• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruco

Banned
So..Paul Ryan. That should energize some of the left considering what a wack job he is.
Yeah, I was just wondering what kind of impact Ryan will have on fundraising and enthusiasm numbers for both sides.

Certainly, this would satisfy the right's need to make Romney understand that he is their bitch.

Apparently, Bill Kristol also lobbied for Palin

2nd time's the charm?

RT @daveweigel If it's Ryan it'll be the 2nd consecutive veep pick lobbied for, successfully, by Bill Kristol.

Red State chimes in

@EWErickson: Several people tell me Van Sustren posted that the Secret Service showed up at Ryan's home. Looks like the post is gone

apana

I think Paul Ryan is also the congressman for the district in which the Sikh temple shooting occured. That doesn't change anything, just thought it was an interesting random fact.

I refuse to believe Romney will choose Ryan. That'd open the entire fall to a debate about cutting Medicare to a voucher program. It'd be hilariously bad. It'd tie Romney to Congress.

Gotta be Portman.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Weird time to announce, since the Olympics is still going on. But whatever.

Seems about right considering how smooth this campaign has been run.

He wants to give the London Olympics a big "fuck you" because of the way they treated him and the fact that a horse from Great Britain won the Dressage event.

more realistically, the news will generate lukewarm coverage on everywhere but Fox News and CNN, and recede as soon as the major track and field events finish up along with Team USA's Gold Medal game.

pigeon

Banned
Didn't Ryan vote for the Iraq War and the Medicare prescription drug benefit? I.e. no fiscal conservative?

The Ryan Plan cuts the entire government except for entitlements and defense.

Seriously, it cuts the non-entitlement budget to 3.75% of GDP and increases the defense budget, which has never been less than 3% of GDP. That leaves...basically nothing.

You can't get more fiscally conservative than "CUT ALL THE THINGS."

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3708

edit: Oh, yeah, it ALSO cuts Medicare and Social Security, but it does that in a separate part of the plan.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If it's Ryan it'll also be the 2nd consecutive time the VP nominee has had a ludicrously, overwhelmingly negative impact on the top of the ticket

Measley

If Paul Ryan gets the nod, Dems are going to go full attack mode with Medicare firmly in their hands. Ryan's budget is going to be under the microscope big time.

They can also kiss Florida goodbye.

Gray Man

Banned
So maybe its important to note that the announcement is being made in Virgina?

would bob mcdonnell be a good pick? (Gov of Virgina)

I am not getting my hopes up on a Paul Ryan VP. I refuse to. Surely two days in a row of amazing news isn't possible. First Dwight Howard becoming a Laker and then Paul Ryan? No, no, I refuse...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We don't know that yet. Let's not jump to conclusions.
I have been overwhelmingly pessimistic about Obama's chances this election cycle, but I am nonetheless jumping the fuck to this conclusion. Ryan has smugly attached his name to some of the most unpopular initiatives in recent memory.

Amir0x

Banned
haha I was catching up on the news, and Mitt Romney really called for a truce from attacking his tax records and business record?

LOL

So maybe its important to note that the announcement is being made in Virgina?

would bob mcdonnell be a good pick? (Gov of Virgina)

They're doing the bus tour in what, va, oh, Florida, and somewhere else. Aka BATTLEGROUND states. I don't think it being announced in Va is anything but that.

Clevinger

Didn't they do a poll right after the last debate where people thought Palin had won? Is Ryan bad at debates?

Biden debated Palin with kid gloves so he didn't look either mean or misogynistic. (I don't think people thought Palin won so much as she looked good because she didn't verbally fall on her face every five seconds like everyone thought she would) He won't have to do that with Ryan. Ryan's not particularly well spoken, and Biden's "Let's cut through the bullshit" straight talk would probably be really effective with all the crazy shit in Ryan's budgets.

Rob hennigan is Mitt Romney's adviser CONFIRMED.

kLVxJ.gif

GhaleonEB

haha I was catching up on the news, and Mitt Romney really called for a truce from attacking his tax records and business record?

LOL

Only a few hours after arguing with the press that there were no signs in the recent polling that he's falling behind. And then begs for mercy. And then gets set to announce his veep pick. That was dictated to him. On a Saturday. During the Olympics.

Yup, no signs. All is well.

Amir0x

Banned
Only a few hours after arguing with the press that there were no signs in the recent polling that he's falling behind. And then begs for mercy. And then gets set to announce his veep pick. That was dictated to him. On a Saturday. During the Olympics.

Yup, no signs. All is well.

gotta be the most fucked up July/August for a single presidential candidate in 50 years at this point

I'm fairly convinced

Gruco

Banned
I dunno, Paul Ryan has a really aggressive "nonono, you're totally mischaracterizing my budget" reflex, and historically the media is awfully deferential to him spinning this stuff.

I mean, I want to get excited if it's him but Obama has done a fine job beating up Romney without the need to turn the campaign into a medicare voucher marathon, and I really hate to imagine Ryan throwing a pile of jargon to sound impressive and watching the press eat it up.

That said, presumably if the man accepts a spot on the ticket, the fawning press honeymoon is over.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Biden debated Palin with kid gloves so he didn't look either mean or misogynistic. (I don't think people thought Palin won so much as she looked good because she didn't verbally fall on her face every five seconds like everyone thought she would) He won't have to do that with Ryan. Ryan's not particularly well spoken, and Biden's "Let's cut through the bullshit" straight talk would probably be really effective with all the crazy shit in Ryan's budgets.

Biden beasting Ryan would be a sight to behold. Every time I've see Ryan talk he gets caught up in technicalities and semantics, Biden is a to the point guy, like you said, which could make him Ryan's natural enemy. Either way that would be a debate to see.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Wow. If Ryan really is the choice, I retract my prior insinuation that you guys were fools for thinking that he would pick Ryan. I was being the idiot.

I dunno, Paul Ryan has a really aggressive "nonono, you're totally mischaracterizing my budget" reflex, and historically the media is awfully deferential to him spinning this stuff.

I mean, I want to get excited if it's him but Obama has done a fine job beating up Romney without the need to turn the campaign into a medicare voucher marathon, and I really hate to imagine Ryan throwing a pile of jargon to sound impressive and watching the press eat it up.

That said, presumably if the man accepts a spot on the ticket, the fawning press honeymoon is over.

Media, maybe. But the Super PACS are going to go after the medicare aspects in a big way. Privatizing SS. Eliminating all scientific research, even NASA right after they landed on Mars!

How do you think Florida seniors will like some of this stuff?

This will be huge fodder for Obama's side to go after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom