• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad the GOP and DEM conventions are soon. Akin can just ride out the storm until they hit, which will wash this story from the headlines and public consciousness.
If McCaskill is any good at her job she'll bring this up constantly in the debates.

It's not like he reversed his position either.

AndyD

aka andydumi
He could always honestly apologize and point out that his understanding of these issues was based upon faulty ideas.

But that'll never happen.

It would sink any future statement he makes on any topic. Everyone would question everything and ask him for proof and who he got his ideas from. Even if correct in the future, it would open up a huge window of attacks.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's it. I just thought it was amusing.

Btw, I love the fact that Akin's now defending himself by saying he used the wrong word, as if THAT was the main problem people had with it.

Really this is the most amazing thing to have happened since Ryan was picked as VP.

He's saying on Hannity he's not dropping out. Doubling down.

GhaleonEB said:
He knows this pressure will end tomorrow, and he'll have the GOP's full support rallying behind him for the rest of the race.
Exactly, if he's still polling close to McCaskill it's not like Republicans are just going to ignore it. They need Missouri to win the Senate.

Clevinger

He knows this pressure will end tomorrow, and he'll have the GOP's full support rallying behind him for the rest of the race.

sFtJZ.jpg

PPP out saying "Scott Brown leads in our new Massachusetts poll...first time since June 2011...that will be out tomorrow"

even i have to admit i find Scott more likeable than Warren, wonder if a few dem moderate voters feel the same

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
PPP out saying "Scott Brown leads in our new Massachusetts poll...first time since June 2011...that will be out tomorrow"

even i have to admit i find Scott more likeable than Warren, wonder if a few dem moderate voters feel the same

It is funny, because Warren seems to be fine overall on positions, but I really dislike her...and Scott Brown is just a handsome man.

The fact that Warren can't beat a republican in MA tells me she's not a good candidate. Too wonkish perhaps, and not in a personable way like Al Franken or even (yes) Paul Ryan.

The fact that Warren can't beat a republican in MA tells me she's not a good candidate. Too wonkish perhaps, and not in a personable way like Al Franken or even (yes) Paul Ryan.
In all fairness, name one Massachusetts Democrat who would be beating Scott Brown at this point who isn't a Kennedy.

He's snookered everyone into believing he's so gosh-darn moderate while voting for every right-wing piece of shit up for discussion, much like Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins.

In all fairness, name one Massachusetts Democrat who would be beating Scott Brown at this point who isn't a Kennedy.

He's snookered everyone into believing he's so gosh-darn moderate while voting for every right-wing piece of shit up for discussion, much like Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins.

BEN FUCKING AFFLECK. Dude should have ran.

gcubed

i did until he publicly stated that election laws should be ignored when they favor the democrat

Chichikov

What does PoliGAF think about this article? http://www.forbes.com/sites/louiswo...eral-motors-is-headed-for-bankruptcy-again/4/

The idea of GM going bankrupt again? What would the fallout be? Would it prove the bailout wasn't worth it? Would Mitt Romney flip flop on the issue again?
I think he makes a pretty unpersuasive argument.

And the fact that word 'Obama' appears more times than 'profit', 'earning' or any derivation of the concept suggests that it might be more of a politically motivated piece than a serious analysis of GM's future prospects.

Chumly

God I hope akin doesn't drop out and hands this to the dems on a silver platter. There is still a chance he might win (frightening i know) but he is trying to make it easy for Mccaskill

Mike Capuano

“I feel like I’m almost a New Hampshire resident,” noted Romney, who owns a vacation home here on Lake Winnipesaukee. He quipped, “It would save me some tax dollars.”

Oh Mittens.

Seriously, who is prepping him!?!?!?

What does PoliGAF think about this article? http://www.forbes.com/sites/louiswo...eral-motors-is-headed-for-bankruptcy-again/4/

The idea of GM going bankrupt again? What would the fallout be? Would it prove the bailout wasn't worth it? Would Mitt Romney flip flop on the issue again?

It's a terrible article written by someone who has no clue about the auto industry.

Autoblog said:
Ever hear the expression that there aren't enough hours in the day? For General Motors and Ford, there weren't enough days in July. These two domestics sold fewer vehicles last month than the year before, but they also had two fewer days to work with, July having only 24 selling days to work with this year versus last year's 26. So you may hear some news reports decrying these two automakers for slipping sales, but in actuality, the average number of vehicles that each sold per day in July increased, and that's what really counts.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/01/july-2012-not-enough-time-edition/

Autoblog said:
The saga of the U.S. Treasury's involvement with General Motors has become the theater of call and response: the call is Treasury announcing how much it stands to lose on its bailout of GM, the response is a turgid chorus of "Government Motors!" and "They should have died!" peppered with a few defenders trying to make themselves heard. Well, here we go again, since the latest Treasury report filed states that it stands to lose $25.1 billion on the 500 million shares of GM stock it still owns.

There are two qualifiers with this, the first being that the estimate is low; it was made when GM's stock price was $22.20, but at the close of trading on of August 17 the stock price was $22.01. The second and much more important qualifier is that Treasury only loses $26 billion, give or take, if it actually sells the stock. Treasury's report to Congress on the state of its investment doesn't mean a sale is imminent, it's just an update. The only thing we've heard about the date of a sale is that Treasury has no immediate plans on such, preferring to wait until the market catches up to the progress it feels GM has made.

At one time the government expected to lose $44 billion on the auto bailout. Even if it takes a $26 billion bath on GM and adds the $1.3 billion loss on Chrysler, that's still a 33-percent improvement on what could have been. And that's called "looking at the bright side."
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/20/feds-expect-greater-loss-on-auto-bailout

Bob Lutz's response:
Forbes contributor Louis Woodhill must deserve some sort of special recognition for his thinly-argued op-ed contribution forecasting an early second demise of GM.
Chicken Little's Second GM Bankruptcy: The Gold Medal For Silly Op-Ed Pieces

Remember when the Tea party was supposedly about the deficit and being fiscally responsible?

And now it turns out it is about Christian-right nuts and people that will bloat the deficit with massive tax cuts for the rich. Basically, the Tea Party was just the GOP base.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Remember when the Tea party was supposedly about the deficit and being fiscally responsible?

And now it turns out it is about Christian-right nuts and people that will bloat the deficit with massive tax cuts for the rich. Basically, the Tea Party was just the GOP base.

I remember in the early days they drew fiscal conservatives people from across the spectrum of social positions. And many of the supporters differentiated and defended the movement that way. But it seems it has transformed into a social ultra conservative movement with little regard for fiscal policy or consistency with the early days.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Mostly true, only the GOP base used to have some semblance of sanity. I am still writing my open letter for sanity that I will post up around the country. The country needs two sane political parties.

Cubsfan23

Banned

Tea Party was always about being against Obama. You can figure out why

RDreamer

They were never about anything other than being emotionally manupulated and used like cattle by their captors, the major founders of the Republican party. They were nothing more than just doubling down on most of the stupid crap being pushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom