 2% of Americans are actually rich enough to have their estate taxed when they die.

Like most of the Republicans' messaging, it's pretty brilliant. Death tax. "You mean they even tax me when I die? Fucking hell!"

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Clint Eastwood backs Romney

Detroit is back, Half time in America, yada yada yada. More proof that Republicans are not pursuant to facts and reality.

He later told hundreds at the outdoor reception that Romney was "going to restore, hopefully, a decent tax system that we need badly...so that there's a fairness and people are not pitted against one another as to who's paying taxes and who isn't."

Ah, there we go. Those damn poor people not paying taxes!

So Romney doesn't mind if people of a certain socioeconomic status are discouraged from voting ("voter fraud"), but wants to raise their taxes...how is that not pure evil?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So Romney doesn't mind if people of a certain socioeconomic status are discouraged from voting ("voter fraud"), but wants to raise their taxes...how is that not pure evil?

Any party who's strategy is to dissuade Americans from voting is literally treasonous. The fact that these assholes even dare utter words like constitution fills me with rage.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. The only person from the GOP despite how crazy it is, that I'd even remotely call "evil" would be Dick Cheney.

Romney is just extremely out of touch and has no concept of reality.

He just wants to be President for the sake of being the President. Nothing more, nothing less. If he has to screw over poor people to do it, then by god he will.

zou

I've facetiously said that he received TARP money in '08. Now I am starting to believe my own jokes because Romney is making this that much more pitiful.

I'm fairly sure the list of TARP recipients is public information.
And how would Romney qualify as a financial institution? Not to mention TARP was a loan, not free money.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. The only person from the GOP despite how crazy it is, that I'd even remotely call "evil" would be Dick Cheney.

He just wants to be President for the sake of being the President. Nothing more, nothing less. If he has to screw over poor people to do it, then by god he will.

Doing evil deeds for your own self-aggrandizement may not be Hitler evil, but it's not good, is it?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Any party who's strategy is to dissuade Americans from voting is literally treasonous. The fact that these assholes even dare utter words like constitution fills me with rage.

Well, put it this way - neither party desires moving election day to the weekend instead of keeping it on a Tuesday. They prefer to limit the voter pool to a set of 'known' voters who they can reliably count on to show up on election day.

Republicans simply go about it in a more transparently evil way.

Well, put it this way - neither party desires moving election day to the weekend instead of keeping it on a Tuesday. They prefer to limit the voter pool to a set of 'known' voters who they can reliably count on to show up on election day.

Republicans simply go about it in a more transparently evil way.

Dems favor moving the election day more than Republicans, because surprise surprise it would help low income black/latino voters

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...use-dems-float-moving-election-day-to-weekend

Jackson50

That sounds positively evil. Quintessentially Burnsian, even.
Have I told you guys how much I love Stephanie Cutter <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz5YRqjjNrU&feature=player_embedded
You haven't.
Dems favor moving the election day more than Republicans, because surprise surprise it would help low income black/latino voters

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...use-dems-float-moving-election-day-to-weekend
The evidence for weekend voting stimulating turnout isn't conclusive. Although, I'd be surprised if the effect were negligible. And it probably would benefit Democrats.

That sounds positively evil. Quintessentially Burnsian, even.
You haven't.The evidence for weekend voting stimulating turnout isn't conclusive. Although, I'd be surprised if the effect were negligible. And it probably would benefit Democrats.

anecdotal, but the lines to get in the polls for the 2008 election were literally hours long. hours. and I went at something like 6:30 in the morning.

Anyone who works a 9-5 (which would be a significant chunk of the working class) has to either try to go before work, or after work when the polls close, both of which lead to ludicrous lines and are a pain for poll workers (I was one of these too) when everyone having a problem floods the polls at the same time.

I've heard the arguments against election day being a holiday (and am not convinced) but there's literally no good reason not to move it to a saturday or sunday. Yes, people work those days too but it's a dramatically lower percentage.

anecdotal, but the lines to get in the polls for the 2008 election were literally hours long. hours. and I went at something like 6:30 in the morning.

Anyone who works a 9-5 (which would be a significant chunk of the working class) has to either try to go before work, or after work when the polls close, both of which lead to ludicrous lines and are a pain for poll workers (I was one of these too) when everyone having a problem floods the polls at the same time.

I've heard the arguments against election day being a holiday (and am not convinced) but there's literally no good reason not to move it to a saturday or sunday. Yes, people work those days too but it's a dramatically lower percentage.

Maybe, keep it Tuesday but make it a Federal Holiday.

Maybe, keep it Tuesday but make it a Federal Holiday.
I just wonder if anyone really has trouble finding the time to vote on one day that comes every 4 years. It's not like they don't have time to prepare for it. I work about 24 hours every day and still have no problem finding the time. Maybe have a half day that day, but I don't see the need for it being a holiday. I think it could bring about more problems as well if people have all that free time to hang around polling places.

KtSlime

I just wonder if anyone really has trouble finding the time to vote on one day that comes every 4 years. It's not like they don't have time to prepare for it. I work about 24 hours every day and still have no problem finding the time. Maybe have a half day that day, but I don't see the need for it being a holiday. I think it could bring about more problems as well if people have all that free time to hang around polling places.

Really?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Have I told you guys how much I love Stephanie Cutter <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz5YRqjjNrU&feature=player_embedded

Oh yes. Indeeeeed. I've said it before in this very thread, but there's something about that combination of flared nostrils, slightly imperceptible lisp, and a teeny touch of a dead lower lip -- not to mention the whole miss-crazy-eyes thing. Drives me wild.

Doesn't hurt that she's a really intelligent, extremely competent political strategist, too.

Jackson50

Prohibitively long lines are problematic. It's flagrantly untenable to force voters to wait for hours simply to vote. But I don't think changing the voting day would rectify the problem; it's certainly not a panacea. The research on weekend voting, which is admittedly limited, has failed to identify a substantial effect on voter behavior. Still, the proposal is not frivolous. The premise is reasonable. And in conjunction with other policies, I'd support weekend voting. Nonetheless, it's imperative we adequately invest in voting infrastructure if we are to reduce the tediousness of voting. And no-excuse early and absentee voting should be expanded thereby effectively creating a voting week instead of a single day.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

I imagine you work for employers who approve of, or at the very least appreciate the civic virtue inherent in being a voter. Those working menial jobs - maybe even multiple to make ends meet - may not be in the position to request or gain extra time to cast a ballot. Then throw in the disposition of the downtrodden to more readily disengage from politics in general and, well, yeah.

I'm all in favor of a voting weekend, or a voting holiday (cue Republican outrage) to encourage greater turnout. we may suffer with a cycle or two of an influx of extremely low-information voters, but overall i'd rather have more stakeholders taking part in the process to counter the outsized moneyed influence of the 1%.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Why don't we make it so that we have a two week period to vote? Surely that would help, right?

The evidence for weekend voting stimulating turnout isn't conclusive. Although, I'd be surprised if the effect were negligible. And it probably would benefit Democrats.

I wonder. A lot of the people that work weekends are the people working lower income jobs (retail, food service industry, etc).

Really I think everywhere should do it like Washington state does (or at least King County? I think it's state wide). All vote by mail.

I imagine you work for employers who approve of, or at the very least appreciate the civic virtue inherent in being a voter. Those working menial jobs - maybe even multiple to make ends meet - may not be in the position to request or gain extra time to cast a ballot. Then throw in the disposition of the downtrodden to more readily disengage from politics in general and, well, yeah.

I'm all in favor of a voting weekend, or a voting holiday (cue Republican outrage) to encourage greater turnout. we may suffer with a cycle or two of an influx of extremely low-information voters, but overall i'd rather have more stakeholders taking part in the process to counter the outsized moneyed influence of the 1%.

That's a good point.

Low information voters just may vote Republican someday ; )
Think about that.

That's a good point.

Low information voters just may vote Republican someday ; )
Think about that.
Whichever party it benefits on the face, 90-100% voter turnout would be good for the country overall.

It's the same counter-argument for Democrats getting rid of the filibuster - if Republicans were in the majority, they could pass stuff too! No shit, that's the fucking point.

I think higher voter turnout would hold incumbents more accountable for their actions. Crooks like Charlie Rangel wouldn't be safe just because their district has a good PVI for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom