• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

Then again, Nate Silver has terrible political instincts.

I'll wait for some substantial numbers. Silver is a decent political analyst, but he sounds out of his element here until some numbers arrive. My own instincts tell me MO stays red, McCaskill loses by 2-5 points

I never quite understand these positions. Silver has the best track record of any analyst at predicting elections correct? What are you basing your position on, here?

DasRaven

Actually that race wasn't not that close. Stebenow was up what, 5-7 points? against him? She did best against his numbers actually, whereas the other candidates could have possibly defeated her

Stabenow's average lead was 2-4 points(early February), after the uproar it went to 5-7, now it is 7-12.

teiresias

It is still a long time till election day. This could be a story that is quickly forgotten.

In just a week we are going to ht the two week blitz of the GOP and DEM conventions. That could crush the legs of this story and let this guy survive.

It could go a number of ways. If it were a comment from an interview only available in print format it probably wouldn't be as bad, but since it's available on video of the guy actually saying it, it could easily turn into this year's "Macaca moment". Being from Virginia, I remember George Allen's "Macaca moment" that put Webb in the Senate really helped turn that race, and the fact that it was on video definitely helped in bringing attention to it.

This might be potentially even more potent since it's relatable to an entire gender voting block, and the language doesn't have the same unfamiliarity that the term "Macaca" did at the time. I was honestly shocked the "Macaca" thing really had as much traction as it did since whenever it was brought up the term's origins really had to be explained. This "legitimate rape" and complete misunderstanding of how pregnancy works is much easier to get across to the general public.

GhaleonEB

I never quite understand these positions. Silver has the best track record of any analyst at predicting elections correct? What are you basing your position on, here?

His modeling and related insight are superb. His off the cuff predictions before data roll in are often a ways of the mark. I'd like him to be right on this one, but some skepticism here is healthy.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Nate does statistical analysis on hundreds of polls through his proprietary model to predict elections. His statement here is based on his perception that the race (which polling has shown her losing) has turned around on these comments alone.

We aren't saying he is wrong, we are saying making a prediction here has no statistical basis. It's a gut instinct only and that is not the predictions that have made him successful.

Opiate

His modeling and related insight are superb. His off the cuff predictions before data roll in are often a ways of the mark. I'd like him to be right on this one, but some skepticism here is healthy.

This I can understand, but I wasnt referencing this particular case alone; Ive frequently seen posters criticize Silver more generally.

Miletius

I wouldn't bet on MacCaskil just yet either, but I do think it is now her moment to seize the initiative. If she can make a big deal out of this she might just hold onto her seat.

Akin was by far the craziest of the primary challengers and the whole reason why Dems were excited about his nomination was because there was potential for him to mess up in a spectacular fashion.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This I can understand, but I wasnt referencing this particular case alone; Ive frequently seen posters criticize Silver more generally.

Yeah, I don't get where it comes from either. He probably has the most advanced model for predicting election results.

I also think he is right about "Legitimate Rape Gate" assuming it gets play.

I wouldn't question his models, but as Ghal said his political analysis is often questionable. Which is understandable considering he has said many times he doesn't consider himself a political analyst.

In terms of numbers, people forget he pretty much called 2010 near perfectly as well. He's not a one hit wonder

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It could go a number of ways. If it were a comment from an interview only available in print format it probably wouldn't be as bad, but since it's available on video of the guy actually saying it, it could easily turn into this year's "Macaca moment". Being from Virginia, I remember George Allen's "Macaca moment" that put Webb in the Senate really helped turn that race, and the fact that it was on video definitely helped in bringing attention to it.

This might be potentially even more potent since it's relatable to an entire gender voting block, and the language doesn't have the same unfamiliarity that the term "Macaca" did at the time. I was honestly shocked the "Macaca" thing really had as much traction as it did since whenever it was brought up the term's origins really had to be explained. This "legitimate rape" and complete misunderstanding of how pregnancy works is much easier to get across to the general public.

But the thing here is that the narrative for republicans is set and cast. All this stuff is just compounding it to the point where it will be an assumption about them until election day. They hate women and brown people, are scientifically backward and are working for billionaire tax breaks.

That doesn't mean they can't get elected but the above will be apparent until the ballots close. They can't fix that. Other things will have to supersede it.

GhaleonEB

I wasn't responding in the general, just to the specific item. In general, I think Nate's polling and modeling insights are second to none; I read his blog regularly.

teiresias

But the thing here is that the narrative for republicans is set and cast. All this stuff is just compounding it to the point where it will be an assumption about them until election day. They hate women and brown people, are scientifically backward and are working for billionaire tax breaks.

That doesn't mean they can't get elected but the above will be apparent until the ballots close. They can't fix that. Other things will have to supersede it.

I'd argue it's one thing for there to be a general view of a party of being anti-women and/or anti-minority, and it's quite another for a voter to see someone running to represent their actual district or state say something that explicitly ties them to that view in a local or state-wide election. I think it works in the same way that generally people say they don't mind their Reps or Senators while at the same time Congress has horrendous approval ratings.

Stabenow's average lead was 2-4 points(early February), after the uproar it went to 5-7, now it is 7-12.

Last February, in another instance of apparent racial insensitivity, the Republican candidate Pete Hoekstra of Michigan, a former United States representative, released an attack ad against the Democratic incumbent, Debbie Stabenow, that was deemed offensive by Asian-American groups. Mr. Hoekstra’s standing also declined in the polls. He had trailed Ms. Stabenow by an average of 8 percentage points in three polls conducted in late 2011, before the ad’s release. But the gap averaged 18 points in two polls taken just after the commercial was released, although it has recovered some since.
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/akin-comments-could-swing-missouri-senate-race/

Snake

I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't like/trust Nate Silver. I have followed his analysis since he was just "Poblano" on DailyKos and I have the highest regard for his statistical models. However, in terms of by-the-gut politics he is on the level of a below-average pundit.

In other words, if he's analyzing hard numbers then his analysis is to be respected. And if he's guessing what future poll numbers are going to be (as he is in this case) then you're just as well off (or moreso) reading someone's guess on PoliGAF.

It is worth mentioning that Nate's forecast of the MO-SEN race will not change based on his instant "2:1" gut reaction to this Akin story, but rather on the polling that is to come.

Wray

He did drastically underestimate democratic turnout in the 08 Election. Obama ended up winning states like PA, NM, CO, and NV by quite a bigger margin than he predicted.

GhaleonEB

After reading this, I will revise my thoughts on Nate's prediction about how it could swing the race. He cites some convincing precedent. I'm very interested in the next round of polling for the Senate seat there. Given how much attention the comments got, I'm sure we'll have a fresh round of polling there soon.
He did drastically underestimate democratic turnout in the 08 Election. Obama ended up winning states like PA, NM, CO, and NV by quite a bigger margin than he predicted.

True, but my memory is that he all but nailed the election result overall, missing just a super close state or two (Indiana). He also did a good job predicting the House in the 2010 election cycle.

PPP needs to go in Missouri next week. Of course I'm sure Ras will have a poll out saying Akin's actually gaining from this

GhaleonEB said:
True, but my memory is that he all but nailed the election result overall, missing just a super close state or two (Indiana). He also did a good job predicting the House in the 2010 election cycle.
I think the only Senate contest he missed in 2010 was Nevada, which was based on janky polling.

Wray

Pretty sure the only states he got wrong were Indiana and NC.

He got North Carolina actually. Every state but IN.

Nobody got IN though I believe.

From wiki:

Silver's final 2008 presidential election forecast accurately predicted the winner of 49 of the 50 states as well as the District of Columbia (missing only the prediction for Indiana). As his model predicted, the races in Missouri and North Carolina were particularly close. He also correctly predicted the winners of every U.S. Senate race.

After reading this, I will revise my thoughts on Nate's prediction about how it could swing the race. He cites some convincing precedent. I'm very interested in the next round of polling for the Senate seat there. Given how much attention the comments got, I'm sure we'll have a fresh round of polling there soon.

One thing here is that Missouri is a more conservative than VA or MI I think.

According to Lawler, the show was relatively free of politics until the end, when Williams Jr. made the following claims: "We've got a Muslim president who hates farming, hates the military, hates the U.S. and we hate him!"

The comments were apparently met with applause and loud cheers.
Wow.

I hope Hank Williams gets lots of press appearances to spread that message. That brand of crazy will turn off independents. And Romney is so spineless that he won't denounce it unless he is cornered.

Yeah, he's Muslim that hates the US and the military . . . and that is why he had Seal Team Six take out Usama Bin Laden. Makes perfect sense.

Marvie_3

Banned
Wow.

I hope Hank Williams gets lots of press appearances to spread that message. That brand of crazy will turn off independents. And Romney is so spineless that he won't denounce it unless he is cornered.

Yeah, he's Muslim that hates the US and the military . . . and that is why he had Seal Team Six take out Usama Bin Laden. Makes perfect sense.

That's just a cover up.

/right-wing conspiracy

So Obama hates farming which is why Republicans in Congress are blocking the farm bill.

Also what will let Heidi Heitkamp keep ND for the Democrats, but whatever.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
There's something about this President that makes some people go crazy. What could it be?

PkFNF.gif

Not a clue.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh god, was so happy to see E.J. Dionne on MTP today, point out that Republicans NEVER liked medicare the way it was and want to privatize it, and are trying to act like they're the big defenders of the program.

Ummmm.... what?

The FBI probed a late-night swim in the Sea of Galilee that involved drinking, numerous GOP freshmen lawmakers, top leadership staff – and one nude member of Congress, according to more than a dozen sources, including eyewitnesses.

During a fact-finding congressional trip to the Holy Land last summer, Rep. Kevin Yoder (R-Kan.) took off his clothes and jumped into the sea, joining a number of members, their families and GOP staff during a night out in Israel, the sources told POLITICO. Other participants, including the daughter of another congressman, swam fully clothed while some lawmakers partially disrobed. More than 20 people took part in the late-night dip in the sea, according to sources who were participants in the trip.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79865.html?hp=t1

Weird, but so what? It's distasteful because they were doing it on our dime in large part to pander to Christian Fundamentalists, but as for swimming in the ocean at night? Who cares?

Wonder why the FBI was investigating though.

It probably wasn't on our dime . . . they were probably free 'fact-finding' trips given by Israel or some Israel-supporter group. And that is arguably worse since it is corruption, IMHO.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It probably wasn't on our dime . . . they were probably free 'fact-finding' trips given by Israel or some Israel-supporter group. And that is arguably worse since it is corruption, IMHO.

That's probably it, the FBI is probably looking to see if it counts as a bribe or a pay off or something.

Jooney

Just catching up with the Sunday talk shows, and one thing that stood out for me is the defence from conservatives of Ryan’s plan to voucherise Medicare. Their argument is that the American people want choice in their healthcare; they want the responsibility and accountability of making their own choices when it comes to access to healthcare services.

My question is: Who actually think likes this?

My understanding is that a lot of Americans have a negative view of their relationship with their private health insurance company. Why would they want to replicate those issues in their old age when they need access to reliable health care the most?

GhaleonEB

Weird, but so what? It's distasteful because they were doing it on our dime in large part to pander to Christian Fundamentalists, but as for swimming in the ocean at night? Who cares?

Wonder why the FBI was investigating though.

The best thing about this story is the following quote:

Rep. Kevin Yoder said:
"After dinner I followed some Members of Congress in a spontaneous and very brief dive into the sea and regrettably I jumped into the water without a swimsuit."

What a wonderful way to describe skinny dipping. I look forward to similar phrasing being used in future scandals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom