• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Huh, they just print them on the spot in Wisconsin, Indiana and Massachusetts.

yeah same in PA, you get a little photo card that says you need to get a new license, you take it to the DMV, wait for 5-7 hours in line, take your picture, get your ID and leave

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
yeah same in PA, you get a little photo card that says you need to get a new license, you take it to the DMV, wait for 5-7 hours in line, take your picture, get your ID and leave

So then why would it take 2 trips to get a non-driver's licence ID?

Averon

That OBL ad is idiotic. All it does is remind people that Obama got Bin Laden. Obama has built solid foreign policy and War on Terror cred with the electorate; attacking Obama for getting OBL is one of the dumbest attacks and waste of money I've seen yet this election cycle.

gcubed

So then why would it take 2 trips to get a non-driver's licence ID?

if you dont have a valid proof of residency / life (a birth certificate with a raised seal) you need to fill out forms from the DMV so they can check your residency, etc. Once thats verified you'll get a letter to return to get your ID

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/voter/voteridlaw.shtml

*If they do not have a birth certificate with a raised seal and are a Pennsylvania native; and do not have one of the acceptable, alternative forms of photo identification to vote; and will provide a signed oath/affirmation form, when visiting the PennDOT driver license center, they must:

Tell the PennDOT customer service representative they are a Pennsylvania native who needs a photo ID for voting purposes, and do not have a certified copy of their birth certificate;
Sign an oath/affirmation that they do not have an acceptable form of ID for voting purposes and the photo ID is needed for voting purposes;
Show a Social Security card and two proofs of residence, such as a deed, lease, tax bill, or utility bill;
Fill out a DL-54A form requesting a non-driver photo ID and;
Complete the HD01564F (Request for Certification of Birth Record for Voter ID Purposes Only) form, which collects information such as birth name, mother and father's name and place of birth. This Department of Health form is available at all Driver Licensing Centers.

PennDOT will then forward the completed form to the Department of Health, which maintains birth records. After verifying the birth record is on file, the Department of Health will securely transmit this information to PennDOT. PennDOT will then notify them by letter that their birth record has been confirmed. They may then return to any driver license center, with the above noted documentation, to receive your free photo ID for voting purposes. This verification process will take about ten days and does not require the payment of a fee.

thefro

Isn't it funny how something as simple as delivering an ID card to the person's address seems to be foreign to red states?

I thought every state did that. I mean, you give them a current address when you apply or renew for the license/permit/ID, anyways. Jujt deliver the things along the normal mail routes, no need to make people make a trip to the DMV just to pick the things up when you'll be sending a mail carrier to their address anyways.

They mailed my renewal in Indiana.

What a ugly week for politics so far. When are the candidates gonna start dissing each others wives like back in the 1800 presidential runs?

shit they might as well.

eznark

Banned
Isn't it funny how something as simple as delivering an ID card to the person's address seems to be foreign to red states?

I thought every state did that. I mean, you give them a current address when you apply or renew for the license/permit/ID, anyways. Jujt deliver the things along the normal mail routes, no need to make people make a trip to the DMV just to pick the things up when you'll be sending a mail carrier to their address anyways.

Wisconsin - purple
Indiana - red
Massachusetts - blue

They mailed my renewal in Indiana.
Yeah, renewals they will mail or you can go in and get one on the spot. I think they make you go in every 10 years or something for a new picture? Not sure, I haven't been here long enough.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
if you dont have a valid proof of residency / life (a birth certificate with a raised seal) you need to fill out forms from the DMV so they can check your residency, etc. Once thats verified you'll get a letter to return to get your ID

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/voter/voteridlaw.shtml

So they will send you a letter saying to come pick up your ID...but they won't send you the ID in the mail. THEY'RE ALREADY PAYING FOR POSTAGE!

Jackson50

For a bit of positive policy news, the immigration initiative Obama announced in June commenced today.
New deportation policy hailed by young immigrants

By Anna Fifield in Lakewood, Colorado

Long lines formed at immigration centres around the US on Wednesday as thousands of undocumented young people applied for a two-year reprieve from deportation under a new Obama administration programme.

Officially known as the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals scheme, the programme will allow as many as 1.7m young illegal immigrants to apply for work permits, Social Security cards and driver’s licences.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBkQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2Fd6272400-e6f5-11e1-8a74-00144feab49a.html&ei=7_MrULjjDZPY9AT19oHADA&usg=AFQjCNH_Z1FQ7kYG6sExDpAceDQEfw5w7Q&cad=rja
To fight against a think tank who says Romney's plan will raise taxes on the middle class Romney cites someone who says Romney's plan will raise taxes on the middle class.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...y-raise-taxes-middle-class.php?ref=fpnewsfeed
Like the furor over his tax returns, Romney could dispel the conjecture if he were more transparent. Of course, he'll not release the details of his policy because it would either reveal he employed cooked models like Ryan's budgets or corroborate the TPC analysis.

The early voting/voting hours shit has me worried to in FL and OH.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/opinion/overt-discrimination-in-ohio.html?_r=2&hp

The worst part is, the Media doesn't treat this as normal news. Even for NYT it is a Editorial Opinion piece.

Even if Obama campaign succeeds in providing people with an ID for voting, not being able to vote in evenings or weekends, curtailing early voting period will still have a negative impact.

And, the only reason PA MIGHT be in play is the Voter ID law which got upheld. If nothing else, Obama campaign will have to spend more resources in PA now.

http://decoded.nationaljournal.com/2012/08/voter-id-ruling-could-put-penn.php

RDreamer

Romney's going after Big Bird!

"[T]here are programs I would eliminate. Obamacare being one of them but also various subsidy programs -- the Amtrak subsidy, the PBS subsidy, the subsidy for the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities. Some of these things, like those endowment efforts and PBS I very much appreciate and like what they do in many cases, but I just think they have to stand on their own rather than receiving money borrowed from other countries, as our government does on their behalf."

Depending on what state you are in "just get a carry permit" is probably one of the most onerous things you can endeavor to do.

Or what part of the state. Though even though Philly is pointlessly slow, they still have to give it at the end vs New Jersey (which is pretty much restricted to the rich and super connected) or CA which is a hodgepodge of easy or never ever issues one.

Yep, when I moved back to PA, my wife and I both got those. Though we only waited 30 minutes. I seem to recall we got our licences in the mail, but had the temporary photo id ones after we first went there.

You know what's funny?
You think it's poorly written, but you most likely didn't even reach Galt's speech.

"Whatever you choose to consider, be it an object, an attribute or an action, the law of identity remains the same. A leaf cannot be a stone at the same time, it cannot be all red and all green at the same time, it cannot freeze and burn at the same time. A is A. Or, if you wish it stated in simpler language: You cannot have your cake and eat it, too."

LOLz

Unreal. Yeah, my only exposure to that speech is when someone on GAF linked to it a couple of years ago. It was hilariously bad.

Also, I attempted to read the book around 8 years ago. At the time I thought I was moderate, but actually was conservative on tax issues (though not so much for welfare and the safety net). I had a roommate/best-friend who was all about "going Galt!" and I was open to reading the philosophy even though I knew I would find it too extreme. I started, made it about 20 pages and told him it was literally the worst thing I had ever read.

What a ugly week for politics so far. When are the candidates gonna start dissing each others wives like back in the 1800 presidential runs?

shit they might as well.

This is abnormally ugly?

Seems Romney's whining about negative and non-substantive ads is really working.

Eight years later and I still feel totally justified in that rapid conclusion.

Wilsongt

Why do conservatives have such a hard-on to get rid of funding for PBS, NPR, Art endowments, humanities, Department of Education, EPA, etc?

I know here in South Carolina the entire legislature rallied against Nikki Haley when she opted to slash the arts commissions from the budget.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

eznark

Banned
Bad polls for Obama. This pollster showing Romney with lead first time in 3 months.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/08/15/romney_grabs_lead_in_three_swing_states.html

Ryan is the best liked of the four candidates, and his selection has bolstered Romney’s image.
At 45% to 39%, Paul Ryan is the only member of either major party ticket who currently has higher favorables than unfavorables.

great_white_hope_rect-460x307.jpg

Why do conservatives have such a hard-on to get rid of funding for PBS, NPR, Art endowments, humanities, Department of Education, EPA, etc?

I know here in South Carolina the entire legislature rallied against Nikki Haley when she opted to slash the arts commissions from the budget.
They think liberal arts/cultural studies/museums etc are a waste of everyone's time. They think keeping tax subsidies for Shell and BP is much more important than funding cultural education and awareness.

I know here in South Carolina the entire legislature rallied against Nikki Haley when she took voted to slash the arts commissions.

Arts=Gay Penis Paintings Pooping on Jesus while having a Gay Orgy Funding
PBS=Gay British TV and CommuJew puppet shows or Newt is just a hard C.
NPR=Gay America People talking about Gay other things and science that makes Jesus mad
Dept of Ed= Education should be a local issue (that ones not as bad)
EPA= Fuck you I want to burn my trash next to a hospital for children with respiratory issues, DONT TREAD ON ME!!!

I think that about covers it.

thatbox

Banned

You mean the mouthpieces of the liberal propaganda and brainwashing machines?

shit they might as well.

The lack of slavery prohibits the ability to accuse someone of having bastard children and affairs with their slaves, so theoretically it can't ever get that bad...though there is always a chance for the Bostonian method of political complaining...rioting!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Easy targets. Can't cut entitlements, can't raise taxes, can't slash the military budget.

Wilsongt

Easy targets. Can't cut entitlements, can't raise taxes, can't slash the military budget.

They should, though. Remember the story of the $2bil computer they built that didn't work?

Yeah... As a scientist, it's really annoyed to know that it becomes harder and harder to get funding because grant places like NIH, NSF, USDA, etc are having their funding cut due to some war on science.

Averon

I still can't believe BigSciliy thought posting those blatantly edited and obscured graphs was smart. Did he really think no one would notice or call him out on it?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just read SolidWarrior's posts and imagine charts there and more of an economic focus.

Oh, been meaning to tell you, it seems you were right about Obama's stance on NASA funding. Though with one important distinction, the Chairman wanted less of a focus on space exploration and more on how to use NASA to help infrastructure and such.

Loudninja

President Obama Rips Paul Ryan’s Medicare Plan In Iowa
“I think they know their plan is not very popular,” Obama said. “You can tell that because they are being dishonest about my plan — especially when it comes to Medicare.”
Obama said he “strengthened” Medicare, noting that the savings came from subsidies to insurance companies and hospitals, not from retirees. He added that the ACA used some of the savings to fund additional benefits for seniors, including an end to the “doughnut hole” on prescription drug costs and an expansion of preventive care.

“My plan reduces the cost of Medicare by cracking down on fraud and waste and subsidies to insurance companies,” Obama said. “Their plan makes seniors pay more so they can give another tax cut to millionaires and billionaires.”
“Because the voucher would not keep up with costs, the plan offered by Gov. Romney’s running mate would force seniors to pay an extra $6,400 per year — and I assume they don’t have it,” Obama said.
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...-paul-ryans-medicare-plan-in-iowa.php?ref=fpa

Oh, been meaning to tell you, it seems you were right about Obama's stance on NASA funding. Though with one important distinction, the Chairman wanted less of a focus on space exploration and more on how to use NASA to help infrastructure and such.

Which is despite the fact that space exploration has already and always helped do that.

Romney's going after Big Bird!

"[T]here are programs I would eliminate. Obamacare being one of them but also various subsidy programs -- the Amtrak subsidy, the PBS subsidy, the subsidy for the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities. Some of these things, like those endowment efforts and PBS I very much appreciate and like what they do in many cases, but I just think they have to stand on their own rather than receiving money borrowed from other countries, as our government does on their behalf."

Mitt Romney is a grade A moron if he genuinely believes that the US borrows US dollars from other countries. Combating this kind of ridiculous nonsense is exactly why an accurate understanding of the monetary system is important.

Wait, with all the merchandising Sesame Street isn't profitable? I find that nearly impossible to believe.

Why would anybody want Sesame Street to be profitable?

markatisu

That's from Purplestrategies. They're like Rasmussen, so those numbers aren't surprising.

Exactly, and in their own polling (if anyone reads the reports) in almost all the states the poll results show the toxic effect of the Ryan budget. That is definitely not good news for Romney, and this is from the pollsters leaning his way lol

Paches

Can't we just make 1 less missile instead of cutting PBS? I mean, how much of the national budget is it really? It is just something to throw out there so it looks like he is giving specifics, in reality, it is probably a microscopic part of the budget (just a guess).

Can't we just make 1 less missile instead of cutting PBS? I mean, how much of the national budget is it really? It is just something to throw out there so it looks like he is giving specifics, in reality, it is probably a microscopic part of the budget (just a guess).

I'm fine with abandoning a missile, but I support full funding of PBS regardless of how many missiles there are (as it used to be before neo-liberals destroyed the country). The US has no budget or spending problems. Actually, that's not true. It is spending far too little money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom