• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Democrats knew he would become their presidential candidate. They knew Clinton would present herself, but they knew he would be the other one. I remember reading conservative articles back in 2002 worried about Obama, his stance on abortion, etc., and labeling him as a future important player for the Democrats, a rising star, and basically a danger.

So that makes me wonder, who's next? A candidate to replace Obama in 2016 would logically appear now, but who can it be, if it's not Clinton?

This site tries to figure it out: http://www.2016election.com/

I'm thinking it will be Clinton. They have to have a really strong candidate, I can't imagine anyone else. But she has been looking really weird recently. It's like she's trying to scare people with her hair.

First black president, followed by first female president. Makes sense to me!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
pretty much I wonder if guys like Durbin and Harry Reid ever talk about the disappointment (privately). The guy isn't a leader, he's a referee

Harry Reid has no right to talk about disappointment. He absolutely refuses to fix the broken rules of the Senate, and those are far more a contributor to the "mediocrity" of Obama's presidency than Obama is.

From judicial appointments and white house staff appointments being held up, to the watering down of every major piece of legislation, to the snail's pace at which the senate has operated, it's all under Harry Reid's watch.

Clevinger

Harry Reid has no right to talk about disappointment. He absolutely refuses to fix the broken rules of the Senate, and those are far more a contributor to the "mediocrity" of Obama's presidency than Obama is.

From judicial appointments and white house staff appointments being held up, to the watering down of every major piece of legislation, to the snail's pace at which the senate has operated, it's all under Harry Reid's watch.

Refused. He agrees to it now that it's too late, the fuckin' useless moron.

Cheebo

Banned
The Democrats knew he would become their presidential candidate. They knew Clinton would present herself, but they knew he would be the other one. I remember reading conservative articles back in 2002 worried about Obama, his stance on abortion, etc., and labeling him as a future important player for the Democrats, a rising star, and basically a danger.

So that makes me wonder, who's next? A candidate to replace Obama in 2016 would logically appear now, but who can it be, if it's not Clinton?

This site tries to figure it out: http://www.2016election.com/

I'm thinking it will be Clinton. They have to have a really strong candidate, I can't imagine anyone else. But she has been looking really weird recently. It's like she's trying to scare people with her hair.

First black president, followed by first female president. Makes sense to me!

Clinton won't run in 2016. Cuomo will win the nomination very easily. Martin O'Malley will be the other main candidate, but I suspect highly that Cuomo will be the nominee.

Considering his historic accomplishments, even in spite of the "Watered down" argument, they still were better than any other President had accomplished, which a lot of you fail to either acknowledge or realize

Read a book about LBJ or FDR.

Jimothy

Man, Up with Chris Hayes is probably the best news show on TV. Too bad there's 2 minutes of commercials for every 5 minutes of show. I'd love to seem get a primetime spot where he's not interrupted in the middle of an important thought constantly.

Seriously?

Yep, we've definitely had Presidents in the past come out in support of Gay Rights.
Also we definitely had a President who said a foundation so at the very least in the future we could fully correct the Health Care issue in the country
We most definitely had a President who allowed gays to serve in the military, yep.
Totally had a President to set a foundation to reduce our dependence on oil.

Should I keep going? You still continue to act like Obama hasn't done anything for some god awful reason I still don't understand.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Cheebo

Banned
Yep, we've definitely had Presidents in the past come out in support of Gay Rights.
Also we definitely had a President who said a foundation so at the very least in the future we could fully correct the Health Care issue in the country
We most definitely had a President who allowed gays to serve in the military, yep.
Totally had a President to set a foundation to reduce our dependence on oil.

Should I keep going? You still continue to act like Obama hasn't done anything for some god awful reason I still don't understand.

Not a single one of those things comes close to matching what LBJ accomplished in his single term.

LBJ forced through congress and signed into law out of his own sheer will the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act. Which changed the face of the country forever and lead to the African American vote being fiercely loyal to the Democratic party for generations.

He also is responsible for the Gun Control Act of 1968, which is largest gun control law in American history.

Oh and he is responsible for the creation of Medicare and Medicaid and signed both into law. Ever hear of them?

What you listed on are jokes compared to what LBJ accomplished in a single term.

Cuomo has way too much baggage in NY to even have a hope of winning the nomination in 2016. Reporters are already on his ass and it's not going to get any better in the lead up..

Not a single one of those things comes close to matching what LBJ accomplished in his single term.

LBJ forced through congress and signed into law out of his own sheer will the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act. Which changed the face of the country forever and lead to the African American vote being fiercely loyal to the Democratic party for generations.

He also is responsible for the Gun Control Act of 1968, which is largest gun control law in American history.

Oh and he is responsible for the creation of Medicare and Medicaid and signed both into law. Ever hear of them?

What you listed on are jokes compared to what LBJ accomplished in a single term.

I never once mentioned LBJ. So what the fuck is the point in mentioning him? My post was mainly referring to modern times, which would be Generally accepted as Carter onwards, after the Vietnam War.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

"The treatment" wouldn't work now, because political negotiations aren't won in closed door meetings, but in front of a camera and microphone, nowadays.

Everyone would just nod their head in agreement to LBJ while he was giving them the treatment, then just run to Fox News and continue spouting the same bullshit they did before.

Different era

Jackson50

Cuomo is a huge step backward after Obama, yuck.

And yeah, Clinton would be the oldest ever elected president: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States_by_age

No one has ever been elected president at 70+
Clinton would be younger than Reagan at inauguration.
I never once mentioned LBJ. So what the fuck is the point in mentioning him? My post was mainly referring to modern times, which would be Generally accepted as Carter onwards, after the Vietnam War.
You didn't qualify your statement, though. You stated better than any other president.

ezekial45

Banned
Not sure if this was posted already.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/todd-akin-legitimate-rape.php?ref=fpa

Republican Senate Nominee: Victims Of ‘Legitimate Rape’ Don’t Get Pregnant

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Akin said that even in the worst-case scenario — when the supposed natural protections against unwanted pregnancy fail — abortion should still not be a legal option for the rape victim.

“Let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work, or something,” Akin said. “I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdisTOKom5I

Oh, well if you're comparing the severity of Obama's accomplishments to LBJ, then yeah, Johnson has him smoked. However most of Obama's initiatives have been focused on helping a lagging economy, so there isn't much of an opportunity to make sweeping reforms like Great Society or New Deal. Healthcare is the only one that comes close.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Akin said that even in the worst-case scenario — when the supposed natural protections against unwanted pregnancy fail — abortion should still not be a legal option for the rape victim.

“Let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work, or something,” Akin said. “I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.
Oh my god. I can't believe this fucker is running ahead of McCaskill in the polls.

Piecake

Oh, well if you're comparing the severity of Obama's accomplishments to LBJ, then yeah, Johnson has him smoked. However most of Obama's initiatives have been focused on helping a lagging economy, so there isn't much of an opportunity to make sweeping reforms like Great Society or New Deal. Healthcare is the only one that comes close.

Hrmmm...

Clevinger

Averon

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/ryan-backed-stimulus-2002-george-bush.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Ryan Backed Stimulus Bill Under President Bush In 2002

Rep. Paul Ryan is a vocal critic of President Obama’s stimulus bill. As one of the GOP’s most outspoken critics of government spending, he has not only argued that the stimulus did not work, but that the entire premise of deficit spending to jump-start the economy is flawed.

But in 2002, Ryan sang a different tune.

When President George W. Bush pushed a stimulus package in 2002 in order to shore up the staggering economy, Ryan urged his Republican House colleagues to pass the bill. In a floor speech dug up by MSNBC host Chris Hayes, Ryan made the case for deficit spending in order to extend unemployment benefits and stimulate job creation.

Will Ryan be called out on this? Will this finally kill the claim he's some "deficit warrior"?

RDreamer

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/ryan-backed-stimulus-2002-george-bush.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Ryan Backed Stimulus Bill Under President Bush In 2002

Will Ryan be called out on this? Will this finally kill the claim he's some "deficit warrior"?

Seems like the media asked this on a few of the morning shows, and the surrogates/Republican talkers still just kept sucking up to Ryan about his seriousness. They made all sorts of excuses for him. They claimed the stimuluses weren't the same thing, and they claimed that, "well the democrats haven't had a budget in a long time!"

Loudninja

Adviser says Romney to release 2011 tax return by October 15
Ed Gillespie, a senior Romney adviser, indicated the former Massachusetts governor would release the 2011 return by October 15, about three weeks before the November 6 election, but refused to say exactly when.

"Look, October 15 is the deadline for the IRS on an extension. We have said as soon as they're ready we're going to release them. And I believe they'll be ready before that," Gillespie told the "Fox News Sunday" program.

"They're being finalized. There's a lot of forms that have to come in from other entities that the governor doesn't have control over," Gillespie added.

He said Americans will have "ample information" about Romney's taxes with the disclosure of the 2010 return and the planned release of the 2011 return.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/19/us-usa-campaign-taxes-idUSBRE87G0RN20120819

This is becoming such a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom