• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voted in Minnesota today. First in line as I got there 4 minutes early and turnout is only expected to be 15% when it's 75% in the General. Guy who came in behind me had wrong polling location as the Census and redistricting changed a lot of them, including mine from where it was before.

Voted incumbents except for my incumbent State Senator who I don't like. Voted for her one challenger.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
you forgot traditional marriage amendments.

I was actually being mostly serious and focusing on policy, even if that included some form of libertopian shenanigans. I don't really believe that most conservatives care that much, some of them are just really bigoted and believe the world would be better off without those that with whom they can't/won't identify.

ToxicAdam

I love this quote. You think it's going one way ... then whoosh.

I think it's (picking Ryan) a very bold choice. And an exciting and interesting pick. It's going to elevate the campaign into a debate over big ideas. It means Romney-Ryan can run on principles and provide some real direction and vision for the Republican Party. And probably lose. Maybe big."

-- Former Bush adviser Mark McKinnon,
quoted by Politico, on Mitt Romney's choice of Rep. Paul Ryan as his running mate.

Cheebo

Banned

Well to be fair Mark McKinnon is a huge fan of Obama despite working for Bush. If I recall correctly he quit the McCain campaign when Obama won the Dem nomination because he refused to attack Obama.

codhand

His wikipedia pic makes it even better

MarkMcKinnonWEB.jpg

It's clear Romney that went away from at least a few of his advisers in picking Ryan, so to hear the democratic base be happy and pundits be confused is no surprise.

eznark

Banned
Well to be fair Mark McKinnon is a huge fan of Obama despite working for Bush. If I recall correctly he quit the McCain campaign when Obama won the Dem nomination because he refused to attack Obama.

Yeah, McKinnon is a huge No Labels guy. He's basically Dick Morris.

Looks like all the Wisconsin Dems on KOS are flipping parties for the day and voting Neumann. Should be interesting.

A guy I went to High School with is running for US Senate as a Republican. He's expected to lose. Had an art(drawing) class with him and we sat at the same table. Didn't really care for him then and surely not now. He was voted biggest whiner in our senior poll(rumor has it I came in second). His dad died when he was young and he got money from that and blew it all on a new SUV. Yeah, not the brightest dude.

thefro

Seriously, if Ryan/Romney can beat Obama (with Bill Clinton advising him) on Medicare, the Democratic Party ought to just pack it up.

That's a ridiclously lopsided fight on paper.

eznark

Banned
Looks like all the Wisconsin Dems on KOS are flipping parties for the day and voting Neumann. Should be interesting.

This is one time where I think that could work. Undecideds are like 25% which probably means a low turnout. I think most people in the state GOP feel like there isn't a huge difference between the four and that any of them will win. It's coming down basically to "Thompson will win easy" vs. "Thompson is too old to hold the seat longer than one term."

Walker and Ryan giving Tommy their non-endorsement endorsement over the weekend will probably be enough to give him a solid victory. Any of the four will beat Baldwin though. They are all essentially tied in the polls and not a dollar has been spent defining that nut. Once the Evil Koch Brothers roll in, it's game over for her. The democrats had a nice window this summer to build up their candidate but they kept their powder dry. I think it's a poor strategy. She won't be able to outspend the republicans and her messaging will get swamped.

I have to admit, it's quite brave to put your entire political career on the line by tying yourself to a failing campaign where if you lose your political ambitions will probably be ruined for a very long time. Of course brave and fucking stupid aren't mutually exclusive
Lose, get hired by a think tank or consulting firm, make bank, and buy a fat house in Bethesda. Not so brave as it may seem.

eznark

Banned
I have to admit, it's quite brave to put your entire political career on the line by tying yourself to a failing campaign where if you lose your political ambitions will probably be ruined for a very long time. Of course brave and fucking stupid aren't mutually exclusive

I'm possibly reading this out of context, but lol if this is about Ryan. Win or lose this is a step forward for his political ambitions. He'll still win his district by 65%, he'll still be the fiscal leader in the house and he'll be even more likely to run for President in 2016.

I think the argument can be made that the only way this "hurts his political career for a long time" is if Romney wins and he is stuck in the dummy chair for 4-8 years.

So I'm still thinking about deleting facebook, because I find that my friends are politically very different than I am. I posted up something about Paul Ryan, and got this shit about being anti-gop. I don't see what you're saying as anti-gop, or how I feel as anti-gop. I feel like it's anti-stupdity. They've been blatant about the fact that they will fleece the middle class and the poor if they can get away with it. I do not understand how people are falling for this shit.

I have one Obama/huff po rehasher on Facebook who is always get tag teamed. One guy in particular is always shaming him for his bias and partisanship: this guy is an "above the fray independent. Oddly enough though, all his arguments are Kosmo arguments. It's interesting theatre.

guess thats not surprising considering the jump from june to july bls numbers:

There was a 0.8 percent increase in retail sales in July from June, the Census Bureau says, thanks in part to gains in purchases of cars, furniture and appliances.

Overall, The Associated Press says, "all major categories showed increases, a sign that consumers may be gaining confidence." If that is indeed the case, it's good news for the economy. Consumers purchase about 70 percent of all goods and services.

Bloomberg News leads its report with this: "Retail sales in the U.S. rose more than forecast in July as consumer spending rebounded at department stores, auto dealers and electronics outlets, easing some concern the biggest part of the economy was foundering."

July's gain was the first monthly increase in four months.

Also this morning, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said that wholesale prices rose 0.3 percent in July from June. They were pushed up by a 0.5 percent increase in food costs. Prices of corn, soybeans and some other crops have been on the rise because this summer's drought across much of the nation has hurt production.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Wish they could just put this on the TV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWFAHbEUKtA&feature=player_embedded

The push back from the Obama campaign on this attack ads does show they are worried about it being effective in some form though.

yeah, when david axelrod was fuming on the sunday talkshows, it shows they're defensive.

DynamicG

I'm possibly reading this out of context, but lol if this is about Ryan. Win or lose this is a step forward for his political ambitions. He'll still win his district by 65%, he'll still be the fiscal leader in the house and he'll be even more likely to run for President in 2016.

I think the argument can be made that the only way this "hurts his political career for a long time" is if Romney wins and he is stuck in the dummy chair for 4-8 years.

I agree with everything here. I don't see how this will hurt Ryan. The people who already like are going to keep liking him and vice versa. If anything Ryan is going to use Romney's body as a stepping stone.

Just a random thought that popped into my head. Can't the President just declare a day as a Federal Holiday by Executive Order? I think I recall Bush doing something to that effect. It was some rule like "the President can do it by Executive Order, but it's only for that year. It needs to go through Congress to be a permanent fixture."

So, given that, what would be the effect if Obama just declared Election Day a federal holiday? Fun to think about.

ToxicAdam

I agree with everything here. I don't see how this will hurt Ryan. The people who already like are going to keep liking him and vice versa. If anything Ryan is going to use Romney's body as a stepping stone.

Pretty much. It helps him bypass the "you have to lose before you win" rule for the Republican primaries. If he chooses to run at some point.

Not saying it makes him a slam dunk to win in 2016, but it puts him in the top 3.

thefro

Just a random thought that popped into my head. Can't the President just declare a day as a Federal Holiday by Executive Order? I think I recall Bush doing something to that effect. It was some rule like "the President can do it by Executive Order, but it's only for that year. It needs to go through Congress to be a permanent fixture."

So, given that, what would be the effect if Obama just declared Election Day a federal holiday? Fun to think about.

It's just for Federal employees, I think.

RDreamer

A guy I went to High School with is running for US Senate as a Republican. He's expected to lose. Had an art(drawing) class with him and we sat at the same table. Didn't really care for him then and surely not now. He was voted biggest whiner in our senior poll(rumor has it I came in second). His dad died when he was young and he got money from that and blew it all on a new SUV. Yeah, not the brightest dude.

Neumann eh? I thought it would probably come down to between Thompson and Hovde. I was going to flip parties and vote Hovde since Thompson polls the best against Baldwin, and it didn't look like Neumann would get close to winning.

eznark

Banned
Neumann eh? I thought it would probably come down to between Thompson and Hovde. I was going to flip parties and vote Hovde since Thompson polls the best against Baldwin, and it didn't look like Neumann would get close to winning.

Hovde has money, lots and lots of money. It's not a good idea to try and prop him up. Neumann has name recognition so I kind of think that's idiotic as well. I guess the kos folks didn't think Fitzgerald had a chance (I personally think he will surprise at the polls) but he would be the only one of the four I'd give a shot of beating Baldwin come November.

pigeon

Banned
This page has been pure fantasy land, but this takes the cake. Republicans are completely invested in destroying Obama's presidency, and the country in the process. Their base has a visceral hatred of the man, and the overall strategy has been to discredit big government spending.

The only thing Obama might get done in his second term is some type of tax code reform. You can kiss immigration, energy, Jobs Act, etc goodbye as long as Boehner holds the house.

And as a result of this strategy they're losing. The base an think it's because Romney is too moderate, but the career politicians know the opposite is true. The corporate interests that invested in the GOP didn't do it out of zealotry, but out of a reasonable expectation of return, and I doubt they're pleased with what they're getting. If Romney loses, and especially if the democrats make heavy congressional gains, you're going to see pressure on the GOP to pull away from the cliff and back to a place where they can win the trust of independents again while still secretly pushing for corporate tax cuts. That's what could hurt Ryan politically -- being the standard bearer for a branch of crazy that can no longer get institutional support.

Also, if they do decide to go with total obstructionism yet again, I suspect the first sign will be that Boehner loses his speakership. He's too willing to compromise! Because he s a career politician, and he wants to stay one.

RDreamer

Hovde has money, lots and lots of money. It's not a good idea to try and prop him up. Neumann has name recognition so I kind of think that's idiotic as well. I guess the kos folks didn't think Fitzgerald had a chance (I personally think he will surprise at the polls) but he would be the only one of the four I'd give a shot of beating Baldwin come November.

Fitzgerald's way down in every poll I've seen. I still think it'll be either Thompson or Hovde, unless the dems flipping to vote makes an impact and Neumann gets it. I'm really uncomfortable with a race against Thompson, though Hovde seems kind of scary too because of the money.

eznark

Banned
Fitzgerald's way down in every poll I've seen. I still think it'll be either Thompson or Hovde, unless the dems flipping to vote makes an impact and Neumann gets it. I'm really uncomfortable with a race against Thompson, though Hovde seems kind of scary too because of the money.

Oh, I don't think he will win but when polls have 20+% undecideds I generally tend to think it will break for the "most pure" guy in a primary. Fitzgerald has been heralded a hero for his ability to keep the squishy elected Republicans in lock step the past couple years for Walker. I actually thought he might shock everyone and pull off the upset until Walker and Ryan made it clear they wanted Thompson.

In the end I don't think it will matter. Baldwin didn't take advantage of her uncontested time to build up the kind of lead she needed. In November Thompson will cruise, Hovde will win by 3% and Neumann will find a way to fuck it up and just manage to squeak by. Baldwin has a shot against Fitz because of the close ties to Act 10. That's the only person I'd give her the edge against.

Interestingly, while I don't think Ryan will deliver Wisconsin for Romney, I do think he will energize Wisconsin GOP voters who would otherwise have been downtrodden and stayed home due to the 10%+ deficit Romney was probably looking at tin the state and turn out, thus completely destroying Baldwin's chances.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
And tax capital gains as income if bigger than income.

No more 1$ salaries!

That is an interesting proposal.

I prefer a separate graduated capital gains tax (interest, cap gains, dividends) with the same exact tiers as income tax. That way if you already have earned income you don't immediately see diminishing returns by deciding to invest. Likewise CEO types would be incentivized to take actual salarys because of the tax advantage on the first couple hundred thousand over theirs least sizable investments (getting them on the hook for payroll taxes they would otherwise avoid).

Mike M

Nick N
Man, my list sucks after seeing some of yours. I want a do over.

But I don't want to expend any actual effort to do it.

OMG typical liberal!!!!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Wait wait EZ, let's be objective here. Maybe I need to be educated on this, but how many elections did the following lose over their entire careers?

Obama
GWB
Clinton
GHWB

That covers the last twenty years. Now let's look at the losers, and let's ask what the others did following their losses:

McCain
Kerry
Gore
Dole

They were all correctly politically neutered and have been ever since. But what about VPs on the losing ticket?

Palin
Edwards
Lieberman
Kemp
Quayle

So ... yeah. I think it's completely fair to question whether knowingly joining a losing ticket is a smart political move, which is what you were replying to.

RDreamer

Hey man, I don't care what side he's on. I'm a Huntsman fan. I would have considered voting for him with either party.

o_O why?

I mean compared to the other wackadoos in the primary he was great, but he's still a crazy person when it comes to policies, since he endorsed the Ryan budget.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Because people will find out what he's like - which is a somewhat childish extremist with a weirdly spotty voting record that doesn't match his rhetoric and a very poor grasp of mathematics and economics. Or he'll be forced to flip the bit on some of his own more outlandish ideas and become a hypocrite to his tea party base.

I am trying to think of a losing VP pick that went on to be successful as a politician rather than a private individual,a-la Palin. There surely are some, but I can't think.

Of course if he wins, he's fine.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Man it just hit me: being the losing VP is a great way to lose your career forever. It's much more beneficial to lose a Presidential primary than it is to lose as a VP nom. This cannot be disputed.

Now realize that Ryan, while powerful in the House as chairman of the house budget committee, isn't even speaker. Losing on the Romney ticket won't give him more power, it will neuter him for life.

I wonder when the top 1% will realize that a thriving middle class will make them wealthier in the long run without all the political baggage that comes with it?

This. If the pay a little more in taxes but in exchange there is robust growth, they'll end up much richer if they pay more taxes.

But the problem is the 'cut taxes = always good' ideology. Cutting taxes from the 90% and 70% level was good. But you eventually pass a point where it no longer becomes effective. Reagan figured that out and raised taxes. But they block that fact out of their Reagan mythology.

eznark

Banned
So ... yeah. I think it's completely fair to question whether knowingly joining a losing ticket is a smart political move, which is what you were replying to.

It's absolutely a fair question, no doubt. Historically it is difficult to launch a successful career following a losing ticket. The difference with your examples is that the people who lost had to either put a hold on their political careers or never had a political career to begin with. The one potential parallel is Edwards, who was absolutely a viable politician following the 2004 election. Based on the fairly limited interactions I've had with Paul Ryan, I'm guessing he won't end up embezzling campaign funds to pay off his impregnated mistress after cheating on his dying wife. Just a hunch.

This nonsense of "x has never happened so it can never happen" is lazy. Losing as a VP candidate is meaningless in a vacuum. In order to advance his career to a national stage he (and the party) needed to see just how toxic his budget and road map are. If it proves to be untenable he'll be back to his house seat and can stay there until the day he dies if he so chooses. If not, he'll be running for President in 2016.

Running on this ticket has literally no down side for him. He has to be publicly vetted at some point, this is as low risk as can be. Romney will take all the blame for the loss and Ryan goes back to policy wonk. That's the worst case scenario.

codhand

Yep, Palin was "Top Three" in 2008, and now, well, she's persona non grata at the convention.

Those wondering how this can hurt him? He's already a historically unfavorable pick, couple that with a spotlight shone on your draconian budget, every econmist who's breathing ripping it to shreds and I think you have one devastating blow to the "heaveyweight intellect".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom