• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again and again I ask, what part of this campaign has convinced anyone that they're not that stupid? If you told me they were seriously considering Sarah Palin I'd laugh my ass off -- but I'd believe it.

Nonsense. Romney's camp has said they're picking a boring old white guy, most likely. Ryan doesn't fit that; he's a divisive young guy who happens to be from the most unpopular congress of all time.

Perhaps of more importance: Romney's ego. I don't see him picking anyone who would upstage him. Ryan IS the conservative zeitgeist. He has some charisma, can be witty, and already made a name for himself by being the second smartest guy in the room during that republican retreat where Obama owned face. Romney doesn't want to be upstaged imo. Same reason he won't pick Christie.

And let's not forget establishment republicans have deemed the Ryan plan as toxic.

Tim-E

Nonsense. Romney's camp has said they're picking a boring old white guy, most likely. Ryan doesn't fit that; he's a divisive young guy who happens to be from the most unpopular congress of all time.

Perhaps of more importance: Romney's ego. I don't see him picking anyone who would upstage him. Ryan IS the conservative zeitgeist. He has some charisma, can be witty, and already made a name for himself by being the second smartest guy in the room during that republican retreat where Obama owned face. Romney doesn't want to be upstaged imo. Same reason he won't pick Christie.

And let's not forget establishment republicans have deemed the Ryan plan as toxic.

Romney has spent a good chunk of this campaign trying to get republicans excited with things like welfare. Today Romney said, in regard to the "VP shortlist" that floats around, “You don’t think that we would be so silly as to not provide, from time to time, the capacity to throw people off, do you?" No one is excited about his ticket, so I wouldn't be surprised if he continued down this path of pandering to the far right by selecting Ryan in an effort to bring some sense of passion to their campaign.

Romney has spent a good chunk of this campaign trying to get republicans excited with things like welfare. Today Romney said, in regard to the "VP shortlist" that floats around, “You don’t think that we would be so silly as to not provide, from time to time, the capacity to throw people off, do you?" No one is excited about his ticket, so I wouldn't be surprised if he continued down this path of pandering to the far right by selecting Ryan in an effort to bring some sense of passion to their campaign.

This is a good point but I'd still say Romney would realize Ryan hurts more than helps (shoring up conservatives vs turning off independents), establishment types would be wary, and of course the ego issue.

In terms of excitement, Rubio would make more sense. I don't see him as being as dangerous to Romney as Ryan is, and while he's super popular he'd still be a vice president with questionable experience, few DC ties. Whereas Ryan could basically be a co-president.

Tim-E

This is a good point but I'd still say Romney would realize Ryan hurts more than helps (shoring up conservatives vs turning off independents), establishment types would be wary, and of course the ego issue.

In terms of excitement, Rubio would make more sense. I don't see him as being as dangerous to Romney as Ryan is, and while he's super popular he'd still be a vice president with questionable experience, few DC ties. Whereas Ryan could basically be a co-president.

I agree with this, but I think Rubio realizes that this campaign is a sinking ship and that he actually has a future in the party so he shouldn't jump the gun on a national level just yet. Ryan does, too, but he seems to be awfully close to Romney and acts like he wants the position.

anyone find it funny obamas only real threat to one of his campaigns was bobby rush who he lost against? his senate seat was practically given to him by alan fucking keyes!

You know it's funny when I vote for Obama in the end I think it's mostly going to be that I'm happy with his foreign policy. Well and that most of the ACA is reality beneficial to most Americans especially knowing no one can not insure my sister because my mom had breast cancer once.

I do hope he doesn't get to pick any other USSC judges as I don't want Heller or McDonald dicked with. Ironically otherwise I don't think any gun control will pass with Obama in the White House compared to if Mitt is President.

If you are using the same arguments that you use here then I am not surprised. It'd be like trying to deflate a balloon by using a silly straw to shoot cotton balls at it.
Late but, this is glorious. We should start making a list of pologaf burns. Kosmo's clown cars was also brilliant.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
You know it's funny when I vote for Obama in the end I think it's mostly going to be that I'm happy with his foreign policy. Well and that most of the ACA is reality beneficial to most Americans especially knowing no one can not insure my sister because my mom had breast cancer once.

I do hope he doesn't get to pick any other USSC judges as I don't want Heller or McDonald dicked with. Ironically otherwise I don't think any gun control will pass with Obama in the White House compared to if Mitt is President.

And someone argued the other day that PoliGAF never changed anybody's opinion and that people would vote for whomever they always vote for!

RDreamer

And someone argued the other day that PoliGAF never changed anybody's opinion and that people would vote for whomever they always vote for!

I'm not sure we could take the credit for that. Romney's been trying his damnedest. Let him get the credit.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I've always been a democrat for the most part and barring Arlen Spector always at the national level. Just a grumbling annoyed one at times who has to be dragged cursing and screaming. lol

Google Scoop Jackson (barring internment) and it explains me a bit more.

John Tester for a current example.

Good man. We need more of you to desert the Reps so then maybe we can bring some sense back into that party.

I've always been a democrat for the most part and barring Arlen Spector always at the national level. Just a grumbling annoyed one at times who has to be dragged cursing and screaming. lol

Google Scoop Jackson (barring internment) and it explains me a bit more.

John Tester for a current example.
If John Tester can hang on, he could have a big future. The "Democrat from a red state" thing works well with LBJ, Clinton & Carter being examples.

The "Republican from a blue state" can also succeed as Reagan showed. But doesn't seem to be working well for Mitt. Of course no one really knows what state Mitt is really "from". Mass? Utah? Michigan? New Hampshire? California?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Was "The War on Poverty" that successful?

US_poverty_rate_timeline.gif

Yes it was some what successful from all the information released.

Yeah. I refuse to believe anyone has already forgotten how close the primary was in 2008.

I'm not sure I'd categorize it as close...Obama made it nearly mathematically impossible for Hillary to win by the time super Tuesday was over. Everything after that was dragging out the inevitable result, and pointless hand wringing over superdelegates

I don't know if I've ever told you this Manos but your avatar makes me chuckle every damn time I see it. Love it.

Thanks for that :)
You're welcome. The real credit belongs to the guy who the original shop and the Gaffer in the avatar thread. It's just so well done and so hilarious. I wish someone could redo the audio from Mitt speeches so it comes out in the Bane voice.

If John Tester can hang on, he could have a big future. The "Democrat from a red state" thing works well with LBJ, Clinton & Carter being examples.

The "Republican from a blue state" can also succeed as Reagan showed. But doesn't seem to be working well for Mitt. Of course no one really knows what state Mitt is really "from". Mass? Utah? Michigan? New Hampshire? California?
Yeah and Montana is a change from the red Dem always having to come out of the south.

So do conservatives want Romney to take Romneycare into the shed and shoot it now? He seemed to be doing well enough just ignoring it, but clearly this has opened some festering wounds

Is he going to publicly deny the fact that MA's health insurance law might have saved this guy's wife?

Pelosi should take the initiative like Reid has and stomp on said festering wound (since Reid is already associated with outing Romney on his tax returns).

Dirty political tactic but it's not something the other side of the isle would hestiate on one bit.

... did a mod edit this post?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
According to Robert Samuelson, PoliGAF has a lot in common with social conservatives who vote against their economic interests based on social issues.

The social and economic reasons for Generation Squeezed

And then there are the costs of aging. Gains in productivity — from new technologies or better skills — that would normally flow into paychecks will be siphoned off to pay for retiree benefits, underfunded state and local government pensions and infrastructure repair. Taxes will rise; if not, public services will fall. Or both. Population change can’t be repealed. The ratio of workers to retirees, 5-to-1 in 1960 and 3-to-1 in 2010, is projected at nearly 2-to-1 by 2025...Sooner or later, the system’s oppressive costs will become so obvious that future benefits will be curbed. Chances are the young will still pay for today’s elderly without themselves receiving comparable support...

To aid the young, we could tighten Social Security and Medicare, raising eligibility ages and reducing payouts for wealthier retirees. Unlikely. Younger voters seem clueless about advancing their economic interests. In 2008, 18-to-29-year-olds supported Barack Obama by 34 percentage points. They love his pseudo-youthfulness. Or his positions on other issues (immigration, gay rights) trump economics. As president, Obama has done nothing to improve generational fairness.

Chumly

Got a fear mongering letter from my local house representative. Two pages of nonsense about Obamacare going to make you lose your doctors, government going to intrude in your medical decisions etc.

Tristam

According to Robert Samuelson, PoliGAF has a lot in common with social conservatives who vote against their economic interests based on social issues.

I read this and was dumbfounded by the author's stupidity. True, Obama has done very little to stanch the flow of wealth from young-to-old, and yet, who the fuck is the alternative? Republicans explicitly promise that young people will get less benefits than today's elderly. Is that who young people are supposed to vote for?

fallagin

And then there are the costs of aging. Gains in productivity — from new technologies or better skills — that would normally flow into paychecks will be siphoned off to pay for retiree benefits

Oh yeah, well lose ALL DAT trickle down that were experiencing right now....

Tim-E

No president is going to seriously change Medicare or Social Security anytime soon like suggested, Barack Obama or otherwise. It doesn't matter how the President feels, most congressmen would be slaughtered for trying to "cut my social security." It's going to be a long time before we see these programs get fixed. PoliGAF is not "voting against their best interest" by voting for Obama.

What a load of BS. I'm going to touch on one thing. I clicked the link to see if the part about Social Security was out of context. It wasn't. He does something very bad in this article – he makes it seem like Social Security's problems are impossible to fix or require some great sacrifice on the part of today's workers. They aren't and they won't. In fact, Social Security is very easy to fix: just lift the cap on the payroll tax. Bam. Done.

Crap article.

Guileless

No president is going to seriously change Medicare or Social Security anytime soon like suggested, Barack Obama or otherwise. It doesn't matter how the President feels, most congressmen would be slaughtered for trying to "cut my social security." It's going to be a long time before we see these programs get fixed. PoliGAF is not "voting against their best interest" by voting for Obama.

"Would be slaughtered?" Interesting use of the passive voice.

Guileless

I read this and was dumbfounded by the author's stupidity. True, Obama has done very little to stanch the flow of wealth from young-to-old, and yet, who the fuck is the alternative? Republicans explicitly promise that young people will get less benefits than today's elderly. Is that who young people are supposed to vote for?

Young people are going to get less. The question is how much less. The sooner changes are made, the less the ultimate disparity will be. The geezers now lived through decades of low inflation high growth that we will never see and are going to get our money on top of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom